DALSERF FIRE BRIGADE
In 1908 they had at least six men.
Fire Brigade Display – On Saturday afternoon the fire engine recently purchased by Dalserf Parish Council from Glasgow Corporation, gave a public display in Mr Burns’ ground. Mr Ferguson, one of the engineers of the Fire Brigade of the Glasgow Corporation, was present and superintended the operations. Steam was raised, horses attached to the engine, and driven to Burns’ ground all inside fourteen minutes. A supply of water was obtained from the hydrants in Victoria Street and Academy Street, which filled the tank, from which a strong flow of water was sent a considerable distance in the air. A large number of Parish Councillors were present, as well as the general public, who seemed greatly interested in the new engine. The only complaint, we understand, was that the pressure could have been better, and we look to the County Council remedying this defect at an early date.
(Hamilton Advertiser, November 21, 1908. Page 6)
Dalserf Fire Brigade – On Wednesday last the local Brigade had their first call since being equipped with their fire engine. From the time the alarm was given until the engine was yoked and four firemen at their post only seven minutes lapsed. This was considered quite good under present conditions, but fortunately the fire was not serious, and had been got under, so the services of the Brigade were not required.
(Hamilton Advertiser, December 12, 1908. Page 6)
MAIN INDEX OLD FIRE BRIGADES INDEX