NORTH EASTERN FIRE BRIGADEThe North Eastern Fire Brigade came into operation on the 14th May, 1948 under the Fire Services Act, 1947 covering the counties of Aberdeen, Banff and Kincardine, and the joint county of Moray and Nairn, and the county of the city of Aberdeen. The Brigade continued until Regionalisation on 16th May, 1975 when part of it went into Highland and Islands Fire Brigade and the remainder formed Grampian Fire Brigade.
1948 to 1975 Central Fire Station, 256 King Street, ABERDEEN.
|1948 to 1953||Firemaster James Ross O.B.E.|
|1953 to 1968||Firemaster William Henry Woods M.B.E., O.B.E., MIFireE, AFICD|
|1968 to 1975||Firemaster J. C. Donnachie|
|King Street||WT||King Street (1)||WT|
|North Anderson Drive||WT||North Anderson Drive (2)||WT|
|Tomintoul||Volunteer||Upgraded to Retained in 1952||Tomintoul (36)||RT|
|Burghead (39)||Volunteer||Closed??? Still there 1961|
|Fochabers||Volunteer||Upgraded to Retained in ?||Fochabers (37)||RT|
|Gordonstoun||Volunteer||Disbanded 1951/1952||Gordonstoun (38)||Volunteer|
|Grantown on Spey||RT||Grantown on Spey (30)||RT|
|Tornashean Station 40 formed in 1957/58 then disbanded|
|Strathdon Volunteer Station 40 established in 1958/59||Strathdon(40)||RT|
|Number opened||Station||Occupied||Official Opening|
|North Anderson Drive||Feb 1968||27/6/1968|
Terry, a black labrador, who for eight years was mascot and watchdog in
five Aberdeen fire brigade stations, is dead. but he will not be forgotten.
At North Anderson drive station he has found a last resting place and over his grave a stone commemorates his service.
In our picture Leading Fireman Ross is seen tending the grave, Inset is Terry.
Originally the pet of Company Officer Brown, a war time officer in the fire service, Terry was retained as a watchdog and mascot when his master left the service.
During the war he was stationed at Mannofield, Craigie, Loanings, Queen's Cross and Crown Street, and ultimately went to North Anderson Drive station.
Terry revelled in a trip on the fire engine and sometimes accompanied the firemen when they were called out to country heath fires.
When the alarm bell rang, Terry was first aboard the engine every time and was very disappointed when, owing to the nature of the call, he had to be left behind.
The gravestone was presented to the firemen, who inscribed on it, in bold black lettering -
"In memory of Terry, who died December 21st, 1948. Our canine mascot for eight years."
(Aberdeen Press and Journal. 7th February, 1949.)
NEW SOUND FOR FIRE BRIGADE
Aberdeen fire engines will have a new sound from next week. Two tone horns have now
been fitted to fire engines in Aberdeen and will be used as a warning of approach during
the day time.
The bells will continue to be used between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m. when traffic is light.
Said Firemaster W. H. Woods of the North Eastern Fire Brigade, when he gave the news: "I would appeal to the public - pedestrians as well as drivers - to co operate by leaving the way clear for the engines to get through when they hear the horns."
The change over has been made because the bells were not penetrating enough to be heard
by drivers of diesel and heavy vehicles.
The new system, added Mr Woods, would be gradually extended to all the other units within the Fire Board's area.
(Aberdeen press and Journal. 16th July, 1965.)
MAIN INDEX 1948 INDEX