1 Pump Retained.
|???? to 14/9/1989||Caledonian Road, LARKHALL. Photo|
|14/9/1989||Academy Street, LARKHALL. ML9 2BJ Photo|
|1896 to ?||Firemaster W. B. Carberry (In 1927 he was Firemaster of Dumbarton Burgh Fire Brigade)|
|1941||Robert Graham (Section Leader?)|
|1980||Sub Officer Joseph Stead B.E.M. (Awarded Queen's Silver Jubilee Medal in 1977)|
|1983 to 17/5/2001||Sub Officer Walter Stewart|
|12/10/2001 to||Sub Officer Gilbert Rowan (still there October 2017)|
|1989||A816XSJ||Bedford KG/Fulton and Wylie Fire Warrior||WrL|
|1993||K669OSU||Volvo FL6-18/Emergency One||WrL|
|2003||N827JSU||Scania 93M-220/Emergency One||RPL|
|2003 September||N824JSU||Scania 93M-220/Emergency One||RPL|
|2010 9th September||SF53PPU||Scania 94D-260/Saxon||RPL|
|2017 October||SF57JCX||Scania P270/JDC||RP|
|?||Larkhall Fire Brigade?|
|1941 to 1948||National Fire Service|
|1948 to 1975||Lanarkshire Fire Brigade|
|1975 to 2005||Strathclyde Fire Brigade|
|2005 to31/3/2013||Strathclyde Fire and Rescue (Name change only.)|
|1/4/2013 to||Scottish Fire and Rescue Service|
The Lanarkshire Fire Area Administration Scheme Order, 1948
|1 Towing Vehicle||1 Leading Fireman|
|1 Large Trailer Pump||9 Firemen|
The new station in Academy Street was dedicated on 14/9/1989
The Fire Service in Larkhall was first manned by volunteers, but the police took over their duties in 1901 and used the building next to the Police Station to house the Fire Engine. This setup continued until the Second World War when a retained unit was created in Larkhall and part-time firemen answered the call to tackle blazes.
Sub Officer Joseph Stead received the B.E.M. in 1980
County Fire Brigade:- The County Fire Brigade,
stationed at Larkhall, had its first official call last Friday evening to
Lesmahagow. Within three minutes from the time the brigade received intimation
of the fire, they were on the road, and by their promptness were the means of
saving a large part of the valuable plant where the fire originated. Firemaster
Captain Despard was also early on the scene, and rendered valuable assistance.
The supply of water was got from the lade 400 yards distant.
(Hamilton Advertiser? 25/2/1911)
<PHOTO> Front centre Firemaster to
his right Mr. Wilson to his left Mr. Harley with the invited ex-members. (11
people in the photo)
<PHOTO> Present crew of Larkhall with their Officer in Charge W. Stewart.
A few days of total commitment (plus
normal duties) was given by the crew of Larkhall Fire Station when it decided to
have a Dedication Service and a Station Open Day within the same week. The
Service of Dedication was held at the new station in Academy Street, Larkhall on
Thursday 14th September 1989, and was attended by a total of 70 guests.
The guests at the top table were: Mr. W Harley, Chairman of the Police and Fire Committee, Mr. Robert Wilson, Regional Councillor for Larkhall and Stonehouse, Firemaster Halliday, Deputy Firemaster Jameson, Rev. A. Wark of St. Machans Church and D.O. Welsh of ďEĒ Division Headquarters.
The remainder of the guests seated in the appliance room were the present crew and relatives and some past crew members who were specially invited back for the ceremony.
Before taking their seats, the top table party was introduced to the crew by their Officer-in-Charge Sub Officer Walter Stewart. The first part of the evening included the station being dedicated to the Glory of God and asking for his protection to all who will work from it, and was performed by Rev. A. Wark who, being a local minister, knew a number of the retained crew from his congregation.
In their speeches, both the chairman and the Firemaster praised the dedication and commitment the firefighters had shown to the community of Larkhall.
The fact that certain guests were former members from as far back as the 1940ís brought comments from the speakers on how conditions have changed in comparison to the era in which they worked.
The Fire Service in Larkhall was first manned by volunteers, but the police took over their duties in 1901 and used the building next to the police station to house the fire engine.
This set up continued until the Second World War when a retained unit was created in Larkhall and part-time firemen answered the call to tackle blazes.
There have been several stalwarts in the Larkhall Fire Service over the years.
Brothers Joseph and Sam Stead were great servants of the brigade and were delighted to be invited to the official opening of the new station in Larkhall.
Joseph was Sub Officer at Larkhall with 29 years service, while Sam who put in a 26 year stint, was the Leading Fireman.
Today, the Larkhall crew is just as dedicated and experienced. Sub Officer Walter Stewart and Leading Fireman Bert Kirk have more than 50 yearsí service between them.
(Aye Ready, Winter 1989, Issue 8, Page 23)
Strathclyde Fire Brigade
Larkhall Fire Station
<DRAWING> Of new station.
Thursday 14th September
ORDER OF PROCEEDINGS
Firemaster C. B. Halliday, Q.F.S.M., M.I.FireE
Councillor Wm. Harley J.P.
Chairman, Police and Fire Committee
Rev. A. Warke
Since its inception in 1975, the
Strathclyde Regionís Police and Fire Committee has been committed to a
replacement programme of rebuilding both wholetime and retained fire stations
throughout the entire region. Certain stations which were inherited from the
previous constituent brigades were due to be replaced and to date a total of 24
stations have been rebuilt to a very high standard of design and specification
thus allowing us to accommodate our firefighters in a modern working environment
which caters for their needs.
This new station at Larkhall was designed by one of the Regionís own architects; Mr. Graham Campbell, who works for the Central Design Section at Hamilton.
The construction of the building was carried out by Strathclyde Regionís Direct Works and the whole project was finished at a cost of £380,000, therefore it is hoped that the new station will continue the important role of the fire service within the community.
On reflection, both past and present personnel who worked from the old station over the last 88 years have seen and been involved in many major and minor changes that have happened within the structure of the British Fire Service. Dramatic changes such as the formation of the Auxiliary and National Fire Services; then in 1947 reverting back to newly formed Council and large Burgh Brigades and finally to the present regionalisation and indeed some of our present company here tonight can hold claim to being members of the unit during the second world war.
As we know, the very nature of becoming a retained firefighter means taking on a commitment to duty that cannot be taken lightly. Therefore the type of people found working in retained stations tend to have a special vocation and deep sense of duty to their community. Through tradition and family spirit, devotion to duty is somehow passed on from generation to generation and in the case of Larkhall, this is no exception, for reading through its history, names of certain families occur on a regular basis. Names such as Stewart, Stead, Purdie, Lambie, Ballantyne, Kirk. Campbell, Fullerton, Anderson and Ferguson have committed many years to the retained service.
Larkhall, 11th June, 1941
WAR WEAPONS WEEK - 14th. ó 21st. June.
Inaugural processions will be held
on 14th. curt., in connection with this week.
A procession will take place in Larkhall and they desire that contingent from the A.R.P. Service including A.F.S. and Special Constables, along with members of the Army, Home Guard, Red Cross, etc., will take part in this procession.
I should be glad if you would assist by turning out in this procession along with all other Auxiliary Firemen in Larkhall District who see their way to attend. It will be understood that Auxiliary Firemanís regular employment comes first and on no account can travelling or other expenses be incurred by any men in attending the procession.
All the services will assemble in the Public Park, Duke Street, Larkhall, at 2-30 p.m. on Saturday, 14th curt. The procession will leave the park at 3 p.m. and proceed by way of Duke Street, Old Cross, Hamilton Street, Glenview where, at the Memorial there, Sir Henry Keith will take the salute, thence by London Street, New Cross, Raploch Street, Raploch Cross, McNeil Street, Charing Cross, and Muir Street to the starting point.
All Auxiliary Firemen should assemble at the A.F.S. Hut in King Street, Larkhall, at 2-15 p.m. prompt where they will muster and march to the Assembly point at Duke Street Public Park.
Leading Fireman Andrew Ramage will be in charge. He will be assisted by Leading Fireman James Chapman.
Officer in Charge
Leading Fireman J. Chapman,
Document from Larkhall Fire Station 1941
<DRAWING> LARKHALL STATION 1901 - 1989
If you know of any mistakes in this or have any additional information please let me know.
MAIN INDEX 1975 INDEX STRATHCLYDE INDEX