2 Pump Retained.
? to 1978 Ferry Road, STROMNESS.
24/2/1978 to North End Road, STROMNESS, Orkney. KW16 3AG Photo
|? to 1983||Station Officer Charles Clouston (there 1978)|
|1984 to 1986||Station Officer Jim Merriman|
|10/10/1986 to||Station Officer Paul L. Hounslow|
|? to||Watch Manager Conrad Omand (there 2015 and 2018)|
|A704RAS||Dodge G13c/Fulton and Wylie||WrL|
|E393HST||Dodge G13c/Fulton and Wylie||WrL|
|R119RST||Volvo FL6-14/Emergency One||WrL|
|R120RST||Volvo FL6-14/Emergency One||WrL|
|R123RST||Volvo FL6-14/Emergency One||WrL|
|S582PSR||Volvo FL6-14/Emergency One (Ex Tayside)||WrL|
|1941 to 1948||National Fire Service|
|1948 to 1975||Northern Area Fire Brigade|
|1975 to 1983||Northern Fire Brigade|
|1983 to 2005||Highland and Islands Fire Brigade|
|2005 to||Highlands and Islands Fire and Rescue Service|
The Northern Fire Area Administration Scheme Order, 1948
|1 Towing Vehicle||1 Leading Fireman|
|1 Large Trailer Pump||5 Firemen|
See C6 Kirkwall for FOCUS on the Fire Service in Orkney.
With the new brigade structure introduced in the summer of 2003 the 3 Divisions were re-organised into 2 Commands North and South, Stromness was put into North Command. Call signs remained the same.
Stromness had a call sign of C7 in The Highlands and Islands Fire and Rescue Service, this was changed to V28, the new National Call Sign, when the Control at Inverness closed on 6/12/2016 and moved to Dundee.
The Ferry Road station was a one pump station.
New Stromness Fire Station is opened
THE new Stromness Fire Station was
officially opened at a short ceremony held at the Station on Friday evening.
Apart from the older machine, a Dennis (which is more suited to the town area especially with its 45 ft. ladder), there is also the new machine, a Dodge (HCB Angus) which is a tender carrying 400 gallons and two pumps, one of which becomes operable immediately the machine reaches a blaze.
A party from Inverness consisting of Mr Peter Drummond, Chairman of the Northern Fire Board, together with Firemaster William Shand and Deputy Firemaster Donald Grant were joined by Councillor Edwin Eunson who represents Orkney on the Board.
Mr Kenneth Martin, Orkney’s Divisional Commander, and Mr Charles Clouston the Station Officer were also present with the local brigade members.
After a short speech by Mr Drummond, Councillor Eunson, after a few words, cut the tape and declared the Station open.
Firemaster Shand made the gift of a cased chromium plated fireman’s axe to Mr Eunson; Mrs Agnes Clouston also presented Mrs Eunson with a bouquet.
The Firemaster also took the opportunity to present the Chairman Mr Drummond with a miniature fireman’s helmet as a token of the officers’ and men’s appreciation of his hepfu1ness since he had assumed chairmanship at the re-organisation of Local Government.
After the ceremony there was a tour or the new premises and Mrs Agnes Clouston and Mrs Christine Martin served refreshments.
The subsequent dinner dance, later
in the evening at the Stromness Hotel, was not without incident for
just as things were starting there was a fire callout that fortunately proved
abortive; it was due to a confusion of address between Stromness and Kirkwall.
At this evening function, at which excellent meal was served by Mr and Mrs Ken Anderson and their staff, and Mr James Robertson and his band provided the music.
Mr Drummond presented Long Service medals to the Station Officer C. Clouston and Leading Fireman “Billy” Towers.
The Station which is beside the old house of Rosebank, replaces the previous one which was situated in the harbour area.
The new Station with its glass plated garage front, upstair facilities, and training ground and tower behind was erected by Herbert Harvey Ltd.
The Architect, Sinclair MacDonald and Co. of Thurso who drew up the plans had to modify them because of foundation difficulties and the whole complex had to be brought forward nearer the road.
The former Town Council helped to negotiate the purchase of the land on which the new Station has been built, when it was owned by Mr Kenneth Wishart in Canada, who was the heir of the late Wm. Duncan Shearer whose home was at Rosebank.
A provision in the sale was that an entry strip was to be preserved for access to the fields behind, and if development eventually took place on these steep slopes the roadway was to be named after Mr Wishart
The present members of Stromness Fire Brigade—which covers the whole of the West Mainland (Swanneyside to the North and Hobbister in Orphir to The South) are as follows: Station Officer — Charles Clouston. Sub Officer — James Merriman, Leading Firemen — Gordon Smith and “Bi1ly” Towers, Firemen —David Brown, Robert Morrison, Kenneth Gunn, John Leask, David Ritchie, “Billy Towers” (Junior), William Matheson and new recruit Dennis MacDonald.
(The Orcadian, 2nd March 1978. Page 3.)
<PHOTO> Mr Edwin Eunson, one of
the Orkney members of the Northern Fire Board, seen here being presented with a
fireman’s axe at the opening ceremony of the new fire station at Stromness. His
wife was also presented with a bouquet of flowers.
(The Orcadian, Thursday, March 9, 1978.)
<PHOTO> means there was a photo in the newspaper, the photo is not on this site.
If you know of any mistakes in this or have any additional information please let me know.
MAIN INDEX 1975 INDEX HIGHLAND & ISLANDS INDEX