1 Pump, RetainedCLOSED
|Pre 1900||Water Manager's House|
|Circa1899||Waverley Hotel Coach House|
|1900||Fire Store at Mr Soutar's house|
|1948||Gibson Park, MELROSE. Photo|
|17/9/1981 to 31/8/2007||High Street, MELROSE. Photo|
|Pre 1900||Mr Scott|
|2002||Sub Officer Preston|
|2004 to 31/8/2007||Sub Officer Gordon Blaine|
|Pre 1900||Firefighting Equipment|
|1901||Shand Mason Engine|
|1936||1910 Halley Fire Engine ex Edinburgh||P|
|1940||Dennis Light 4||P|
|1990||LSF402T||Dodge G1313/HCB Angus||WrL|
|1998||K962DSC||Scania 93M-250/Emergency One||WrL/ET|
|2004||Y691BSX||Scania 94D-260/Emergency One||WrL/ET|
|1941 to 1948||National Fire Service|
|1948 to 1975||South Eastern Area Fire Brigade|
|1975 to 2005||Lothian and Borders Fire Brigade|
|2005 to 2007||Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service|
In the Integrated Risk Management Plan 2005/2010 Melrose Fire Station is to close as it is very close to the wholetime station at Galashiels. (May 2006).
Melrose station to close 31 August 2007.
The South Eastern Fire Area Administration Scheme Order, 1948
|1 Self-propelled Pump||1 Leading Firemen|
1 Water Tender Ladder
1 Sub Officer
1 Leading Firefighter
Lothian and Borders Fire Board
NEW FIRE STATION, MELROSE
SIMON TURNEY, CHAIRMAN OF THE PUBLIC SERVICES
AND FIRE BRIGADE COMMITTEE OF THE GREATER LONDON COUNCIL
THURSDAY, 17 SEPTEMBER, 1981, AT 10.45 A.M.
ORDER OF PROCEEDINGS
RECEPTION AND TOUR OF STATION
FIREMASTER W M G KERR WILL WELCOME
AND INVITE HIM TO OPEN THE STATION
MR TURNEY OPENS STATION
DEDICATION BY THE REVEREND R J HENDERSON
PRESENTATION TO MR TURNEY BY
COUNCILLOR J COOK
CHAIRMAN, THE LOTHIAN AND BORDERS FIRE BOARD
DEMONSTRATION OF DRILLS BY MEMBERS OF THE MELROSE UNIT
THE LOTHIAN AND BORDERS FIRE BOARD
Councillor James S Cook
Lothian Regional Council
CHIEF EXECUTIVE R G E Peggie, A.C.C.A., F.B.C.S.
CLERK TO THE BOARD A L McNicoll, M.A., LL.B., S.S.C.,
Director of Administration
Lothian Regional Council
TREASURER TO THE BOARD B Grosset, C.A.
Director of Finance
Lothian Regional Council
MEMBERS OF THE BOARD
LOTHIAN REGIONAL COUNCIL
Councillor Peter Boyes
Councillor James Cook
Councillor Charles D Cowan
Councillor Michael Docherty
Councillor William Drummond
Councillor William Hardie
Councillor Mrs Phyllis Herriot
Councillor George F McNeill
Councillor John P Mulvey
Councillor James Nisbet
Councillor Mrs Marjorie Noble
Councillor Paul W Nolan
Councillor Mrs Jess Rogan
Councillor George Theurer
BORDERS REGIONAL COUNCIL
Councillor Joseph P Boyle
Councillor George Craig
Councillor William Douglas
Councillor William Wilson
PARTICULARS OF MELROSE FIREMEN
Sub Officer C H Brown
Age 53 Engineering Craftsman Borders Health Board
Leading Fireman G A Little Age 48 Joiner Thomas Brown & Sons
Fireman J D Aitken Age 42 Bodyshop Foreman W & J P Hardie
Fireman J M Bell Age 28 Planner Estimator Borders Health Board
Fireman G C Blain Age 23 Joiner J S Crawford (Contract Borders) Ltd
Fireman W K Brydon Age 39 Photomec Operator Exacta Circuits Ltd
Fireman J B Downie Age 34 Storeman W & J P Hardie
Fireman F Preston Age 33 Plumber (Self Employed)
Fireman A Burrell Age 35 Superintendent Borders Regional Council
HISTORY OF MELROSE FIRE BRIGADE
From the Melrose Town Council
records, prior to the turn of the century, fire fighting equipment was stored at
Mr Scott, the Water Manager’s house. It is recorded that from the time he was
alerted, Mr Scott could have “water playing on a fire in 7 minutes, if the fire
was in Melrose Market Square”.
About 1899, the equipment was resited at the Waverley Hotel Coach House (at a cost of £4 per annum). However, consideration was being given to purchasing a “fire engine” as enquiry had been made when Hawick had an engine for sale in 1897. This had not been followed through, but in January 1900 it was proposed to form a Brigade of 10 men equipped as follows:—
10 Helmets (£8.15.0)
Waist Belts and Axes (£6.14.0)
Ladders (£5. 4.0)
and that Mr Soutar (Firemaster) provide accommodation at his house for a fire store at a rent of £3 per annum.
This proposal was carried out and on
13 February 1900 the following men were selected: —
Charles Jardine J Ramsey
William Cochrane J H Lawrie
R Murray J Gillie
George Brown Tom Shiels
Alexander Brown J McGregor
So a Brigade was formed. Later in
the year, Mr Soutar visited Edinburgh to confer with the Edinburgh Firemaster,
and in August 1901 the Melrose Fire Brigade Rules were printed.
Before the end of’ 1901, the Firemaster had started a fund with the object of collecting £100 for the purchase of a fire engine. By March 1902, subscriptions had reached £74. 9. 0 and the Town Council agreed to make this sum up to £120 which was the cost of a new Shand Mason Engine.
Following this, various sites for an Engine House were considered and, by October, agreement was reached to allow the Fire Brigade House to be built in Gibson Park.
The fire engine must have been a heavy model, as at various times difficulty was experienced in obtaining reliable means for pulling it. Horses were used, but in 1914 a contract was made with a Mrs Hamilton that the engine would be drawn by her “large motor car instead of by horses, owing to the heavy strain on the horses”.
A review of the Brigade arrangements was prompted by a fire in November 1919, which almost totally destroyed the Abbey School for Girls, Gardonlee, Ormiston Terrace, due to the water supply being “most inadequate”. All the equipment was tested by Edinburgh Fire Brigade, at a cost of £l6. l5. 0 and the method of calling out the Brigade considered. The result was that new equipment and a “Hooter”, to summon the Brigade, were bought.
Over the years, additional equipment was obtained, rules revised and one particular point of interest was a Mutual Assistance Agreement made with Galashiels in 1928. The next change of importance was in 1936 when a 1910 Halley Fire Engine was bought from Edinburgh for £100. The imminence of War in 1939 brought an Auxiliary Pump onto the scene, it being housed in the Stables at Buccleuch House. Then in 1940 a Dennis Light 4 engine was bought. Thereafter the creation of the National Fire Service brought Melrose into the South East Area and the prefab next to the Station was erected in 1942.
After the War, the Fire Services Act 1947 was introduced by Parliament to transfer the fire fighting functions from the National Fire Service to Fire Brigades maintained by Local Authorities.
Under this Act, Scotland was divided into eleven Fire Areas and Melrose became part of the South Eastern Fire Brigade in accordance with the Fourth Schedule of the Act. The whole of this area came under the command of Firemaster A B Craig until he retired in 1962; it then passed to Firemaster F Rushbrook who subsequently retired in 1970, and then onto Firemaster J Anderson who retired early in 1980. Since then, the Brigade has been under the command of Firemaster W M G Kerr.
After regionalisation in 1975, the Brigade changed its name to The Lothian and Borders Fire Brigade, responsible for approximately the same area, and is under the administration of the present Fire Board.
MELROSE FIRE STATION
Melrose Fire Station is sited on
High Street, next door to the Police Station and opposite the Greenyards. The
site is long and narrow and the drill yard is situated behind the building,
retaining as its boundary the lower part of the stone walls of the industrial
building which formerly occupied the site.
The Station, because of the restricted site width, is designed on two floors, and has accommodation for one appliance and up to 10 personnel on a Part Time Retained basis.
The building has been kept domestic in scale and is finished in traditional materials: slate, lead and rendering.
The Station contains the following
On the Ground Floor: Appliance Bay
Male and Female Washrooms and Toilets
On the Upper Floor: Lecture Room
Heating is by electric convectors and water heating is instantaneous. Particular attention has been paid to designing a heating control system to ensure that heating is only provided at the times it is actually needed.
Lothian Regional Council Department of
STRUCTURAL ENGINEER Lothian Regional Council Department of Architectural Services
QUANTITY SURVEYOR Lothian Regional Council Department of Architectural Services
SERVICES ENGINEER Lothian Regional Council Department of Architectural Services
MAIN CONTRACTOR R & J Grieve Limited (Maxton)
STRUCTURAL STEEL Readman Engineering Earlston
SLATE ROOFING W F Hollands Earlston
CARPENTRY & JOINERY Thos Brown & Sons Melrose
PLUMBING J W G Miller & Company Earlston
ELECTRICAL Lawrie Contracts Limited St Boswells
INTERNAL PLASTERWORK Halliday Brothers Earlston
EXTERNAL RENDERING Halliday Brothers Earlston
CERAMIC TILING Halliday Brothers Earlston
COATED MACADAM SURFACING Kings & Company Contracting Earlston
GLAZING J W Hay ` Hawick
PAINTING & DECORATING B.C.S. Limited Galashiels
The next page has elevations and plans of the station and the last page shows Melrose Station’s Area.
<Photo> Watch Manager Gordon Blain, right, closes the door for the final time
with fellow-firefighters, Steve Callow and Sandy Fairbairn.
If you know of any mistakes in this or have any additional information please let me know.
MAIN INDEX 1975 INDEX LOTHIAN & BORDERS INDEX