2 Pump Retained. CLOSED



? to ?                                        Kirkgatehead                                        Photo

? to 1980                                  Low Green, IRVINE.                            Photo

Replaced in 1980 by D05 Dreghorn



1939                        Firemaster Malcolm S Hume

1959                        Sub Officer W. Hall

1962                        Station Officer G. D. Fleck (Awarded Queen's Silver Jubilee Medal in 1977, he was retired by then)




  First Second
  LAG297F DCS652C
  GSD401N LAG297F


DCS652C Bedford TK/Dennis Miles WrL
LAG297F Bedford TK/Dennis Miles WrL
GSD401N Dodge K850/HCB/Angus WrL


? Irvine Fire Brigade ?
1941 to 1948 National Fire Service
1948 to 1975 South Western Area Fire Brigade
1975 to 1980 Strathclyde Fire Brigade




The South Western Fire Area Administration Scheme Order, 1948






2 Self Propelled Pumps

1 Section Leader


1 Large Trailer Pump

2 Leading Firemen

  1 Light Trailer Pump 17 Firemen
  1 Towing Vehicle  


The South Western Fire Area Administration Scheme Order, 1957






3 Pump Appliances

1 Station Officer



1 Sub Officer

2 Leading Firemen

    16 Firemen






Page 71          In 1796 the Tollbooth (in the High Street near Bank Street) downstairs premises were altered, the three shops and a 'laigh chamber' provided storage for the fire engine, an Ordinary Council Room, and an office for the town clerk.
Page 75         There was a keeper for the fire engine
Page 95         When Burn's heckling shop was burned down in 1781, there is no mention of a fire engine. But one was acquired soon afterwards.
Page 124 An attempt was made (1836) to get local insurance companies to contribute to the upkeep of the fire engines. There were three hand carts, which were fitted with shafts for horses to pull (1852). A new fire station (1860) was provided for them at the old school in Kirkgatehead.
Page 149 The Police Commissioners provided street hydrants for the fire engine (1882)
Page 151 Yet for this growing town the Police Commissioners regarded this old fire engine as sufficient, renewing hoses and requiring quarterly exercises by the volunteer brigade. How inadequate was proved when the town's mill went on fire in 1899. The water mains did not run this far, the hoses could not be extended, and buckets of water could not save the building.
Page 180 Irvine Town Council met on Tuesday, 4th August, 1914 and among the items : three sixty foot lengths of hose were ordered for the fire brigade.
Page 188 The local fire brigade was disbanded in 1922 and its appliances disposed of. The Burgh came to rely on the services of Ayrshire Dockyard Company and other brigades from Kilmarnock and Ayr.
Page 200 Static water tanks were set up for the National Fire Service (as it was designated in 1941), street air raid shelters were constructed, stirrup pumps issued and firewatching rotas in all premises arranged by a Fire Guard Staff Officer.
Page 204 The creation of a National Fire Service on a peacetime basis meant Irvine's loss in 1948 of a full time unit; part time firemen at the Low Green station operated the fire engine which the town council had purchased in 1940, and which was not replaced until 1966.
Page 230 A new fire station at Pennyburn (1970) was joined by another at South Newmoor (1980).
From The History of Irvine by John Strawhorn 1985.



Mr Malcolm S Hume of Paisley Fire Brigade, has been appointed by Irvine Town Council as burgh firemaster. The new firemaster has been a member of the Paisley Fire Brigade since 1931, and is a graduate of the Institute of Fire Engineers. Mr Hume also holds various ambulance certificates and diplomas, and is a fully qualified instructor of auxiliary firemen.
(The Greenock Telegraph and Clyde Shipping Gazette, Tuesday, October 3, 1939. Page 1.)



If you know of any mistakes in this or have any additional information please let me know.


MAIN INDEX                         1975 INDEX                         STRATHCLYDE INDEX