1 Pump Retained
1950 Garages at rear of Abington Hotel.
10/11/1964 Station Road, Abington, ML12 6RZ. Photos
|? to Dec 1983||Sub Officer Drew Somerville|
|?||Sub Officer Rab Brown|
|2001||Sub Officer David Abernethy|
|2015?||Watch Manager Billy Sim?|
|2018||Watch Manager Abernathy?|
|1989||A817XSJ||Bedford KG/Fulton and Wylie Fire Warrior||WrT|
|1994||E141XDS||Scania 82M/Fulton and Wylie||WrL|
|1998?||J172GUS||Scania 93M-210/Emergency One||WrL|
|2005||M335DSU||Volvo FL6-18/Emergency One||WrL|
|2008||SG02UKJ||Scania 94D-260/Emergency One||RPL|
|2017 Nov||SF06GBU||Scania P270/JDC||RPL|
|1941 to 1948||National Fire Service|
|1948 to 1975||Lanarkshire Fire Brigade|
|1975 to 2005||Strathclyde Fire Brigade|
|2005||Strathclyde Fire & Rescue (Name change only.)|
The Lanarkshire Fire Area Administration Scheme Order, 1948
|1 Towing Vehicle||1 Leading Fireman|
|1 Large Trailer Pump||9 Firemen|
No accommodation is owned or rented by the Fire Brigade. A lock up is given free of charge by the Owner of the Abington Hotel which is all that is available to the Brigade.
Since May, 1948, the Unit in Abington has been instituted but as can be expected there is no property available in this small village that can be taken over as a Fire Station. Various sites have been examined and it is hoped to make some progress at an early date.
Long Term Plan
There is nothing in Abington that can be taken over and adapted and the provision of accommodation can only be accomplished by the building of a new Station. It is hoped to find a site and have plans prepared in order that building can take place as early as possible but preferably at the end of 1951.
(From a report on the Accommodation in Lanarkshire Fire Brigade by Firemaster Nisbet, 25/11/1950)
STATION IN HARMONY
This new single bay retained
station, which blends so well with its environment, has been built at Abington,
Lanarkshire, at a cost of £9,000. It provides up to date facilities for the
retained men who cover a large area of southern Lanarkshire, including the A74
main highway to the south.
The station incorporates appliance room, muster and recreation room, watchroom, modern kitchen and shower baths. The DX system is used for callout.
Mr. James Aiton, County Convener of Lanarkshire, presided at the opening ceremony and County Councillor D. C. Mavor, Member of the Lanarkshire Fire Brigade Joint Committee, officially declared the station open. After the opening ceremony guests were entertained to dinner at Hartree Hotel, Biggar, and the speakers included Mr. A. D. Wilson, HM Inspector of Fire Services for Scotland, who said, “the opening was a milestone for the Service in Lanarkshire”
(Fire Magazine, February, 1965. Page 462.)
Station occupied 22/7/1964, Officially Opened 10/11/1964.
If you know of any mistakes in this or have any additional information please let me know.
MAIN INDEX 1975 INDEX STRATHCLYDE INDEX