2 Pumps, 1 Supplementary Equipment Vehicle Wholetime.
2/5/1958 to 373 Anniesland Road, GLASGOW. G13 1XT. Photo
Glasgow then Strathclyde Firemasters.
|1973||GGA154L||Dodge K850/Carmichael/Simon Scoosher Mk2A||WrL/Sch|
|1978||XUS194S||Dodge K1113/Fulton and Wylie||WrL|
|First||Road Rescue Unit||Aerial||Second||SEV|
|2010 June 1st||SF54RMV||SF05DFC||SA52FYO|
SF05DFC was moved from Yorkhill to Knightswood on 1/6/2010 for a 6 month trial period. After 5 months the trial was deemed successful and the Board will be asked to confirm the redeployment as permanent at the meeting on 20th January 2011 (Meeting postponed from 9th December 2010 due to the weather). 28 personnel moved to Knightswood and they will get the additional responsibility allowance for water rescue (£1,000).
|GGA154L||Dodge K /Carmichael Scoosher MKII||Sch|
|PUS920F||Deutz 105D/ /Magirus||TL|
|LGD629Y||Bedford TK/Fulton and Wylie Fire Warrior||WrL|
|B826DGA||Dennis DF133/Fulton and Wylie/Pierreville||TL|
|C159GSJ||Ford Transit LWB/SFB||RRU|
|H102YUS||Scania 93M-210/Emergency One||WrL|
|J603HGB||Mercedes 410/Emergency One||RRU|
|N833JSU||Scania 93M-220/Emergency One||WrL|
|S266TSU||Scania 94D-220/Emergency One||WrL|
|SA52FYO||Ford Ranger 4x4||SEV|
|SJ12UWW||Mercedes Sprinter 4x4/Wilker||SEV|
|1958 to 1975||Glasgow Fire Service|
|1975 to 2005||Strathclyde Fire Brigade|
|2005 to||Strathclyde Fire and Rescue (Name change only.)|
The Knightswood area was previously served by Partick Fire Station but as the area grew it was decided to open a new 2 pump station in Anniesland Road, Knightswood.
In 1975 this was station C2 in the Glasgow Fire Service.
|1 Pump Escape||1 Station Officer|
|1 Pump||1 Sub Officer|
|2 Leading Firemen|
|1 Water Tender Ladder||4 Station Officers|
|1 Road Rescue Unit||4 Sub Officers|
|4 Leading Firefighters|
During the year another advance in the contemplated Fire Station
building programme for the City of Glasgow took place on 2nd May, 1958, when the
Rt. Hon. The Lord Provost of Glasgow, Andrew Hood, Esq., J,.P., who was
introduced by the Convener of the Police, Fire Brigade and Lighting Committees,
Bailie T. R. Creaney, J.P., officially opened the new Knightswood Fire Station
at 373 Anniesland Road, Glasgow, W.3, in the presence of a distinguished
company, which included the Lady Provost.
Also present were Mr. A. F. C. Clarke, Secretary, Scottish Home Department, who represented the Secretary of State for Scotland, accompanied by Mr. Elliott-Binns, Assistant Secretary, and also H.M. Inspector of Fire Services for Scotland, Mr. A. D. Wilson. The Glasgow Corporation was represented by the Convener of the Police, Fire Brigade and Lighting Committees, Bailie T. R. Creaney, J.P., along with the members of the Police, Fire Brigade and Lighting Committees, also other members of the Glasgow Corporation, in addition to numerous Departmental heads of the various Glasgow Corporation Departments, Firemasters and representatives of various Fire Services throughout Scotland.
During the course of his remarks the Lord Provost stated that the Glasgow Corporation and the citizens of Glasgow were immensely proud of their Fire Service and he, personally, thought, in view of the serious devastation created annually by fire throughout the United Kingdom, that the fire protection of the City of Glasgow would not be complete until there was a Fire Station for every two wards in the City of Glasgow and he stated that it spoke volumes for the efficiency and bearing of the Firemaster and members of the Glasgow Fire Service that, in spite of the various difficulties encountered by them in the execution of their duties, they were so successful in confining damage by fire. He also stated that, speaking quite apart from his position as Lord Provost, the maintenance of an efficient Fire Service in Glasgow was absolutely essential and he was satisfied that the Glasgow Fire Service was one of the finest Fire Services in the United Kingdom.
The Convener, Bailie T. R. Creaney, J.P., Convener of the Police, Fire Brigade and Lighting Committees, who introduced the Lord Provost, Mr. Hood, said that the new Knightswood Fire Station was the second Fire Station to be built and officially opened by the Glasgow Fire Authority. (The North-West Fire Station was completed in 1941, but it was established by the National Fire Service). Mr. Creaney stated that the new Knightswood Fire Station was intended to serve Knightswood, Yoker, Whiteinch and Kelvinside Wards. He had no hesitation in substantiating the remarks made by the Lord Provost and from his knowledge of the Glasgow Fire Service—both operationally and administratively—the City of Glasgow possessed one of the finest Fire Services not only in Scotland but in the United Kingdom. He also stated that, in view of the great potential fire risk which existed in the great City of Glasgow, it would be necessary in the near future for Fire Stations to be erected at Pollok, Easterhouse and Castlemilk, thus providing the necessary fire protection in these new Housing and Industrial Areas and approval would in due course be granted by the Glasgow Corporation and the Scottish Home Department.
Mr. A. F. C. Clarke, Secretary, Scottish Home Department, who represented the Secretary of State for Scotland, stated that he was very pleased to be in a position to come through to the opening of this new and important Fire Station in Glasgow, since he had many close associations with Glasgow during the period of the National Fire Service, from 1941 until 1948, when the Western No. 1 Area, which comprised Glasgow and the adjacent burghs of .Airdrie, Coatbridge, Motherwell, Hamilton and Rutherglen, as well as the Counties of Lanark, Stirling, Clackmannan and Dunbarton, was called upon to play a very important part in fire protection, etc., of the important war effort which at that time was taking place within the ambit of that area. Mr. Clarke was very pleased also to record the very valuable services rendered to the Scottish Home Department during these years by the present Firemaster, at that time the Fire Force Commander, and the Chief Clerk, Mr. Cameron, then the Principal Administrative Officer. In addition, he assured the Lord Provost and the Convener that they were always very keen to meet in with any requirements in relation to new Fire Stations, etc., but this, as they would appreciate, all depended upon the economic position as might affect the country from time to time, but, nevertheless, they would always continue to do their best, even if at times under difficult conditions.
The Firemaster, in reply, thanked the Lord Provost, the Convener and Mr. Clarke for so kindly officiating in the opening of this new Knightswood Fire Station, which he considered was another important stepping stone in ultimately providing the citizens of Glasgow with a five-minute service. This, of course, could not unfortunately, take place until the remaining Pollok, Easterhouse and Castlemilk Fire Stations—the other three Fire Stations on the programme still to be built— were erected. Once this was done, the citizens of Glasgow could rest assured that it would be possible in all cases, irrespective of where the fire occurred within the City, for a Fire Service Appliance or Appliances to arrive at the scene of the fire within, at the most, a period of five minutes. The Firemaster also took the opportunity of thanking the members of the Glasgow Fire Authority and the Scottish Home Department for the wonderful co-operation and assistance he was receiving from them in his efforts to place the Glasgow Fire Service in the forefront as one of the most efficient Brigades in the United Kingdom and befitting a great city such as Glasgow.
The Station, which is situated on the south side of Anniesland Road, at the corner of Ryvra Road, is” L “-shaped in plan, facing these streets and enclosing a drill yard at the rear. It serves the areas of Knightswood, Yoker and Drumchapel.
The new Knightswood Fire Station provides accommodation for two appliances and two other vehicles. The staffing personnel is a Station Officer, Sub-Officer, two Leading Fireman and eighteen Firemen per shift with locker accommodation suitable for 24-hour working. Access for appliances from the appliance room is direct to Anniesland Road. The return entrance is by way of Ryvra Road to the drill yard and the rear doors of the appliance room.
The control centre of the building is the Watchroom which is in close proximity to the Station Officer’s Office and quarters, and which has been planned in a position to provide general supervision over the whole Fire Station—and direct control over the appliance room in particular. Easy access is also provided to the Watchroom for the general public for emergency calls and enquiries. The dormitory is placed adjacent to the muster bay and appliance room. It is connected with the locker room and ablutions and drying room, thus reducing the distance for the Firemen to a minimum when answering or returning from a fire call. The upper floor provides a lecture room with dining and recreational facilities. Flexibility of use is obtained by providing folding partitions between the dining room and recreation room, and recreation room and lecture room.
The drill yard gives access to the boiler house with solid fuel boilers for central heating and hot water services; a combined hose drying and drill tower on which the hoses are dried by convection from radiators on the ground floor; provision has been made for a future extension consisting of a vehicle repair shop and hose repair shop.
The construction is of a traditional nature with load bearing brickwork and faced externally with facing brick or pebble-finished precast concrete blocks. The floors and roofs are of pre-stressed high tensile steel or mild steel precast concrete units, pre-stressed concrete units being used over a clear span of 36 feet in the appliance room thus eliminating columns.
The tower is steel framed and clad with coloured asbestos cement sheeting, this being necessary due to the low load-bearing capacity of the site. Floors are finished with thermoplastic tiles with terrazzo on the ablutions and lavatories ; quarry tiles in the muster bay and appliance room and hardwood block in the watchroom and office. Walls internally are plastered generally with tiles in the lavatories, and kitchen—and coloured asbestos sheeting in the appliance room and muster bay.
The cost of the Fire Station inclusive of electrical work, heating work, furniture and professional fees is in the region of £55,000.
(Report of the Firemaster of the City of Glasgow 1958. Page 7)
If you know of any mistakes in this or have any additional information please let me know.
MAIN INDEX 1975 INDEX STRATHCLYDE INDEX