J22 NORTH BERWICK
2 Pumps Retained.
|? to ?||Station Road, NORTH BERWICK|
|1948||Station Road, NORTH BERWICK.|
|18/3/1982 to 3/12/2012||14 Station Road, NORTH BERWICK. EH39 4AU Photo|
|3/12/2012 to 7/12/2012||Scottish Fire Service College at Gullane with WT crew from Edinburgh|
|7/12/2012 to||Council Yard, The Heugh, NORTH BERWICK. (1 Pump)|
|? to ?||Firemaster Merrilees|
|? to ?||Firemaster Miller|
|? to ?||Firemaster Robertson|
|? to ?||Firemaster Crystal|
|? to ?||Leading Fireman Forsythe|
|? to 1947||Station Officer Tom Lorimer|
|1947 to ?||Station Officer Tommy Russell|
|? to 1/10/1976||Station Officer M. Traherne (Taffy)|
|1982||Station Officer John A. Lorimer (Jock)|
|? to ?||Station Officer Angus Campbell|
|? to 31/3/2003||Station Officer Hugh McMinn|
|May 2003 to Nov 2006||Station Officer George Combe|
|2007 to 2010||Watch Manager John Russell|
|2010 to 1/11/2013?||Watch Manager Scott Lorimer (son of Jock Lorimer)|
|Nov 2013? to 31/5/2016||Watch Manager David Roulstone|
|? to||Watch Manager Andy Adams (there Sept 2017)|
|1812||Barrow and Buckets|
|1895||Steamer Horse Drawn|
|1928||Steamer now towed by Town Council Lorry|
|1929||Motorised Fire Engine||P|
|GXA763||Austin K4/Home Office/SEAFB||PE|
|1963||7266SC||Bedford TJ5SZ/HCB Angus|
|2012 Dec 7||T236RFS|
|2017 Sept 21||SN06FYH||W645RSC|
|OSC770P||Dodge K850/Fulton and Wylie||WrT|
|PSC700P||Dodge K850/Fulton and Wylie||WrT|
|NSX348Y||Dodge G13c/Mountain Range||WrT|
|F907USX||Dodge G13c/Excalibur CBK||WrT|
|K964DSC||Scania 93M-250/Emergency One||WrL/ET|
|T236RFS||Scania 94D-260/Emergency One||WrL/ET|
|T237RFS||Scania 94D-260/Emergency One||WrL/ET|
|W645RSC||Scania 94D-260/Emergency One||WET|
|SN06FYH||Scania P270/Emergency One||WrLET|
The First is a WrL/ET (13.5 ladder) and the second is a WrT/ET (10.5 ladder).
|1812 to 1948||North Berwick Town Council Fire Brigade|
|1941 to 1948||National Fire Service|
|1948 to 1975||South Eastern Area Fire Brigade|
|1975 to 2005||Lothian and Borders Fire Brigade|
|2005 to 2013||Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service|
|1/4/2013||Scottish Fire and Rescue Service|
The South Eastern Fire Area Administration Scheme Order, 1948
|1 Pump Escape||1 Leading Firemen|
|1 Tender and Large Trailer Pump||9 Firemen|
2 Water Tender Ladders
1 Station Officer
1 Sub Officer
2 Leading Firefighters
The present station in Station Road was occupied in August 1981 and Officially Opened on 18/3/1982.
3/12/2012 Fire Station and two appliances severely damaged by fire. From 6pm fire cover provided by a wholetime crew from Edinburgh based at The Scottish Fire Service College at Gullane
7/12/2012 Fire Cover from 8am now provided by North Berwick Retained based in Council yard at The Heugh with one pump.
Between 14th and 18 December 2013 North Berwick Retained moved back into the station running one pump, W645RSC.
North Berwick had a call sign of 68 in Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service, this was changed to J22, the new National Call Sign on 3/5/2017.
HISTORY OF NORTH BERWICK FIRE BRIGADE
In 1812, the Firemaster was a Mr
Black and records show that his firefighting equipment was limited to a barrow
and buckets. If a fire occurred, a team of ‘Firefighters’ were drawn from any
volunteers who were available at the time of the incident.
It was not until 1873 that Town Council Records show that consideration was first given to providing a ‘firefighting pump’. Further consideration was given after the Vale fire of 1876 and then again debated in 1882 after a serious fire which gutted the East Wing of the Marine Hotel. This last fire was only extinguished after a steamer from the Edinburgh Brigade was dispatched by train to North Berwick from the Waverley Railway Station. It was met at the North Berwick Railway Station, (the same station is opposite the new Fire Station), by a team of horses and rushed to the vicinity of the hotel where it was used to pump water from the sea.
By 1895, an organised ‘professional’ brigade with a pumping appliance was in being. The Constitution of the Brigade was as follows:—
1. The Brigade shall
consist of (1) a Firemaster, who shall have full charge of the Brigade, and in
his absence, the Conductor, (2) a Conductor, (3) a 1st Engineer, (4) a 2nd
Engineer and (5) six Firemen.
2. Each member shall obey all orders which he may receive from those in authority over him and at a fire, the Chief Officer present shall have absolute authority for all purposes.
3. Each member of the Brigade shall be provided with a Helmet, Tunic and Waistbelt — three members each having an Axe and Case — all of which must be kept in good condition by the members and returned to the Chief Officer by any member retiring from the Brigade. The first and second Engineers shall keep clean the engine and the other members of the Brigade, the rest of’ the apparatus.
4. No member can be recognised as such at any drill or fire unless in his uniform and no member shall appear in his uniform except he is on duty.
5. The Brigade shall meet for drill, etc., not less than six times yearly, the time and place to be as directed by the Firemaster.
6. The Brigade shall attend all fires in the Burgh or district when called on, if the officer in command shall deem it expedient, and when attending a fire the Brigade shall assist any other Fire Brigade that may be in attendance at such fire.
7. The Firemaster or officer in command shall furnish his men with ref refreshments when on active duty for any length of time but on no account shall liquor be accepted when offered to the Brigade by any person neither is any member of the Brigade to enter a refreshment room of any kind unless he gets permission from the Officer-in-Charge.
8. No member shall leave the Brigade without giving fourteen days clear notice to the Firemaster and shall deliver up to him all articles of uniform belonging to the Brigade; any member changing his residence shall notify the same to the Firemaster, and any member leaving the town for more than 24 hours must inform the Firemaster of the fact.
9. Each member of the Brigade shall on joining subscribe these rules.
The Retaining Fee was £5 per annum
for the Firemaster and First Engineer, Second Engineer £2.10/-, Conductor
£1.10/- and Firemen £1 that was to cover all practices. Country fire charges
ranged from 12/6d for the first five hours and 2/- per hour after for the
Firemaster to 7/6d and 1/- for Firemen. Burgh fires 4/6d for first hour, 2/-
after to 3/6d and 1/-.
In 1928 the Town Council Lorry was used to tow the steamer instead of horses. This was satisfactory apart from unsuccessful attempts to tow in areas such as the Heugh Brae. It was therefore decided in the following year to obtain the first motorised fire engine. Shortly after its purchase, it was called to a large farm fire where it pumped solidly for 14 hours without a hitch.
In the same year the Fire Station was moved to Station Hill. It was here under the same roof that the motorised engine was housed together with the steamer and the Fire Escape Extension Ladder. The bell which belonged to the Engineer of that time is now displayed at the New Station.
With the creation of the National Fire Service during the Second World War, North Berwick became part of the South East Area.
After the war the Fire Services Act 1947 was introduced by Parliament to transfer the firefighting functions from the National Fire Service to Fire Brigades maintained by Local Authorities.
Under this Act, Scotland was divided into eleven fire areas and North Berwick became part of’ the South Eastern Fire Brigade in accordance with the Fourth Schedule of the Act. The whole of this area came under the command of Firemaster A B Craig until he retired in 1962; it then passed to Firemaster F Rushbrook who subsequently retired in 1970 and then on to Firemaster J Anderson who retired early in 1980.
Since then the Brigade has been under the command of Firemaster W M G Kerr.
After regionalisation in 1975, the Brigade changed its name to the Lothian and Borders Fire Brigade, responsible for approximately the same area and is under the administration of the present Fire Board.
Past Officers-in-Charge of North Berwick between 1812 and 1947 were Mr Black, Mr Merrilees, Mr Miller, Mr Robertson, Mr Crystal and Mr Tom Lorimer. From 1947 it was T Russell, E Treharne, and the present Officer-in-charge is Station Officer John Lorimer. John’s son Scott joined the Brigade in 1981.
(Source of document unknown)
If you know of any mistakes in this or have any additional information please let me know.
MAIN INDEX 1975 INDEX LOTHIAN & BORDERS INDEX