Q16 NEWMILNS

1 Pump Retained.

Stations 

Pre 1940

Garage off Craigview Road

? to ?

Gas Works, Drygatehead                      AFS/NFS

? to 1953

Brown Street                                           AFS/NFS

2/9/1953 to Dec 1990

143-5 Main Street, Newmilns                                                            Photo

Dec 1990 to

130 Loudon Road, Newmilns, KA16 9HG                                       Photo

In 1950 premises were a small double shop.

 

Firemasters

 

? to 1939

Firemaster W. Barr

1939 to ?

Leading Fireman G. Smith

? to ?

Leading Fireman J. Donald

? to ?

Sub Officer J. Smith

? to ?

Sub Officer A. McPherson

? to ?

Sub Officer G. Whitelaw

1984? to 1987

Sub Officer David Gray (Davy)

? to ?

Sub Officer J. Fitzpatrick

? to ?

Sub Officer J. McCracken

? to 1999

Sub Officer Ian Sloan                             Was Sub 28/2/1991

4/2/2000 to 2009?

Sub Officer Alexander Gray   (Sandy)

2009? to Watch Commander Barry Caldwell (Still there 2018)

 

Appliances

 

 

Pre 1940   Hose Laden Barrow  
?   Lorry      (Peter Spiers Haulage Contractor)  
?   Standard Towing Unit  
?   Hose Reel Tender and Trailer Pump  
?   Dennis P
1976 ESD855D Bedford J5/HCB Angus Firefly WrT
1980 XCS242K Bedford TK/HCB Angus WrT
1989 A813XSJ Bedford KG/Fulton and Wylie Fire Warrior WrL
1994 E147XDS Scania 82M/Fulton and Wylie WrL
1994 K372MYS Scania 93M-210/Emergency One WrL
2010 August SG02XLV Scania 94D-260/Emergency One RPL
2017 October SF57JCY Scania P270/JDC RP

 

 

Notes

New Station dedicated on 28/2/1991, occupied December 1990.

 

 

???? to 1941 Newmilns Burgh Fire Brigade
1941 to 1948 National Fire Service
1948 to 1975 South Western Area Fire Brigade
1975 to 2005 Strathclyde Fire Brigade
2005 to 2013 Strathclyde Fire & Rescue (Name change only.)
1/4/20103 to Scottish Fire and Rescue Service

 

 

The South Western Fire Area Administration Scheme Order, 1948

 

 

Equipment

Retained

 

1 Large Trailer Pump

1 Leading Fireman

 

1 Light Trailer Pump

9 Firemen

 

1 Towing Vehicle

 

 

The South Western Fire Area Administration Scheme Order, 1957

 

 

Equipment

Retained

 

2 Pump Appliances

1 Sub Officer

 

 

1 Leading Fireman

 

 

8 Firemen

 

Establishment 2000

 

 

Equipment

Retained

 

1 Water Tender Ladder

1 Sub Officer

 

 

1 Leading Firefighter

 

 

8 Firefighters

 

 

Newmilns Fire Station

Dedication Service 

Thursday 28th February 1991

 

 

ORDER OF PROCEEDINGS

 

GUESTS ASSEMBLE 

INTRODUCTION
Firemaster J. Jameson

CHAIRMAN'S REMARKS
Councillor J. Jennings J. P.
Chairman, Police and Fire Committee 

DEDICATION
Rev. Liz Houston 

FIREMASTER
Closing Remarks 

REFRESHMENTS 

 

INTRODUCTION
Newmilns fire station has come a long way since fire cover was provided by Firemaster Barr and his barrow prior to World War II!
The beautiful, ultra-modern station which we have today will provide fire cover for the towns of Newmilns, Darvel and Galston well into the 21st Century. “The Valley” which is world famous for its lace, embraces a large number of lace mills and associated risks. Over the years personnel from Newmilns have attended many serious fires due to the nature of this industrial risk.

HISTORY
Prior to 1940 the Newmilns Burgh “fire station” consisted of a hose laden barrow situated in a garage off Craigview Road
The First A.F.S./N.F.S. War-time fire station was located at the Gas works at Drygatehead and later moved to Brown Street. In 1953 the fire station in Main Street was commissioned by the South Western Area Fire Brigade and remained there until December 1990, when the fine new station provided by Strathclyde Fire Brigade opened its doors for the first time. 

OFFICERS IN CHARGE
Newmilns Burgh                                  Firemaster W. Barr
A.F.S./N.FS.                                          Leading Fireman G. Smith
South Western Area                            Leading Fireman J. Donald
                                                                Sub Officer J. Smith
                                                                Sub Officer A. McPherson
Strathclyde Fire Brigade                     Sub Officer G. Whitelaw
                                                                Sub Officer D. Gray
                                                                Sub Officer J. Fitzpatrick
                                                                Sub Officer J. McCracken
                
The present Officer in Charge is Sub Officer J. Sloan. 

APPLIANCES OVER THE YEARS
Newmilns has been “home” to a number of fire appliances of varying shapes and sizes since its inception, including the now famous barrow, and a lorry belonging to local haulage contractor Peter Spiers!
More orthodox appliances over the years have included a Standard Towing Unit with trailer pump; hose-reel tender with trailer pump; Dennis self propelled pump; Bedford Firefly water tender; and an H.C.B. Angus water tender.
Today the station is served by a Bedford Fire Warrior water tender ladder, which is laden with a multitude of equipment essential to the modern firefighter. 

OPERATIONAL INCIDENTS:
PAST AND PRESENT
Over the years the number of calls responded to by Newmilns firefighters have increased dramatically, in keeping with the trend throughout the Brigade.
In 1960, the station received 29 calls for assistance. By 1970 this had almost doubled to 57, with an increase to 82 calls in 1980. By the end of 1990, Newmilns firefighters had been called out on no fewer than 146 occasions.
The new station at Newmilns was designed by one of the Region’s own architects, Mr. Graham Campbell, who works for the Central Design Section at Hamilton.
The construction of the building was carried out by McTaggart Construction Ltd., Dalry, and the whole project was finished at a cost of £481,000 therefore it is hoped that the new station will continue the important role of the fire service within the community. 

DOWN MEMORY LANE
Newmilns Flood:-
In 1954, a major flood caused the
town’s coup at Isles Public Park to slip into the Norrell Burn, and was carried into Darvel Road, Main Street, Union Street and Burn Road The resultant debris comprised uprooted trees, dead animals and 20 years accumulation of rubbish. The Fire Brigade was involved for many days in a massive clear-up operation.
Newmilns Junior Secondary School:-
In 1960, a spectacular fire engulfed Newmilns Junior Secondary School in High Street. Even today, the memory of this blaze brings a tear to the eye of the former pupils throughout the world.
The fire destroyed 80% of the school and its contents, and at its height was fought by Newmilns firemen backed up by colleagues from Kilmarnock and surrounding stations.
Galston Flood:-
In 1978, heavy rains and high winds caused the River Irvine to rise rapidly and flood the surrounding area, Three separate rescue incidents were dealt with simultaneously – two persons trapped in a caravan at a building site; ten persons rescued from flats in the town; and evacuation of elderly residents from Eventide Home. 

For their actions in connection with the Galston Flood, the following awards were made to Newmilns personnel:-
Firemaster’s Commendation:             Sub Officer G. Whitelaw
Certificate of Commendation:             Leading Fireman D. Gray
                                                                Fireman J. Sloan
                                                                Fireman K. Porteous
                                                                Fireman H. Paterson
                                                                Fireman J. McCracken
                                                                Fireman J. Fitzpatrick
                                                                Fireman J. Finnie 

<DRAWING> Newmilns Fire Station 1953 – 1990

 

 

HATS OFF!... to new fire station

The brand new fire station in Newmilns has just been officially opened. And out main picture shows Sub Officer Ian Sloan (fourth right) of the new station with Sub Officer Fred Slaughter (fourth left) from Stewarton along with the Newmilns crew.
Our other photograph shows one of the guests at the opening, KLDC Provost Jim Mills, trying on a fireman’s helmet for size.
The first photo shows the 2 Subs and 9 firemen.
(The Kilmarnock Standard, March 15, 1991. Page 13.)

 

 

 

If you know of any mistakes in this or have any additional information please let me know.

 

MAIN INDEX                         1975 INDEX                         STRATHCLYDE INDEX