K02 McDONALD ROAD

2 Pumps, 1Aerial Wholetime.

Stations

1837 to 1877                                          Yard behind Town Hall, Constitution Street, LEITH.
1877 to 1966                                          Junction Place, Leith, EDINBURGH.          Photo
17/6/1966                                               McDonald Road, EDINBURGH                 
Photo

 

Firemasters

 

1875 to 1909                          Firemaster James Brown
1909 to 1919                          Firemaster John Young
1919 to 1920                          Firemaster John Guthrie
1920 to 1941                          Edinburgh Firemasters
1941 to 1948                          Fire Force Commander W. B. Muir  O.B.E.,  M.I.FireE.
1948 to 1975                          South Eastern Fire Brigade Firemasters
1975 to                                   Lothian and Borders Fire Brigade Firemasters

 

 

Appliances

 

1941

DSF140

Leyland/Merryweather 100’

TL

1941

GLE32

Austin K2/Home Office/SEFB

ST

1950

HSG400 

Dennis F12/Dennis

PE

?

JFS372

AEC Regent/Merryweather

TL

1952

JSG578 

Leyland Comet/HCB

P

1953

KSF404 

Dennis F8/Dennis

P

1961

WFS11

AEC Mercury/Merryweather

PL

1961

WFS12

AEC Mercury/Merryweather

P

1962

7176SF

AEC Mercury/Carmichael

P

1962

7285SF

AEC Mercury/Carmichael

PE

4999SC

AEC Mercury/Merryweather Marquis

ET

1967 

JFS741E

Bedford TKHL/HCB Angus

FoST

1972

XWS847K

Dennis F108/Dennis

WrT

BSG653L 

Bedford TKG/SMT

CU

1974

PSG865M

Dodge K1050/HCB Angus/Simon SS263

HP

1976 

OSC770P 

Dodge K850/Fulton and Wylie

WrL

1976

VMS280R

Dodge K1113/Hestair Eagle

WrT

1977 

YSF299S

Dodge K1113/Hestair Eagle

WrL

1977 

ELS631S

Dodge KC50/L&BFB

ET

1980

RFS25V

Dodge G1313/Angloco

WrL

1980

WSG107W

Dodge G1313/Carmichael

WrL

1982

HSG740X 

Dodge G1313/Fulton and Wylie

WrL

1983

NSX358Y 

Dodge S66C/Mountain Range

ET (RTA write off)

1985

B632JFS

Dodge G13/Mountain Range

WrL

1987

D467BSC 

Dodge G16L/Saxon/Simon SS263

HP

?

G240FSC 

Dodge G13/Fulton and Wylie

WrL/ET

1990 

G241FSC

Dodge G13/Fulton and Wylie

WrL/ET

 

 

  First Second Aerial Emergency Tender DIM
1990 HSG740X B632JFS D467BSC NSX359Y  
1992 G241FSC B632JFS D467BSC NSX359Y  
1998 L283NSC M137XSF D467BSC    
1998 R886FSC M137XSF D467BSC    
1999 R886FSC T236RFS D467BSC    
2003 R886FSC T236RFS SN03NBK    
2003 SN03XGA T236RFS SN03NBK    
2006 SN06FYG SN03XGA SN03NBK    
2009 SN09BJY SN06FYG SN03NBK    
2013 Dec 21 SN09BJY SN13CVT SN03NBK    
2015 July SN09BJY SN13CVT SV03FBG    MX09KRF
2015 Oct SN09BJY SN13CVT SN03NBK    MX09KRF
2017 SV65OYJ SN13CVT SN03NBK   MX09KRF

2003 The first is a Water Tender Ladder/Emergency Tender and the second is a Water Tender.

 

HSG740X Dodge G1313/Fulton and Wylie WrL
NSX359Y Dodge S66/Mountain Range ET  (Disposed 1995)
B632JFS Dodge G13C/Mountain Range WrT
D467BSC Dodge G16/Saxon/Simon S263 HP
G241FSC Dodge G13/Fulton and Wylie WrL
L283NSC Scania 93M-250/Emergency One WrL/ET
M137XSF Scania 93M-250/Emergency One WrT
R886FSC Scania 94D-260/Emergency One WrL/ET
T236RFS Scania 94D-260/Emergency One WrT
SN03NBK Scania 114G-340 Emergency One/DAP/SS263 HP
SV03FBG Scania 94D-260/Saxon/Simon SS263/DAP HP (ex Grampian)
SN03XGA Scania 94D-260/Emergency One WrL/ET
SN06FYG Scania P270/Emergency One WrL/ET
MX09KRF Iveco Daily 65C18/AES DIM
SN09BJY Scania P270/Emergency One WrL/ET
SN13CVT Scania P280/Emergency One WrL/ET
SV65OYJ Scania P280/Polybilt/JDC RP

 

Brigades

1837 to 1920

Leith Fire Establishment

1920 to 1941

Edinburgh Fire Brigade

1941 to 1948

National Fire Service

1948 to 1975

South Eastern Area Fire Brigade

1975 to 2005

Lothian and Borders Fire Brigade

2005 to 2013 Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service
1/4/2013 Scottish Fire and Rescue Service

 

Notes

 

The South Eastern Fire Area Administration Scheme Order, 1948

 

Equipment                                 

Wholetime

 

2 Self propelled Pumps            

2 Company Officers

 

1 Turntable Ladder                   

4 Section Leaders

 

1 Pump Escape                          

4 Leading Firemen

 

1 Emergency Tender                  

38 Firemen and Watchroom Attendants

 

1 Tender & Large Trailer Pump

 

In 1979 the Establishment was 1 Station Officer, 1 Sub Officer, 4 Leading Firemen and 15 Firemen per watch (4 watches).

 

Establishment 2000

 

 

Equipment         

Wholetime

 

1 Water Tender Ladder

4 Station Officers

 

1 Water Tender

4 Sub Officers

 

1 Turntable Ladder

8 Leading Firefighters

 

 

52 Firefighters

The Establishment is split over 4 watches, Red, White, Blue and Green working an average of 42 hours per week on a 2 days, 2 nights and 4 days off rota.

In the Integrated Risk Management Plan 2005/2010 McDonald Road Fire Station will close and be replaced by two one Pump Stations, one in North Leith and one in South Leith.
It is likely that in the next fiscal year the brigade will purchase a ‘combi’ appliance which will replace one Pump and the Hydraulic Platform at McDonald Road.
The Training School at McDonald Road will be relocated to a new purpose built site. (May 2006)

McDonald Road had a call sign of 50 in Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service, this was changed to K02, the new National Call Sign on 3/5/2017.

 

 

 

 

SOUTH EASTERN FIRE BRIGADE

<PHOTO> of station

McDonald Road Fire Station

 

EDINBURGH

 

South Eastern Fire Area Joint Committee

 

Opening by the Rt. Hon. William Ross  M.B.E.  M.P.

 

 

Order of Proceedings

 The Secretary of State, the Lord Provost, and Chairman of the Joint Fire Committee will inspect personnel on parade.

 The Rt. Hon. Herbert A. Brechin, C.B.E., Lord Provost of the City of Edinburgh will welcome The Secretary of State and invite him to open the Station

 Dedication by The Reverand James N. Hutchison

 Presentation of “Junior Fireman of the Year” Cup by Mrs. L. Stewart

 Presentation to The Secretary of State by the Chairman of the Joint Fire committee, Councillor Richard Wilson.

 Vote of Thanks by the Chairman

 Demonstration of Drills and Evolutions by members of the Regular Brigade and the Auxiliary Fire Service

 

 

HISTORY OF LEITH FIRE BRIGADE

The earliest record of a Municipal Fire Brigade in Leith is contained in the General Fire Regulations for the Fire Engine Department of the town of Leith, dated 1837.
The following extracts from the above regulations make most interesting reading:

“The Commissioners of Police, having provided two first rate engines with complete apparatus for protection of the community, the Committee for Fire Engines earnestly recommend that the following regulations be attended. to:
1.             The engine being lodged in a yard behind the Town Hall, Constitution Street, it is requested that on the appearance of a fire, immediate notice should be sent to the Police Office, stating as distinctly as possible where the fire is.
2.             On getting notice of a fire, the Superintendent of Police, or officer on duty, while he will instantly dispatch a Police Officer to ascertain the truth of such a report, will also send notice to the Master of Engines, and he will take care that ready access to the engines may be ensured, and that no hindrance is in the way of the Fireman.
3.             On the alarm of a fire, early notice shall be sent from the Police Office to the Provost or Chief Magistrate, also the Sheriff, the Conveners, and Members of the Fire Committee, the Manager of the Gas Works, the Officers of the Water Company.
4.             A correct list of all fire cocks to be kept in the Police Station.
5.             The Master of Engines is held responsible, and must give particular attention, and see that the engines, with the hose, conductors, and screws, are all in perfect order for service on a moments warning.
6.             When the engines are on actual service, the Master of Engines will take his orders from the Senior Magistrate who may be present, or, in absence from the Sheriff or Convener, or any Member of the Fire Committee.
7.             As nothing contributes more to increase a fire than giving access to the air, it is recommended that every means be used to exclude air by shutting all doors and windows in the premises.
8.             For the purpose of practising the firemen in working the engine, a drill should be made once every two months from 1st April to 1st October, and once every three months from 1st October to 1st April.
9.             If, unfortunately, any of the firemen, while engaged at extinguishing a fire, should be hurt or disabled, application will be made to get him the same allowance from the general Fire fund in Edinburgh as the firemen there get, and every person coming under this description must have his case distinctly stated and attested by the Master of Engines, the Superintendent of Police, and a respectable medical gentleman.
10.           As much of the efficiency of the Fire Establishment will depend on men of sober habits, the Master of Engines is particularly required to engage no person who is addicted to drunkenness, or of bad character.

SCALE OF PAY TO THE LEITH FIRE ESTABLISHMENT, 1837

PERMANENT

                Master of Engines               per annum             £ 6.            0.           0.
                Captains                                per annum             £ 3.          10.           0.
                Sergeants                              per annum             £ 2.          10.           0.
                Hosemen                               per annum             £ 1.          15.           0.
                1st Pioneers                          per annum             £ 1.          15.           0.
                2nd Pioneers                         per annum             £ 1.          10.           0.
                Shaftsman                             per annum             £ 0.          15.           0.

OCCASIONAL

DAY TURN OUT
                Master of Engines                                               £ 0.          2.             6.
                Captains                                                                £ 0.          2.             0.
                All Others                                                              £ 0.          1.             0.

NIGHT TURN OUT
                Master of Engines                                               £ 0.          4.
            0.
                Captains                                                                £ 0.          4.             0.
                All Others                                                              £ 0.          2.             0.

DRILLS
                Master of’ Engines                                              £ 0.          2.             6.
                Captains                                                                £ 0.          2.             0.
                All Others                                                              £ 0.          1.             6.

Note: The first person who arrives at the Engine House to receive 2/- in addition to this pay.
The Pioneer No.1 who arrives first at the fire shall also receive 2/- in addition to his pay.
No pay to be allowed for any of the men turning out in consequence of a false alarm, unless such an alarm is given by a police officer.”

APPOINTMENT OF FIREMASTER

In 1875, Firemaster James Brown took up his appointment as full time Firemaster of Leith. The term Firemaster now replacing Master of Engines.
Note: The title "Firemaster" first appeared in an Edinburgh Corporation Act of 1703.
In 1877 the Fire Brigade moved into their new quarters at Junction Place, or as it was known in Leith “Fire Brigade Street”. Firemaster Brown taking up residence in the flat provided above the station. He continued to serve in this capacity until his retiral in May 1909. It is interesting to note that at a Leith Town Council Meeting, Firemaster Brown was voted a gratuity of £200, and a letter of commendation was sent congratulating him on his sterling service.
Applications for the vacant position of Firemaster were received by Leith Town Council, After careful consideration, the position was given to Leith’s Assistant Firemaster, Mr. John Young. The application received from J. Urquhart of the London County Council Fire Brigade was laid on the table.
Mr. Young’s appointment paid a wage of £2. 12. 0d. per week, and occupancy of the Firemaster’s flat above the Fire Station in Junction Place.
Prior to Mr. Young taking up tenancy, it was decided to install electric light in the flat, at an estimated cost of £12.
Mr. Young continued to serve as Firemaster until May, 1919, when he tendered his resignation.
In July 1919, a short list of applicants for the vacancy of the post of Firemaster was drawn up. This consisted of the following applicants —John Guthrie (Glasgow); John Manson (Edinburgh); William J. Paterson (Glasgow). After a division in the committee, Mr. John Guthrie was duly elected Firemaster.
On the 29th July, 1919, Mr. Guthrie took up his post as Firemaster, at a salary of £250, rising to £350, per annum with free house, coal, light, uniform, and boots.
Leith was the scene of many large fires, and the following account relates to an incident in a bonded warehouse, of which there were, and still remain, a very large number in the area :-

MELROSE DROVER LIMITED

Mitchell Street

BONDED WAREHOUSE

On the l4th August, 1901, a fire call was received to the above address.
Both Leith and Edinburgh responded to this very high fire risk, and on arrival found the third floor well alight and fire spreading rapidly throughout the building.
With a major fire confronting the Brigades, it was decided to protect the adjoining tenements to prevent fire spread.
Shortly after arrival, the roof of the bonded warehouse collapsed., and burning spirits began to run down the street. To quote ‘The Scotsman’ “a few people were burned by the ‘River of Fire”.
The fire was under the command of Firemaster Pordage, as at that time Firemaster Brown of Leith was on holiday.
Estimated. Loss £30,000

CITY OF EDINBURGH EXTENSION ACT 1920

Edinburgh Fire Brigade Order, 2nd November, 1920.
On the coming into force of the above Act on this date, 2nd November, the City boundaries will be extended to take in the Burgh of Leith, the Districts of Cramond, Corstorphine, Colinton, Slateford, Longstone, Liberton, Gilmerton, Newton and Straiton in the County of Midlothian.
The Leith Fire Brigade will be incorporated with the City Fire Brigade from this date.
The Firemaster of Leith, Mr. John Guthrie, will rank as Senior District Officer, and take charge of the Leith Fire Station and District, and take up seniority after the Third Officer.
The Station Officer of Leith, Mr. James Fisher, will rank as Station Officer of the Leith Station, and take up seniority as the Senior Station Officer.
The Firemen of the Leith Fire Brigade will take seniority with the Edinburgh Firemen according to their service. The staff at Leith Station will in future be -

1 District Officer
1 Station Officer
11 Firemen


The Leith Motor Engines will be designated Nos. 7 and 8 Motor Engines respectively.
Owing to the extended City boundaries, the Brigade districts will be re-arranged viz:

                No. 1A   Division                 Headquarters
                No. 1B    Division                 Headquarters
                No. 2       Division                 London Road District
                No. 3       Division                 Leith District
                No. 4       Division                 Angle Park District
                No. 6       Division                 Stockbridge

Now that Leith was incorporated. into the City of Edinburgh, the two Fire Brigades came under the command of Firemaster A. Pordage, O.B.E., M.I.FireE.
Mr. Pordage continued to serve as Firemaster until 24th June, 1927, when he was succeeded by Firemaster Peter Methven, M.I.FireE. Mr. Methven continued to serve as Firemaster until the Fire Brigade was nationalised during the second World War. He was then succeeded by Fire Force Commander W.B. Muir, O.B.E., M.I.FireE. It is interesting to note that Mr. Methven in 1937 reported to the Town Council that McDonald Road would make an ideal site for a new district Fire Station.
At the end of hostilities, all Fire Brigades were denationalised, but did not revert back to their pre war status. The South Eastern Fire Brigade incorporating the City of Edinburgh, East Lothian, Midlothian, and West Lothian, Peeblesshire, Roxburghshire, Selkirkshire, and Berwick, came into being in 1948.
Mr. A. B. Craig, O.B.E., M.I.FireE., was appointed Firemaster, and served until his retirement in 1962.
As part of the South Eastern Fire Brigade post war building programme on Fire Station modernisation, a new station was planned for McDonald Road; this to replace the existing station at Junction Place, which has been in continual operation since 1877. This station, whilst primarily designed to provide fire cover for Leith and parts of Edinburgh, has a wider role in that it also sends fire appliances to districts outside the City. Only recently a Turntable Ladder attended a large fire at a Maltings at Pencaitland.
Plans for the new station were accepted in April 1964, and, test bores carried out on 21st August, 1964: Building work commencing on 15th September, 1964. A photograph which will long be treasured in this Brigade shows the late Councillor John F. Stewart at the controls of a pile driving machine. Councillor Stewart was then Chairman of the Joint Fire Committee, and was tragically killed in an air crash in October, 1965.
Walking round this magnificent building, it will be appreciated that a great deal of thought and effort was required at the planning stage. The end product has more than justified the effort, and one is not being presumptuous in saying that McDonald Road Fire Station incorporates a number of features which are unique in Fire Service construction throughout Britain.
Externally, the building is very simply expressed, the reinforced concrete frame being clearly shown and treated with Sparklon, the panels between the columns are mostly in 2 3/8" Southhook Silver Grey facing bricks with uncoloured tuck pointing, but one or two panels have been treated with Tyrolean and Glamorock renderings. The windows running between columns are in anodised aluminium. The severity of the elevational treatment is broken by the expression of the free standing elements of the structure over the appliance bays, and at the entrance, by the Fire Service coat of arms over the entrance opening, and a tiled mural on the right hand side of the front door, based on the 1910 Halley Fire Appliance “Leith Fire Brigade,” which was recently gifted back to the Fire Committee.

The following are some of the features of this station:

DUAL PURPOSE SMOKE CHAMBER:

SHIP SECTION:

The predominant part of the chamber is in the form of a modern ship, and was constructed by Messrs. Henry Robb Limited, Shipbuilders, Leith.

The design is as follows:

A.            ENGINE ROOM

The engine room, which is fitted with a Mather & Platt MulsiSpray fixed installation, has a Stone Manganese Marine hydraulically controlled watertight door, which leads into the escape shaft tunnel, where a vertical trunk escape ladder is fitted. A remote control for the watertight door is provided on the upper deck. Installed in the engine room are dummy engines, a Drysdale fire pump, humidifier, electrical switchgear and ancillary equipment. Also included is a typical engine room workshop with the normal steel ladders leading to the next deck level within the engine room casing. A Merryweather fire hydrant is installed in the shaft tunnel, and telephonic communication will be fitted to link to the Bridge.

B.            FIRST DECK:

On the first deck are the engineers cabins fitted out as for seagoing ships. These are situated outside the engine room casing. The main Mather & Platt sprinkler installation system is also installed at this deck level.

C.            SECOND DECK:

The second deck contains a galley and public accommodation, which represents a dining room and lounge. Throughout the ship, corridor and cabin linings are of Marinite fire-resisting panels. In the Saloon the attractive Formica panelling has been provided by Roanoid Limited.

D.            BRIDGE DECK:

The Bridge deck contains a typical Bridge, with Wireless Room, Captain’s Sea Cabin, and ship’s binnacle. As far as is practicable, the Bridge is fitted with fire alarms and fire fighting control equipment. On this deck level, engine room skylights are fitted which are capable of being opened both inside and outside the engine room.

E.             FIREFIGHTING:

To simulate realistic fire fighting conditions in the ship, heating equipment, a humidifier and smoke generator have been installed. The heating system, ducted from the main station, is so arranged that it can build up to a temperature of 110 F. with 95% humidity. A Merryweather hose reel is fitted to provide fire cover for the accommodation section.
This somewhat novel approach towards the realistic training, not only of fire brigade personnel, but also members of the Mercantile Marine, who can be called upon to fight fires on ships whilst on the high seas and beyond the aid of outside assistance, will greatly add to the experience of members of both Services.
Of all fires, it is generally agreed by fire officers that those which take place on board ship are amongst the most difficult to fight. Almost all ship fires are, in effect, basement fires and have to be approached from above, through the heat and smoke. As this type of fire is about the most difficult to be tackled by professional fire fighters, how then must the untrained Merchant Navy officer or seaman feel when confronted with a fire situation at sea, who has no access to help from professional fire fighters.
In view of the number of fires which take place at sea, unfortunately, a number of which cost human lives, it is to be hoped that many shipping companies will send their staff for training at this new fire school.
Industry will not be left out, and courses will be run, mainly using the house section, for the benefit of those who have an executive as well as for persons with a physical responsibility for fire fighting and fire prevention. Certainly something must be done to cut back the appalling fire loss figures which for the past two years have stood at around
£77,000,000

************

The undermentioned. companies most generously supplied the following equipment and fittings for the ship, as a contribution towards a reduction of fire losses at sea and ashore:

Doors and Linings                               Marinite Limited., 25/27 North Row, London, W.l.
Decorative Formica Linings               Messrs. Rowan & Boden, Limited, Renfrew Road, Paisley.
Watertight Doors                                 Stone Manganese Marine, Limited, Anchor and Hope Lane, London, S.E.7.
Sprinklers and MulsiSpray                 Messrs. Mather & Platt, Limited, Park Works, Manchester, 10.
Fire Pump                                              Messrs. Drysdale & Co., Limited, Bon Accord Works, Yoker, Glasgow, W.4.
Hydrants, Hose Reels and
Extinguishers                                        Messrs. Merryweather & Sons, Limited, Greenwich High Road, London, S.E.l0.

**********

DEEP LIFT WELL:

This is situated on the north side of the Drill Ground, the well dimensions being 30 ft. deep, with a diameter of 6 ft. The object of the well is to allow drills to be carried out working from open water. The 30 ft. depth is necessary to allow appliances to carry out the monthly deep lift test as laid down in the statutory drill book.

STATION TOWER:

The tower, which must be one of the largest in the country, consists of a seven floor brick building, designed for two principal uses:

A.            As a Drill Tower
B.            As a Hose Drying Tower.

The hose drying section is completely enclosed, and is heated from the station boiler, thus ensuring a rapid turnover in hose drying.
Internal access to the drill section is by concrete staircases leading on to each landing, where an adequate floor area is provided to allow a number of crews to drill simultaneously.
On the third and fourth floors, curtain walling has been incorporated in the construction of the tower. This will give practical insight to the personnel on this type of building construction.
The tower will be invaluable in carrying out exercises simulating the tower as a multistorey fiat, as these are now prevalent in the City.

COVERED WASH BAY: The wash bay, which is situated at the rear of the appliance room, is of a most unique design. It is semi-cantilever construction, covering a 90 ft. clear span without any pillars or vertical supports. Instead it is supported by high tensile steel rods set in obliquely to the frame of the building. The object of this design is to give an extended drill area which would not be possible by the use of traditional supports.
Upon appliances returning from fires, they will proceed into the Drill Yard, and then to the Wash Bay, where they will be washed down and dried off, before proceeding into the appliance room.
A heated vehicle inspection pit is sited in the Wash Bay to allow appliances to be maintained in all weathers.

GROUND FLOOR:              

APPLIANCE ROOM
: The appliance room consists of six individual bays, with quarry tile floor and glazed overhead doors, both front and rear, the front doors being electrically controlled from the station watchroom. At the rear of the appliance room three selfcontained battery charging units are installed. Heating is by hot air vents in the east and west walls, and underfloor hot water coils. The end bay of the station is 10 ft. longer than the other five, in order to accommodate any specially long appliances in the future.
The station has been so designed that appliances on turning out to an incident have all round vision of oncoming traffic before entering the traffic stream. At the rear is the covered wash. Three firemen’s poles are situated at the east end of the appliance room, allowing speedy descent from the first floor.

WATCHROOM: The Station Watchroom, which adjoins the Appliance Room at the east end, is constructed in such a way that the Watchroom Attendant has complete visual coverage of the Appliance Room. This allows co-ordinated control of the appliances and overhead doors by the Watchroom Attendant, when turning out to an incident. A 5+25 cordless switchboard and automatic fire alarm board are installed in the Watcbroom. The fire alarm board is connected to the high fire risks in the station area, of which Whisky Bonds predominate.

COMPARTMENTS: To the west side of the Appliance Room is situated the following compartments - a Station Workshop, Compressor and Breathing Apparatus Room for the charging and maintenance of Breathing Apparatus and Resuscitation equipment, Foam, Petrol and Broom Stores.
The station boiler, which is oil fired, is of the medium pressure type, feeding radiators throughout the station, tower and ship. The majority of these radiators operate on the hot air convection principle.
At the east end of the Appliance Room is situated the station showers and toilets, with a drying room provided for the firemen to dry off their fire gear on returning from an incident. Adjacent is the station Switch Room, Battery Charging Room, Divisional and Station Office. The main entrance to the station leads to the Watchroom from Dryden Terrace.
A feature of this station is that particular attention has been paid to the circulation of personnel with operational efficiency in mind.

FIRST FLOOR: Proceeding from the north side, a most modern designed and spacious kitchen is provided, with all the necessary aids in labour saving devices.
Adjoining the kitchen is a large airy dining room. The dormitory for the firemen is adjacent to the Mess Room, and is of modern partition design. Upon leaving the dormitory and proceeding to the Recreation and Lecture Rooms, three individual firemen’s poles are encountered. The strategic positioning of these poles provides for the firemen access from Dormitory, Mess
, Lecture, and Recreation Rooms, thus ensuring a speedy turnout of the appliances. Also included on this floor are officers rest rooms with special bedroom, bathroom and toilet, for the use of visiting officers. A technical Library has been provided on this floor for the use of all brigade personnel.
A residential flat is provided at the extreme west end of the building.

GROUND FLOOR (Auxiliary Fire Service)
The entrance to the A.F.S. section of the station is also from Dryden Terrace. Their appliance room, which fronts on to the station yard, consists of six bays. To give the Auxiliary Fireman practical experience in appliance maintenance, an inspection pit has been provided in the appliance room. Heating is provided by large area high temperature panels, which will provide rapid heating at the time of use, which is mainly in the evenings and week-ends. Situated behind the appliance room is the locker room, which houses up to 200 lockers. Toilets and showers are provided on this floor.

FIRST FLOOR:
The largest single room in the station, situated at the north end, is the A.F.S. Lecture Room, which will seat approximately 300 persons. This will allow all A.F.S. personnel to attend lectures, film shows and. exercise planning in the one station. It will also be used to provide accommodation for visiting Auxiliary Firemen from other brigade areas attending for joint exercises. The lack of accommodation in the past has, on more than one occasion, proved a deterrent to combined exercises. This room will, of course, also be available to regular and retained brigade personnel for special lecture and social functions.
Adjoining the Lecture Room is the Recreation and Mess Room with a Kitchen/Servery attached. This will prove a great asset to the Auxiliary Firewomen, who will now be in a position to cater not only for their colleagues, but also for visiting personnel. The comfort of the lady members of which there are approximately 50 at present, has not been forgotten, as a Ladies Rest Room, tastefully decorated, has been provided.
With such a large section of the station allocated to the A.F.S., it was felt that the full time Officer in Charge and his staff, at present
operating from Brigade Headquarters, should transfer to this station, and a spacious office has been provided for this purpose. 

ARCHITECTS                                      Messrs. Bamber and Hall

SURVEYORS                                        David A. Adamson  F.R.I.C.S.

MAIN CONTRACTOR                       Messrs Charles Mackin & Co., Ltd.

SUB CONTRACTORS

REINFORCERS                                     G.K.N. Reinforcements
JOINERS                                                M.R.K. Construction Ltd.
GLAZIERS                                            The City Glass Co., Ltd.
ROOFERS                                              Val de Travers Asphalte Limited
PLUMBERS                                          James Beaton & Co.
PLASTERS                                            Messrs. Scott & Davie
ELECTRICIANS                                   Eastern Electric Service
PAINTER                                              James L. McFarlane
METAL WINDOWS                           Standard McLean Ltd.
PATENT GLAZING                             Standard McLean Ltd.

 

 

If you know of any mistakes in this or have any additional information please let me know.

 

 

MAIN INDEX                         1975 INDEX                         LOTHAIN & BORDERS INDEX