2 Pumps Retained.
|1902||Steamer housed in Bell's Inn Stables|
|1932||Church Street, HADDINGTON.|
|4/6/1965||Court Street, HADDINGTON. Photo|
|1937||Chief Officer W. Lee Hogg|
March 1973 to April 1991
Station Officer Richard Blackie
April 1991 to July 1996
Station Officer Gordon Blackie *
July 1996 to Feb 2002
Station Officer Brian Blackie **
Feb 2002 to
Station Officer David Hopkinson ***
* Brother of Richard Blackie and Uncle of Brian Blackie
** Son of Richard Blackie and Nephew of Gordon Blackie
*** Son in Law of Richard Blackie and Brother in Law of Brian Blackie
|19th Century||Manual Pump||P|
|1932||SS3533||Morris Commercial/New World||MP|
|1942||GGX665||Austin K2/Home Office (rebuilt as pump 1948)||HrT|
|?||GLR831||Austin K2/Home Office/SEAFB||HrT|
|1942||GLR833||Austin K2/Home Office/SEAFB||HrT|
|?||GLT720||Austin K2/Home Office/SEAFB||HrT|
First runs as WrL/ET and second as WrT/ET. (2005)
|CSG779C||Bedford TJ4L/HCB Angus||WrT|
|CFS132L||Bedford TKG/HCB Angus||WrL|
|VMS279R||Dodge K1113/Hestair Eagle||WrL|
|D494BSC||Dodge G13c/Mountain Range||WrLR|
|G238FSC||Dodge G13/Fulton and Wylie||WrT|
|L492JSG||Scania 93M-250/Emergency One||WrL/ET|
|R887FSC||Scania 94D-260/Emergency One||WrL/ET|
|Y692BSX||Scania 94D-260/Emergency One||WrL/ET|
|SK02ULO||Scania 94D-260/Emergency One||RP|
|SN06FYK||Scania P270/Emergency One||RP|
|SK07BKO||Scania P270/Emergency One||WrL/ET|
|SN08COH||Scania P270/Emergency One||RP|
15/2/2015 SK07BKO involved in RTC and written off.
|1941 to 1948||National Fire Service|
|1948 to 1975||South Eastern Area Fire Brigade|
|1975 to 2005||Lothian and Borders Fire Brigade|
|2005 to 2013||Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service|
|1/4/2013||Scottish Fire and Rescue Service|
The South Eastern Fire Area Administration Scheme Order, 1948
|1 Self-propelled Pump||1 Company Officer|
|1 Tender and Large Trailer Pump||1 Section Leader|
|2 Leading Firemen|
2 Water Tender Ladders
1 Station Officer
1 Sub Officer
2 Leading Firefighters
In 1937 Haddington Fire Brigade had 1 Chief Officer (W. Lee Hogg), 1 Deputy Chief Officer, 8 Firemen and 1 Motor Pump.
Haddington had a call sign of 65 in Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service, this was changed to J21, the new National Call Sign on 3/5/2017.
HISTORY OF HADDINGT0N FIRE BRIGADE
Going back to the late 19th century,
one discovers that the fire cover for Haddington was a manual pump, requiring
some 40 men for efficient operation. This must have caused deep concern to a
local gentleman, Mr. Christie of Tenterfield, who, in 1902, purchased and gifted
to the town a new steam Fire Engine by Merryweather of London, resplendent in
polished brass and copper, and complete in fittings from its powerful engine
down to a wastepaper basket and bunch of sticks for kindling the fire. The
entire engine weighed some 2 tons 7 cwts., which could be drawn by two horses,
though it was preferable to have four on a long journey. The hose provided
consisted mainly of leather secured by rivets. It is interesting to note that
the testing of this new pump was supervised by the Firemaster of Edinburgh, Mr.
Pordage. This appliance was housed at Bellís Inn Stables.
As far as is known, this appliance remained in operation until 1932, the only major change being that a lorry was used for towing purposes; the turn-out time for the appliance being related to the time it took to requisition a lorry.
In 1932, a self-propelled pump was purchased by the Haddington Council from Morris Commercial Cars Ltd., Birmingham, and with it the reorganisation of the Haddington Fire Brigade. Mr. W. L. Hogg, the Burgh Surveyor, was designated Firemaster, with a Lieutenant, two Engineers and six Firemen. The appliance being housed in Church Street.
It is of interest to note at this point, that if Haddington Fire Brigade required assistance at large fires, the Edinburgh Fire Brigade were called upon. It is on record that in one week of November, 1931, the Edinburgh Fire Brigade were asked for assistance on three occasions.
With the outbreak of war, Haddington, like all other Fire Brigades in the country, lost its identity, and became part of the National Fire Service in 1941. This organisation functioned successfully until the end of hostilities, when Fire Brigades went back to Local Authority control, but with a major difference to the pre-war organisation. In 1948, the South Eastern Fire Brigade was born, this embraced East, West and. Mid Lothian, Peeblesshire, Roxburghshire, Selkirkshire and Berwickshire, an area of 2,500 square miles.
The advantages of this new organisation soon came to light; uniformity of equipment, hydrants, appliances, wireless, administration, etc., as well as assistance at large fires. It is now possible to request and secure assistance from other local units, such as Tranent, East Linton, Dunbar and North Berwick, thus ensuring cover at all times. In the more specialised field, Turntable Ladders and Emergency Tenders are available on request from Edinburgh.
As the country became more industrialised, and new housing schemes were built, it was felt necessary to increase the number of pumps at Haddington to two. The existing Fire Station was just adequate for housing two appliances and., as no drill yard was attached, training was of a limited nature.
A site for a new modern Fire Station had to be found, bearing in mind, that in 1948, the station at Church Street had to be evacuated the night the River Tyne overflowed its banks. After a great deal of searching, a site was purchased at Court Street, which from a turn-out point of view, is ideal. On this site has risen this new and most modern and up-to-date Fire Station.
Into this Station have gone the fruits of past achievements with its tower for Ladder and Hook Ladder drills, combined with hose drying, drill yard for carrying out pump drills a 5000 gallon sunken tank for pump tests, smoke chambers for training men in the use of breathing apparatus, and the efficient searching of properties, lecture room and all internal facilities for efficiency and comfort. Truly a Fire Station that the people of East Lothian, as well as Haddington, can be justly proud.
(Source of document unknown)
If you know of any mistakes in this or have any additional information please let me know.
MAIN INDEX 1975 INDEX LOTHIAN & BORDERS INDEX