2 Rescue Pump Ladders Wholetime.CLOSED.
|? to ?||Contractor's Garage, Sommerville Street.|
|1911||Mansion Street/Church Street Photo|
|3/9/1970 to 29/3/2011||Clydeford Street, Cambuslang. G72 7JG Photo|
|514BGE||AEC Mercury/Merryweather/Simon 70'||PHP|
|SGE305R||Dodge /Fulton and Wylie||WrL|
|OGD67V||Bedford KG/HCB Angus CSV/Fulton and Wylie||WrL|
|LGD632Y||Bedford KG/Fulton and Wylie Fire Warrior||WrL|
|L713UGA||Scania P93M-210/Emergency One||WrL|
|L714UGA||Scania P93M-210/Emergency One||WrL|
|SF10GWA||Scania P280/JDC/Poly Bilt||RPL|
Cambuslang Fire Station will be closing on the 29th March, 2011 and moving to the new Clydesmill Community Fire Station at Clydesmill Industrial Estate, Cambuslang. This station will have 1 Aerial Rescue Pump, 1 Rescue Pump Ladder and 1 Supplementary Equipment Vehicle towing a Zodiac boat as a Level 2 Water Rescue resource.
At Cambuslang, prior to the opening of the new Fire Station and police
building in Church Street, Cambuslang early in 1912, a Morris Fire Tender,
without pump, was stationed in a Contractor's Garage in Sommerville Street. On
the opening of the new Station this appliance was transferred to Church Street.
(Hand written note of unknown origin.)
On the 3rd April, 1970 all personnel and appliances from Rutherglen transferred to Cambuslang new station in Clydeford Street.
Previously served by Rutherglen Fire Station, Cambuslang acquired its own in 1911. The premises were located at the corner of Mansion and Church Streets and were shared with the Police. On 3rd September 1970 a new fire station was opened on Clydeford Road.
|1911 to 1948||Cambuslang ? Fire Brigade|
|1941 to 1948||National Fire Service|
|1948 to 1975||Lanarkshire Fire Brigade|
|1975 to 2005||Strathclyde Fire Brigade|
|2005 to||Strathclyde Fire and Rescue (Name change only.)|
Approval has been granted to close two fire stations in the
east of Glasgow and replace them with a single station costing £5m. Board
members of Strathclyde Fire and Rescue gave their backing to the plan, which
will see the closure of Cambuslang and Parkhead fire stations, at a meeting in
(The Herald, Saturday, February 10, 2007. Page 4.)
Cambuslang Fire Station along with Parkhead will move to a new station at Clydesmill on the 29th March 2011.
LANARKSHIRE FIRE BRIGADE OFFICIAL OPENING
CAMBUSLANG FIRE STATION
JAMES AITON, ESQ., J.P.
Lanarkshire Fire Brigade Joint Committee
THURSDAY, 3rd SEPTEMBER, 1970.
At 11.00 hours.
CAMBUSLANG FIRE STATION
This new Fire Station has been erected on a site on Clydeford Road,
Cambuslang, which strategically places it on the new roads and motorways plan for
Lanarkshire, and as soon as the New Bridge is erected across the River Clyde, this will
give ready access to the Carmyle Area.
The design of the Station has been produced with a view to reducing the circulation space to a minimum, and thereby minimising the amount of cleaning work required.
The appliance Room has accommodation for four Appliances, and is provided with an inspection pit. The doors are of the overhead type, electrically operated, and have a self-closing device, so that the Station can be left unattended and lockfast.
A Lecture Room is provided, complete with revolving blackboard, and other training aids.
The modern Kitchen has a full range of stainless steel equipment, and has adequate cupboard accommodation.
The entire building is electrically heated on the "off peak" tariff rate, and all floors are treated with a floor seal to reduce maintenance costs to a minimum.
The Training and Hose Drying Tower makes provision for the drying of up to twenty-seven lengths of hose at one time. This is achieved by the use of a 5ft diameter fan, situated in the roof of the Tower, and which accelerates the natural air flow, and so speeds up the drying process.
The Petrol Pump and 1,000 gallon storage tank have been provided in the yard to the rear of the Station.
The Station is manned by three Station Officers, four Sub Officers, two Leading Firemen, and twenty nine Firemen.
The building work, which commenced in October 1968, was completed in April 1970, at an estimated cost of £88,500.
(from The Official Opening Programme.)
If you know of any mistakes in this or have any additional information please let me know.
MAIN INDEX 1975 INDEX STRATHCLYDE INDEX