V05 CALTON

2 Pumps Wholetime.

Stations

Pre 1887

Struthers Street.

16/11/1887 to 1983

Eastern, 27 Soho Street, GLASGOW.                                          Photo

19/8/1983

Calton, 30 McFarlane Street, GLASGOW. G4 0TL.                    Photo

 

 

Firemasters

 

                                                                                            See Glasgow and Strathclyde Firemasters

 

Appliances

1937

BGD350

Dennis/Dennis (Limosine)

P

?

BGG305

Leyland (Limosine)

ET

1941

DGE604

Austin K2/Leyland-Gwynne 700/900

P

1957

TGE163

Dennis F8/Dennis

PL

1958

VGE795

Dennis F24/Dennis

PL

?

VGE796

Dennis F24/Dennis

PL

1969

SGE700G

Dennis DJ/Bennett/Simon Scoosher Mk1

WrL/Sch

?

SGE702G

Dennis DJ/Bennett/Simon Scoosher Mk1

WrL/Sch

1979

FGA136T

Dodge K1113/Fulton and Wylie

WrL

 

 

 

First

Second

1962

JUS783

 

1976

SGE700G

VGE795

  Calton  

1983

LGD627Y

 

1990

A36ASJ

LGD627Y

1991

H97YUS

H98YUS

1997

P931SGE

H98YUS

1998

R943HYS

P931SGE

2004 SF53PPV P931SGE
2004 SF53PPV J175GUS
2007 SF53PPV SF05DFD
2008 August SF53PPV SF10EHZ
2010 Nov SF05DDZ SF10EHZ
2012 May SF06MYJ SF10EHZ
2013 SF13GXM SF10EHZ
2017 Aug SF13GXM SV16NTM

 

JUS783

 

 

VGE795

Dennis F24/Dennis

PL

SGE700G

Dennis DJ/Bennett/Scoosher MkI

Sch

LGD627Y

Bedford TK/Fulton & Wylie Fire Warrior

WrL

A36ASJ

Bedford TK/Fulton & Wylie Fire Warrior

WrL

H97YUS

Scania G93M-210/Fulton and Wylie

WrL

H98YUS

Scania G93M-210/Fulton and Wylie

WrL

J175GUS Scania G93M-210/Emergency One WrL

P931SGE

Scania P93M-220/Emergency One

WrL

R943HYS

Scania 94D-220/Emergency One

WrL

SF53PPV Scania 94D-260/Saxon RPL
SF05DDZ Scania 94D-260/Saxon RPL
SF05DFD Scania 94D-260/Saxon RPL
SF06MYJ Scania P270/JDC RPL
SF10EHZ Scania P280/JDC/Polybilt RPL
SF13GXM Scania P280/JDC RPL
SV16NTM Scania P280/JDC RPL

 

 

Notes

NEW FIRE STATION IN EAST END

A new fire engine station, situated in Soho Street and intended to meet the requirements of the East End of the city, was formally opened yesterday afternoon. The buildings are large and elegant, every new improvement being embodied in their construction. Specially interesting is a new arrangement for opening the doors of the establishment expeditionaly on an alarm of fire being raised. There was a large gathering of members of the Town Council, East End merchants, and others at the opening ceremony yesterday. Ex Bailie Dickson, convener of the Watching and Lighting Committee, presided, and there were also present Bailie Thomson, Councillors Smith, Martin, Dr Wilson, and Mechan; Messrs F. Gibb Dougall, George Ogilvie, and others. The Chairman, in formally opening the establishment, after some interesting experiments, made a few remarks. He paid a high compliment to the firemaster, Mr Paterson, who deservedly, he said, enjoyed the most complete confidence of the Town Council and of the community. (Applause) Since his appointment he had done everything possible to make his department as efficient as possible. (Applause) The new buildings and site, Mr Dickson mentioned, had cost 5899. The Town Council expected that by thus providing efficient means for extinguishing fires the insurance premiums would be reduced. (Applause) He alluded briefly, in conclusion, to the satisfactory arrangements of the new station. Refreshments were afterwards provided for the company.
(The Glasgow Herald, Thursday, November 17, 1887. Page 6)

1m Calton Station opens

Strathclyde's newest fire station - Calton - has been officially opened by the vice chairman of the region's Police and Fire Committee, Councillor Gerald McGrath.
The station complex, in McFarlane Street, Glasgow, was designed by Honeyman, Jack & Robertson of Glasgow in conjunction with the regional council's Department of Architectural and Related Services.
Built by Taylor Woodrow Construction (Scotland) Ltd at a cost of 1,043,110, the building took 19 months to complete.

Credit

Before the official opening ceremony Councillor McGrath told "Strathclyde Fireman": "This is the first new station to be opened in Glasgow since 1975. It is a credit to the council, the brigade and the people who live and work in this part of the city, and I'm sure that the firemen who man it will benefit from the station's extensive facilities."
The building contains a four-bay appliance room, training tower, shower and changing facilities, lecture room, kitchen and dining room and recreation area.
The complex also houses 'B' Division headquarters and contains office accommodation, the division's Fire Prevention Department and the office of the Divisional Commander, SDO Douglas Leitch.
A special "Strathclyde Fireman" feature on the new station appears on page three. (? Page 2)
<PHOTO> Councillor McGrath is pictured outside the new station just before opening. (S&D TL and CSV OGD74V)
( Strathclyde Fireman No.22 August 1983. Page 1)

 

The Calton begins a new era

Calton Fire Station cost more than 1m to build and it is equipped with the most modern fire fighting equipment and highly trained professional firefighters.
But almost 100 years ago it was a slightly different story when Calton's predecessor, the East Fire Station in Soho Street, was officially opened at a cost of 5899.
In newspaper articles reporting the opening, which was held on 16 November 1887, the building was described as "being constructed of freestone in the Scotch baronial style and four storeys in height. The ground floor flat is used as an engine room and watch room and the stable is situated in a building at the back.
"On receipt of a fire alarm the horses are taken through the back door into the engine room and yoked to the machines within the premises. A cord is then pulled and the doors fly open automatically when the brigade rushes out."
Almost 100 years later the firemen at Calton will be doing much the same thing when the alarm goes off, except that nowadays the appliance doesn't have to be hitched up to a horse!
Another article recalled that before the East was built there was a fire station in Struthers Street. Although it has now disappeared from maps of the city, it was probably very close to McFarlane Street where the new Calton Station is now.
The story reveals that in the mid-1800s the captain of the brigade was a "six-foot common constable called Lang Davie Hutchison" and his beat was within the square bordered by Millroad Street, Stevenson Street, Abercromby Street (all still in existence) and Struthers Street.

Fire drum

"No call to arms in ancient times was more actively responded to than when the fire drum was beaten in the Calton," the article states.
"From all quarters men, women and children rushed towards the fire station. A large proportion of the inhabitants around the station were weavers and they were usually picked out to man the pumps, and invariably ran alongside the pump carriage to the scene of the fire.
"In the midst of this hubbub could be seen a man here and there, often without hat or coat, running at breakneck speed. These were the firemen, usually composed of slaters and shoemakers.
"But the hero of them all was wee Jamie Bulloch, the slater. Jamie was a hero to every Calton boy and when he appeared the shout would rise, "Ah, there's Bulloch, it'll no be lang till the fire's oot."
The new Calton Station like the rest of the stations in the Brigade, will have an appliance heading to a fire within a minute of the alarm being sounded.
And to help speed the departure traffic lights have been installed at the junction of McFarlane Street and Gallogate.
The buildings which also includes B Division headquarters staff, are single and two storey in height with sloping rooflights to provide natural light to most areas.
The rooflights will minimise vandalism and give greater security and privacy inside.
The station also has a public address system which, in addition to carrying announcements, acts as the carrier for fire alarm signals and station call outs.
If there is a night time call out automatic controls will operate pilot lighting to allow the firemen to get from the sleeping area to the appliance room.
Calton, which means hazel grove, will no doubt carve itself a place in the history of the area as the stations of yesteryear have done.
<PHOTO> of side of station. No caption.
<PHOTO> one of the Brigade's new Fire Warrior appliances noses out of the appliance room.
<PHOTO> Firemen Alex Porter and John Cairney get on with the job of keeping the appliance room floor clean.
( Strathclyde Fireman No.22 August 1983. Page 2)

 

Originally the Eastern Station it's name was changed at some point to East Station.

In 1975 East Fire Station was station A2 in the Glasgow Fire Service.

East Fire Station in Soho Street was replaced by Calton Fire Station at 30 McFarlane Street.

Originally Station B8 at start of Strathclyde Fire Brigade the station call sign was changed to U04 on 30/9/2005 during a reorganisation of Commands into Areas.

With the restructure of the three Glasgow Areas into two, approved by the Board on the 8th of April 2010, North East Glasgow was split between North West Glasgow, name now changed to North Glasgow, and South Glasgow with Calton moving to South Glasgow and on the 16th November 2010 the station call sign for Calton was changed from U04 to V05.

 

 

 

If you know of any mistakes in this or have any additional information please let me know.

 

MAIN INDEX                         1975 INDEX                         STRATHCLYDE INDEX