R22 TROON

2 Pump Retained.

Stations

1952 Back Templehill
30/10/1981 106 Portland Street, TROON, KA10 6QN                   Photo

Officers in Charge

  Sub Officer Davie Campbell
1959 to 31/3/1988 Station Officer Morton Cunningham B.E.M.
1988 to 1989 Station Officer John Bargh
1989 to 2005 Station Officer Andrew Cunningham  *
2005 to Sept 2012 Watch Commander (B) Andrew Cunningham (Rank to Role Stn O became a WC (B) )
October 2011 Temp Watch Commander John Moffat
5/9/2012 to Watch Commander (B) John Moffat (still there March 2016)

* Son of Morton Cunningham

Appliances

1933 Barrow with ladder etc.

 

  First Second
  ESD758 GLE944
1976 TSD403N RSD224
1980 TSD403N DCS652C
1983 USD449Y UYS242R
1990 A820XSJ USD449Y
1993 K661OSU USD449Y
1996 K373MYS J164GUS
2007 S265TSU K373MYS
2010 Oct 12 S265TSU N832JSU
2012 March SG02UKH S265TSU
2016 July SF59CYO SG02UKH

March 2012 S265TSU runs as a WrL.

GLE944 Austin K4/Leyland-Gwynne/HO Wakefield MP
ESD758 Commer QX/Miles WrT
RSD224 Dennis F25/Dennis WrT
DCS652C Bedford TK/Dennis M WrT
TSD403N Bedford TKEL/Jag 4.2/HCB Angus WrT
UYS242R Dodge K1113/Fulton & Wylie WrL
USD449Y Bedford KD/Fulton & Wylie Fire Witch WrL
A802XSJ Bedford KG/Fulton & Wylie Fire Warrior WrL
K661OSU Volvo FL6-18/Emergency One WrL
J164GUS Scania G93M-210/Emergency One WrL
K373MYS Scania G93M-210/Emergency One WrL
N832JSU Scania 93M-220/Emergency One RPL (retro fit)
S265TSU Scania 94D-220/Emergency One RPL upgraded with equipment Oct 2010, was WrL till then.
SG02UKH Scania 94D-260/Emergency One RPL
SF59CYO Scania P270/Polybilt/JDC RPL

 

Notes

Used to be Station D30 until D29 Irvine was closed

 

 

The South Western Fire Area Administration Scheme Order, 1948

 

 

Equipment

Retained

 

1 Large Trailer Pump

1 Leading Fireman

 

1 Light Trailer Pump

9 Firemen

 

1 Towing Vehicle

 

 

The South Western Fire Area Administration Scheme Order, 1957

 

 

Equipment

Retained

 

2 Pump Appliances

1 Sub Officer

 

 

1 Leading Fireman

 

 

8 Firemen

 

Establishment 2000

 

 

Equipment

Retained

 

2 Water Tender Ladders

1 Station Officer

 

 

1 Sub Officer

 

 

2 Leading Firefighters

    16 Firefighters

 

 

 

Troon was Station D30 at the start of Strathclyde Fire Brigade and was changed to D29 in ??????. D29 was Irvine at the start of Strathclyde Fire Brigade in 1975 until ?????? when it was closed being replaced with the wholetime and retained station at Dreghorn (D05).
In 1957 Troon was a 1 pump station and by 1967 it was a 2 pump station.
Before the war? a trailer was kept in a local garage and when the siren at the Police Station went off this was taken by any available vehicle to the Police Station, where the firemen reported to and then they went to the fire with the trailer. During the war their were 3 AFS units, the 3 trailer pumps were kept in the Fire Station, when required these were towed by a coal lorry, a builder's lorry and a Council lorry
(Morton Cunningham 1998)

???? to 1941 Troon Fire Brigade
1941 to 1948 National Fire Service
1948 to 1975 South Western Area Fire Brigade
1975 to 2005 Strathclyde Fire Brigade
2005 Strathclyde Fire & Rescue (Name change only.)

 

A FRESH APPROACH TO PROTECTION 

<PHOTO> Some of the distinguished guests at Friday’s ceremony. Three policemen, four councillors and Firemaster Knowlton, Sub Officer Cunningham, Deputy Firemaster Harper.
<PHOTO> These three youngsters took advantage of Troon Fire Station’s Open Day on Saturday, by playing at being firemen with “real” equipment. They were even allowed to climb inside one of the engines. From left, the children are – five year old Fiona Brind; eight year old George Duncan and eight year old Stephen Seaward.
Top Officials from Strathclyde’s Police and Fire authorities arrived in Troon last Friday for the grand opening of the new joint Police and Fire Station.
The new building which cost in the region of £320,000 represents a fresh approach to the “protective services.” It is the first complex of its kind in Strathclyde.
Built in Portland Street, the two station are essentially separate units linked by an open roadway with the fire brigade training area taking up the lion’s share of the space between them.
Guest of honour at the opening was Councillor Charles Gray, depute leader of Strathclyde Regional Council, who unveiled a commemorative plaque in the fire station section of the complex.
Also present were Central Ayrshire MP David Lambie, Strathclyde’s Chief Constable Patrick Hamill and Area Firemaster Richard Knowlton.

ESSENTIAL

After introduction by the chairman of Strathclyde Regional Council’s Police and Fire Committee, Councillor James Jennings, Councillor Gray told the audience that he was always pleased to mention the work of the Police and the Fire Brigade.
“So many people take these kinds of services for granted. It is right that they should be gently chided on that. These services are absolutely essential to the lifeblood and wellbeing of the community.” He added that it gave him great pleasure to bring together these two services in such a “worthy” place as Troon.”
Mr Hamill then said “It is the coming together of two services that have been very close in terms of operational commitment.” He also paid tribute to the support of the regional council in having such accommodation built, and the architects for the design of the units. “I think they blend in very well with the serenity of Troon,” said the Chief Constable.
Councillor Gray received a clock from the new tenants, then before embarking on a tour of the building the Rev J Noel Woods gave a blessing.
On Saturday the complex was open to the public and the people responded well with large crowds turning up to see the new facilities.

How times have changed

As far as the Fire Brigade history file is concerned, Troon's safety lay in the hands of ten men, a two wheeled wooden barrow, a hose, standpipe and small ladder prior to 1934. A siren located at the gas works gave the warning to the crew.
On the outbreak of the second world war a building in Back Templehill was requisitioned as a fire station. Three pumps were towed by a local contractor's lorry when needed.
Troon Fire Brigade - a retained crew - became part of Strathclyde Fire Brigade in 1975.
The new station is manned by a Station Officer, two Sub Officers, two Leading Firemen and fifteen Firemen. They are summoned by radio "alerters". Troon and outlying districts are covered.
Accommodation for firemen includes an appliance room, a recreation/lecture room, a station office, muster bay area, breathing apparatus room, hose store, compressor/drying room, toilet/shower facilities along with kitchen and self catering facilities.
(The Troon and Prestwick Times 6th November 1981, Page 10).

 

£10,000 FIRE DAMAGE AT MARR COLLEGE

Damage estimated at £10,000 was caused by a blaze at Marr College on Sunday evening.
And Police are treating the outbreak, which gutted two temporary classrooms, as a case of wilful fire raising.
The blaze was spotted in the portable classrooms outside the main building about 6-30 p.m. By that time they were well alight.
Two tenders from Troon Retained Fire Brigade attended the incident and battled the flames for nearly three hours.
(The Troon and Prestwick Times 13th November 1981, Page 1).

 

 

 

If you know of any mistakes in this or have any additional information please let me know.

 

MAIN INDEX                         1975 INDEX                         STRATHCLYDE INDEX