1 Aerial Rescue Pump, 1 Pump, 1 Major Incident Unit, Wholetime.
1886 to 1937ish Engine stationed at Police Station
? to 1960 Water Street, COATBRIDGE. (Ground purchased May 1937)
29/4/1960 Main Street, COATBRIDGE. ML5 3RS Photo
|? to 1902||Firemaster James Morrison|
|1902 to 1906||Firemaster John M'Lean|
|1920s||Firemaster Hugh Thom|
|1939 to 1941||Firemaster A. H. Nisbet|
Station Officer John Donnachie
|1939||Self Propelled Heavy Pump and Light Trailer Pump|
Austin K2/Home Office
FoT (Ex ATV)
|1960?||VD3307||Leyland TLM/Metz 100'||TLP|
The A.F.S had
Green Goddess NYR109 Bedford SHZ/Home Office
and Bikini Unit RYX79 Commer GS 4x4/Mann Eggerton TWU
based at Coatbridge.
|First||Second||Third||Aerial||FoT||Major Incident Unit||Prime Mover|
|2010 August 25||SF08AFE||SF10GVW|
|FVA51D||Dennis F36/Dennis||DP ran as WrE|
|FVA52D||Dennis F36/Dennis||DP ran as WrT|
|JVD562E||Bedford J2/Hawson/Lanarkshire FB||FoT|
|MVA133F||ERF 84RS/Fulton & Wylie/Simon 85'||HP|
|E695YNS||Scania G92M/Saxon/Simon SS263||HP|
|G540PGE||Scania G93M-210/Fulton and Wylie||WrL|
|M904DDS||Scania G93M-220/Emergency One||WrL|
|M905DDS||Scania G93M-220/Emergency One||WrL|
|SG02XLW||Scania 94D-260/Emergency One||RPL|
|SF08AFE||Scania P310 CP14 6x2 RS/JDC/Vema 282ARP MKIII||ARP|
|SF19ODM||Scania P280/Emergency One||RP|
|SY70AZU||Scania P410 6x4/Emergency One||PM|
The Scania registration No. G540PGE was received at E04 as a promise for the highest station funds collected during the FSNBF Golden Jubilee in 1991. This appliance was also used round Britain during these celebrations and was manned by full time volunteers from E06 Lanark.
12/8/2008 SG02XLW (RPL) and E695YNS (HP) were replaced by SF08AFE an Aerial Rescue Pump.
2018 The Major Incident Unit is equipped for Mass Decontamination.
|1886 to 1941||Coatbridge Fire Brigade|
|1941 to 1948||National Fire Service|
|1948 to 1975||Lanarkshire Fire Brigade|
|1975 to 2005||Strathclyde Fire Brigade|
|2005 to 2013||Strathclyde Fire & Rescue (Name change only.)|
|1/4/2013||Scottish Fire and Rescue Service|
MVA911F Coatbridge and Ex Lanark
The Lanarkshire Fire Area Administration Scheme Order, 1948
Equipment Wholetime Volunteer
1 Pump Escape 1 Company
Officer 10 Firemen
1 Self propelled Pump 2 Section Leaders
1 Water Tender 4 Leading Firemen
1 Large Trailer Pump 24 Firemen and Watchroom Attendants
1 Salvage Tender
2 Water Tender
Ladders 4 Station Officers
1 Hydraulic Platform 4 Sub Officers
12 Leading Firefighters
The Wholetime establishment are split over four watches (Red, Blue, Green and White) 1 Station Officer, 1 Sub Officers, 3 Leading Firefighters and 12 Firefighters working 2 days, 2 nights and 4 days off. Water Tenders are normally manned 5 and 4.
When the new call signs were being implemented in the WEST SDA over a 7 week period beginning 31/8/2020 doing 1 LSO Area per week, Coatbridge was changed from N03 to D03.
FIREMEN DEMAND NEW STATION
Trades Council Support
Coatbridge Trades Council, after
considering last night a request by local firemen for their support in the
firemen's efforts to get a new station, decided to send a deputation to inspect
the present premises, and to write to the Secretary of State for Scotland
demanding that a new station be built immediately. They are also to ask Mrs Jean
Mann, the local MP, and the Scottish Trades Union Congress for their support.
Mr Enoch Humpries, Scottish district chairman of the Fire Brigade's Union, told the trades council last night: - "In raising this matter of deplorable conditions, the Coatbridge Fire Station is undoubtably the worst in Lanarkshire. Before the war there were 20 full time paid firemen in the whole of the county. Today there are 150, but the only proper fire station is at Motherwell."
He said that at Coatbridge there were 30 firemen divided into two shifts, the dayshift working 10 hours a day, while the night shift did 14 hours. At the weekend, to enable a changeover, one of the shifts worked a straight 25 hour shift.
It was alleged at the meeting that Coatbridge firemen had the highest sickness rate in the whole of Lanarkshire Fire Brigade, the reason given being dampness at the station.
(The Glasgow Herald, 5th February, 1954.Page 9.)
COUNCILLOR CHARLES THOM OPENS NEW £70,000 FIRE STATION
“First class H. Q., machines, and equipment now available”
The Monklands – and indeed, the northern area of
Lanarkshire – now has a Fire Station which is second to none. At a ceremony on
Friday evening of last week, Councillor Charles W. V. Thom, member of the
Lanarkshire Joint Fire Council, officially opened the new Station, estimated to
have cost in the region of £70,000, situated at Coatdyke. In handing over the
new building to the charge of Station Officer John Donnachie, Councillor Thom,
remarking on the importance of the occasion, stated: “We know that in this very
extensive section of the County, which provides cover for Airdrie, Coatbridge,
and the surrounding areas, much fire fighting equipment is necessary. We are,
however, now very fortunate in that we can boast to having first class machines
and equipment available.”
Present to witness the official opening were many prominent County officials. Among the guests were the County Firemaster, Mr. Alexander Nisbet; Mr Edward Daly, the County Convener; Chief Constable Charles A. McIntosh, Coatbridge; Chief Constable, Robert M. Clark, Airdrie; Provost J Watson, Rutherglen; Provost J. Fox, Motherwell; Mr. James Aiton, J.P.; Lieutenant-Colonel Thomas Smith, architect; Mr I Paterson, the County Clerk; Councillor William McLaughlin, vice-chairman of the Lanarkshire Fire Brigade Joint Committee; Mr. E. U. Elliot Binns, representing the Scottish Home Department; Police Judge James Walker, Airdrie, and many other councillors and officials from Coatbridge, Airdrie and the rest of the County.
In the opening address Councillor Thom warmly welcomed all those who were present on what he described as “this special occasion.”
Said the Coatbridge Councillor: - “Since the inception of the Lanarkshire Area Fire Brigade in 1948, great change has taken place in the Fire Service throughout the area.”
“We are aware that in this very extensive section of the area, which provides cover for Coatbridge, Airdrie and a considerable part of the County on the fringe of both these towns, much fire fighting equipment is necessary. We are, however, now very fortunate in that we can boast of having such first class machines and equipment available.
“We also know that in our Station, these machines are manned – and the equipment used – by a very fine body of capable and enthusiastic firemen, under the local control of Station Officer Donnachie, a very fine officer indeed.”
Councillor Thom made reference
to the Section’s previous headquarters: – the Water Street buildings at
Coatbridge. Said the Councillor – “We have had to make do with the old derelict
buildings in Water Street. That could be called a fire station in name only. It
should be said however, that our men did their best to make the place as
habitable and comfortable as possible… And they certainly gave us fine service
“Tonight however, we are to open this, our new Station. This beautiful building is a modern fire station in every way, fully equipped with all the necessary modern devices that are available and fitted to meet the needs of our personnel.
“It is only right that men who are called upon to do a job of work such as firemen – where the work is arduous, cold, miserable, dirty and dangerous – should have proper facilities awaiting them in the Station when they return from a fire.
“That has now been attended to. Here, then, after many years of patiently waiting we now have the perfect set up…good personnel, first class machines, and equipment and a real Station.”
Councillor Thom then referred to the architecture of the building. He described it as being a “picture of beautifully balanced design, with clear and concise lines, of solid and sound construction, yet giving no sign of burdensome weight.”
The Councillor went on to pay
tribute to those who had designed, planned and built the Station. “All of us
locally are not only impressed by the Station as such,” he said, “but we are also
greatly taken with the siting and layout. When we get our proposed drying tower
and drill yard, then indeed we will have something of which to be proud and
which we will be able to truly boast about.”
The speaker went on to publicly thank his colleagues on Lanarkshire’s Joint Fire Council, the Firemaster, the County Clerk and all those other officials who had supported him in his endeavours to have the Station sited in the Coatbridge area.
Remarked Councillor Thom:- “It is an old saying ‘seeing is believing’ and now that the ratepayers in our district can see something really tangible as an answer to the queries regarding what happens to the money they are requisitioned for, I feel sure that they will pay up future requests with greater grace.”
In concluding his remarks,
Councillor Thom heartily congratulated the local firemen on the fine turnout
they had provided. He said: - “I know that when I hand over this Station to
Station Officer Donnachie and his men, they will tend it with care, pride and
pleasure… and will improve on what we are now giving them. I wish Station
Officer Donnachie and his men every happiness and good luck in this, their new
Station Officer Donachie accepted the new building on behalf of the Section.
Following the opening formalities, the guests present were conducted around the attractive new premises, following which they adjoined to the large hall in the building where dinner was served.
Those who spoke after dinner were Councillor James Aiton, J. P., who presided as chairman, Mr. Elliot Binns, Police Judge Charles Thom, Lieutenant Colonel Smith, and County Councillor Wm. McLaughlan, who proposed a comprehensive vote of thanks at the end of the day’s proceedings.
<PHOTO> The attractively designed Fire Station is centrally situated midway between both Airdrie and Coatbridge at its Coatdyke site.
<PHOTO> Councillor Thom, as a Coatbridge representative on the Lanarkshire Fire Brigade Joint Committee, hands over the building to the charge of Station Officer John Donnachie.
<PHOTO> A fireman’s life is not made up of simply extinguishing fires… there’s a theoretical side to the job. Station Officer Donnachie, in the new lecture room, illustrates a technical equation to some of his men.
<PHOTO> The nerve centre of the Station is undoubtedly the control room where numerous calls are answered every week.
<PHOTO> After a busy day’s work there’s nothing quite like a period of relaxation in the Station’s tastefully decorated rest room.
(The Airdrie and Coatbridge Advertiser. Saturday, May 7, 1960. Page 7.)
COATBRIDGE FIRE BRIGADE
January 1886 — Decided to form a
fire brigade and purchase fire engine and other appurtences from Shand Mason
May 1886 — Installed fire plugs. Firemen to called out by siren. Fire Engine to be stationed at Police office. Horse drawn fire engine to be drawn by horses hired from James Munro.
See regulations. — 1 Captain, 1 Lieutenant, 10 Firemen.
Expenses for first year ending March 1887 — £622.15.11.
December 1893 — Wages increased from £2 to £3 per annum hourly rate from 2/- per hour to 3/-.
January 1895 — Fm. to be paid 4/- per hour for calls outwith burgh.
February 1897 — Proposed leasing houses for fm. near Police Station
January 1902 — James Morrison retired as Firemaster, John M’Lean promoted to Firemaster.
May 1905 — Bells to be fitted to firemen’s houses operated by Police.
August 1905 — Police Instructed by council to stop steam lorry drivers stealing water from fire plugs
May 1906 — Firemaster M’Lean asked to resign due to alleged irregularities at a fire in a stable at Stewart Lane.
June 1906 — Firemen moving house to pay for reinstalling fire bell.
September 1908 — Due to condition of fire engine proposal to buy a horse drawn steamer.
December 1911 — Proposed purchase a motor drive fire engine.
May 1912 — Dennis motor fire engine purchased.
March 1913 — Firemaster made a full-time post. 6 police to be trained as firemen same rate of pay as firemen
July 1916.— Full-time driver £2.5/- per week.
June 1918 — Airdrie burgh to be charged if engine called out to Airdrie. Firemaster 5/-, firemen 4/-, fire engine £5.5/- per hour.
April 1919 — Fire engine for overhaul, police van used in absence.
November 1926 — Council decrees fire engine only to used for fires.
October 1926 — First hydrant plates fitted.
December 1926 — Purchased jumping sheet.
April 1937 — Proposed purchasing property in centre of town for fire station. Started recruiting personnel for A. F. S.
May 1937 — Purchased property corner Water Street and W. Canal Street for £400.
April 1939 — A.F.S. organised
May 1939 — A. Nisbet employed as Firemaster, became first Firemaster of Lanarkshire Fire Brigade In 1948. Awarded G.M. for bravery during London blitz.
June 1939 —1 S.P. heavy pump and 1 Lt trailer pump issued by Government for A.F.S.
November 1939 — Brigade goes full time.
1941 — Amalgamated into N.F.S.
1948 — Returned to local authority as part of Lanarkshire Fire Brigade.
May 1960 — New Fire Station opened at Coatdyke, cost of £70,000.
1975 — Part of ‘E’ division Strathclyde Fire Brigade.
At 2000 Establishment 2 WrL 1 H.P. 4 Stn O., 4 Sub O., 12 L/Ff., 48 Firefighters.
1886 According to the minutes, the siren for Coatbridge brigade was steam operated, incidently when the first type of bells to be fitted to the houses were proposed, they were to be operated by opening a water valve which in turn operated a generator to supply power to the bells, this was not accepted and mains electricity was used.
Above information retrieved from minutes of Coatbridge Burgh Fire and Lighting Committee by Ex. Stn.O. Bob Mudie, Lanarkshire Fire Brigade.
COATBRIDGE BURGH 1886
1.—When an alarm of fire is given
the Engine is to be immediately despatched to the spot, taking care that none of
the apparatus is omitted.
2.—The Captain, on arriving at the fire, must use every effort to supply the Engine with water, taking care to place the Engine with sufficient space on all sides to work it effectually, and as little in the way of persons carrying out furniture as possible. He must also examine the premises on fire while the men are fixing the hose, that he may be enabled to direct the water with the best effect.
3.—The Engine must be at all times in good order, and the Captain must report to the Fire and Lighting Committee when any part of the apparatus requires repair.
1.—When an alarm of fire is given
the whole company of Firemen shall assemble as speedily as possible at the
Engine-house, and assist in getting everything ready for service. Each Fireman
must be at the Engine-house within a quarter of an hour after the alarm of fire
is given, between the hours of seven at night and six in the morning, and
between six in the morning and seven at night within one hour, or the pay for
turning out shall be forfeited. The Captain may do away with the forfeiture on a
satisfactory reason being given,
2. —Any man destroying his equipments, or wearing them when off duty, shall be punished with a fine, or dismissal, as the Captain may determine. Careless conduct, irregular attendance, or insubordination, shall be punished as before mentioned.
3.—The Fireman who arrives first at the Engine-house, properly equipped, will receive 3s. in addition to his pay for turning out. No pay shall be allowed for a false alarm, unless the same is given by an officer of police.
4.—The Firemen must be careful to take no directions from any person, but refer them to their Captain; they are also particularly directed not to accept of spirituous liquors from any individual but from the Captain, who will see them properly supplied with refreshments. Every appearance of intoxication will be marked, and any man found in that state shall not only forfeit his allowance for the turn out and duty performed, but shall be dismissed from the service.
5.—All concerned are strictly enjoined not to lose temper, and on no occasion whatever to give offence to the inhabitants by uncivil language or otherwise. Every man who may be dissmissed from the establishment, or who may resign his situation, shall, before he leaves the service, deliver up all articles of dress that were supplied to him.
Regulations to be observed at Fires beyond the
Bounds of Police.
The Engine, with Captain and the first six men who may arrive, shall in all cases proceed the fire.
Captain, £12; Lieutenant, £6; Firemen, £2 per annum; allowance for turns-out, 2s, and 1s per hour after first hour; 2s for each drill between the hours of four and six in the morning, or at any such time as the Watching and Lighting Committee may determine. The Brigade shall drill once every two months.
Regulations to be attended to in cases of Fire.
1. —GENERAL REGULATIONS.
1.—The words Fire-Engine House, in
large painted or raised letters, shall be placed on one or more prominent parts
of the Engine-House.
2.—The Captain and Firemen must reside as near to the Engine-House as possible.
3.—A list of the names of Captain and Firemen belonging to the Fire-Engine Establishment shall be hung in a conspicuous place of the Police Office.
4.—As it may be necessary to break open the doors of houses and shops to prevent fire from spreading, it is recommended that those in possession of premises in the neighbourhood shall not go away after the fire has been discovered without leaving their keys, else the doors of their premises will be broken open if required.
5.—All possessors of shops, &c., are particularly requested to have the place of residence painted upon their shop doors, that notice may be sent to them when necessary.
2.—REGULATIONS FOR THE POLICE.
1.—Whenever a watchman discovers
fire, he must instantly call the neighbouring watchman to his assistance, and
adopt the readiest means to inform the proprietors or tenants of what has
occurred. He shall also send notice to the Office. The watchman who is
despatched to give these intimations, when exhausted by running shall send
forward the first watchman whom he meets; and, lest the second messenger fail to
communicate the information correctly, the former must always follow, him to the
place of destination.
2.—When a notice of fire is received at the office, the officer on duty shall instantly give notice to the Captain of the Fire Brigade, and to the Superintendent of Police; and, should the fire be serious, he shall also send notice to the nearest Bailie, the Convener of the Fire and Lighting Committee, and manager of the Gas Company.
3.—If any watchman suspect the existence of fire, he shall immediately. summon his neighbour watchman, and station him as near as possible, to the premises, to be in readiness to give the alarm should it break out; this being done, the said watchman shall proceed to the Police Office and report the circumstances to the officer on duty; the latter shall instantly call out the Captain and one of the firemen to examine the premises; the watchman must accompany them to the spot, in order that he may be ready to call out the Engine if it be found necessary.
4.—Any watchman receiving orders to turn out the firemen, shall immediately give notice to his neighbour watchman, and return to his station for the purpose of turning out any firemen that may reside in it.
5.—When a fire occurs, the superior officer on duty at the office shall, without delay, send a party of men under the command of an officer to the spot, and shall repair there himself as soon after as possible.
6.—The above party, on arriving at the fire, shall clear off the crowd, and keep open space and passages for the firemen and others employed.
7.—The officer commanding this party shall attend to no instructions but those he shall receive from the Senior Magistrate who may be on the spot; or should there be no Magistrate on the spot, then from the Convener or other member of the Fire and Lighting Committee.
8.—In cases of protracted fire the Superintendent shall select a sufficient number of able-bodied men to relieve those employed at the engine, who shall be changed every ten minutes, and receive such refreshments as he shall think necessary, He shall also take down their names, or give them a ticket to be produced to the Captain of the Fire Brigade before being paid for their services.
9.—It shall be the duty of the Superintendent of Police to see that the above instructions and the list containing the names and residences of the Firemen, are placed in the hands of each Constable, in order that he may be able to turn them out when required.
10.—The Superintendent of Police or Officer on duty at any fire shall fix a place where all goods removed for protection shall be deposited, and shall station a proper watch there till it is found convenient to remove them.
11.—One or more Policemen shall attend upon the Chief Magistrate and Members of Committee. One Policeman shall constantly attend the Captain of the Fire Brigade.
12.—The Superintendent of Police shall always have a list of extra Policemen hung up in the Police Office, who, when fire occurs, may be called out if necessary for the purpose of attending there, and rendering assistance where it may be required.
Approved of by the Watching and
GEORGE NEILSON, Convener.
COATBRIDGE FIRE STATION
4th OCTOBER 2005
ORDER OF PROCEEDINGS
PLATFORM PARTY ASSEMBLES
Group Manager David Campbell
Representing Commander — North Lanarkshire
CHIEF OFFICER’S OPENING REMARKS
Chief Officer B.P. Sweeney Q.F.S.M. D. Univ. MA
Councillor J. Lowe
Convener of the Board of Strathclyde Fire & Rescue
RE-DEDICATION OF STATION
Reverend C. Anderson
Father J. Thomson
CHIEF OFFICER’S CLOSING REMARKS
Chief Officer B.P. Sweeney QFSM, D. Univ. MA
COATBRIDGE FIRE STATION
The station was originally opened by
Councillor Charles W. D. Thom Esq. J.P. Lanarkshire Fire Brigade Joint Committee
on 29 April 1960.
The station area covers not only Coatbridge itself but includes Airdrie, Plains, Caldercruix, Chapelhall and several other districts in a total area of over 107 square Kilometres. The total population is approximately 95000 with over 40000 households.
The refurbishment itself took over ten months to complete and cost approximately £1.179m. Although the whole station was modernised to a very high standard, many of the original features were retained.
The contractors, Pollockshaws Builders Ltd. were tasked with not only improving the internal layout of the station but also with bringing it into line with the Disability Discrimination Act, this we can report was achieved.
The Coatbridge refurbishment, coupled with a similar modernisation programme at Lanark demonstrates once again the commitment of the Fire Board to responding to the needs of the Fire and Rescue Service.
Designed by Strathclyde Fire & Rescue Graphics Section
If you know of any mistakes in this or have any additional information please let me know.
MAIN INDEX 1975 INDEX STRATHCLYDE INDEX SFRS WEST SDA STATIONS