1 Pump Escape, 1 Pump, 1 Turntable Ladder Wholetime. CLOSED.
|1870s to 1893||Wilson Street (now Gullane Street)|
|1893 to 1907||Anderson Street|
|21/5/1907 to 1985||Clyde Street/Hozier (Beith) Street. 122 Beith St Photo|
|? to 1912||Firemaster Hugh Weir|
|From 1912||Glasgow's then Strathclyde's Firemasters|
|1866||Horse Hose and Ladder||HoLadd|
|1911||YS106||Halley/Halley/Mather and Platt||MP|
|1948?||GLR811||Austin K2/Home Office||FoT|
|1948?||GXA66||Leyland Beaver/Merryweather 100||TL|
|1944?||GXH37||Austin K2/Home Office||ATV|
|1973||GGE395L||Dodge K850/Carmichael/Simon Scoosher MK2A||WrL/Sch|
|1974||OGD142M||Land Rover 108/Bennett||RRU|
|MGB853||Dennis F14/Dennis/Metz 100'||TL|
|GGE395L||Dodge K850/Scoosher MKII/Carmichael Sch||WrL/Sch|
|LGD626Y||Bedford KG/Fulton and Wylie Fire Warrior||WrL|
In 1973 this was station C3 of the Glasgow Fire Service.
|1870s? to 1912||Partick Fire Brigade|
|1912 to 1941||Glasgow Fire Brigade|
|1941 to 1948||National Fire Service|
|1948 to 1975||Glasgow Fire Service|
|1975 to||Strathclyde Fire Brigade|
Closed between April and July 1985? Was a one pump station when it closed.
Partickís Fire ground was covered by West, Knightswood and North West Fire Stations when it closed.
On Saturday, 15th March,
I attended a test of a new steam fire engine for the Burgh of Partick Fire
Department. The test took place at the Public Park, Partick. The fire was
kindled in the boiler at 4-19p.m., and in 7 minutes 49 seconds after, a pressure
of 100 lbs of steam was shown on the gauge when the engine was started, and a 1
1/8 inch jet was thrown to a height of 150 feet; two ĺ inch jets were then
substituted for the 1 1/8 inch jet, which gave two beautiful jets of water to a
height of 130 feet; then three jets took the place of the two, one ĺ inch and
two 5/8 inch jets, which gave three good streams of water to a height of 100
feet. This completed the test. This engine is constructed to throw 350 gallons
of water per minute and is one of Shand Masonís latest pattern, with patent
steam expansion arrangement for saving steam. This engine complete costs £475.
(From Firemaster Taylorís quarterly report to Greenock Corporation Fire Engines committee 10/4/1902)
NEW FIRE STATION
May 21st 1907
The Old Fire Brigade Station in
Anderson Street, which was opened in 1893, having become inadequate for the
growing needs of the Burgh of Partick, the Town Council in 1905 decided to
proceed with the erection of a New Station on ground held by them at the corner
of Clyde Street and Hozier Street.
The New Station is designed to meet all requirements for some time to come. In addition to accommodation for the permanent staff of firemen and their families, the buildings include Engine Room, Stables, Watchroom, Workshops, Hose Tower, and Recreation Rooms. The Engine Room is of commodious dimensions, being 62 feet by 36 feet, and is directly attached to an eight stalled stable. Adjoining the Engine Room is situated the Watchroom, in which is placed the switchboard and apparatus for complete communication with every part of the Burgh, and also with each firemanís house. The switchboard is one of the most complete and latest devices in the kingdom, and has both alarm and telephonic connection from each fire box on the streets; and the system also provides intercommunication between the various Burgh Departments. Private lines from public works are also led onto the switchboard, and a few vacant places have been provided for future extension. Alongside are placed the indicators of the May Otway apparatus, which have been installed by several firms in the Burgh.
The Smithy, Engineering Repair Shop, Hose Tower, and Offices in connection with dwelling houses, are situated on the north side of the courtyard, the Engineering Shop being provided with an overhead travelling crane and a repair pit. The Hose Tower is 86 feet in height, and will provide ample room for the cleaning and drying of hose.
To the north of the entrance from Clyde Street are the Store Rooms, Muster Room, Lamp Room, and Office in connection with the Lighting Department.
Above the Engine Room is situated the large Recreation and Reading Room, which will be furnished with library, billiard table, &c., for the use of staff when off duty.
The buildings were designed by Mr. James Miller, F.R.I.B.A., A.R.S.A., Glasgow, and are of terra cotta brick with stone dressings, treated in a simple yet effective manner after the style of the later Renaissance.
The Contractors for the works were as follows:- For mason, brick, and steel works, Mr James Speed; for joiner work, Messrs. A. Niven & Son; for plaster and cement work, Messrs Jas. Cruickshank & Son; for slater work, Messrs. J. McQuat & Son; for plumber work, Mr A. Low; for painter work, Messrs. J. Lindsay & Son; for tile work, Messrs. Haddow, Forbes & Co.; for electric wiring and fittings, The Taylor-Smith Electrical Co. ; for heating, Messrs. Jas. Cormack & Son; for grates, ranges, &c., Messrs. Dobbie, Forbes & Co.; and for fencing and stairs, Mr Allan Gibson.
The total cost of the buildings will be about £15,000 exclusive of the site. The measurers for the buildings were Messrs. Dansken & Purdie, Glasgow; and the whole works have been carried out under the supervision of the Architect and an Inspector from the Master of Works Department.
Opening of New Fire Station
May 21st, 1907, at 3 p.m.
Company will assemble in Engine Room
Formal Opening by Mrs. White calling out the Brigade
Company photographed at front of Station.
Retire to Recreation Hall. Refreshment, & c.
The Architects, Measurers & Contractors
Mr. Millar, Architect.
Mr. Purdie, Measurer.
(The Programme had 2 photos of the station, 1 of Provost White and 1 of the alarm panel along with a plan showing the layout of the station.)
In the 1870s, the Partick Fire
Service was a force of five firemen. By the time of the annexation, it had grown
to a full time professional force of a firemaster, a deputy firemaster, and ten
The first fire station was in Wilson Street, now Gullane Street, near the police office. In the event of a fire, the police summoned the firemen from home or work by ringing a bell from the roof of the police station. In 1893, the fire station moved to Anderson Street.
This fire station became inadequate for the needs of the expanding burgh and a new station was built in Hozier Street (Beith Street). The picture shows the opening ceremony on 21st May 1907. Mrs. John White wife of Provost White opened the station. In 1914, an extension was built to provide additional houses for the staff.
The station was closed in 1985 and the building was bought by the Meadowside and Thornwood Housing Association and converted into 23 flats.
vehicle was delivered to the Partick Fire Service in 1912. It was built by the
Halley Company of Yoker and was a highly sophisticated piece of apparatus for
its day as it was able to pump 500 gallons of water per minute. After the
annexation, the vehicle was stationed at Ingram Street Fire Station in the
centre of the city. The people of Partick were extremely unhappy at this move
and the appliance was eventually returned to Partick.
There were four photos with the article three of the buildings and one of the appliance.
(Partick Anecdotes compiled by Robert M. Paul. Pages 30 & 31.)
Partick Fire Brigade
The first station was in Wilson (Gullane) Street
and in the early days those unfortunate enough to have a fire had to pay for services
rendered, with a fee charged for each fireman involved. A new station was built at Clyde
Street and Hozier (Beith) Street in 1907. A notice of closure was served in 1985 and the
building has now been converted to housing. During conversion, workman uncovered a 73 year
old 'time capsule' which had been placed within the brickwork by the then Firemaster, Hugh
Weir, with photographs and documents describing day-to-day life at this busy fire station.
(Partick Remembered by Bill Spalding, ISBN 1 872074 70 7)
MAIN INDEX 1975 INDEX STRATHCLYDE INDEX