P03 EAST KILBRIDE
2 Pumps Wholetime.
1901 to 1937?
Police Station (still there 1922)
NFS Main Street East Kilbride
30/1/1961 Cornwall Street East Kilbride. G47 1AD. Photo
1901 to ? Mr McBane
1948 to 1975 Lanarkshire Firemasters
1975 to Strathclyde Firemasters
1901 Wheelbarrow (still there 1922)
|First||Second||Line Rescue Unit|
|2010 Aug 11||SF54NZJ||SF10EJA|
|GGB124T||Dodge K1613/Fulton & Wylie/HCB Angus||WrL|
|GGB125T||Dodge K1613/Fulton & Wylie/HCB Angus||WrL|
|LGD630Y||Bedford KG/Fulton & Wylie Fire Warrior||WrL|
|LGD634Y||Bedford KG/Fulton & Wylie Fire Warrior||WrL|
|J171GUS||Scania G93M-210/Emergency One||WrL|
|J172GUS||Scania G93M-210/Emergency One||WrL|
|N835JSU||Scania G93M-220/Emergency One||RPL|
|P939SGE||Scania G93M-220/Emergency One||WrL|
|P943SGE||Scania G93M-220/Emergency One||WrL|
|SG02XLV||Scania 94D-260/Emergency One||RPL|
|1901 to 1922?||Volunteer Fire Brigade|
|1961 to 1975||Lanarkshire Fire Brigade|
|1975 to 2005||Strathclyde Fire Brigade|
|2005 to 2013||Strathclyde Fire & Rescue (Name change only.)|
|1/4/2013||Scottish Fire and Rescue Service|
From 1922 fire cover was provided by Rutherglen Fire Brigade (it is not know if there was still a Volunteer Fire Brigade in East Kilbride) until 1937 when the AFS was formed. During the time of the NFS there was a station in Main Street East Kilbride.
First station 1961 1 Pump B reg. Up to 2 Pumps 1967.??
MVA912F ex Lanark. SUD381M East Kilbride and Bellshill.
NOTES ON EAST KILBRIDE FIRE BRIGADE
Little is known, prior to 1900, of
how the residents of the village tackled the problem of extinguishing fires.
There was a burn running through the village and probably the early method of
fire fighting was by volunteers passing buckets from hand to hand to the fire.
What information is to hand was supplied verbally from Mr. H. Begg of East Kilbride who, in turn, gained much of his knowledge from his father, who was the village Blacksmith.
The first major fire occurred in the village during the year 1900 at Baird’s Creamery. This was a two storey building with a ramp from the roadway to the first storey where there were a number of horses. Also at first floor level there was a bothy where two employees lived and slept.
Fire broke out in the early hours of the morning and it was some time before the alarm was raised. Mr. Begg’s father, with a companion, hurried to the Creamery and found that the horses were still within the building. Both men climbed the ramp and broke down the door. The smoke and heat were intense but they commenced to release the horses from their stalls and led them down the ramp. Unfortunately one of the horses on going down the ramp decided to turn and in doing so found that it was jammed. The two men made every effort to release the horse but to no avail and were fortunate to escape themselves before the premises became a raging furnace. Fifteen horses were still trapped in the flames and nothing humanly possible could be done to save them.
Meanwhile the men sleeping in the bothy awoke and managed to escape by sliding down a lean-to roof and dropping to the ground.
No attempt was made to extinguish the conflagration and the villagers were forced to stand and watch the building disintegrating before their eyes.
The Parish Council decided after this fire to form a volunteer Fire Brigade of their own, and as the water mains had been previously laid into the village, it was decided to purchase a Wheel Barrow. The Barrow carried a Standpipe, hose, branches, dividing breeching, small tools, etc. and when delivered was housed in the local Police Station.
The Officer in Charge of the volunteer Brigade was Mr. McBane, plumber; Mr. Strang, slater; the local Policeman and two other members whose names cannot be recalled by Mr. Begg.
The method of calling out the Brigade was to ring the Church Bell. This bell was traditionally sounded at 0800, 1800, and 2300 hours. If the volunteers heard the bell at any other time than mentioned they knew it was being sounded for a fire.
Practice day for training was a Saturday, and the Brigade used a derelict building in St. Brides Street. The locals were want to watch the turnout from the Police Station and follow the men to St. Brides Street to watch them drilling.
During 1907, a major fire occurred at a Carrier’s premises in Montgomery Street. Once again a horse perished in the flames. At one time there was a danger that the fire would affect property along the path of wind direction. The magnificent efforts by the Brigade prevented the flames from spreading although nothing could be saved of the initial building.
The following year saw the first false alarm. The Church Bell was sounded by someone for a fire call. There was at the time a certain suspicion of one of the villagers, however nothing could be proved. The call was to a house known as the “Croft” situated near Hairmyres Hospital. To reach the “fire” one of the volunteers connected the Barrow to his bicycle and with the aid of the men pedalled as fast as he could towards the “Croft”.
After this frantic haul, the maid of the house was found outside at the coal cellar. When asked where was the fire, she jokingly said in the fireplace. It was a little while before the Crew realised there was no fire at all, and had been maliciously called out.
In 1922, the Church Bells rang at 0500 for a fire in the Red Triangle Hall. The fire could not have happened at a worse time, as the water to the village had been cut off.
To make matters even more formidable, the internal linings of the Hall consisted of timber pitch panelling, which offered little resistance to the spread of flames within the building.
When the call was received the men rushed to the Police Station and hauled the Barrow to the scene of the fire. The standpipe was shipped and the water turned on, alas, no water, the main was dry.
Assistance was telephoned to the motor appliance at Rutherglen. The Rutherglen appliance was turned out, but again was faced with the situation of no water in the mains. It was too late to save the Hall and flames by this time were spreading to surrounding property. Frantic efforts by both crews managed to contain the fire to the immediate buildings on either side of the Hall.
Following this fire, it was decided by the Parish Council that in future an agreement would be made with the Town Council of Rutherglen that their appliance would be on call for all fires within the village.
This agreement remained in vogue up until the formation of the Auxilliary Fire Service in 1937.
Some research has been carried out to trace the District Council’s Minutes, only to discover, when they were traced to Blantyre, that the only entries made in the Minutes showed that the volunteer Brigade was still in being. The Minutes do not record the number of calls received by the Brigade from its formation in 1901.
(Typed from an article in File TD1431/46/2 at the Mitchell Library.)
OPENING OF NEW FIRE STATION
A very pleasing ceremony on Monday evening fittingly marked the
culmination of some years of effort and planning, when the East Kilbride fire station in
Cornwall Street, at the Town Centre was formally opened. Local residents who have been
active (in the columns of this paper and elsewhere) in advocating this very necessary
development will be gratified to feel that at last it is an accomplished fact.
Over a hundred guests were in attendance when Councillor William MacLachlan, J.P., Chairman the Fire Brigade Joint Committee for the county, opened the proceedings by unveiling a plaque commemorating the building, and opening of East Kilbride's first fire station. Those present included, besides Councillor MacLachlan and Councillor James Aiton, who acted as Chairman, the County Convener, Mr Edward Daly; the Deputy Lord Lieutenant of the County, Mr D. Pollock Smith, D.L., J.P.; Professor Browning, Chairman of the Development Corporation; Mr I. A. H. More, Mr J. London and Mr W. Thrower, of the Scottish Home Department; Mr Lennox D. Paterson, whose firm were architects for the new building; Mr Ian Lothian, the surveyor; Provost John Fox of Motherwell, Provost J. R. Watson of Rutherglen and Provost A. Russell of Hamilton; Mr A. H. Nisbet, Firemaster of Lanarkshire; Mr R. Bowman, Firemaster of the Western Area and Mr H. Mackay, Firemaster of the South Western Area; members of the Fire Brigade Joint Committee; officers of the Lanarkshire Fire Brigade; representatives of the builders responsible for the new edifice; and others officially connected with the fire service or with the construction of the building. Most of these gentlemen were accompanied by their ladies, and with this mixed gathering a very happy feeling pervaded the evening. It had been hoped that Mrs Judith Hart M.P., would be present, but as Mr Aiton announced, a letter had been received from her expressing regret that her parliamentary duties prevented her attendance.
OUT IN 60 SECONDS
After the plaque had been unveiled time was allotted for an inspection
of the building, members of the local establishment conducting parties of the visitors
over the whole station, and explaining in detail the working of a modern fire station. It
may surprise-and gratify-residents to know that the maximum time officially allowed (even
during the night) to elapse between the receipt of an alarm and the departure of the fire
engine is one minute-but generally this official maximum is greatly improved on, and the
lapse of time may be as little as twenty seconds.
On the conclusion of the inspection the guests repaired to the assembly hall on the top storey of the building, and dinner was served. The efficiency of the service reflected great credit on the caterers.
When the meal was over Mr Miller, Station Officer in charge of the new station, proposed the toast of "The Queen", and this was drunk with acclamation. Mr Aiton then called on the various speakers in turn, and although there were no fewer than six of these, all observed a fitting economy of words, and the old cracks about the boring nature of after dinner speaking for once at least did not apply.
NINTH NEW FIRE STATION
Mr Nisbet, Firemaster for the County, was the first to speak. He
recalled that the East Kilbride station is the ninth new one which the County Council has
opened since they resumed control of the fire service after the war. He would like it to
be known to everyone how much it means to the men of the fire brigade when Committees are
exerting themselves to build suitable and efficient premises for their use. In
Lanarkshire, he said, the Committee is trying, the men are trying, and between them they
are making a good job of it.
In introducing the next speaker, Mr More of the Scottish Home Department, Mr Aiton acknowledged Mr Nisbet's remarks, and mentioned that the tenth new fire station to be opened in the county since the war will be at Shotts.
Mr More began in serious vein, thanking the Committee for their, invitation, and remarking that, as a "new boy" in dealing with fire service matters, it was most useful to him to see this very up todate fire station, which was attractive aesthetically as well as obviously efficient practically. He went on to explain what he meant by calling himself a new boy. Although he has been with the Department for some two years, he has only recently been transferred to the section dealing with the police and fire services. Previously his job was connected with introducing new industry in areas of under employment. One task he had was to get a pulp mill going in the north of Scotland; and when he achieved this object he found himself most unpopular with the inhabitants, who didn't like the smell, and said that the fish in the river were being killed. One thing he liked about the prospect of his new work was that there would be no divided loyalties-everyone was agreed that it a fire started, you put it out.
EAST KILBRIDE FIRST
Mr MacLachlan said that of the three new towns in Scotland, East
Kilbride is the first to open a new fire station. He recalled that when in 1948 control of
the fire service was returned to local authorities, Lanarkshire found itself in possession
mainly of out of date and inconvenient premises but nevertheless the men of the brigade
carried on magnificently. At the same time they took over the Firemaster-but there was
nothing out of date about him. Indeed, the Committee's only difficulty in that quarter had
been in finding the money to meet the more urgent of Mr Nisbet's demands for improvements.
Since 1948 there had been gratifying progress, but among the nine new stations the one at
East Kilbride was probably the best he had seen.
Professor Browning remarked that the Committee had provided a building worthy of the new town. He paid warm tribute to the Rutherglen Fire Brigade, who had up to now rendered efficient service in East Kilbride on the few occasions when the need arose; but as the buildings alone in the town were now valued at about 30 million pounds, and the value of buildings and contents could probably be estimated at about 50 millions, it was fitting that a local fire station should be in operation. He was sure that all the staff would appreciate the brightness and cheerfulness of the new building, and he concluded by wishing all workers in it a happy and pleasant time, with blank all to do.
Mr Lennox Paterson, speaking on behalf of the architects and builders, said that although the fire station was conceived seven years ago, it was actually erected within a period of 15 months, which he considered reflected great credit on the contractors and all concerned. He wished to thank the Firemaster and the members of the committee for their unfailing help and co-operation. As a token of the appreciation of both architects and builders, he asked Mr MacLachlan to accept cuff links and a wristlet watch, Mrs MacLachlan also receiving a suitable gift. He also handed over a combined folding rule and cigarette lighter to Mr Nisbet, remarking that if he ever found himself short of fires, he hoped the cigarette lighter would help solve the difficulty.
Mr D. Pollok Smith, who was Chairman of the Committee when in 1948 the fire service was returned to the county council, briefly expressed the thanks of the guests for the entertainment which had been provided for them. In paying tribute to Mr Nisbet, the Firemaster for the County, he suggested that Mr More had done a risky thing in publicly acknowledging his inexperience in matters relating to the fire service, as he could foresee that Mr Nisbet will soon be in Edinburgh telling him all about it.
On conclusion of the speeches the Assembly Hall was cleared, and dancing proceeded until about 11 o'clock, when the company dispersed after a most successful evening.
The main part of the ground floor of the new building houses the
vehicles. There are two "appliance machines", each standing at all times fully
equipped and ready for instant action. These vehicles carry not only pumps and escape
ladders, but breathing appliance sets, life lines, foam extinguishers for oil and chemical
fires and emergency water supply for use in cases where neither a hose connection to a
hydrant nor "casual water" is available. Each vehicle is equipped with a
searchlight, and with two-way radio for maintaining communication with the station. The
outer and protective clothing of the men on duty is also kept in the vehicle, so that
firemen on a night call actually finish dressing as the machine is racing to the site of
the fire. Pole drops from all parts of the upper floors lead directly into the vehicle
Also on the ground floor are the Station Officer's room and the vitally important Control Room. The latter is manned day and night without break, and it is to this room that alarms of fire, whether received by telephone or by messenger, come. As soon as the relevant details are ascertained the officer on watch presses a button, alarm bells ring in all parts of the building, and the whole machinery goes smoothly into action. Certain large factories have private telephone lines leading straight to the Control Room.
On the first floor of the building are the general office, the locker room, and dormitories for men on night duty. In the absence of alarms, men on such duty are allowed to go to bed from 11 p.m. till 7 a.m. but this means no delay in the event of an alarm. The men sleep partly dressed, and on the ringing of the bells they are into other essential garments and sliding down the pole drop before they are properly awake. The process of dressing is, as already mentioned, completed in the vehicle on the way to the fire.
On the second floor of the building are the assembly hall, the dining room, and the kitchen.
As mentioned more than once in the course of the speeches at the official opening, the design and finish of the building leave nothing to be desired, either from the point of view of efficient operation, or from that of making the long periods of waiting as little irksome as possible to the staff. Luxury has been avoided, but a clean, cheerful and comfortable effect obtained; which no one would grudge the men who, when the occasion calls, are ready to run such risks in the interests of the community.
Readers will be interested to note that an Open Day will be held at the Fire Station on Sunday, 12th February from 10 a.m. to 12 noon and from 2 to 4 p.m. Everyone interested is cordially invited to see over the Station.
(THE EAST KILBRIDE NEWS, Friday 3rd February, 1961. Page 7)
J171 & 172 GUS Scania 93M 210/Emergency one
OFFICERS from Strathclyde Fire Brigade were involved in an unusual
call-out to East Kilbride recently. But it was good news for the Brigade, for East
Kilbride Fire Station was taking delivery of two brand new tenders to replace their ageing
The keys for the Scania water tenders, which cost £66,000 each, were handed aver to Station Officer James McQuiston by Councillor David Sanderson, convener of Strathclyde Regional Council, at a special ceremony in the station.
Among the invited guests were Provost Helen Biggins, Councillor Pat Watters and Councillor William McNah of East Kilbride District Council. Officials from the Fire Brigade included Firemaster John Jameson and Senior Divisional Officer Stewart Mercer.
East Kilbride Fire Station, which
provides fire cover for the whole of the district, was opened in January 1961 with just
one appliance manned by 28 men. A second appliance was allocated in 1967 and the Fire
station is now manned by 56 men, divided into four watches.
The two new fire appliances are replacing two Fire Warriors which were introduced into East Kilbride in 1983 at a cost of £38,000 each.
Officers from the station cover a
wide area of risks including the town centre, industrial risks ranging from computers to
jet engines, and churches, schools and 28,000 private dwellings.
The two new appliances will be well used, for the station attended 1200 incidents in the year from August 1990 to July 1991, ranging from serious chemical incidents to removing rings from fingers.
(From East Kilbride News 1991)
COMMUNITY FIRE STATION
31st January 2011
ORDER OF PROCEEDINGS
PLATFORM PARTY ASSEMBLES
Station Commander Sandy Gillespie
Deputy Assistant Chief Officer Jim Doyle
CHIEF OFFICER’S OPENING REMARKS
Chief Officer Brian Sweeney Q.F.S.M. D. Univ. M.A.
REDEDICATION OF STATION
Father Jim Thomson
UNVEILING OF PLAQUE
Convener Brian Wallace
ART COMPETITION PRIZEGIVING
Vice Convener Joe Lowe
EAST KILBRIDE COMMUNITY FIRE STATION
East Kilbride Fire Station was
opened on 31st of January 1961 by Councillor William MacLaughlin Esq, J.P. Vice
Chairman of Lanarkshire Fire Brigade Joint Committee.
Designed by the Architects Gavin Paterson and Sons, East Kilbride Fire Station was built over a period of 15 months at a cost of approximately £40,000.
The station was built as an addition to the then Lanarkshire Fire Brigade in response to the rapidly developing population as the first of five “New Towns” built in Scotland in the post war years.
East Kilbride Village grew from the original population of around 900 inhabitants in 1930 to the current population of over 90,000 inhabitants.
The town of East Kilbride is now Scotland’s sixth largest and provides a wealth of opportunities for employment, housing and leisure facilities.
The station is currently undergoing a series of developments and upgrades to ensure it remains at the centre of community activity whilst providing the facilities required to meet the new technological and environmental requirements for the community it serves.
|2 Water Tender Ladders||4 Station Officers|
|4 Sub Officers|
|4 Leading Firefighters|
The Establishment are split over four watches (Red, Blue, Green and White) working a 2 days, 2 nights and 4 days off rota.
|2 Rescue Pump Ladders||5 Watch Commanders|
|1 Line Rescue Unit||10 Crew Commanders|
Each Group has 1 Watch Commander, 2 Crew Commanders and 9? Firefighters working 2 days, 2 nights and 4 days off for 8 tours then 2 tours off.
MAIN INDEX 1975 INDEX STRATHCLYDE INDEX