R51 ALFORD

1 Pump Retained

 

Stations

? to 1946?

Wooden shed, Hayes Lane, ALFORD                    Photo

1946? to

Bank Brae, ALFORD.                                                 Photo

 

Firemasters

1960   

Sub Officer Jim. T. Murray

 

Sub Officer Norman Brown

 ? to 15/12/1981

Sub Officer Jock Milne

? to 31/8/1987

Sub Officer Alan G. Murray  (there in 1983)

1987 to 2002 Sub Officer Jim A. Pirrie
2002 to 2005 Sub Officer Doug Craik
2005 to Sub Officers Doug Craik and Gary Shearer sharing OIC and working back to back shifts as both Wholetime.

2009 Rank to Role now Watch Managers.

Appliances

1946   Wooden Cart  
? BAV434 Bedford/Gregory Uxbridge Limousine HrT
1953 HSA334 Commer QX/Miles WrT *
1974? YSA625 Dennis F26/Dennis WrT
1980 XSA130M Dennis F48/Dennis WrL

1980

XSA130M

Dennis F4488/Dennis

WrL

1990

RSS281X

Dodge G1313/Fulton and Wylie

WrL

2000

M991PSS

Scania 93M-220/Emergency One

WrL

2009 SV53CNY Scania 94D-230/Emergency One (10 man cab) WrL

* Preserved and a working pump at Bridge Inn, RATHO.

 

Brigades

 

? to 1941

?

1941 to 1948

National Fire Service

1948 to 1975

North Eastern Fire Brigade

1975 to 2003

Grampian Fire Brigade

2003 to Grampian Fire and Rescue Service (name change only)
   

 

Notes

 

 

The North Eastern Fire Area Administration Scheme Order, 1948

  Equipment Retained
  1 Towing Unit with Light Pump inside towing Major Pump 1 Leading Fireman
  1 Towing Unit 9 Firemen

 

 

 

The North Eastern Fire Area Administration Scheme Order, 1952

  Equipment Retained
  1 Pump Appliance 2 Leading Firemen
    8 Firemen

 

 

The police used to ring a large bell above No. 6 Ashgrove Road to summon the firemen to a call, then a siren was installed on the apex of the station roof which was sounded during the day and at night bells rang in the firemen’s houses (these bells were tested daily). The siren was then moved to the top of the drill tower where it still summoned the firemen until modern technology replaced it for calling out the firemen with pagers or pocket alerters, although the siren remained as part of the Early Warning System for quite some time.

1972 The station was refurbished and the accommodation wing on the right of the bays added.

LSA9 a Dennis TL (preserved) is kept in the second bay.

Alford had a call sign of 86 in Grampian Fire and Rescue Service, this was changed to R51, the new National Call Sign, when the Control at Mounthooly closed on 8/11/2016.

 

If you know of any mistakes in this or have any additional information please let me know.

 

MAIN INDEX                         1975INDEX                         GRAMPIAN INDEX