V02 POLLOK

2 Pumps Wholetime.

Stations

1941 to 1962            Pollokshaws Fire Station, 65 Ashtree Road, GLASGOW. S3
16/4/1962                 Pollok Fire Station, Levernside Crescent, GLASGOW. G53 5YJ.                                        Photo

 

Firemasters

 

                                                                                            See Glasgow and Strathclyde Firemasters

 

Appliances

1955 NGD636 Dennis F12/Dennis PL
? OGE161 Dennis F8/Dennis P
1957 TGE162 Dennis F8/Dennis PL
? TGE633 Dennis F8/Dennis PL
? 864HGB AEC Mercury/Haydon PL
1973 GGA155L Dodge K850/Carmichael/Simon Scoosher Mk2A WrL/Sch
1975 KGE452N Dodge K850/Fulton and Wylie WrL

 

  First Second
1976 GGA155L 864HGB
1983 GGB121T GGB123T
1988 A814XSJ A815XSJ
1991 H105YUS H106YUS
1997 P935SGE P942SGE
2004 SF53PPK P935SGE
2004 SF53PPK K375MYS
2006 SF06MYH SF53PPK
2010 Oct SF58ANV SF06MYH
2011 Jan SF58ANV SF60DHG
2012 April SF58ANV SF61DHE
19/4/2013 SF13GXO SF61DHE

 

864HGB AEC Mercury/Haydon WrL
GGA155L Dodge K850/Simon Scoosher Mk2A/Carmichael Sch
GGB122T Dodge K1613/HCB Angus WrL
GGB123T Dodge K1613/HCB Angus WrL
A814XSJ Bedford TK/Fulton and Wylie Fire Warrior WrL
A815XSJ Bedford TK/Fulton and Wylie Fire Warrior WrL
H105YUS Scania G93M-210/Emergency One WrL
H106YUS Scania G93M-210/Emergency One WrL
K375MYS Scania 93M-210/Emergency One WrL
P935SGE Scania P93M-220/Emergency One WrL
P942SGE Scania P93M-220/Emergency One (Darley Pump) WrL
SF53PPK Scania 94D-260/Saxon RPL
SF06MYH Scania P270/JDC RPL
SF58ANV Scania P270/JDC RPL
SF60DHG Scania P280/JDC/Polybilt RPL
SF61DHE Scania P280/JDC/Poltbilt   (CAFS) RPL
SF13GXO Scania P280/JDC/Polybilt RPL

 P942SGE ran as the second appliance so the Darley pump which was on trial in 4 of the machines in this batch could get plenty of use for the trial.

Notes

 

1941 to 1962 National Fire Service
1962 to 1975 Glasgow Fire Service
1975 to 2005 Strathclyde Fire Brigade
2005 to Strathclyde Fire and Rescue (Name change only.)

 In 1975 this was station B3 in the Glasgow Fire Service.

Station was rededicated after refurbishment on 16th September 2006.

 

In addition the new North-West Fire Station, Kelbourne Street, Glasgow, N.W., was opened in the Second World War year 1941. To this fire cover was also added during that period Pollokshaws and Marine Fire Stations, both of which were improvised and converted into Fire Stations during the Second World War period and are still in active service, pending the erection of new Stations.
(Report of the Firemaster of the City of Glasgow 1958. Page 7)

 

We said “farewell” during the year to the old war time station at Pollokshaws which came under the demolisher prior to the site being utilised for housing purposes in the new Pollokshaws Development Plan.
The opening of Pollok and Castlemilk stations has greatly accelerated attendance in those areas and the fire cover is therefore much improved. Both stations were designed by and built under the supervision of the City Architect’s staff at a cost of approximately £64,000 each. The general layout and facilities, provided both from the operational aspect and from the requirements of the station personnel, were much admired by those present at the opening ceremonies and much favourable comment was made by representatives from all branches of Fire Service and ancillary organisations. As stated elsewhere, the Rt. Honourable the Lord Provost officiated at both ceremonies, Pollok on Monday, 16th April, 1962, and Castlemilk on Friday, 14th September, 1962. Councillor Isabella Carter, J.P., presided at the Pollok ceremony in her capacity as Convener of the Sub committee on Fire Brigade and Lighting, with Bailie Philip Stinton, J.P. Convener of the Police, etc., Committee, occupying the chair at Castlemilk. Both ceremonies were well attended by members of the Corporation, senior officials, representatives of neighbouring Fire Authorities and the Scottish Home and Health Department and other interested guests.
(Report of the Firemaster of the City of Glasgow, 1962.)

 

Strathclyde Fire Board decided that the lowest offer from Sim Building Group Limited, Kirkintilloch, amounting to £507,032.55, for the refurbishment of Pollok Fire Station and an extension to the provision of dignified facilities be accepted subject to the conditions detailed in the report by Glasgow City Council.
Strathclyde Fire Board decided that the Community Safety Building within Pollok Fire Station be named “Iain McGill House” after a former long serving Fire Officer with Glasgow Fire Service and Strathclyde Fire Brigade who was instrumental in promoting community safety initiatives. The Community Safety Building would be a focal point for local community groups and a resource and training facility for improving the safety and life skills of the community.
(Strathclyde Fire Board Minutes 10/10/2002)

 

Establishment 2000

  Equipment  Wholetime
  2 Water Tender Ladders 4 Station Officers
    4 Sub Officers
    4 Leading Firefighters
    44 Firefighters

The Staff are split over four watches (Red, Blue, Green and White) 1 Station Officer, 1 Sub Officer, 1 Leading Firefighter and 11 Firefighters working 2 days, 2 nights and 4 days off. Water Tenders are normally manned 5 and 4.

Establishment 2007

  Equipment Wholetime
  2 Rescue Pump Ladders 4 Watch Commanders
    8 Crew Commanders
    44 Firefighters

The Staff are split over four watches (Red, Blue, Green and White) 1 Watch Commander, 2 Crew Commanders and 11 Firefighters working 2 days, 2 nights and 4 days off. Rescue Pump Ladders are normally manned 5 and 4.

If you know of any mistakes in this or have any additional information please let me know.

 

MAIN INDEX                         1975 INDEX                         STRATHCLYDE INDEX