1 Pump Wholetime.
|1948||Main Street, Burgh Hall (watch room) below clock tower|
|? to 1950||Accommodation in Burgh Yard (Main St?) (Houf was in the bottle shop)|
|1950 to ?||The First Aid Post, Gertrude Place (Converted in 1950 to a Station) (Decomtamination Cedntre)|
|29/10/1964||Grahamstone Road, Barrhead G78 1TL. Photo|
1952 to 1962 Sub Officer Charlie Manson (at Gertrude Place)
1964 Station Officer Hugh Moran
? to ? Station Officer Bob McCrimmond
? to ? Station Officer Douglas Grant
? to ? Station Officer Jim Gamble (there in 1983)
? Rider Station Officers
|1976||KGA485N||Dodge K850/Fulton and Wylie||WrL|
|1980||GGG664T||Dodge 1613/HCB Angus||WrL|
|1989||OGD76V`||Bedford KG/HCB Angus CSV/Fulton and Wylie||WrL|
|1991||H108YUS||Scania 93M/Emergency One||WrL|
|1997||M910DDS||Scania 93M-220/Emergency One||WrL|
|2002||P943SGE||Scania 93M-220/Emergency One||WrL|
|2003||L719UGA||Scania 93M-220/Emergency One||WrL|
|2007||WX54VWJ||MAN TG-A 26-363 FDLRC 6x4/Marshall SV||PM for HVPU|
|2010 November||SF10GWD||Scania P280/JDC/Poly Bilt||RPL (Pump Faulty 2012)|
|2012||N830JSU||Scania 93M-220/Emergency One||RPL (Retro fit)|
|2013 May||SF13GXT||Scania P280/JDC/Polybilt||RPL|
The HVPU and associated pods were allocated to Barrhead but in July 2007 before it went on the run it was moved to Renfrew.
The first aid post in Gertrude Place was converted to a station in 1950.
Strathclyde Regional Council Police and Fire Committee approved disbandment of Retained Unit (7 men) 14/8/1980.
Up to 1959 there were 10 Retained Firemen.
From 1963 it was a Wholetime/Retained Station.
|? to 1941||?Barrhead Fire Brigade?|
|1941 to 1948||National Fire Service|
|1948 to 1975||Western Area Fire Brigade|
|1975 to 2005||Strathclyde Fire Brigade|
|2005 to 2013||Strathclyde Fire and Rescue (Name change only.)|
|1/4/2013||Scottish Fire and Rescue Service|
The Western Fire Area Administration Scheme Order, 1948
|1 Self-propelled pump||1 Leading Firemen|
1 Water Tender Ladder
4 Station Officer
4 Sub Officer
The Establishment is split over 4 watches, Red, White, Blue and Green working an average of 42 hours per week on a 2 days, 2 nights and 4 days off rota.
COUNTY ENTERS A NEW ERA IN FIRE FIGHTING
Barrhead’s new fire station, the
latest addition, the latest addition to the resources of the Western Area Fire
Brigade, is strategically sited, and its position at Cross Stobs provides easy
access to Barrhead, Neilston, Uplawmoor and the south part of Paisley.
The continued development of the built up area and the ravages of time on the existing stations have made its provision progressively more urgent and its completion has given Barrhead not only an up to date fire headquarters, but an attractive new landmark. The station which opens onto Dykebar Road, incorporates all the latest refinements calculated to be of assistance to fire fighters and fire officers and chairmen of fire committees who accepted the invitation to look over the new building at its recent opening no doubt did so with considerable admiration and – in some cases – not a little envy.
As well as the formal opening and speeches, the ceremony comprised a presentation of awards to candidates from Scotland who had attained the highest marks in the annual Fire Services (Scotland) Promotion Examinations. The presentations were made by Viscount Muirshiel.
Later on behalf of Her Majesty, the Queen, the Deputy Lord Lieutenant of the County of Renfrew, Dr. J. W. Macfarlane, presented the Queen’s Fire Services Medal, awarded to Firemaster Joseph Hartil in a recent Honours List. The Deputy Lord Lieutenant also presented Long Service and Good Conduct Medals to seven members of the Brigade who had completed not less than twenty years’ service.
While the station still had it’s brand new look, it had actually been in service for some time, sufficient for the switchboard operators, and other personnel, to be fully acquainted with the communications system in all its aspects.
Messrs Associated Fire Alarms,
in co-operation with the architect and Firemaster, designed the impressive
communications console that is finished in walnut, with an anti-glare surface on
the metal parts. Situated in the watchroom of the station, the console includes
a telephone switchboard designed specially for fire brigade use by the G.P.O.
The switchboard designed specially for five exchange lines and twelve
extensions. In the console are switches and push buttons controlling station
lighting and floodlights, alarm bells, and siren and call bells for part time
retained firemen. A private direct telephone link is provided between Barrhead
and the Brigade Area Fire Control at Johnstone, with a similar link to Barrhead
It is true to say that the advantages of the new fire station are not really apparent until one steps inside the building. Teak wood block flooring on the surface of the men’s recreation room is typical of details that combine to be functional yet luxurious in appearance. And the “ease” of the easy chairs is most inviting. It is left to the men to provide their own recreational equipment.
At the business end of the building there is a spacious three bay appliance room accommodating two regular fire engines and an auxiliary fire services engine, provision has also been made for expansion in the future should this prove necessary.
Other telling points are the clean lines of the lecture room and the provision of a private study. Educational classes for firemen are run in the Brigade in Paisley and Greenock. Classes for more advanced subjects are provided at the Reid Kerr College, by courtesy of the Renfrew County Education Committee.
A 48 hour week was introduced for firemen in December 1963, yet it is not long ago that they wee burdened with hours of duty considerably longer than those normally encountered in industry. And in another field of no small importance – salaries no less – the firemen have caught abreast of the current trend. Their last increase was as recent as August.
The dormitory in the new building is spacious and airy, there is a stairway that would grace the entry to any executive suite. The locker room also provides its commentary on the helpful outlook that has characterised the planning of the station. Other stations caught up in the march of time, may be short of space, but not this one.
Visitors are invariably charmed by the quick escape route provided. This is the legendary “greasy pole”, that is synomimous with speed. Things have looked up since Chaplain’s day however. In a circle at the foot of the pole rubber has been laid to a depth of three inches – which tends to make the landing happier.
The attention given to details in the planning impresses at every turn. Firemen’s helmets, of course, are awkward in some respects, because of their design. So it was thought best to provide a special structure – a small metal rest – on which the hat could sit upright! Boots don’t just sit or lie on the floor. Racks are provided where they can be stored for neatness and easy access.
Breathing apparatus, which in
the interests of safety has to be kept spotlessly clean, is serviced in a
special room of the new station. There is also a detached building in a corner
of the station set aside for training firemen in the use of such apparatus. The
apparatus gives protection against all gasses with the exception of skin
irritants, and the oxygen supply lasts one hour. Incorporated in the outfit is a
warning whistle that sounds automatically when there is only a ten minute supply
left. Firemen wearing the apparatus are kept in touch with the officer in charge
by telephone link.
Tradition cannot be said to die hard in the fire service and old ideas have not been perpetuated unless they had some obvious virtue. That’s why the men’s dinning room is not one of those institutional affairs, done in brown paint with innumerable layers of varnish on top. This one is completely up to date with contempary light fittings, and skilful use of colour.
Next to the fire station, and to the rear, lies the home of the resident Station Officer, Hugh Moran, which like the rest of the new building incorporates an enlightened use of modern planning and materials.
<PHOTO> Inside Barrhead’s modern building, the “greasy pole” is still used for descending quickly.
<PHOTO> Barrhead’s new fire station, which will be officially opened this afternoon. Our photograph shows the engine sheds.
<PHOTO> It is an indication of the growth in stature of the burgh of Johnstone that the new Western Area Fire Headquarters have been located there. The new building, part of which is shown here, is not far from the fire station established several years ago higher up the hill from Johnstone High Station at Thornhill.
(Paisley Daily Express, Thursday, October 29, 1964. Page 5.)
OPENING OF NEW FIRE STATION
AT CROSS STOBS
Within a couple of “ticks” of
Viscount Muirshiel pushing the button that signalled the opening of Barrhead
Fire Station yesterday, two modern fire engines had raced from the main exit
with split second timing. Afterwards the company that assembled for the ceremony
watched with interest, and not a little mirth as they were treated to a
demonstration that included the use of Kilbarchan’s forerunner of the fire
engine, a hand operated cart pump. The contrast was enlightening.
It was a happy occasion, graced by Viscount Muirshiel, P.C., C.M.G., who was a well liked Secretary of State for Scotland and a politician with a smile that even charmed the Opposition.
Situated on Dykebar Road, at Cross Stobs, the new station was inspected by members of the fire committees and fire brigade officials from a wide area. A number of the public also turned out to view the proceedings.
It was a memorable day for Firemaster Joseph Hartil, of the Western Area Fire Brigade. The chairman of the Western Fire Area Joint Committee, Dr. J. W. Macfarlane, presented him with the Queen’s Medal.
Quite apart from the outstanding personal equalities that have one him many friends and provided an excellent example to the men he commands, he has carried on the forward looking spirit that was engendered by his predecessor, Firemaster Bowman.
In his introductory remarks, Dr. Macfarlane said that Viscount Muirshiel more than anyone else had made possible the existence of the new establishment.
Provost W. MacCreadie, Barrhead, was sure that the fact of the new fire station being in the precincts of Barrhead would give pleasure to the people of the burgh. The firemen, he said, were part of a service that remained in the background until called into the forefront; it could be relied on never to fall down on the job. There were many instances, he assured his listeners, in which the courage and bravery of firemen went unseen and unheard. He wished all those who served in the new station success in their endeavours, and thanked all those whose labours had brought it into being.
The chairman, Dr. Macfarlane, Deputy Lord Lieutenant, pointed out before the presentation of awards that the Western Fire Area covered 3,500 square miles of territory.
Handing over the prizes to those firemen who had gained honours from the Examinations Board in recognition of passes, Viscount Muirshiel said it was perhaps his years at the Scottish Office that had given him a particular affection for the fire services.
The fire brigade had something romantic in its make up and it was only Scots reticence that held people back from following the fire engine when it passed them in the street. There was, he confessed, a certain amount of jealousy in their hearts as they watched the men, who required expert judgment and high technical skill, go into action in their firefighting activities. Everything was being done to encourage a high standard among entrants to the fire services. This was necessary. A year’s fire damage was about £66,500,000, and 700 people lost their lives annually in fire throughout the country.
Hours of work had gone down, and the pay had increased for firemen resulting in a need for more firemen, yet recruiting was not meeting with the success he would liked to have seen. He hoped that in the future suitable men would be attracted to service in the fire services. There were few careers today that offered as much challenge and gave the opportunity to acquire and use advanced technical knowledge and skills.
After he had performed the opening ceremony, Viscount Muirshiel was presented with a cigarette box from the men of the Western Area Fire Brigade. This was handed over by resident Station Officer, H. Moran, G.I.F.E., A.F.I.C.A.
Viscount Muirshiel remarked that the cigarette box represented a gesture he would always appreciate. He expressed thanks for the gift.
Mr Robert Urquhart, former County Clerk of Renfrewshire, moved a general vote of thanks.
The local firemen among the group who received awards were A. McDowall of Barrhead and R. Mitchell of Paisley.
The fire station building was designed by Mr James Fulton, architect, Renfrew County Council, and was erected at a cost of £65,000.
Dr. J. W. Macfarlane, D.L.,
Ph.D., chairman of the Western Area Joint Fire Committee, is the longest serving
chairman of such a committee in Scotland, and he presided at the opening of the
new Barrhead Fire Station today.
Invited guests were able to tour the station after the speeches and the opening ceremony had concluded. Viscount Muirshiel officially opened the new station.
The Barrhead development is one of a number of improvements contemplated. The new Headquarters for the Western Area are at Johnstone where the principal departments have been centralised.
Firemaster Joseph Hartil has his office there, and the building also houses the Administrative HQ, the Fire Control Room, area workshops, area stores, etc.
Other developments in the near future include the replacement of Darnley Fire Station by another to be located somewhere in the Clarkston area, to serve Newton Mearns and the eastern section of Renfrewshire.
Locally it is planned to have a fire station at Camphill, but the siting is dependant upon other factors which will arise in course of the next few years.
(? where & date)
Viscount will open new fire station
<PHOTO> All is quiet at
Barrhead’s new fire station, to be opened tomorrow by Viscount Muirshiel.
Costing £65,000, the station took less than two years to build.
Barrhead’s new £65,000 fire station will be officially opened tomorrow afternoon by Viscount Muirshiel, the former Secretary of State for Scotland, John S. Maclay.
Planned over three years ago because of the inadequacy of Darnley Fire Station, the new building at Barrhead took just under two years to complete – despite a three month holdup at the start because of bad weather.
Situated on the northern outskirts of the town the traditional red brick fire station is ideally placed to cope with any eventually in its area.
A highly trained team of firemen has been hand picked from other Western Area units and in their short spell since the station became operational have proved themselves fully competent. The strength at Barrhead is one station officer – Mr Hugh Moran – four sub officers and 23 men. In addition there are ten part timers standing by in case of real emergency.
The ground floor of the station is mostly taken up by three “bays” for the fire fighting equipment. A tender equipped with pump, water tank and escape ladder stands with another engine and a civil defence vehicle – known as the “Green Goddess”. Also standing by are a staff car and an all purposes van.
A complicated control or watch room – the “brain” of the station is attached to the engine bays. Here all lighting and alarm equipment has been installed, together in a specially designed switchboard so that one man can be in a position to control all operations. Also downstairs are toilets, station office, general office and drying and cleaning rooms for the firemen to use after a job.
Upstairs is a recreation room with easy chairs and modern fittings. In addition there is a staff canteen and kitchen, a dormitory for those on night shift, a study (today’s firemen are encouraged to pass stern examinations) and a lecture room.
Two poles lead from the first floor to the muster bay insuring a quick getaway.
Behind the station stands a huge training tower often used for ladder drills and for drying hoses. Floodlights in the spacious yard allow night training. Lastly a modern house stands apart from the station – built for the station officer.
Firemaster Joseph Hartil – who will receive the Queen’s Fire Service Medal tomorrow – described the new station as “very modern and designed to meet the needs of many years ahead.”
(Barrhead News, Wednesday, October 28, 1964. Page 2.)
Birds’ eye view
<PHOTO> TOP LINE UP AT THE FIRE
Several of the people at the opening of Barrhead Fire Station lined up for our photographer. From left to right they are: Provost John Mason of Renfrew, Station Officer Hugh Moran of Barrhead, Dr. J. McFarlane, Viscount Muirshiel, Firemaster Joseph Hartil and Provost William MacCreadie of Barrhead.
Guests at the opening of Barrhead’s ultra modern fire station were given the once in a lifetime chance of being lifted the height of a five storey building – on one of the fire service’s latest rescue appliances.
The hydraulically operated Firefly Snorkel – as it is known – is mounted on a lorry. With its giant arm it can lift a platform capable of taking three men to a height of nearly eighty feet.
This was one of the attractions of a superbly run opening ceremony on Thursday. After the presentation of prizes to examination winners and the presentation by Dr. James McFarlane, Deputy Lieutenant of the County, of the Queen’s Fire Service Medal to Firemaster Joseph Hartil, the plaque commemorating the opening was unveiled by Viscount Muirshiel.
The Viscount spoke of his work in St Andrew’s House as Scottish Secretary. “The instruments the Secretary of State has are words,” he said, “I envy every fireman his challenging vocation which calls for the use of such modern equipment.” Even so, recruiting was found to be difficult in the Fire Service.
He went on to point out that 700 people lost their lives in fires last year, and damage amounted to over £66m.
Immediately the unveiling was over an alarm bell sounded and fully equipped firemen dashed into the main bay where the guests were seated, demonstrating how quickly the service moved into action.
Then it was outside to where a team of firemen fought an imaginary blaze in the training tower with one of the Fire Service’s very first engines.
Many of the guests went up in the Firefly Snorkel as others were guided round the station, which will serve the Barrhead area as far as Uplawmoor and South Paisley.
A buffet tea concluded the proceedings – and in a few hours the station was back to normal, ready to tackle anything.
(Barrhead News, Wednesday, November 4, 1964. Page 1.)
If you know of any mistakes or have any additions to this please let me know.
MAIN INDEX 1975 INDEX STRATHCLYDE INDEX