DENHOLM FIRE BRIGADE
Denholm is a small village located between Jedburgh and Hawick in the Scottish Borders region of Scotland.
The monument on the Green got an annual wash by the local fire brigade whose headquarters was somewhere in the Wynd.
After the end of the Second World War the feuars and householders Council worked hard to provide recreational facilities on the Green. From 1942-1951 they ran a putting green on the south-west corner, re-erecting the old fire hose shed as a hut for the equipment.
The old brigade of local volunteers was not set-up again after the Second World War. From then on the service was provided from Hawick.
Ramsay mentions a local fire brigade (formed in 1890 with eight men) with a base in the Wynd, and remembers them giving the Leyden's monument an annual wash.
The above information is from John Ramsays Denholm 1900 on http://www.denholmvillage.co.uk/johnramsay.html
MAIN INDEX PRE WWII INDEX