S03 RENFREW

1 Pump, 1 High Volume Pump & Pods, Wholetime.

Stations

1834/35 Water Engine and other apparatus deposited at the Gaol
1948 'Sandyford', Renfrew Road, Paisley
26/11/1965 Paisley Road, Renfrew PA4 8LJ                                                      Photo

 

Firemasters

1834/35 Captain James Wallace
1836/37 Captain John Stewart,  Canal Street
1920 Firemaster Charles Angus
1941 to 1948 National Fire Service
? to ? Station Officer Coull  (1st residential Station Officer.)
? to ? Station Officer 'Sanny' Martin
? to ? Station Officer Jim Gamble
? to? Station Officer William Steele   (Billy)
? Rider Station Officers
30/9/2005 Station Manager 'A' Bob Flynn
2005 Station Manager 'A' John Hunter (Acting)
2007 Station Manager 'A' Euan McQuarry

 

Appliances

1834/35 Water Engine and other apparatus    
1879 Manual Fire Engine    

 

  First Retained RRU Supplementary Equipment Vehicle High Volume Pump

1954

GHS529

 

 

 

 

1972

JHS808K

 

 

 

 

1976

VMS672

 

 

 

 

1980

GGG659T

KGA482N

SHS721M

 

 

1983

EGD272X

 

SGG691W

 

 

1989

C432KDS

 

D377RGG

 

 

1994

H101YUS

 

D377RGG

 

 

1996

N829JSU

 

L155XGE

 

 

2003

J169GUS

 

L155XGE

 

 

2003

SF03OMU

 

L155XGE

 

 

2004

SF03OMU

 

 

 

 

2005

SF03OMU

 

 

SB51XLE

 

2007 July

SF03OMU

 

 

SB51XLE

WX54VWJ

2010 June

SF53PPU

 

 

SA52FYS

WX54VWJ

2010/8/20

SF10EHU

 

 

SA52FYS

WX54VWJ

2011/4/1

SF10EHU

 

 

 

WX54VWJ

2017 August SV16NSY       SF10EEN

1/4/2011 the Level 2 Water Rescue response was moved to the new Clydesmill Station along with the High Volume Pump Pods.

 

GHS529

Dennis F12            (Wooden Merryweather Ladder)

PE

VMS672

Bedford TK/HCB

WrT

JHS808K

Dodge K850

WrL

KGA482N

Dodge K850/Fulton and Wylie

WrL

SHS721M

Ford D0916/Fulton and Wylie

H&FoT

GGG659T

Dodge K1613/HCB Angus

WrL

SGG691W

Ford A0610/Fulton and Wylie

ESU

EGD272X

Bedford KG/CFE

WrL

C432KDS

Dodge G13/Fulton and Wylie

WrL

D377RGG

Ford Transit LWB/SFB

RRU

H101YUS

Scania G93-210/Emergency One

WrL

J169GUS

Scania G93M-210/Emergency One

WrL

L155XGE

Mercedes 410D/Emergency One

RRU

N829JSU

Scania 93M-220/Emergency One

WrL

SB51XLE

Ford Ranger 4x4

SEV

SA52FYS

Ford Ranger 4x4

SEV

SF03OMU

Scania 94D-260/Saxon          (CCTV)

RPL

SF53PPU

Scania 94D-260/Saxon

RPL

WX54VWJ

MAN TG-A 26-363 FDLRC 6x4/Marshall SV

PM for HVPU

SF10EEN Scania P360 CB 6x4 MS2/Emergency One/Logan Ingles PM

SF10EHU

Scania P280/JDC/Polybilt

RPL

SV16NSY Scania P280/JDC/Polybilt RPL

 

The SEV tows a trailer with 2 PWCs or a Zodiac MKIII boat.

Pods on station are High Volume Pumping Unit, Environmental Pod, Mass Decontamination and Welfare.
The first turnout for the HVPU was on ????? to ? Loch at Lochwinnoch.
The first turnout for the ENV pod was on Tuesday 27th January 2009 to a train crash at Stewarton.

 

Notes

The first mention of a Fire Brigade in the town of Renfrew is on the 7th January, 1834. The Renfrew Town Fire Brigade was disbanded about January 1920, when fire cover was provided by the County of East Renfrewshire, which had it's Station at Darnley. The Firemaster was Mr. Charles Angus, who later became Firemaster of the combined brigades of East and West Renfrewshire. About 1939, it was agreed to recommend that the County Council and Town Councils of Barrhead, Johnstone and Renfrew accept the principle of entering into a General County Scheme whereby the Fire Brigades at Darnley and Johnstone would be under the control of one Committee which would serve the landward areas of the County and the Burghs of Barrhead, Johnstone and Renfrew.

A MODEL FIRE ENGINE 

The Ass was at Renfrew on Saturday, and assisted, together with the Provost and Magistrates of that Royal Burgh, at what was meant to be an imposing ceremonial – this being nothing less than the annual exhibition of the fire engine belonging to the Corporation. Had he not been made aware beforehand of the character of the machine, Asinus would have set it down as a “butcher’s hearse,” but when he was told it was a fire engine, he remarked “all right, go on with your show.” The Provost beamed approval at the remark, and the “show” proceeded. “See how she can do it,” exclaimed the “able and intelligent officer” in charge, as “swish, swash” resounded from the pumps when the handles had been worked up and down a sufficient number of times by the burly “brigade.” It was an exciting moment! The hearts of the municipality throbbed with wild exultation! Suddenly, however, not to say cruelly, a wet blanket was thrown over the exhibition. A too officious onlooker pointed out that “nae water was comin’!” This was too much! Dismay pervaded the entire municipality. Even the remark from a philosophic bailie, that “it would be a’ richt if the pumps were only ‘fanged’ on the mornin’ afore the fire” did not serve to restore the magisterial spirit. The assemblage dispersed sorrowfully and slow, the last echo heard by Asinus regarding the apparatus being, “She should be ta’en hame out o’ the caul’, an’ on nae account be sent to a fire, for if she wis she ran a chance o’ gettin’ burnt!” – Bailie
(The Greenock Advertiser, Monday, February 17, 1879. Page 4)

To return to Renfrew, there were two other fire units, one at the Lobnitz Work, this was a Merryweather steam engine, the other was at the Co-op, what type they had is not known. The Renfrew Town Brigade, had a Rose steam engine and the horses used to pull it were from Walter Johnston, carrier and undertaker, and on occasion the horses from the Cleansing Dept were also used. On one occasion it is known that the City of Glasgow Brigade attended in the Burgh.

The Burgh of Renfrew was covered by temporary premises in the Burgh of Paisley, Sandyford Fire Station was a four bay garage and two pre-fabricated huts. It was also the Training School of the Western Area Fire Brigade. 1949/50.

There was a Sandyford Fire Station, Paisley where drill competitions were held in 1952. This was a 1pump station covering Renfrew and was also the local training school.

 

1834 to 1920? Renfrew Town Fire Brigade
1920? to 1941 East Renfrewshire Fire Brigade
1941 to 1948 National Fire Service
1948 to 1975 Western Area Fire Brigade
1975 to 2005 Strathclyde Fire Brigade
2005 to 2013 Strathclyde Fire and Rescue (Name change only.)
1/4/2013 Scottish Fire and Rescue Service

 

A new fire station costing £80,000 is to be opened at Renfrew on November 26 by Dr J. Dickson Mabon, Under Secretary of State, Scottish Office. The area served by the new station stretches from Hillington Industrial Estate to Bishopton.
(The Glasgow Herald, Saturday, October 30, 1965 page 5b)

 

All boys together

at Renfrew's new Fire Station

What a jolly affair the opening of Renfrewshire's newest Fire Station, at Porterfield Road Renfrew, turned out to be. With fire engines dashing about sounding off their new continental klaxons, the principal guests recalling their boyhood days, when they won badges in the Boys Brigade for firefighting and, the highlight of the proceedings, Dr Dick Mabon, Dr J W Macfarlane and Firemaster Joseph Hartil hoisted to dizzy heights in one of the new snorkel contraptions from the fire station yard.
The fire station-all £79,000 worth of it-had been scrubbed, polished, and preened until every last tile fairly sparkled. And with the fire crews standing by, Dr Mabon had high praise for all Renfrewshire firemen who risk their lives so frequently to save people and property. When he recalled that-as a lad-he had been one of the first to gain the Fireman's badge in the B.B., Provost Stephen Cameron who was to speak next, looked a little perturbed. It turned out that the Provost, too, had been one of the first to get the badge and had it all noted down as part of his speech. Dr J W Macfarlane-who presided-had to admit when his turn came that he could not compete. He had no fireman's badge at all.
After a long service medal had been presented to Sub Officer John Docherty, of 24 Durward Crescent, Foxbar,-who had been with the Paisley Fire Brigade for twenty years-Dr Mabon unveiled a commemorative plaque.
He had suggested, jokingly, that he would like to turn on a hose and baptise the station and he took most folk by surprise when he pressed the alarm bell. In less than twenty seconds two machines were manned and on their way in a spectacular dash from the front doors of the new building, round the block and into the yard at the back.
It was then that such items as the hose-laying machine and the giant snorkel were demonstrated.
<Photo> HAPPY FIREMAN Sub Officer John Docherty of Foxbar after receiving his Long Service Medal.
<Photo> HAPPY GATHERING Firemaster Joseph Hartil, Dr J Dickson Mabon, Dr J W Macfarlane and Provost Stephen Cameron after the opening ceremony at the weekend of Renfrew's new Fire Station at Porterfield Road.
( Paisley and Renfrewshire Gazette, Friday December 3, 1965. Front Page.)

 

"Snorkel" Fire Appliance at Renfrew

<PHOTO> Renfrewshire's newest £80,000 fire station in Broadloan was opened last Friday by the Joint Under Secretary of State, Dr. J. Dickson Mabon. In our picture, Dr Mabon (second from left) is seen standing on the new "snorkel" fire appliance with Dr. J. W. Macfarlane, chairman of the Western Fire Area Joint Committee (2nd from right), Mr Joseph Hartil, the Western Area Firemaster (extreme right), and the new appliance's demonstrator (left)
(Paisley Daily Express, Monday, December 6, 1965. Page 2)

 

 

The Western Fire Area Administration Scheme Order, 1948

  Equipment Whole-time Retained
  1 Pump Escape 1 Company Officer  
  1 Self-propelled pump 2 Section Leaders  
  1 Standard Towing Vehicle 2 Leading Firemen 1 Leading Fireman
  1 Light trailer pump (Area reserve) 16 Firemen & Watch Room Attendants 9 Firemen

 

Establishment 2000

 

 

Equipment

Wholetime

per watch

 

1 Water Tender Ladder

4 Station Officers

1 Station Officer

 

1 Road Rescue Unit

4 Sub Officers

1 Sub Officer

 

 

4 Leading Firefighters

1 Leading Firefighter
    28 Firefighters 7 Firefighters

 

 

Establishment 2004

 

 

Equipment

Wholetime

per watch

 

1 Water Tender Ladder

4 Station Officers

1 Station Officer

 

 

4 Sub Officers

1 Sub Officer

 

 

20 Firefighters

5 Firefighters

 

 

The Establishment is split over 4 watches, Red, White, Blue and Green working an average of 42 hours per week on a 2 days, 2 nights and 4 days off rota.

The Road Rescue Unit was taken off the run at 10-00 hours on Wednesday 14th April 2004 and the establishment reduced by 1 Leading Firefighter and 2 Firefighters per watch.

Strathclyde Regional Council Police and Fire Committee approved disbandment of Retained Unit (No members) 14/8/1980.

 

If you know of any mistakes in this or have any additional information please let me know.

 

 

MAIN INDEX                         1975 INDEX                         STRATHCLYDE INDEX