2 Pump, 1Aerial Wholetime.
|1893||Maryhill, Burgh Buildings, Gairbraid Avenue, GLASGOW. Photo|
|1941||North West, 35 Kelbourne Street , GLASGOW. Photo|
|24/11/1995||Maryhill, 775 Maryhill Road, GLASGOW. G20 7TL. Photo|
See Glasgow and Strathclyde Firemasters
|1941||GGN806||Fordson 7V/Home Office||ECU|
|?||GLT782||Austin K2/Home Office (Ex ATV)||ET|
|1943||GLW902||Fordson 6 wheeler||CU|
|1961||471BGG||Austin FFG||Ho Carr|
|1962||510EGE||Austin FFG||Ho Carr|
|1968||PUS920F||Deutz 150D/Fulton and Wylie/Magirus||TLP|
|1968||RGD999G||AEC Mercury 7/Bennett/Simon SS70 (Ergomatic cab)||HPP|
|1978||YHS561S||Dodge K1113/Fulton and Wylie||WrL|
|First||Second||Aerial 1||Aerial 2||Foam Tender|
|RGD999G||AEC Mercury/JC Bennet/Simon SS70||HP|
|OGD80V||Bedford KG/HCB Angus CSV/Fulton and Wylie||WrL|
|OGD84V||Bedford KG/HCB Angus CSV/Fulton and Wylie||WrL|
|B870AGD||Shelvoke & Drury WY/Simon SS263||HP|
|G531PGE||Scania 93M/Fulton and Wylie||WrL|
|G532PGE||Scania 93M/Fulton and Wylie||WrL|
|L717UGA||Scania 93M-220/Emergency One||WrL|
|L727UGA||Scania 93M-220/Emergency One||WrL|
|N825JSU||Scania 93M-220/Emergency One||WrL|
|N826JSU||Scania 93M-220/Emergency One||WrL|
|P752TSU||Volvo FL10 6x4/Angloco/Bronto Skylift F32HDT||ALP|
|R944HYS||Scania 94D-220/Emergency One||WrL|
|R945HYS||Scania 94D-220/Emergency One||WrL|
|SF07EKM||Scania P270/JDC/Polybilt (CAFS)||RPL|
|SF08AFJ||Scania P310 CP14 6x2 RS/JDC/Vema 282ARP MKIII||ARP|
|SF08AFU||Scania P310 CP14 6x2 RS/JDC/Vema 282ARP MKIII||ARP|
|1899 to 1941||Glasgow Fire Brigade|
|1941 to 1948||National Fire Service|
|1948 to 1975||Glasgow Fire Service|
|1975 to 2005||Strathclyde Fire Brigade|
|2005 to||Strathclyde Fire and Rescue (Name change only.)|
|1 Steam Fire Engine||1 Station Foreman|
|1 Hose & Ladder Carriage (Horse)||5 Men|
|1 Pump Escape||1 Divisional Officer II|
|1 Major Pump||1 Divisional Officer III|
|1 Turntable Ladder||1 Assistant Divisional Officer|
|1 Foam Tender||3 Station Officers|
|1 Recovery Vehicle||5 Sub Officers|
|7 Leading Firemen|
2 Water Tender Ladders
4 Station Officers
1 Hydraulic Platform
2 Sub Officers
12 Leading Firefighters
In the report of the Glasgow Fire Brigade 1890 there is no mention of a station at Maryhill, in 1891 there is a temporary station staffed by Auxiliaries with a Manual Fire Engine as is the case in 1892. In 1893 there is a station manned by a Station Foreman and five men with a Steam Fire Engine and a Hose and Ladder Carriage (horse), the 1893 Report also states that a new station has opened in Maryhill at Gairbraid Avenue since the last report.
The North West Fire Station was Officially Opened by the King and Queen in June 1942.
The station was used by Glasgow AFS personnel during the last six months of it's construction and fully manned on the formation of the NFS.
CLOSING OF MARYHILL FIRE STATION
27th MAY, 1955
I has been decided to dispose of Maryhill Fire Station due to the fact that it
has during the interval outlived its usefulness from a Fire Service point of
view and the territory previously covered by this station is now shared by the
North West Fire Station and Partick Fire Station respectively pending the
erection of the new Fire Station at Knightswood which Fire Station, it is
anticipated, will be commenced very shortly. New Fire Station sites have also
been earmarked at Easterhouse and Castlemilk. In a great industrial City such as
Glasgow with its ever increasing fire risk it is necessary to ensure that modern
Fire Stations are sited with a view to ensuring that fire units are in position
to reach, with the minimum of delay, any outbreak irrespective of what part of
the City in which it may occur.
(Report of the Firemaster, City of Glasgow. 1955. Page 71.)
Since 1949 Maryhill had been listed as a Glasgow Fire Service Station with status of "At present closed".
In 1975 the North West was station C1 in the Glasgow Fire Service.
In 1995 the station name was changed from North West to Maryhill to better reflect the area the station covered.
The Official Opening of Maryhill Fire Station
Councillor James Jennings, JP
Chair ,Police and Fire Committee
24th November 1995
Firemaster John Jameson QFSM, AIFireE, CIMgt
Welcome to the official opening
of Maryhill Fire Station.
It is more than half a century since the previous Maryhill Station was replaced by the North West and now events have come full circle. The North West was the last of the pre-war wholetime fire stations in Strathclyde and the new Maryhill will be the last built prior to the forthcoming local government reform.
Since the last local government re-organisation in 1975, Strathclyde Regional Council has built 25 new premises for the Brigade, replacing some that dated back to the previous century. The Brigade and, indeed, the people of Strathclyde owe a debt of gratitude to Strathclyde Regional Council for its commitment to the programme of replacement of obsolete fire stations.
Next year will see the formation of the new unitary authorities. Strathclyde Fire Brigade looks forward to working even more closely with the communities it serves and to enjoying as positive a relationship with the new Fire Board.
1100 Platform party and pre-ceremony guests assemble in hospitality room
1130 Guests assemble
1140 Non-platform party guests escorted to appliance room by Assistant Divisional Officer J. Hoey
1145 Platform party guests escorted to appliance room by Assistant Firemaster Stewart
Welcome and introduction of platform party - Councillor W. Timoney
Opening ceremony and unveiling of plaque - Councillor J. Jennings
Dedication by Reverend P. Houston, Brigade Chaplain
Convener’s remarks - Councillor W. Perry
Councillor Jennings presents visitors’ book to Firemaster
Firemaster’s closing remarks and presentation to Councillor Jennings
Councillor Timoney’s closing remarks
Buffet lunch and tour of building
Cllr W. Perry, JP, Convener, Strathclyde Regional Council; Cllr J. Jennings, JP, Chair, Police and Fire Committee, Strathclyde Regional Council; Cllr W. Timoney, Vice Chair, Police and Fire Committee; Firemaster J. Jameson, QFSM, AIFireE, CIMgt; Deputy Firemaster J. Coyle; Assistant Firemaster J. Stewart, Commander, Central Command; Reverend P. Houston, Brigade Chaplain.
The station was constructed
during the period 1939-1940 and replaced the former Maryhill Fire Station
situated at Gairbraid Avenue, Glasgow.
The station was used by Glasgow Auxiliary Fire Service personnel during the last months of its construction during 1940 and was fully manned on the formation of the National Fire Service in 1941. It was at the time of its construction, claimed to be one of the most modern fire stations in the United Kingdom with a full range of workshops, drive through 5-bay appliance room, spacious court yard with testing well, assembly and recreational facilities plus accommodation for thirty families of Firefighters. All this had been provided at a cost of £86,000.
In 1942 the station was honoured to receive King George and Queen Elizabeth for a visit during which personnel performed a number of exercises involving the appliances which were based there.
During 1947, the control of Fire Brigades was returned to local authorities and the North West station became a part of the Glasgow Fire Service. This continued until 1975 when the station, along with others, formed ‘A’ Division of Strathclyde Fire Brigade upon Regionalisation.
<PHOTO> The frontage of the North West fire station on its 50th anniversary. (GXA797, G531PGE, KHS590)
During 1994, the station attended over 5,000 calls. This number of calls made the North West the second busiest station in the Strathclyde Region - quite a legacy for the New Maryhill Fire Station to inherit.
Maryhill Fire Station is a
result of Strathclyde Fire Brigade’s continuing policy of providing the highest
level of service to the community it serves. The station is located in Maryhill
Road, Glasgow, allowing easy access to the main traffic routes throughout its
area. Also within a short distance are motorway access roads allowing the
appliances direct routes to most parts of the city. The station is part of
Central Command which covers the city of Glasgow and surrounding areas.
It has an establishment of eighty personnel and houses two Water Tender Ladders and a Hydraulic Platform. The personnel are split into four watches - red, blue, green and white, in order that all appliances are available for emergency calls twenty-four hours a day - seven days a week.
Based at this location, there are also a number of Community Firefighters. As the name suggests, these Firefighters speak to community organisations ranging from Rotary Groups to schools in a determined effort to get across the Fire Safety message.
The station is built on two levels and contains an appliance room, offices, breathing apparatus maintenance area, fitness room, lecture room and recreational facility.
The courtyard to the rear includes a training building which has a number of features which will allow our Firefighters to train in realistic situations This advance in practical training facilities combined with a programme of technical subjects will ensure that our Officers and Firefighters maintain the high standards or operational abilities the public rightly expects. In order to continue the Brigade’s energy saving programme, the station is also fitted with computerised control facilities to control heating and hot water supplies. The lighting system incorporates photo electric sensors which switch off lights if no movement is detected in the area.
As a result of the facilities mentioned above Maryhill Fire Station is, without doubt, a worthy successor to the North West and will continue to ensure that the people of Strathclyde, Maryhill and surrounding area continue to receive an efficient service from the personnel of Strathclyde Fire Brigade.
<PHOTO> Scania Water Tender
<PHOTO> 30m Arial Ladder Platform (K377MYS)
Main Contractor GA
Project Architect Mr. Graham Campbell, Architectural and Related Services, Strathclyde Regional Council
(None of the three photos mentioned above are on this site.)
If you know of any mistakes in this or have any additional information please let me know.
MAIN INDEX 1975 INDEX STRATHCLYDE INDEX