R27 FRASERBURGH

2 Pump  Retained.

 

Stations

 

1931                                 Mid Street, FRASERBURGH.

2000                                 Dennyduff Road, FRASERBURGH.                            Photo

 

 

Firemasters

 

<1931 Mr Alexander (Burgh Surveyor)
1931 to 1938 Mr Hamilton (Burgh Surveyor)
1938 to 1939 Mr Meldrun (Burgh Surveyor)
1939 to Firemaster Elrick

1960

Sub Officer J. Rufford ?

? to 13/10/1988

Station Officer Victor  J. Marsh (Vic) (there in 1983)

 

Appliances

 

1900s to 1931

Wheelbarrow

22/9/1930 to end WWII

AV4203  Rolls Dennis    *

1931

Dennis Self Propelled Pump

1939

Dennis Self Propelled Pump and an Appliance with a Trailer Pump.

1980

Received 1 Ford D111317/Angloco

*   Preserved in Lothian and Borders Fire Museum in Laurieston Place, 2007.

 

 

First

Second

Rescue Unit

Prime Mover

1980

PSA90J

EAV435D

 

 

1990

WSE291Y

WSE292Y

B999KSO

 

1998

J448XSO

J449XSO

B999KSO

 

2000

J448XSO

J449XSO

 

 
2001 Y538RRS J448XSO    
2003 Y538RRS M992PSS   H291SSA
2005 Y538RRS M992PSS   SV54DWY
2008 Y538RRS M992PSS    
2011/7/25 SV57BPY Y538RRS    
2016 July SV11ATF SV57BPY    

2001    Pods for the Prime Mover are Damage DCU4, Rescue HRU4 and Support ISU4.
2008    SV54DWY was moved to Elgin and the Pods returned to HQ,

 

EAV435D

Dennis F36/Dennis

WrT

PSA90J

Ford D6-00/Carmichael

WrL

WSE291Y

Dodge G1313/Fulton and Wylie now Mountain Range(RTA)

WrL

WSE292Y

Dodge G1313/Fulton and Wylie

WrT

B999KSO

Dodge G10c/Mountain Range

RU

H291SSA Scania 93M-210/Multilift PM

J448XSO

Scania 93M-210/Reliance Mercury

WrL

J449XSO

Scania 93M-210/Reliance Mercury

WrT

M992PSS Scania 93M-220/Emergency One WrL
Y538RRS Scania 94D-220/Emergency One WrL
SV54DWY Scania 94D-230/Multi Lift PM
SV57BPY Scania P270/Emergency (CP31 10 man cab) WrL
SV11ATF Scania P230/Emergency One (CP31 10 man cab) WrL

 

 

Brigades

? to 1941

Fraserburgh Fire Brigade

1941 to 1948

National Fire Service

1948 to 1975

North Eastern Fire Brigade

1975 to 2005

Grampian Fire Brigade

2005 to 2013 Grampian Fire and Rescue Service (name change only)
1/4/2013 Scottish Fire and Rescue Service

 

Notes

 

A new station was built in 1959.

 

 

The North Eastern Fire Area Administration Scheme Order, 1948

  Equipment Retained
  1 Self propelled Pump 1 Section Leader
  1 Towing Unit with Light Pump inside towing Major Pump 2 Leading Firemen
  1 Towing Unit towing Major Pump 17 Firemen

 

The North Eastern Fire Area Administration Scheme Order, 1952

  Equipment Retained
  2 Pump Appliances 1 Company Officer
    1 Section Leader
    2 Leading Firemen

 

 

16 Firemen

 

Fraserburgh had a call sign of 70 in Grampian Fire and Rescue Service, this was changed to R27, the new National Call Sign, when the Control at Mounthooly closed on 8/11/2016.

Fraserburgh Fire Brigade

 

The origin of the Fire Brigade in Fraserburgh is rather obscure. It is known that in the early part of the century the Fire Brigade equipment consisted of a hand-barrow with stand-pipes and a few lengths of leather hose.
This was the position immediately prior to 1931, the responsibility for the Fire Brigade being that of the Burgh Surveyor of the day, at that time a Mr. Alexander. The 12 firemen were also Town Council employees.
In 1931 the Council purchased its first motor driven fire appliance – a Dennis machine with a Braidwood body, having a built-in self-propelled pump. The Burgh Surveyor at this time was a Mr. Hamilton. It is understood that on the day the new fire appliance was installed a fire call was received but that as the machine was not fully equipped and immediately available, a call for assistance had to be sent to rivals and near-neighbours Peterhead – much to the chagrin of the local firemen.
The location of the Fire Station in Fraserburgh at this time was in Mid Street and the method of calling-out the firemen was by sounding the Gas Works horn – even in the middle of the night! Call bells, however, were installed in the firemen’s houses in 1936.
Mr. Meldrum who succeeded Mr. Hamilton as Burgh Surveyor then took over the responsibility of the Brigade just prior to the 1938 Fire Brigade Act coming into force. Under the new scheme, which embraced the whole of Aberdeen County, a second fire appliance and trailer pump was purchased for Fraserburgh to cover the county district. (Although delivery of the new appliance was not received until after the commencement of the war.) About this time too, the Auxiliary Fire Service came into being for a possible war emergency.
When war came in September 1939, the early days saw quite a few air raids on the East Coast of Scotland, particularly in the North East, and it was soon realised that the duties of the Burgh Surveyor and Firemaster had to be divorced were the two to function efficiently in face of the added hazards brought about by war.
Consequently the first whole time Firemaster to be appointed was Mr. Elrick, previously a part time fireman, and in a short period he was given a small nucleus of whole time men from which to develop a bigger Brigade.
Fire Brigades throughout the country had hardly settled into the new organisation set-up  brought about by the 1939 Act when the formation of the National Fire Service in 1942 resulted from the need to adapt the organisation and method to meet the problems set up by intensive incendiary attacks on our cities.

DAL/SDC                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      18th September 1959

Copied from a display board in Fraserburgh Fire Station.

 

 

 

2001 Scottish Ambulance Service crews now operate from this station but their vehicles are parked outside.

 

If you know of any mistakes in this or have any additional information please let me know.

 

MAIN INDEX                         1975 INDEX                         GRAMPIAN INDEX