1 Aerial Rescue Pump, 1 Rescue Pump Ladder, Wholetime.
|1893 to 1987||321, Springburn Road, Glasgow Photo|
|6/11/1987 to||47 Midton Street GLASGOW. G21 4RS. Photo|
Glasgow and Strathclyde Firemasters
|1895||Horse drawn Steamer|
|1944||GXA782||Austin K4/Home Office||ECU|
|1971||XGE212J||Dennis F46A/Bennett/Simon Scoosher Mk2||WrL/Sch|
|XGE212J||Dennis F46/Scoosher MKII||Sch|
|SGD393W||Bedford KG/HCB Angus CSV/F&W||WrL|
|D193PGD||Scania 82M/Fulton and Wylie||WrL|
|D194PGD||Scania 82M/Fulton and Wylie||WrL|
|J168GUS||Scania G93M-210/Emergency One||WrL|
|J169GUS||Scania G93M-210/Emergency One||WrL|
|K374MYS||Scania G93M-210/Emergency One||WrL|
|L726UGA||Scania L93M/Leicester Carriage Builders||CU|
|L100SFB||L726UGA re registered||CU|
|M906DDS||Scania 93M-220/Emergency One||WrL|
|V754NGD||Scania 94D-220/Emergency One||WrL|
|MX59FHZ||Iveco Daily 65C18/AES||DIM|
|SF08AFN||Scania P310 CP14 6x2 RS/JDC/Vema 282ARP MKIII||ARP|
|SP09AHK||Scania P380/Angloco/Bronto F28ALR||ARP (Ex Blackness Road)|
8/8/2006 The three Forward Control Units went on the run and the Command Unit
based at Springburn came off the run.
October 2015 the DIM Unit (Detection, Investigating and Monitoring) was moved from Springburn to Bishopbriggs. Can't remember when it arrived at Springburn.
|1893 to 1941||Glasgow Fire Brigade|
|1941 to 1948||National Fire Service|
|1948 to 1975||Glasgow Fire Service|
|1975 to 2005||Strathclyde Fire Brigade|
|2005 to||Strathclyde Fire and Rescue (Name change only.)|
2 Water Tender Ladders
4 Station Officers
1 Control Unit
4 Sub Officers
12 Leading Firefighters
The Staff are split over four watches (Red, Blue, Green and White) 1 Station Officer, 1 Sub Officer, 3 Leading Firefighters and 12 Firefighters working 2 days, 2 nights and 4 days off. Water Tenders are normally manned 5 and 4.
This Station cost £4,000 and took eighteen months to build, being ready in August 1893
with married quarters for ten firemen. The building stood at the corner of Springburn and
Keppochhill Roads, but the expressway has made this a busy crossroads so a replacement was
constructed at Petershill Road in 1986. The old station was converted into flats, each
selling at a fixed price of £28,250.
Springburns most discussed fire was on New Years night in 1941, when the Oxford Picture House was burned down, the most remarkable fact being that the cinema was next door to the Fire Station.
The photo shows a Horse drawn steamer and G466 a Motor Ladder ? in front of the Station.
(This extract is from Page 14 of Old Springburn by Andrew Stuart.)
This was Station A5 in the Glasgow Fire Service in 1975.
The Chairman of Strathclyde Regional Council Police and Fire Committee
decided that because of the length of time that Springburn Fire Station had been
operational and the severe cut backs in the Regional budget, to have a simple
dedication service, rather than the traditional opening service.
The service will be attended by the Chairman of the Police and Fire Committee, the Vice Chairman, together with the Firemaster, Deputy Firemaster and Brigade Chaplin and the Local Regional Councillor. The Chairman wants to meet the station personnel and I suggest there is a parade after which a small dedication service. Station personnel are invited to bring their wives or partners if they so desire.
Would you please arrange to have light refreshments at Springburn Fire station.
On the 6th of November 1987 the following stations were dedicated :-
Cheapside House 14-30
Time was allowed for lunch at Cheapside House
(from SFB memos in the archives)
In 1999 the Command Unit was move from Johnstone to Springburn as they still had the establishment for the TL and it released Control Room staff at Johnstone. The Control Unit did not change it's call sign to A037 but retained the call sign of C017.
Originally Station A3 at start of Strathclyde Fire Brigade the station call sign was changed to U02 on 30/9/2005 during a reorganisation of Commands into Areas.
With the restructure of the three Glasgow Areas into two, approved by the Board on the 8th of April 2010, North East Glasgow was split between North West Glasgow, name now changed to North Glasgow, and South Glasgow with Springburn moving to North Glasgow and on the 16th November 2010 the station call sign for Springburn was changed from U02 to T06.
If you know of any mistakes in this or have any additional information please let me know.
MAIN INDEX 1975 INDEX STRATHCLYDE INDEX