Q02 CENTRAL

2 Pumps, 1 Aerial, Wholetime.

Stations

1899 to 1998

256 King Street, ABERDEEN, AB24 5BU.                   Photo

30/7/1998

2 Mounthooly Way, ABERDEEN AB24 3ER.            Photo

 

 

Firemasters

Aberdeen Fire Brigade

1928                        Firemaster Frederick George Bell

 

Appliances

 

?

RG2222

Halley 500/600

MP

?

RG1066

Leyland/Metz 85 Wooden

TL

?

RG3712

Leyland FK Cub

P

?

RG6980

Morris

ET

?

SO???? 

Bedford Limosine

?

?

BRG586

Leyland Lynx Limosine 500/700

PE

?

GLT747

Austin K2/Home Office

ATV

?

GLT824

Austin K2/Home Office

ATV

?

GLT878

Austin K2/Home Office

ATV

?

GLT902

Austin K2/Home Office

ATV

?

GLW410

Leyland TD7/Merryweather

TL

?

GLW474

Austin K2/Home Office/Limo

HrT

1949

FSA380

Dennis F7/Dennis

PE

1951

GSA120

Commer/Cuerden

WrT

1951

GSA999

Dennis F7/Federal industries/Magirus 85

TL

1952

HAV909

Dennis F12/Dennis

PE

1953

JSA67

Dennis F8/Dennis

WrT

1954

KAV339

Dennis F8/Dennis

WrT

1955

KSA363

Dennis F8/Dennis

PE

1955

LSA7

Dennis F12/Dennis

ET

1955

LSA9

Dennis F21/Dennis

TL

1955

MAV722

Dennis F8/Dennis

WrT

1956

NAV150

Land Rover 108/Carmichael

L4P

1958

PAV294

Dennis F26/Dennis

DP

1958

PAV922

Dennis F26/Dennis

DP

1959

RSA193

Dennis F27/Dennis/Metz

TL

1960

SSA309

Dennis F26/Dennis 

WrT

1960

SSA310

Dennis F26/Dennis 

WrT

1960

SSA311

Dennis F26/Dennis 

WrT

1961

VAV496

Dennis F26/Dennis 

WrT

1961

VAV497

Dennis F26/Dennis

WrT

1961

VAV498

Dennis F26/Dennis

WrT

1963

YSA623

Dennis F36/Dennis

WrT

1963

YSA625

Dennis F36/Dennis

WrT

King Street

1964

BSA673B

Dennis F36/Dennis

WrT

1966

EAV433D

Dennis F36/Dennis

WrL

1966

EAV435D

Dennis F36/Dennis

WrL

1968 

MSA83G

Commer VCKW/HCB Angus

FoST

1970

NAV835H

AEC Mercury 7 (Ergo)/Bennett/Simon SS675

HPP

1974

XSA127M

Dennis F48/Dennis

WrL

1974

XSA129M

Dennis F48/Dennis

WrL

1974

XSA130M

Dennis F48/Dennis

WrL

1975

HSA449N

Dennis F48/Dennis

WrL

1979

GSS11V

Ford D1617/CFE

WrL

1979

GSS12V

Ford D1617/CFE

WrL

1980

LSO470W

Ford D1617/Angloco

WrL

1981

SSO66X

Scania LB81/Angloco/Metz

TL

?

A995DSS

Scania 82M/Angloco/Metz

TL

1983

A996DSS 

Dodge G13/Carmichael

WrL

1983

A997DSS

Dodge G13/Carmichael

WrL

1987

D360VSA

Dodge G13/Mountain Range

WrL

1987

D361VSA

Dodge G13/Mountain Range

WrL

1987

D362VSA

Dodge G13/Mountain Range

DCU

1988

E810ASA

Renault G13/Mountain Range

WrL

1988

E811ASA

Renault G13/Mountain Range

WrL

1990

G316MSA

Renault G13/Mountain Range

WrL

1990

G317MSA

Renault G13/Mountain Range

WrL

1991

H289SSA

Scania 93M-210/Mountain Range

WrL

1991

H290SSA

Scania 93M-210/Mountain Range

WrL

1992

J445XSO 

Scania 93M-210/Reliance Mercury

WrL

1992

J446XSO 

Scania 93M-210/Reliance Mercury

WrL

1993

K281FSO

Scania 93M-210/Emergency One

WrL

1993

K282FSO

Scania 93M-210/ Emergency One

WrL

1993

K286FSO

Scania 93M-250/Angloco/Metz

TL

1995

L748KRS

Scania 93M-210/Emergency One

WrL

1995

L749KRS

Scania 93M-210/Emergency One

WrL

 

 

1981 Received 2 Dodge G13/Fulton and Wylie (One is RSS281X)
1985 Received 2 Dodge G13
1986 Received 2 Dodge G13/Mountain Range Water Tender Ladders
1987 Received 2 Dodge G13/Mountain Range

 

 

First

Second

Aerial 1

Aerial 2

Salvage Tender

PM

Fire Investigation Water Rescue Unit

1951

FSA380

 

 

 

 

 

   

1980

GSS9V

GSS10V

RSA193

 

MSA83G

 

   

1990

G316MSA

G317MSA

SSO66X

 

D362VSA

 

   

1992

J445XSO

J446XSO

SSO66X

 

D362VSA

 

   

1998

M990PSS

M991PSS

A995DSS

 

D362VSA

P91ERS

   

2000

R334RSA

R335RSA

K286FSO

E812ASA

 

 

   
2002 R334RSA W818OSA SV51EVY          
2003 R334RSA W818OSA SV51EVY SV03FBG        
2004 W818OSA SV53CNX SV51EVY SV03FBG        
2006 SV53CNX SV06AFE SV51EVY SV03FBG        
2008 SV57BPY SV06AFE SV51EVY SV03FBG        
2009 SV09BPK SV09BPO SV51EVY SV03FBG        
2011 SV09BPK SV09BPO SV51EVY SV03FBG   SV09BPF    
2012 SV12AZB SV12AZC SV51EVY SV03FBG   SV09BPF    
2013 April SV12AZB SV12AZC SV51EVY SV03FBG   SV09BPF SV12VKX  
2015 Feb 27 SV64AEO SV64AEU SV51EVY SV03FBG   SV09BPF SV12VKX  
2015 July SV64AEO SV64AEU SV51EVY     SV09BPF SV12VKX  
2015 Sept SV64AEO SV64AEU SV51EVY     SV09BPF    
2018 April SV64AEO SV64AEU SV51EVY     SV09BPF   EX64WXM

 

2000        If there are enough men the two aerials are on the run, if not the TL is on the run. The HP is also used as a brigade spare.

2003        Central Fire Station has both a Bronto Skylift and a Hydraulic Platform. The HP is in fact the service reserve aerial appliance, but to maintain staff competence and to ensure the vehicle is kept at operational readiness, these appliances are alternately crewed with the Bronto on the run for three weeks followed by the HP for one week in a continuous cycle.

2008        Fire Education Unit Pod is on station.

2011        Mass Decontamination Equipment Pod is on station.

2013        Mass Decontamination Equipment Pod and Environmental Pod are on station.

2015        HP moved to McDonald Road, Edinburgh.

2018 Feb    Water Rescue Unit put on the run with a Ford Ranger, Operational Support Vehicle, temporarily until the Mercedes Sprinter WRU arrives.

 

 

FSA380

Dennis F7/Dennis

PE

RSA193

Dennis F27/Dennis/Metz

TL

MSA83G

Commer/HCB Angus

Fo/ST

GSS9V

Ford D1617/CFE

WrL

GSS10V

Ford D1617/CFE

WrT

SSO66X

Scania LB81/Angloco/Metz

TL

A995DSS

Scania 92M/Angloco/Metz

TL

D362VSA

Dodge G10c/Mountain Range

DCU

E812ASA

Scania 92M/Saxon/Simon SS263

HP

G316MSA

Renault G13c/Mountain Range

WrL

G317MSA

Renault G13c/Mountain Range

WrT

J445XSO

Scania 93M-210/Reliance Mercury

WrL

J446XSO

Scania 93M-210/Reliance Mercury

WrT

K286FSO

Scania 93M-250/Angloco/Metz

TL

M990PSS

Scania 93M-220/Emergency One

WrL

M991PSS

Scania 93M-220/Emergency One

WrT

P91ERS

Scania 94D-220/Multilift

PM

R334RSA

Scania 94D-220/Emergency One

WrL

R335RSA

Scania 94D-220/Emergency One

WrT

W818OSA Scania 94D-220/Emergency One WrL
SV51EVY Scania 94D-260/Angloco/Bronto 32 MDT ALP
SV03FBG Scania 94D-260/Saxon/Simon SS263/DAP HP
SV53CNX Scania 94D-230/Emergency One (CP31 10 man cab) WrL
SV06AFE Scania 270/Emergency One  (CP31 10 man cab) WrL
SV57BPY Scania 270/Emergency One (CP31 10 man cab) WrL
SV09BPK Scania P230/Emergency One (CP31 10 man cab) WrL
SV09BPO Scania P230/Emergency One (CP31 10 man cab) WrL
SV12AZB Scania P280/Emergency One WrL
SV12AZC Scania P280/Emergency One WrL
SV12VKX Volkswagon Crafter FIU
EX64WXM Ford Ranger 4x4 OSV
SV64AEO Scania P280/JDC WrL
SV64AEU Scania P280/JDC    (Cobra Cold Cutting Gear fitted) WrL

The 10 man cab is to carry additional equipment the crew is still a max of 6.

 

Brigades

1721 to 1941

Aberdeen City Fire Brigade

1941 to 1948

National Fire Service

1948 to 1975

North Eastern Fire Brigade

1975 to 2003

Grampian Fire Brigade

2003 to 2013 Grampian Fire and Rescue Service (name change only)
2013 Scottish Fire and Rescue Service

 

 

 

Notes

 

 

The North Eastern Fire Area Administration Scheme Order, 1948

  Equipment Wholetime
  1 Pump Escape 2 Company Officers
  2 Self Propelled Pumps 4 Section Leaders
  1 Turntable Ladder 4 Leading Firemen
  1 Emergency Tender 38 Firemen
  1 Light Trailer Pump  
  1 Wheel Barrow Pump  

 

The North Eastern Fire Area Administration Scheme Order, 1952

King Street and North Anderson Drive had between them :-

  Equipment Wholetime
  2 Turntable Ladders 4 Company Officers
  9 Pump Appliances 8 Section Leaders
  1 Other Operational Vehicle 8 Leading Firemen
    76 Firemen
    including 3 Watchroom Attenddants

 

Establishment 2000

 

Equipment

Wholetime

 

2 Water Tender Ladders 

4 Station Officers

 

1 Turntable Ladder

4 Sub Officers

 

 

12 Leading Firefighters

 

 

44 Firefighters

 

 

2000 If there are enough men the two aerials are on the run, if not the TL is on the run. The HP is also used as a brigade spare.

Central had a call sign of 96 in Grampian Fire and Rescue Service, this was changed to Q02, the new National Call Sign, when the Control at Mounthooly closed on 8/11/2016.

 

ABERDEEN/NORTH-EASTERN FIRE BRIGADE

It is over two hundred and fifty years ago since the City Fathers of Aberdeen realised the necessity of taking some precaution against fire. It was in the year 1721 when it was decided to appoint a watchman to patrol the town at night to give the alarm if a fire should break out. It must be appreciated that Aberdeen in those days was considerably smaller than it is now. It was also about that period that Aberdeen possessed its first fire engine. Regrettably there is no record as to the type or construction of the appliance or where it was kept.
It was not until the year 1776 that records indicate that the first real fire station in Aberdeen was at a building called the Water House in Broad Street and the appliance or fire engine was kept on the ground floor of the building. There is no record as to whether or not the fire engine then was the same one of 1721.
Between 1776 and 1855 there were many destructive fires and the townspeople were greatly alarmed at this serious state of affairs. In 1855 the Council decided to put the fire brigade on a permanent and efficient basis and they agreed to an annual sum of 100 be set aside for this purposes. Up to this time insurance companies suscribed to keep up the fire brigade of Aberdeen.
The type of fire engine in 1855 was a manual pump. That is a hand operated pump. This required twenty-four men, twelve on each side of the engine, to operate the pump handles. Volunteers from the spectators were always available to do this strenuous task. It is reckoned that ten to fifteen minutes pumping was enough to practically exhaust most human beings.
As time went on improvements were made on that type of appliance but it was not until 1885 that Aberdeen provided itself with a mechanical appliance. This fire engine took the form of a horse drawn steam pumping appliance and this was kept in the fire station which by this time had moved to Frederick Street. This appliance did noble work up to the year l893 when a more up to date fire engine was installed. This appliance was called the 'Princess Mary!. This also was a steam appliance but of a much improved design.
The fire station at Frederick Street was looked upon as the acme of perfection until the spring of 1896 when a serious disaster occurred. Although the fire brigade was called a permanent brigade the firemaster and the personnel at that time carried out various other occupations. For instance the firemaster was also the Lighting Inspector and the remainder were slaters. On receipt of a fire call this meant that a messenger had to be sent all over town to look for the firemaster, who in turn had to hunt up his assistants. Valuable time was thus wasted and it is not surprising that a serious disaster eventually happened. This fire took place in Marischal Street where the brigade arrived approximately one hour after the alarm was given and were too late to save some of the occupants and the building, which was destroyed. As a result of the disaster and the resultant outcry the Town Council established the fire brigade on a basis somewhat similar to the present arrangement where the fire calls were received at the fire station where the personnel were available and they turned out very quickly after the call was received.
One has to bear in mind that at this period the fire engines were horse drawn and a call meant that the horses had to be harnessed to the appliance. This procedure took very few minutes, indeed the horses being so well trained that when the fire bell sounded they knew exactly what was required of them and they positioned themselves as soon as the stable door was opened.
Some fires, of course, were some distance from the fire station which meant the horses had to gallop this distance pulling this heavy fire engine and possibily a fire escape ladder and it was not unknown for a horse to collapse and on occasion die after reaching the fire.
In 1897 plans where put in hand for the building of a new fire station in King Street. This was to be known as the Central Fire Station and in 1899 this very impressive granite building was officially opened by Rotarian, Sir Alexander Lyon, the Convener of the Lighting, Watching and Fires Committee at that time.
The staff consisted of a Firemaster, Deputy Firemaster, eleven permanent and ten auxiliary firemen. The appliances at this time were two horse drawn steam pumps, one horse drawn escape ladder and six horses.
About this time a number of sub-fire stations were opened in various parts of the City in the following places: - Torry, Woodside, Mile-End. In each of these stations was kept a hose cart and ladders, with a fireman in constant attendance. The stations fulfilled a valuable service in as much that an appliance of a sort complete with an experienced fireman was on the scene of a fire in those further reaches of the City much sooner than the fire engine from King Street which also turned out to the fire. One must bear in mind that the city was not nearly as extensive as it is now. Nevertheless transport was not as speedy as it is now and it was necessary to provide this service. With the advent of motor fire appliances which were faster the brigade arrived more or less at the same time as the fireman from the sub station and eventually the sub stations were closed down. What with the traffic situation now, fire stations in Torry and Woodside may eventually be required again.
In the year 1905 Aberdeen Fire Brigade, as it was known, made another significant step with regard to modernisation. The Fire Committee bought a motor hose-reel appliance from Messrs. Merryweather, Greenwich, a firm of fire engineers. This appliance was reputed to be the first motor fire engine in Scotland. Very useful work was carried out by this machine and in March 1912 another motor appliance was added to the brigade fleet. This appliance was a 75 H.P. "Halley" which carried a five hundred gallon capacity turbine pump.
The purchase of this machine was virtually the beginning of the end of horses in the brigade. Four horses were dispensed with leaving only two to pull the horse drawn escape ladder or steamers where necessary. The "Halley" fire engine attended most of the fires in the City which varied from 160 - 210 calls per year.

1906 Merryweather Hose Reel Tender

Between 1921 and 1937 during the period that Firemaster F.G.Bell, M.I.Fire E., was in charge the following appliances and equipment was added:-

1912

1

Halley Motor Pump 500 gpm

192?

1

Morris Commercial Utility Tender.

1930

1

30 H.P. 'Leyland Cub'  Self Propelled Pump complete with hose reel and 30 ft. extension ladder. RG3712

1921

1

65 H.P. Dennis Pump Escape. RS4553

1922

1

65 H.P. "Halley" Self propelled Pump complete with hose reel and 30 ft Ajax extension ladder. RS5222

1930

1

65 H.P. Leyland Metz 85 ft. Turntable Ladder. RG1066

 

1

Inspection Car.

 

1

Trailer Pump.

 

1

'Aberdeen' Deep Lift Pump. Morris LIM Emergency Tender RG6980

1939

1

Bedford LIM

 

The strength of the Brigade had been increased as follows:-

1

Firemaster

18

Firemen

1

Deputy Firemaster

1

Station Attendant/Clerk

1

Station Officer

4

Auxiliary Firemen

1

Motor Mechanic

 

 

 

The duty system in operation during this period allowed each man one day off in every four of seventeen hours and twenty four hours respectively. Otherwise the personnel were on duty. The working day being made up from 7 a.m. - 4 p.m. on Station. From 4 p.m. they were allowed to go to their homes which were nearby the fire station and in which alarm bells were installed. In the event of a fire the man receiving the call at the fire station rang the general alarm bell in the station which was coupled to the firemens houses ringing them simultaneously. It was reckoned that during the time the personnel were actually on the station the average time for a turn-out to a call was 30 - 40 seconds. During the stand-down period when the personnel were at home sleeping the time take was 80 - 90 seconds. In the event of a serious fire the personnel who were off duty could be called for duty.
There were also, throughout various parts of the city, police box call points which could also be used to summon the fire brigade if it was required. The requirement in making an emergency call, from a telephone kiosk was merely to ask the operator for the "Fire Brigade".
With the advent of the automatic telephone exchanges it was necessary to bring in the present 999 facility.
In 1938 an auxiliary service was instituted and this was known as the Auxiliary Fire Service (A.F.S.). This service was also later incorporated in the National Fire Service.
During the 1939/45 war the Aberdeen City Fire Brigade was nationalised as were all fire brigades in Britain in August 1941 and was from then on part of the National Fire Service (N.F.S.). This situation remained until 1948 when the N.F.S. was disbanded and the brigades returned to the local authorities. At least in England and Wales this was the case. In Scotland, Fire Areas were established numbering eleven altogether. These were areas which consisted of cities, burghs and counties grouped to form one area i.e. North-Eastern Fire Area consisted of the City and County of Aberdeen and the counties of Moray and Nairn, Banff and Kincardine. The area involved was in the region of 3,600 square miles and was protected by the new North-Eastern Fire Brigade which had its Headquarters in Aberdeen.
Fire stations were established in strategic parts of the area and each was responsible for a particular section. Apart from the whole-time stations in Aberdeen at the Central Fire Station at King Street and a temporary new station at Anderson Drive, the remaining personnel were on a retained basis. That is to say the men worked at their normal employment but were available in the event of a fire call. They were summoned to the fire station by the sounding of a siren (ex air raid warning sirens) during the day and call bells during the night. These sirens could be operated by the General Post Office telephone staff on receipt of a call or by the local police.
As telephone communications improved so the procedure for calling out the retained personnel had to be altered. In the North-Eastern Fire Area it was decided to centralise the calls on to the Control Room at Brigade Headquarters. This enabled all fire calls to be routed direct to the Control in Aberdeen and the sirens operated from Area Control.

 

Fire stations were established in the following places: -

Aberdeen

2 Wholetime

Aberchirder

1 Retained

Stonehaven

1 Retained

Macduff

1 Retained

Inverbervie

1 Retained

Banff

1 Retained

Laurencekirk

1 Retained

Portsoy

1 Retained

Banchory

1 Retained

Cullen

1 Retained

Aboyne

1 Retained

Buckie

1 Retained

Ballater

1 Retained

Keith

1 Retained

Braemar

1 Retained

Dufftown

1 Retained

Strathdon

1 Retained

Aberlour

1 Retained

Alford

1 Retained

Tomintoul

1 Retained

Kintore

1 Retained

Grantown-on-Spey

1 Retained

Inverurie

1 Retained

Rothes

1 Retained

Oldmeldrum

1 Retained

Fochabers

1 Retained

Ellon

1 Retained

Elgin

1 Retained

Peterhead

1 Retained

Lossiemouth

1 Retained

Fraserburgh

1 Retained

Forres

1 Retained

Maud

1 Retained

Nairn

1 Retained

Turriff

1 Retained

Gordonstoun

1 Volunteer

Huntly

1 Retained

Burghead

1 Retained

 

In 1968 a new administrative headquarters and operational fire station manned by whole-time personnel was opened at North Anderson Drive. The fire station in King Street was still maintained operational because of its strategic position in relation to the fire risk in that part of the City.

 

 

FIREMASTERS

l835 to 1878 Firemaster W. B. Bolton
1878 to 1896 Firemaster Anderson
1896 to 1921 Firemaster Inkster
1921 to 1941 Firemaster F. Bell
1941 to 1948 National Fire Service
1948 to 1953 Firemaster J. Ross
1953 to 1968 Firemaster W. Woods
1968 Firemaster J. Donnachie.

 

 

Typed from an article of unknown origin.

 

 

Aberdeen City Fire Brigade

1721

Fire Appliance

1776

Fire Appliance kept at water house in Broad Street

1776 to 1835

Insurance companies subscribe to Fire Appliances

1835

Permanent base annual sum 100.

From notes by Jimmy Slater the rest already in above document.

 

 

 

If you know of any mistakes in this or have any additional information please let me know.

 

MAIN INDEX                         1975 INDEX                         GRAMPIAN INDEX