B01 SOUTH

Wholetime  CLOSED.

Stations

1899 to 27/10/1916 26 Warwick Street
27/10/1916 to 19/9/1986 180 Centre Street, Glasgow.               Photo

Firemasters

 

 

 

Appliances

 

1937

CGE751

Dennis/Dennis (Limosine)

P

1940

DGE80

Leyland/Merryweather

TL

1940

DGE605

Austin K4/Leyland Gwynne  700/900

P

1942

GLR417

Austin K2/Home Office

ET (ex ATV)

1944

GXH33

Austin K2/Home Office

ATV

1950

JGB590

Dennis F12/Dennis

PE

1955

NGD636

Dennis F12/Dennis

PL

1957

SUS149

Dennis F14/Dennis/Metz    (Lost at Cheapside Street)

TLP

?

TGE161

Dennis F12/Dennis

PE

1959

YGG509

Leyland Firemaster/Haydon

PE

1960

74CGD

Leyland Firemaster/Cocker

PE

1963

866HGB

AEC Mercury/Haydon

PL

1964

AYS273B

AEC Mercury/Carmichael

ET (1974 to BAT)

1978

YHS559S

Dodge K1113/Fulton & Wylie

WrL

 

 

  First Second TL ET FoT RRU
1976 NGE46F GGE394L 65KGA 867HGB FGG121C BGG736K
1980 YHS559S GGE394L 65KGA 867HGB    
1983 OGD74V OGD75V NHS922V     SGG689W

 

65KGA AEC Mercury/Haydon/Magirus TL
867HGB AEC Mercury/Carmichael ET
FGG121C AEC Mercury/Bennett/Pyrene FoT
NGE46F Deutz/MagirusSMT WrL
BGG736K Land Rover/Bennett RRU
GGE394L Dodge /Scoosher MKII/Carmichael Sch
YHS559S Dodge K1113/Fulton and Wylie WrL
NHS922V Shelvoke & Drury WY/Merryweather TL
OGD74V Bedford KG/HCB Angus CSV/Fulton and Wylie WrL
OGD75V Bedford KG/HCB Angus CSV/Fulton and Wylie WrL
SGG689W Ford A0610/Fulton and Wylie ESU

In 1975 South had the following appliances and call signs

Brigade                                  Station                   WrL        WrL        TL           ET           RRU        FoT
Glasgow Fire Service           B1                           B6           B7           B8           B9           B11         B10
Strathclyde Fire Brigade     B1                           B13         B14         B15         B17         B18         B19

Under Glasgow Fire Service appliance call signs were either GXB6 or Bravo 6.

The above call sign information was gleaned from B1 South Station log books.

 

Notes

 

1899 to 1941 Glasgow Fire Brigade
1941 to 1948 National Fire Service
1948 to 1975 Glasgow Fire Service
1975 to 1980? Strathclyde Fire Brigade

 

 

CORPORATION OF THE CITY OF GLASGOW

Souvenir

 

OPENING OF THE NEW SOUTHERN DISTRICT FIRE STATION

27th October, 1916.

 

<PHOTOS> EX BAILLIE D. P. McKECHNIE Convener Sub Committee on Fire Brigade

                      SIR THOMAS DUNLOP BART Lord Provost

                      WILLIAM WADDELL Chief Officer, Corporation Fire Dept.

 

 

COMMITTEE

The RightHon. the LORD PROVOST

Councillor ARCHIBALD CAMPBELL

Bailie JAMES STEWART (Broomielaw)

Councillor JAMES HUNTER

Bailie DAVIDSON

Councillor ROBERT HUNTER

Treasurer M'MILLAN

Councillor JOHN MITCHELL

Councillor BARRIE

Councillor JOHN BRUCE MURRAY

Councillor BEATTIE

Councillor JAMES MacDOUGALL

Councillor ROBERT S. BROWN

Councillor M'KECHNIE, D. L.

Councillor STARK BROWN

Councillor THOMAS PAXTON

Councillor M'KECHNIE, D. L., Convener.

 

SIR JOHN LINDSAY, Clerk.

WILLIAM WADDELL, Chief Officer.

THOMAS NISBET, A. M. I. C. E. D. Architect                                              WILKIE & SON, Measurers.

 

The Contractors for the erection of the building were:-

Mason

P. & W. Anderson, Ltd.

Slater

W. & D. Mailer

Wright

John Cochrane

Plaster

H. S. Bathgate

Plumber

Geo. Munro

     "

G. & R. Wemyss

Steel

Fleming Bros

Carver

Jas. Young & Son

Tiles

R. Brown & Son

Smiths

Jas. Robertson & Co.

 

Ferguslie Works, Paisley

Painter

John Forbes

 

 

Electric Lighting

Johnston, Park, & Co.

Photographs by William Fullarton.

 

Description of the New Southern District Fire Station

The NEW SOUTHERN DISTRICT FIRE STATION, now completed, promises to be in every way suitable, the station it has replaced being found unsuitable for present day requirements of the City Fire Brigade.
The new station extends to about 3,042 square yards.
The station has two frontages—one to Wallace Street and another to Centre Street.
On the ground floor, to the right of Centre Street entrance, is the Watch Room into which the New "Siemens" Fire Alarm Apparatus is installed. In close proximity to the Watch Room is the Engine House, where accommodation for four motor vehicles is provided. This apartment, during winter months, will be heated up with steam radiators; and, with a view to those in use at the Central Fire Station, are fitted.
The Wallace Street building will be wholly occupied by the firemen and their families. In each fireman’s house is a bath supplied with hot water from a steam boiler. Accommodation is provided for 36 families.
The buildings throughout are lit by electricity.
The station being built on the barracks principle, access to the houses can only be had from the Centre Street entrance, and thus each person entering or leaving will be under observation by the men on duty in the Watch Room.
The estimated cost of the building is 25,000.
This undertaking, it should be remembered, was authorised by the Corporation before the outbreak of war, but, owing to circumstances incidental to the war, the progress of the various contractors has been greatly hindered.
The new station is a substantial structure, built of terra-cotta bricks with stone dressings, and handsomely designed.
The question of adopting an improved fire alarm system was favourably discussed by the members of the Fire Brigade Committee. It was ascertained that there were several important points in favour of the "Siemens" Fire Alarms. On 2nd July, 1914, a deputation appointed by the Corporation inspected the fire alarm system of Messrs. Siemens Brothers & Company, Limited, at their works in Woolwich. A careful comparison between their system and the present in Glasgow was then made. As a result a report describing the former apparatus in detail was submitted for the consideration of the Fire Brigade Committee. It was found that the cost of installing a complete system for the city, as per Messrs. Siemens’ offer, would be 12,500. While the members of the Corporation were not prepared to recommend an alteration of the whole fire alarm system within the city, they agreed to install the "Siemens" system in the New Southern District Fire Station.
Arrangements were accordingly made to accept Messrs. Siemens’ offer to supply and install their system in the Southern Division for the sum of 1,287.
It was also found necessary to arrange for the system being connected with the Central Division, the extra apparatus required for this purpose entailing an additional expenditure of 150.
The new system, it may be observed, is worked on what is termed the "closed circuit" principle, that is, the alarm boxes are connected in series, and a current of constant value maintained over the lines. The wiring and apparatus are kept under constant test, any faults which may occur being automatically notified to the station concerned. An "earth" or a "contact" does not affect the working of the system, although immediate warning of such a defect is given—while a broken wire is also automatically recorded immediately it occurs, and by simply throwing a switch service is still maintained on the faulty circuit.
The "Siemens" system has many advantages over the system at present in use in Glasgow. There is a very considerable saving in wiring and consequent saving in maintenance charges, as each group of boxes only requires a pair of wires into the station, whereas at present each alarm has a separate wire.
The messages are recorded by means of holes punched in a paper strip passing through the Punch Registers fitted in the Fire Station, and also in the Central Fire Station. The time and date to the nearest minute is automatically stamped on the strip, thus forming a permanent record of the call.
To those who are acquainted with the present Glasgow fire alarm system, it is obvious that the method of automatically recording calls is a great improvement and highly important.
The progress of the City of Glasgow Fire Brigade in all its branches, especially during the past decade, has been very marked.
The plant and fire appliances, during that period, have been completely changed from horse haulage to motor traction. There are at present 27 motor vehicles in service, as the following table shows:-

 

Stations where Motors are Located

Chief
Officer's
Car

Motor
Extension
Ladder

Petrol
Motor
Pumps

Motor
Hose
Carriages

General
Purpose
Carriage

Total

Headquarters, Ingram Street

1

 

8

2

2

13

Southern District Fire Station

 

1

2

1

 

4

Queen’s Park District Fire Station

 

 

1

 

 

1

Govan District Fire Station

 

 

1

 

 

1

Northern District Fire Station

 

 

1

1

 

2

Maryhill District Fire Station

 

 

1

 

 

1

Springburn District Fire Station

 

 

1

 

 

1

Eastern District Fire Station

 

 

1

 

 

1

Western District Fire Station

 

 

1

 

 

1

Partick District Fire Station

 

 

1

1

 

2

Totals

1

1

18

5

2

27

 

When motor haulage was introduced in the year 1905, Mr. Charles J. Cleland held office as Convener of the Sub Committee on Fire Brigade. Mr. Cleland was quick to perceive the great advantages of motor traction as compared with horse haulage, and the present efficient condition of the Brigade is largely due to the untiring efforts of that gentlemen in the early days of motor traction as applied to the work of the Fire Department. Treasurer M’Millan, who also held office in the same capacity, was a warm supporter of the motor fire engine, and during his term of office modern fire engines were added to the equipment. His services to the Fire Brigade were invaluable, and many improvements in the working of the Department were brought about on his initiative, the preliminary arrangements in connection with the new Southern District Fire Station receiving his personal attention. Ex-Baillie M’Kechnie, the present Convener, has in every possible way continued the good work inaugurated by his predecessors in office. The completion of the new Southern Fire Station was carried out under his direction, and the handsome structure now added to the Department is, to a large extent, the outcome of his efforts to maintain the City of Glasgow Fire Brigade in a state of thorough efficiency. In addition, several modern fire engines have been added to the fleet of vehicles during his term of office, while numerous structural improvements in the stations have been brought about on his suggestion, greatly adding to the efficiency of the Brigade and to the comfort of its members.
As illustrating the progress which has been made since 1905, perhaps the following table, showing the class of vehicle and the year in which it was procured, may be of interest:-

Year

Motor
Hose
Carriages

Motor
Extension
Ladders

Petrol
Motor
Pumps

Chief
Officer's
Car

General
Purposes
Car

1905

1

 

 

 

 

1906

 

1

1

 

 

1907

 

 

2

 

 

1908

 

 

 

 

 

1909

 

 

 

 

 

1910

 

 

2

 

 

1911

 

 

8

1

 

1912

 

 

3

 

*1

1913

*4

 

 

 

 

1914

 

 

1

 

*1

1915

 

 

1

 

 

Total

5

1

18

1

2

*Erected in the Brigade Workshops at Headquarters.
It may be added that, so far as the introduction of motor traction is concerned, Glasgow was the first brigade of importance to adopt this particular means of propulsion.

19/9/1986 the South closed and they moved to Polmadie which had gone operational at 11am on Wednesday30/7/1986 when Queen's Park closed.

 

 

 

 

If you know of any mistakes in this or have any additional information please let me know.

 

MAIN INDEX                         1975 INDEX                         STRATHCLYDE INDEX