R33 STONEHAVEN

2 Pump, 1 Prime Mover Retained.

 

Stations

? to ?

Shed back of Town Hall

? to 1980

Allardice Street STONEHAVEN              Photo

Feb 1980

Brickfield Road STONEHAVEN.            Photo

 

Firemasters

1959 to Sub Officer William Young   (there in 1972)

? to 31/3/1989

Station Officer W. J. Ross (there in 1986)

? to ? Station Officer Ian Davidson

1995? to 30/8/2018

Station Officer William John Strachan QFSM (still there 2016, now called Watch Commander)

31/8/2018 Watch Manager ?

 

Appliances

 

 

 

Morris Commercial

Tdr/TV

1951

GSA121

Commer/Cuerden

WrT

 

NAV575

Dennis F8/Dennis

P

 

TSA982

Dennis F26/Dennis

WrT

 

WSA958

Dennis F26/Dennis

WrT

1967

GAV574E

Commer VA/Carmichael Vista View

WrT

1969

MSA346G

Commer VA/Carmichael Vista View

WrT

1971

PSA89J

Ford D600/Carmichael

WrL

 

HSA49N

Dennis F48/Dennis

WrL

 

GSS11V

Ford D1617/CFE

WrL

1980

LSO481W

Ford D1617/Angloco

WrL

 

1980

Received 1 Ford D1317/Angloco

1983

Received 2 Dodge G13/Carmichael

 

 

First

Second

Water Carrier

Prime Mover

Personnel Carrier

1980

HSA449N

TSA982

     

1992

H289SSA

H290SSA

     

1998

H289SSA

H290SSA

P94ERS

   

2000

H289SSA

H290SSA

P94ERS

 

JDD266D

2001 T198ASE H289SSA   P91ERS JDD266D
2004 T198ASE T197ASE   N403XRS JDD266D
2005 T198ASE T197ASE   SV54DWZ  
2006 T198ASE T197ASE P94ERS    
2011 SV60AUX SV60AUY P94ERS    

 

TSA982

Dennis F26/Dennis

WrT

JDD266D

Land Rover 109 (for Relief Crews)

L4V

HSA449N

Dennis F48/Dennis

WrL

H289SSA

Scania 93M-210/Mountain Range

WrL

H290SSA

Scania 93M-210/Mountain Range

WrT

N403XRS Scania 93M-220/Multilift PM
P91ERS Scania 94D-220/Multilift PM

P94ERS

Scania 94D-220/Whale Tankers

WrC

T197ASE Scania 94D-220/Emergency One WrL
T198ASE Scania 94D-220/Emergency One WrL
SV54DWZ Scania 94D-230/Multi Lift PM
SV60AUX Scania P230/Emergency One WrL
SV60AUY Scania P230/Emergency One WrL

2001 the Pod for the Prime Mover is a Damage Pod (DCU 1)

2004 Pods at station are Damage Control Unit,  Damage 1 and Heavy Rescue Unit, Rescue 1. Spare 4x4 Mule is also here.

 

Brigades

? to 1941

?

?1941 to 1948

National Fire Service?

?1948 to 1975

North Eastern Fire Brigade?

1975 to 2003

Grampian Fire Brigade

2003 to Grampian Fire and Rescue Service (name change only)
   

 

Notes

 

 

The North Eastern Fire Area Administration Scheme Order, 1948

  Equipment Retained
  2 Towing Units with Light Pumps inside towing Major Pumps 1 Section Leader
    2 Leading Firemen
    17 Firemen

 

The North Eastern Fire Area Administration Scheme Order, 1952

  Equipment Retained
  2 Pump Appliances 2 Section Leaders
    2 Leading Firemen
    16 Firemen

 

 

A new 2 bay station was opened in 1980.

In June 2008 Watch Manager John Strachan was awarded the Queen's Fire Service Medal.

Stonehaven had a call sign of 95 in Grampian Fire and Rescue Service, this was changed to R33, the new National Call Sign, when the Control at Mounthooly closed on 8/11/2016.

Watch Manager John Strachan (Stonehaven) received his 40-year long service certificate from ACO Scott. (16/11/2016)

 

 

Public Subscribed £65 For Stonehaven’s First Fire Engine

A new fire station may be built in another part of Stonehaven in the late 1970s. This was indicated at a meeting of the North East Fire Area Joint Board in Aberdeen when Mr J. C. Donachie, firemaster, Aberdeen, said they would have to start thinking about leaving their present premises for a new purpose-built station.
With the increasing traffic in Allardice Street, especially in the summer, there is often difficulty in getting the fire engines out quickly when traffic has built up at up at the lights.
The firemaster will therefore be looking for a site where the engines will be able to make a quick get away.
Fire-fighting methods have changed greatly since the days when the first engine in Stonehaven was bought by public subscription for £65.

24 VOLUNTEERS

The money was raised, together with about £20 for a house in which to keep the engine, ladders and buckets, by contributions from 1/- upwards.
At a meeting of the town council on May 5, 1859, Provost Kinnear submitted a letter addressed to the council by Bailie Thomson about obtaining a fire engine for the town.
The engine was bought in Glasgow, and on September 1, 1859, it is reported that “a meeting of the inhabitants was convened in the Music Hall on the invitation of the town council to inspect the new fire engine and to appoint a brigade to manage it in cases of emergency. Bailie Thomson gave a detailed account of the nature of the gearing and mode of working the engine. About 24 young men volunteered their services to form a fire brigade”.
The following month the brigade was called to house fire in the Old Town, and their speed and efficiency were highly praised.

A HAND CART

About 43 years ago the brigade, which was then still under the jurisdiction of the town council, possessed a hand-cart, some reels of hoses and a few ladders. Two of the men pulled the hand-cart, while the others pushed.
They were called out to fires by the town’s bell ringer, and older members of the public recall seeing the late Mr George Little dashing from the town hall to the bell tower at Market buildings to ring the bell. The fire station was behind the town hall.
In 1929 the first mechanised equipment was bought. It consisted of a fire tender and trailer pump. On the tender were hose reels and a large fire extinguisher.
The fire brigade remained the responsibility of the town council until the outbreak of war, when it became the Auxiliary Fire Service.
Under the Fire Services Act 1947 local fire brigades were centralised under joint committees.
The present equipment at Stonehaven comprises a Ford water tender with ladder and fire equipment. It has a 40 ft. extending ladder, crash equipment and a 400 gallon water tank.
There is also a Commer pump water tender fitted with a 400 gallon tank and a light weight pump. Both machines carry breathing apparatus.

IN CHARGE

Mr William Young who has had 23 years’ service with the brigade, is sub. officer in charge of the Stonehaven station, a post he has occupied for the last 13 years. The brigade’s strength is 19.
Our photograph shows Stonehaven’s fire tender and pump with members of committee and fire brigade in November, 1929. Standing on fire tender (left to right): James Taylor, James George, Alex. McIntosh. Seated on tender: William Christie, Robert Malcolm, Alex. McDonald, Wallace Burness. John Gordon, Henry Pirie. Standing: W. B. Malcolm, Bailie P. B. Murray. George Jamieson (burgh surveyor), Bailie Donald McLean, Bailie Commander White, Councillor George Gibson, Councillor Joseph McDonald.
(The Mearns Leader, Friday, November 10,1972.)

 

 

 

 

If you know of any mistakes in this or have any additional information please let me know.

 

MAIN INDEX                         1975 INDEX                         GRAMPIAN INDEX