R30 OLDMELDRUM

1 Pump Retained.

 

Stations

 

29/10/1964 to                          Commercial Road, OLDMELDRUM.     Photo

 

Firemasters

1958 Sub Officer Ingram (senior)
16/3/1961 to June 1967 Sub Officer Lewis Lobban
? Sub Officer Willie Duncan

? to 15/2/1980

Sub Officer J.  (Curry) McKay

? to 31/5/1988

Sub Officer J. C. Ingram  (Sub O in 1982)

1989

Sub Officer B. G. Poppe

2002 Sub Officer Jock Reid

 

Appliances

? ST3276 Dennis P
? GLT712 Austin K2/Home Office ATV

1980

VSA634L

Ford D1013/HCB Anguus

WrL

1986

C99RSA

Dodge G13c/Mountain Range

WrL

2000

L749KRS

Scania 93M-210/Emergency One

WrL

2001 Y539RRS Scania 94D-220/Emergency One WrL

 

 

Brigades

? to 1941

?

1941 to 1948

National Fire Service

1948 to 1975

North Eastern Fire Brigade

1975 to 2003

Grampian Fire Brigade

2003 to Grampian Fire and Rescue Service (name change only)
   

 

 

Notes

 

 

The North Eastern Fire Area Administration Scheme Order, 1948

  Equipment Retained
  1 Towing Unit with Light Pump inside towing Major Pump 1 Leading Fireman
    9 Firemen

 

The North Eastern Fire Area Administration Scheme Order, 1952

  Equipment Retained
  1 Pump Appliance 2 Leading Firemen
    8 Firemen

 

ST3276 is an Ex-Inverness machine which may have arrived in 1931.

This was Stn 13 in 1958.
This was Stn 17 in 1977.
Oldmeldrum had a call sign of 74 in Grampian Fire and Rescue Service, this was changed to R30, the new National Call Sign, when the Control at Mounthooly closed on 8/11/2016.

 

The shield winners – proud moment for Meldrum fire crew

<PHOTO> On behalf of Oldmeldrum firemen Sub Officer Lewis Lobban (right) accepts the Arbuthnett Shield for efficiency from Provost George Wood, Portsoy, chairman of the North Eastern Fire Area Joint Board. Looking on are Firemaster W.H. Woods (second left) and Assistant Firemaster John Donnachie (extreme right), and members of the award winning crew. The presentation took place at the opening of the new £13,000 fire station at Oldmeldrum yesterday.

Fireman George to represent North East at London parade

Oldmeldrum’s new £13,000 fire station was officially opened yesterday with a shrill blast of its siren – and the firemen were given a day to remember.
Besides the official opening ceremony at their new station in Commercial Road, they were presented with an award for efficiency. And it was announced that an Oldmeldrum fireman had been chosen to represent the North East Fire Service in the Remembrance Day Parade at the Cenotaph, London, next month.
Provost George Wood, Portsoy, chairman of the North Eastern Fire Area Joint Board, opened the new station, the 20th to be built in the board’s area since 1948.
He also handed over the Arbuthnott Shield, which the Oldmeldrum fire crew won jointly with Kintore in 1963 as the most efficient crews of part time firemen in the North East.

Appeal

The man chosen to represent the North East Fire Service at the Cenotaph on Sunday, November 8, is Fireman George Bruce, Spring Gardens, Urquhart Road driver of the town fire tender.
Provost Wood said provision of new fire stations cost a large sum of money but that must be regarded as an insurance against loss of property, goods and perhaps life which could result from one large fire.
Firemen needed the best equipment available in the interest of maximum efficiency in tackling fires.
Some fire stations in the North East were understaffed, he added, and he appealed to employers not to stand in the way of any of their employees who were interested in becoming part time firemen.
The Oldmeldrum fire unit, previously accommodated in premises in Urquhart Road, moved into the new station a few weeks ago when they were allocated a modern pump and water tender.
Baillie Douglas C. Ferguson, Oldmeldrum, presided at the opening in the absence of Provost Tom Webster, who is ill, and the Rev. P.C. MacQuoid, convener of Aberdeen County Council, moved the votes of thanks.

Lossie date

The next new fire station to be opened in the North East is at Lossiemouth on November 26. The new Huntly station will open a few weeks later.
The fire board also held a meeting in Oldmeldrum Town Hall yesterday when Firemaster W.H. Woods and Councillor R.M. Bruce, Aberdeen, vice chairman of the board, were appointed delegates to a conference to be held in Edinburgh on November 19 by the Scottish Industrial Safety Groups Advisory Council.
The conference will consider aspects of the new Offices, Shops and Railway Premises Act
(Press and Journal Friday, October 30, 1964. Page 7. Aberdeen edition)

 

Proud Moment for Oldmeldrum Firemen

The first appliance based at Oldmeldrum can be dated back to the 20’s when a pump was berthed at (some would say conveniently) the Glengarioch Distillery. The appliance was a horse-drawn pump of the manual type; more often than not the carriage being pulled along by the poor, unsuspecting fire crew.
With the arrival of the 30’s, the local town council agreed upon a decision to purchase a more modern fire tender — most of the finance for this acquisition coming from contributions made by the local farmers. They eventually settled on a second hand Dennis Tender which was duly supplied from the Inverness area. Perhaps it was just as well the crew came from farming stock as they had to brave the elements, sitting on the open carriage dressed in trench coats, boots and issued brass helmets, incidentally, no payment was made for their fire fighting efforts.
With the arrival of the war years, Oldmeldrum became a member of the North Eastern Area of the National Fire Service, with premises at the town’s Urquhart Road — a building complete with cinder floor. Supplied to them from the brigade was an army issue type Austin Tender, with trailer pump attached.
A large part of the history connected with Station 74 is their success in the Arbuthnott Shield — a trophy donated to the brigade by Viscount Arbuthnott to determine the most efficient retained station on an annual basis.
During the award’s first nine years in existence, from 1958, Oldmeldrum had a phenominal success, winning the shield on six occasions, and runners-up thrice.
The 1964 presentation was made by the then Chairman of the North Eastern Fire Area Joint Board, Provost Wood J.P., on the 29th October; the date of the official opening of the Commercial Road premises. Receiving the award on behalf of the Oldmeldrum crew was Sub Officer L. Lobban — ex of brigade Control.
Last year, Station 74 regained the trophy after a sixteen year period, Firemaster Bond presenting Sub Officer Ingram with the award. He was following in his father’s footsteps in fact, as Sub Officer Ingram senior was officer in charge of the Oldmeldrum crew who were the first recipients of the award in 1958.
More than anything, it is a team effort which contributes to the winning of the Arbuthnott Shield, with this in mind, the following members of Oldmeldrum Fire Station are to be congratulated: Sub Officer Ingram, Leading Fireman Hamilton, Firemen Abel, Duncan, Fowlie, Milne, Rae, Reid and Taylor.
The photograph shows Firemaster Thomas Bond presenting the shield to Sub Officer Ingram at a presentation dinner held in the Morris’s Hotel, Oldmeldrum.
Photo by courtesy of Turriff and District Advertiser.
(Northern Light Edition No. 9. Page 27.)

 

Sub Officer (in charge) L. Lobban of Oldmeldrum from 16/3/1961 to June 1967 became a wholetime Control Operator in Control Room at Brigade Headquarters in 1967 and retired as a Senior Fire Control Operator on 4th August 1981 after completing 34 years in the Brigade
(Grampian Fire Brigade Firemaster’s Report 1981. Page 50.)

 

If you know of any mistakes in this or have any additional information please let me know.

 

MAIN INDEX                         1975 INDEX                         GRAMPIAN INDEX