K20 SOUTH QUEENSFERRY
1 Pump, Retained.
|1918 to 1927||Port Edgar Naval Base provided fire cover|
|1927||Equipment kept in Town Hall, South Queensferry.|
|1938||Equipment kept in Shore Road, SOUTH QUEENSFERRY.|
|1952||Hospital Road, SOUTH QUEENSFERRY. (Rosebery Avenue was formerly Hospital Road)|
|14/5/1981||Rosebery Avenue, SOUTH QUEENSFERRY. (Rebuilt) Photo|
|1948 to ?||Leading Fireman Willie Walker.|
|? to 1966||Sub Officer Willie Walker. (promoted to Sub O on unknown date)|
|1966 to 1975||Sub Officer John Mawdsley.|
|1975 to||Sub Officer Sam Brown. (there 1981)|
|2002 to 16/1/2008||Sub Officer Maurice Willis|
|Feb 2008 to||Watch Manager Kenny Mercer (There 2018)|
|1939||Drysdale Trailer Pump (A Ford V8 was used as Towing Vehicle)|
|1948||Austin STU and Coventry Climax||TrP|
|GXH581||Austin K2/Home Office/SEAFB||HrT|
|1953||KSF750||Bedford SLZG/HCB Angus||P|
|1966||FFS526D||Bedford TKEL/HCB Angus||WrT|
|1984||OSC548V||Dodge G1390/HCB Angus||WrL|
|1992||A52EMS||Dodge G13/Mountain Range||WrL|
|2001||N306FSG||Scania 93M-250/Emergency One||WrL/ET|
|2009||N303FSG||Scania 93M-250/Emergency One||WrL/ET|
|2009||SN06FYJ||Scania P270/Emergency One (Ladder Gantries modified)||WrL/ET|
In 2009 a new machine will be allocated to South Queensferry. The new machine will have to be modified as the roof ladder gantry will need to be moved to the other side of the machine as it will not fit under the underhang at the rear of the appliance bay. Whatever machine they will be getting will be sent back to Emergency One to be refurbished and gantries modified.
South Queensferry had a call sign of 58 in Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service, this was changed to K20, the new National Call Sign on 3/5/2017.
|1918 to 1927||Fire cover by Naval Base at Port Edgar. (Merryweather Pump)|
|1927 to 1941||South Queensferry Fire Brigade.|
|1941 to 1948||National Fire Service|
|1948 to 1975||South Eastern Area Fire Brigade|
|1975 to 2005||Lothian and Borders Fire Brigade|
|2005 to 2013||Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service|
|1/4/2013||Scottish Fire and Rescue Service|
Notes The South Eastern Fire Area Administration Scheme Order, 1948
|1 Tender and Large Trailer Pump||1 Leading Firemen|
1 Water Tender Ladder
1 Sub Officer
1 Leading Firefighter
1 Water Tender Ladder/Emergency Tender
1 Watch Manager
1 Crew Manager
South Queensferry Station Rebuilt
On the 14th
May, the rebuilt South Queensferry Station was officially re-opened by the
Lothian Region Vice-Convener Alex Bell.
HISTORY OF THE UNIT
With the large Naval Base of Port Edgar on its doorstep, it was not un-natural that South Queensferry looked towards the base for protection from accidents, natural disasters and so on. And so it was that, from the end of the First World War until 1927, the provision for the extinction of fires within the Burgh were left in the safe hands of the Royal Navy. At this time, the Firefighting Protection both for Port Edgar and South Queensferry consisted of a motor driven Merryweather Pump which was kept at Port Edgar and was manned, when needed, by the Dockyard police. And, indeed, on at least two memorable occasions during this time, it was necessary to call on their services.
In 1924 the Paraffin Store in the old railway goods yard caught fire and the resulting spectacular blaze spread to several other buildings before being contained while in 1927, another blaze destroyed Dochertys the Joiners premises in Clark Place.
After 1927, the Navy ceased to act as protectors and the Town Council purchased various items of firefighting equipment and kept them in the Town Hall.
With the outbreak of the Second World War, the Burgh was allocated a Trailer Pump (a Drysdale) and it was kept in premises in Shore Road. A Ford V8 was used as a towing vehicle and the crew included such names as Alec Beck, Frank Kenny, Willie Walker and John Mawdsley (John at this time was a Messanger).
During the latter part of the war, the slaughterhouse in Rosebery Avenue was vacated and the A.F.S. crew moved in.
On return to Local Authority Control after the war, a crew supervised by Leading Fireman Willie Walker was formed and they were allocated an Austin Standard Towing Unit with a Coventry Climax Trailer Pump. Other members at this time included Alec Paton, Alfie Smith, Louie Roberts, Johnny (Tober) Smith and Tommy Gill.
In 1949 the largest ever fire in the history of South Queensferry occurred when at 7.29 p.m. on Friday, 29 April a call was received to the Distillery. The building was well alight when the South Queensferry Firemen arrived and it was necessary to call on reinforcements from Edinburgh and the surrounding area. However, in spite of a long and hard fight, the buildings and their highly flamable contents, were destroyed.
Sub Officer Willie Walker was succeeded in 1966 by Sub Officer John Mawdsley. During Johns term of appointment, a very serious fire occurred at Hopetoun House which required 7 Pumps, 1 Turntable Ladder, 1 Emergency Tender and 1 Foam Salvage Tender to enable the fire to be contained after arduous and protracted firefighting. The fire occurred on 10 March 1973 and required 7 jets, 3 hose-reels and 30 Breathing Apparatus Sets to be used and was initially attended by the Queensferry crew with Fireman Cummings (now Leading Fireman) in charge. Due to the expertise, courage and professionalism of the crews, the majority of the historical exhibits were saved.
Sam Brown succeeded John Mawdsley in 1975 and is the current Officer in Charge.
SOUTH QUEENSFERRY FIRE STATION
South Queensferry Fire Station is situated on Rosebery Avenue, formerly Hospital Road, to the south of the town. The original part of the building was formerly the property of the Earl of Rosebery but was sold in 1923 to a family of butchers who used it as an abattoir.
The South Eastern Fire Brigade took over the property in 1952 and extended it to the rear, to accommodate a fire appliance.
Instead of demolishing the existing building, it was decided to retain and extend it to provide a new fire station meeting current requirements. The building is thus fairly domestic in scale and retains the original slate roof. The white painted render has been replaced with white chip dry dash render for low maintenance. The site is entirely hard surfaced for easy maintenance and the windows incorporate vandal resistant polycarbonate sheet instead of glass.
The station contains the following accommodation:-
Appliance Bay, Workbay and Store
Male and Female Washrooms and Toilets
Heating is by electric tubular heaters and convectors and water heating
is instantaneous. Particular attention has been paid to designing a heating control system to
ensure that heating is only provided at times it is actually needed
(Vulcan magazine Summer/Autumn 1981. Pages 7 and 11)
The start of a new era at Ferry fire station
<PHOTO> Lothian Region Vice
Convener Alexander Bell officially opens the new fire station with the unveiling
of the plaque. Also pictured are (left to right), the Rev. John Carrie of
Queensferry Parish Church, Councillor James Cook, Alex Bell, Bill Kerr, Lothian
and Borders Firemaster, and Leslie Scott, VAT 69 production director.
<PHOTO> The station’s Sub Officer, Sam Brown (third left), giving his crew a few tips before the demonstration fire drill, while vice convener Alex Bell and Firemaster Bill Kerr listen.)
Queensferry’s new £140,000 fire station was officially opened by Lothian Region’s Vice Convener Alexander Bell on Thursday. Over 70 guests and officials watched as the Vice Convener unveiled the plaque in the appliance rooms of the station which was formerly an abbatoir.
Mr Bell said: “I’d like to thank the Fire Board for inviting me to open this very fine fire station. The Architects Department have done a very good job and it’s a pleasure for me to formally declare this station open.”
Queensferry Parish Church minister the Rev. John Carrie then blessed the station, and chairman of the Lothian and Borders Fire Board Councillor James Cook then spoke about the tremendous assistance VAT 69 bottling plant owners Wm. Sanderson & Sons had given.
The firm’s premises have been used for the past year while alterations to the station were being carried out.
Councillor Cook said: “Thanks must go to Mr Leslie Scott, production director of Wm. Sanderson & Sons, for allowing us to use the premises temporarily. Without their help it would have been difficult for us to retain a fire appliance and service in this area.”
He went on to say that the station was worthy of an award.
“We’d like to thank the Region’s Architects Department for providing us with an up-to-date fire station which deserves an award.”
The Rev. Mr Carrie was then
presented with a badge of Lothian and Borders Fire Brigade on behalf of the
members of the Board. Mr Bell was also presented with a pen set with the Brigade
Badge and his name inscribed on it. The wood is special in that it came from
some of the past fire appliances at the Board’s Headquarters at Lauriston in
Afterwards a demonstration of drills was given by members of the Queensferry Unit.
Mr Sam Brown is Sub Officer in charge of the new station.
Mr Brown, who has been with the service for 29 years, said about the station: “We’re all absolutely thrilled with it. We were in it three months before it was renovated and what a difference. It’s very modern and has everything we require.
“When we return from an incident we use the dirty room for cleaning our boots, drying clothes and there are two showers.
“There are various stores with
the main one being in the appliance room – in which the fire engine is kept.
We’ve got a Watchroom in the office with a handset for the radio. There is also
a lecture room and kitchen.”
The ten man crew are on call 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Mr Brown added: “We’re not called out to that many fires in this area. People on Queensferry, I would say, are quite fire conscious which is good to know.”
The station, at Rosebery Avenue, belonged to the Earl of Rosebery but was sold to a family of butchers in 1923 who used it as an abbatoir. The South Eastern Fire Brigade took over the property in 1952, and extended it to the rear to accommodate a fire engine.
Instead of demolishing the existing building it was decided to keep it and extend it to provide a new fire station. It still has the original slate roof.
The history of Queensferry’s Fire Brigade goes back to about 1918 – the end of the First World War. With a large naval base of Port Edgar on its doorstep, it was not unnatural that Queensferry looked towards the base for protection from accidents and natural disasters.
Until 1927 the provision for the extinction of fires within the Burgh were left in the safe hands of the Royal Navy.
At this time Firefighting
Protection both for Queensferry and Port Edgar consisted of a motor driven
Merryweather Pump, kept at Port Edgar, and was manned, when needed, by the
In 1949 the largest ever fire in the history of Queensferry occurred at the Distillery. The building was well alight when the firemen arrived, and reinforcements from Edinburgh and the surrounding area were called, However, the buildings and its highly flammable contents were destroyed.
Twenty five years earlier another big blaze destroyed the old railway goods yard. It started in the paraffin store.
After 1927 the Navy ceased to act as protectors, and the Town Council purchased several items of firefighting equipment and kept it in the Town Hall. During the latter part of the Second World War the slaughterhouse in Rosebery Avenue was vacated and the Auxiliary Fire Service moved in.
(Gazette, Friday, May 22, 1981 Page 7)
SOUTH QUEENSFERRYs FIREMEN 1981
Sub Officer S. Brown
Leading Fireman A. Cumming
Fireman J. Hume
Fireman R. Lennox
Fireman D. Paterson
Fireman M. Pauley
Fireman G. Smith
Fireman J. Smith
Fireman W. Smith
SOUTH QUEENSFERRYs FIREFIGHTERS 2008
Watch Manager: Vacant
Crew Manager Kenny Mercer
Firefighter Derek Stenhouse
Firefighter Paul Watson
Firefighter Colin Clapperton
Firefighter Wayne Forrest
Firefighter Ernie Hinks
Firefighter Ash Ainslie
Firefighter Stevie Murray
Firefighter Colin Scholan
Firefighter Norman Brown
Firefighter Ali McKenzie ( F/T at Liberton )
If you know of any mistakes in this or have any additional information please let me know.
MAIN INDEX 1975 INDEX LOTHIAN & BORDERS INDEX