M01 CLYDEBANK

1 Aerial Rescue Pump, 1 Rescue Pump Ladder and 1 Major Incident Unit Wholetime.

Stations

1887 to 1897 Canal Bridge, Forth and Cart Junction Canal.
? Temporary Fire Station Burgh ground near Hall St
1897 to 1904 Hume Street
1904 Hall Street                                                                                                               Photo
25/5/1962 2 Kilbowie Road, Clydebank, G81 6QT   aka Goldenhill or Parkhall              Photo

 

Firemasters

1887 to 1894 Firemaster Andrew Sinclair
1894 to 1903 Firemaster John Cook
1903 to 1907 Firemaster Wm. Cunningham
1907 to 1911 Firemaster Wm. White
1911 to 1932 Firemaster James Miller
1932 to 1941 Firemaster Robert Buchanan (from Pat Malcolm library)
1941 to NFS Firemaster A Masson

Appliances

1887   Shand Mason Hand Cart  
1897   Horse drawn fire hose tender  
1907   Steam Motor Fire Pump & Petrol Motor Fire Tender  
  SN224 Halley Hose Tender
  SN1262 Merryweather/Albion ? Pump
1927 SN5573? Halley  
  GGN797 Fordson/Barton PE
  GLD936 Fordson/Barton GLD136? PE
  GLT684 Austin K2/Home Office (Ex ATV) ET
  GXN238 Austin K4/Merryweather 60ft/Barton TLP
  CMS507 AEC Regal/Merryweather TL
  DWG977 Bedford SL/Miles DP/PE
  DWG978 Bedford SL/Miles DP/PE
  GMS603 Bedford SLZG/HCB PE
  HWG153 Bedford SLZG/HCB (Gwyne Pump) MP
  UMS197 Bedford TK/Haydon Magirus TL
  UMS198 Bedford TK/Metro-Cammell ET/ST
  VMS673 Bedford TKEL/HCB WrT
  HWG835E Bedford TKEL/HCB Angus WrE
  RMS94G Bedford TK/Fulton and Wylie WrT
  GMS630N Dodge K850/Carmichael WrL

 

  First Second TL RRU ET/FoST MIU
  UMS197 UMS198        
1980 YHS562S YHS558S XGG731S OHS45    
1983 OGD68V OGD79V XGG731S GDS85T    
1989 B635BGA A33ASJ E704WGB E461SSD SGG689W  
1990 G535PGE G536PGE E704WGB   E461SSD  
1991 G535PGE G536PGE E704WGB   MUS920V  
1992 G535PGE G536PGE E704WGB   H515CGD  
1997 M902DDS M903DDS E704WGB   H515CGD  
1999 S264TSU M903DDS E704WGB   H515CGD  
1999 M903DDS K376MYS C812JGB   H515CGD  
2002 Y544TNS Y543TNS C812JGB   H515CGD  
2002 SG02XLT Y543TNS C812JGB   H515CGD  
2003 SG02XLT Y543TNS C812JGB     G495SYS
2004 SG02XLT Y543TNS C812JGB     SF53YMG
2006 SF06GCV SG02XLT       SF53YMG
2008 SF06GCV SF58ANV       SF53YMG
2010 SF59CYP SF58ANV       SF53YMG
2010 Oct SF59CYP SF10GVX       SF53YMG

 

YHS562S Dodge /Fulton and Wylie WrL
YHS558S Dodge /Fulton and Wylie WrL
XGG731S Shelvoke and Drewry/Carmichael/Magirus TL
OHS45 Austin FFG/HCB ET (was a HrT)
GDS85T Stonefield P5000 6x4/Fulton and Wylie RT
OGD68V Bedford KG/HCB Angus CSV/Fulton and Wylie WrL
OGD79V Bedford KG/HCB Angus CSV/Fulton and Wylie WrL
MUS920V Bedford TK/Fulton and Wylie SAT
SGG689W Ford Transit LWB/SFB ESU
A33ASJ Bedford KG/Fulton and Wylie WrL
B653BGA Bedford KG/Saxon WrL
C812JGB Scaina 92M/Angloco/Metz TL
E461SSD Ford Transit LWB/SFB RRU
E704WGB Scania P92M/Angloco/Metz TL
G495SYS Scania 92M-210/Dependable Bodies/SFB MIU
G535PGE Scania G93M-210/Fulton and Wylie WrL
G536PGE Scania G93M-210/Fulton and Wylie WrL
H515CGD Mercedes 811D/Fulton and Wylie FoST
K376MYS Scania 93M-210/Emergency One WrL
M902DDS Scania P93M-220/Emergency One WrL
M903DDS Scania P93M-220/Emergency One WrL
S264TSU Scania 94D-220/Emergency One WrL  (RTA write off)
Y543TNS Scania 94D-260/Emergency One RPL
Y544TNS Scania 94D-260/Emergency One RPL
SG02XLT Scania 94D-260/Emergency One RPL
SF53YMG Scania 94D-300/Saxon/Moffat Mounty MIU
SF06GCV Scania P310DB CP14 6x2RS/JDC/Vema 28M ARP
SF58ANV Scania P270/JDC RPL
SF59CYP Scania P310 CP14 6x2RS/JDC/Vema 28M ARP
SF10GVX Scania P280/JDC/Polybilt RPL

The Old HRV is being used as an Interim Major Incident Unit until the New Dimension vehicle arrives and is carrying the equipment from the old FoST plus the Mass Decontamination Equipment. The Urban Search and Rescue equipment hasn't arrived yet. (Sept 2003)
It was put on the run on the 20th August 2003 at Clydebank at 1800hrs, it has had a respray, new tape & been lettered 'Strathclyde Fire Brigade Scottish Fire Service Major Incident Support.

Notes

1887 to 1941 Clydebank Burgh Fire Brigade
1941 to 1948 National Fire Service
1948 to 1975 Central Area Fire Brigade
1975 to 2005 Strathclyde Fire Brigade
2005 to 2013 Strathclyde Fire & Rescue (Name change only.)
1/4/2013 to Scottish Fire and Rescue Service

 

The Central Fire Area Administration Scheme Order, 1948

 

Equipment

Wholetime

 

1 Turntable Ladder with pump

1 Senior Company Officer (3rd officer)

 

1 Self-propelled pump

1 Company Officer

 

1 Standard Towing Unit with 1 Large pump

2 Section Leaders

 

1 Emergency Tender

4 Leading Firemen

 

 

24 Firemen & Watch Room Attendants

Establishment 2000

 

Equipment

Wholetime

 

2 Water Tender Ladders

4 Station Officers

 

1 Turntable Ladder

8 Sub Officers

 

1 Foam/Salvage Tender

12 Leading Firefighters

 

 

60 Firefighters

The Staff are split over four watches (Red, Blue, Green and White) 1 Station Officer, 2 Sub Officers, 3 Leading Firefighters and 15 Firefighters working 2 days, 2 nights and 4 days off. Water Tenders are normally manned 5 and 4.

 

Clydebank Firemaster Appointed

Mr Alexander Masson, sub officer of Stretford and Urmiston Fire Brigade, Manchester, has been appointed firemaster of Clydebank in succession to Mr R Buchanan, retired. He formerly held a post in Surrey.
(Glasgow Herald 17/5/1941)

 

Fire Prevention

The Fire Brigade was formed in 1887, and occupied premises at the Canal Bridge over the Canal which passed down to the Clyde from Whitecrook where the L. M. & S. Railway now passes under Glasgow Road. Owing to the operations of the new railway, they had to remove to a temporary Fire Station on Burgh Ground, near the site of the present Municipal Buildings which was to be used until such time as the Municipal Buildings which included a Fire Station were proceeded with. The personel of the Brigade consisted of nine Auxiliary Firemen, the late Bailie Andrew Sinclair being appointed the first Firemaster of the Burgh, and as far as is known the only remaining members of the Brigade now living are Mr. James Stewart, 94 Abbott Crescent, Clydebank and Mr. H.McLean, Master Plumber, Dalmuir.
The appliances of the Brigade consisted of a hand cart with Hose Reel, 600 feet of Canvas Hose with Bayonet Couplings, Hand Pipes, Branches, 2 Hand Pumps, a 16 foot Spliced Ladder in 4 parts and other accessories.
In 1893, the Commissioners of the Burgh inquired of Messrs. J. & G. Thomson Ltd. and Messrs. Singers, if their Engines would be available in the case of a serious fire within the Burgh, the Burgh being responsible for the payment of the Firemen so employed; both firms replied in the negative. The Commissioners then decided to ask Glasgow and Partick if. they would supply an Engine when required, on the usual terms which were submitted and accepted.
In 1894 Firemaster Sinclair resigned and Mr. John Cook was appointed to the position. The Fire Brigade was divided into three districts, Central, East and West and the name of each district Fireman was painted up at his residence, so that the public might call him out as soon as possible, in cases of fires in his district. In 1897 the Fire Station was removed to Hume Street, as it was in the way of making the road at the Municipal Buildings, and a two stalled stable was erected alongside the Station to house the horses. The Commissioners also decided to make further improvements, it being agreed to purchase a Horse Drawn Fire Hose Tender with a spliced ladder in 4 parts, 22 feet long, made by Shand, Mason & Co., London, and an arrangement was come to by which Mr. H. Turnbull, Carriage Hirer would provide horses and harness at the Fire Station also a driver when required. They also decided to purchase 500 feet of Canvas Hose, Hand Pipes, Branches and a patent Spray Nozzle for the new machine.
It was decided to house the five Firemen of the Central District in one tenement in Miller Street, the two Firemen in Yoker District to be asked to reside in the same tenement in a suitable part of Yoker, and that the same arrangement be made in Dalmuir. Telephone communication was installed between the different districts and also with the Police Office.
In 1903 Firemaster Cook resigned and Mr. Wm. Cunningham was appointed Firemaster. The following year, the Brigade removed into the New Fire Station at the Municipal Buildings and the Telephone communications between the districts and the Police Office were installed, also Electric Bells in the Firemen's houses, arrangements being made with Mr. John Muirbead, Carriage Hirer, to supply the horses for the Brigade when required. In 1907 Firemaster Cunningham resigned and the Town Council decided to appoint a full-time Firemaster, and after interviewing several applicants Mr. Wm. White of the Edinburgh Fire Brigade, was appointed. In October, 1907 a serious Fire broke out at the U.C.B.S. Bakery in John Knox Street, and it was necessary to procure the services of a Steam Fire Pump from the Glasgow Fire Brigade to supply the necessary pressure for the height of the building. The following year the Town Council decided to purchase a Steam Motor Fire Pump, also a petrol Motor Fire Tender. After delivery of this Pump Clydebank Fire Brigade was the first all-motor Fire Brigade in the Country. Three new permanent Firemen were appointed, and it was decided to discontinue the District Stations and have all the men resident in or near the Fire Station Buildings. At the beginning of 1909 the Town Council came to an arrangement with the Yoker Ratepayers Committee, for the services of the Brigade from Yoker Burn to Scotstoun West Station, and in 1910 a new arrangement for the district was entered into with the Renfrewshire County Council which lasted until the part of Renfrewshire to the north of the Clyde was annexed by Glasgow. Firemaster White left Clydebank in 1911, and Mr. James Miller, Deputy Firemaster, was appointed Firemaster. In 1912 an arrangement for the services of the Brigade in the Eastern portion of Dumbartonshire was entered into with the County Council of Dunbarton and still continues to operate. During the war the arrangement was extended to the Western portion of Dunbartonshire, which was served by the Brigade until 1922, when it was taken over by Helensburgh Fire Brigade.
In 1919 the Town Council decided to purchase a Merryweather Petrol Motor Fire Pump to displace the Steam Motor Pump as they required greater speed going to a fire and the existing engine consumed too much paraffin. In 1920 it was decided to dispense with the services of the auxiliary firemen, and staff the Brigade with permanent firemen bringing the total up to 14 permanent men. The Town Council adopted the Fire Brigade Pensions Act in 1926. The Town Council decided in 1927 to displace the Petrol Motor Fire Tender with another Petrol Fire Pump, and after inspecting several different Pumps, agreed to purchase a Halley Six-Cylinder Fire Engine with Drysdale Pump. Firemaster Miller retired on pension in 1932, and the present Firemaster, then Deputy Firemaster, was appointed Firemaster. In 1933 the Halley Fire Engine was brought up-to-date with the converting of the Tyres from Solid to Pneumatic, and by the addition of a collector and a Dynamo for Lighting purposes.
In 1935 it was decided to purchase a Halley Six-Cylinder Fire Engine of the latest make with the improved Drysdale Pump, and the latest continuous Foam-making Branch for use on Petrol and Oil Fires was added to the plant of the Brigade.
The Brigade in equipment and number of personnel is in a better position than that of many of the larger towns in the Country.
Few of those who fill the cinemas and other places of amusement give more than a passing thought to the elaborate precautions which are taken for their safety. Public attention is only called to the matter on the occasion of a disaster resulting perhaps in the loss of life. Such disasters are, fortunately, rare in this country, but vigilance cannot be relaxed on this account, especially in view of the fact that as audiences grow larger the risks tend to increase. The Magistrates of Clydebank, who are the Licensing Authority, have always insisted that the necessary precautions be taken and that passages, doors, gates, shutters, exits, stairways, fire curtains, alternative lighting, fire appliances, etc., conform to their requirements before granting a license. They also require that the fire appliances, cinema boxes, etc., be examined weekly and that a fireman should be on duty at all performances for children. These precautions, in addition to the precautions taken by the licensees themselves, ensure that cinema and other audiences in Clydebank are subject to a minimum of risk.
(Pages 85, 86 & 87 from a book in Clydebank Library)

 

New Fire Station opens today

Provost Frank Downie, of Clydebank, the Town Clerk and other Town Council officials will attend the opening of the Brigade's new fire station near Goldenhill this afternoon.
The new £100,000 luxury fire station is one of the most up to date and best equipped in the whole of Scotland.
(The Press, Friday May 25, 1962, Page 5)

Firemen leave the old horse drawn days

<PHOTO>
Assistant Firemaster of the area, Mr Ralph Harvey stands beside Mrs Ann Maclean after she had opened the new station. The Central Area fire service still awaits the appointment of a new Firemaster.
Among others in the picture are Bailies Donald Paterson, Robert Burns, Provost Frank Downie (first three on left) and Councillor Malcolm Turner (extreme right) all of Clydebank. Photo by Alex Holmes.

 

The new station is opened

"Press Staff Reporter"

Two gleaming red fire engines raced on a demonstration run from Clydebank's new £100,000 ultra modern fire station at Goldenhill when an alarm bell was pressed at the opening on Friday.
Mrs Ann Maclean, wife of the late ex Bailie William Maclean, who was vice convener of the Central Area Fire Joint Committee, handed a silver key to Assistant Firemaster Mr Ralph Harvey at the opening ceremony of the luxury station.
The station replaces the very old quarters in Hall Street which were designed for horse drawn appliances.
Provost Frank Downie remarked about the confined working space of the Hall Street fire station.
"I'm sure the firemen must have been reminded of the old music hall ditty 'Don't Fence Me In,'" he quipped " But that will soon be forgotten with the spacious facilities in this fine new building.

UNUSUAL FEATURES

There are a number of unusual operational features incorporated in the design of the new station.
The main window is the watchroom in the form of a "blister" which enables the dutyman to have a commanding view of the large forecourt.
Any member of the public who may approach the station for assistance is immediately observed.
The firemen can even train at night for the drill yard has been equipped with powerful floodlights.
The interior of the station is the last thing in fireman's luxury.
There are reading rooms, lecture rooms, a spacious dining hall and comfortable quarters for the men.
A large tower not unlike a slim block of flats dominates the whole area.
The station will be manned by 47 firemen and two officers.
(The Press, Friday, June 1, 1962, Page 1)

 

Firemen's garages: Maclay consulted

Secretary of State, Mr John Maclay will be asked to intervene in a dispute which is threatening to hold up the building of a block of four garages for the private cars of fire officers at Clydebank's new fire station.
The Central Fire Area Joint Committee proposed to build the garages at a cost of £1,014 and let them to the fire officers at 15s a week.
Clydebank and other authorities on the joint committee have approved the expenditure with the exception of Falkirk Town Council.
The Joint Committee pointed out that if Falkirk continued to disapprove then the matter would be referred to the Scottish Secretary for a decision.
(The Press Friday, June 1, 1962, Page 8)

 

 

Clydebank Fire Station 1887 - 1987

Centenary Ball

Town Hall Clydebank

18/9/1987

Clydebank Fire Brigade

Clydebank Burgh Fire Brigade was formed in 1887 and consisted of 9 Auxiliary Firemen operating a hand cart out of premises at the Canal Bridge of the Forth and Cart Junction Canal.
The Brigade was divided into three Districts including Yoker and Dalmuir and in 1887 moved into temporary premises in Hume Street with a Horse drawn Engine and improved equipment.
In 1904 the new station, adjacent to the Municipal Buildings in Hall Street, was occupied with telephone communication being secured between the Districts and the police office.
Following a serious fire in the U.C.B.'s Bakery in 1907 the first full time Firemaster took delivery of a Steam Motor Fire Pump and a petrol Motor Fire Tender making the Brigade the first all motor Fire Brigade in the country.
From 1920 to 1962 full time firemen have attended thousands of emergency calls in and around Clydebank from the Hall Street Station including the horrific ravages of the Blitz.
The new Clydebank Fire Station in Kilbowie Road was opened in May 1962 and presently houses 2 Water Tenders, 1 Turntable Ladder and an Emergency Support Unit. A total complement of 88 officers and men now continues the fine traditions of Public Service set by their predecessors in the last century to the present day under the auspices of Strathclyde Fire Brigade.
There was a photo with this article showing SN1262 and SN224 in front of the Hall Street station with 10 firemen, 2 officers and a civilian.
(From page 1 of the Invitation Programme for the Centenary Ball 18/9/1987)

 

OPENING OF EAST & WEST DUNBARTONSHIRE

AREA HEADQUARTERS

& RE-DEDICATION OF CLYDEBANK

COMMUNITY FIRE STATION

19th June 2008 

 

ORDER OF PROCEEDINGS 

GUESTS ASSEMBLE 

PLATFORM PARTY ASSEMBLES 

INTRODUCTION
Area Commander William P Hunter 

CHIEF OFFICER’S OPENING REMARKS
Chief Officer B. P Sweeney QFSM D. Univ. MA 

RE-DEDICATION CEREMONY
Councillor Brian Wallace
Convener of the Board of Strathclyde Fire & Rescue 

PRAYER
Strathclyde Fire & Rescue Chaplain
Rev. Craig Lancaster 

CLOSING REMARKS
Chief Officer B. P Sweeney QFSM D. Univ. MA 

BUFFET/DISPLAYS/TOURS 

 

CLYDEBANK
COMMUNITY FIRE STATION
 

In 1887, the Clydebank Burgh Fire Brigade was formed with 9 personnel operating a hand cart out of premises at the Canal Bridge-of the Forth and Cart Junction Canal before moving to temporary accommodation in Hume Street with a horse drawn engine.
In 1904 the Brigade moved into the new fire station in Hall Street and 1908 a huge blaze engulfed the former United Co-operative Baking Society’s premises in John Knox Street, resulting in Clydebank Town Council deciding to invest in a steam motor fire pump and the Clydebank Fire Brigade became the first all-motorised brigade in Scotland.
The Brigade remained there for 58 years with personnel attending thousands of emergency calls in and around Clydebank including the horrific ravages of the Blitz.
At a cost of £100,000, the new Clydebank Fire Station in Kilbowie Road was opened in May 1962 by Mrs Ann MacLean and originally housed 2 Water Tenders, 1 Turntable Ladder and an Emergency Support Unit. Described in the local press at the time as a luxury fire station and one of the most up to date and best equipped in the whole of Scotland, such that “The firemen can even train at night for the drill yard has been equipped with powerful floodlights”
Having provided over 40 years accommodation, Strathclyde Fire Board approved and funded a major £1.7 million refurbishment and extension of the Station in 2006 and is now a modern facility again housing a Rescue Pump, an Aerial Rescue Pump and a Major Incident Unit. With a complement of 81 operational and support personnel, the Station provides a key resource in the prevention, protection and intervention strategies of the Service towards making the communities of East and West Dunbartonshire and Strathclyde safer places to live work and visit. 

THROUGH THE YEARS 

<PHOTO> Clydebank Burgh fireman George Hamilton at the wheel of his six-cylinder Halley fire appliance outside the entrance to Hall Street Fire Station, 1920s. His colleague P McLaughlin stands by.
<PHOTO> Clydebank appliances outside the Community Fire Station in Kilbowie Road. Pictured from left to right are the Aerial Rescue Pump, Rescue Pump and Major Incident Unit.
<PHOTO> Clydebank Community Fire Station before refurbishment.
<PHOTO> Clydebank Community Fire Station after refurbishment. 

EAST & WEST DUNBARTONSHIRE
AREA HEADQUARTERS
 

The old Area HQ building, recently demolished, stood to the side of Clydebank Community Fire Station, and was built around 1974 with a lifespan of 10 years. The building originally accommodated the headquarters of ‘F’ Division before a restructure in 1994 renamed it North Command HQ.
In 2005, to allow for better partnership working in line with Strathclyde Fire and Rescue Strategy, a further restructure took place aligning Areas more closely with Local Authority Councils and it was then renamed East & West Dunbartonshire Area HQ. At one time the building accommodated approximately 30 Fire and Rescue employees, far beyond the original intended capacity.
34 years later, with funding from Strathclyde Fire Board, the new HQ building was completed at a cost of £0.75 million and occupied in December 2007. This is in complete contrast to the previous premises with modern spacious office accommodation for 15 officers and 6 support staff.
The previous HQ building has now been demolished and a much needed car park has been provided in its place for HQ staff. The new building will be a major asset in serving the communities of Strathclyde and East and West Dunbartonshire well into the future. 

<PHOTO> Staff outside the old Area HQ.
<PHOTO> The new East & West Dunbartonshire Area HQ.

 

CLYDESIDE’S ORDEAL BY FIRE

by M. Chadwick

Clydeside bore the brunt of Scotland’s limited ordeal by bomb and fire. Thirty-two members of the Fire Service were killed in action, and over 200 badly injured. All the attacks took place before nationalisation of the Fire Service, and all the more credit is therefore due to the local authorities and to the members of their fire brigades for their splendid co-operation in the battle with the flames on Clydeside.
The local authority controlled Fire Brigades co-operated in a manner which reflects considerable credit upon them and the officers and men of the units of the Fire Service in Clydeside.
There is not a single instance on record where local authorities refused assistance to their stricken colleagues.
Indeed, such was the enthusiasm then that there was considerable competition among Fire Service personnel to be allowed the privilege of going to the assistance of the other areas.
I have heard Firemasters express in glowing terms their appreciation and pay tributes for the help they received from other local authorities.
I must not forget the part played by part-time personnel. I had scores of volunteers from this coterie who were extremely anxious to play their part, both at the week-ends and at night time, to relieve their full-time colleagues, who, due to the tremendous tasks which confronted them, found it difficult to obtain rest and sleep.
These part-time men and women gave freely of their services and shared equally the trials and tribulations of their full-time colleagues in their strong desire to bring fires under control as quickly as possible.
Numerous instances can be quoted, where personnel at their own expense actually hired transport to proceed to stricken areas to offer their services on the spot for fire fighting operations, without any thought or consideration for themselves or their own welfare.
Mention must be made, too, of the part played by volunteer female personnel, not only in the Control Rooms, but also on the fire-ground, in carrying out duties associated with the feeding of the fire fighters from canteen vans under conditions which called for tremendous enthusiasm on the part of the women. They supplied not only hot refreshment to fire fighting personnel, but also rendered considerable assistance in feeding the stricken public of the affected areas.
In this short article, I will content myself with making mention of the larger incidents which demanded the attendance of a reasonable number of Fire Service officers and men. It must be appreciated that there were a number of smaller incidents arising from other air raids within the Clydeside area, which were adequately and efficiently dealt with by the authorities without assistance.
On September 18, 1940, enemy action over the City of Glasgow started fires in the Central, Partick, Yoker, and Yorkhill districts, including a serious outbreak of fire on one of H.M. ships at Yorkhill. These incidents called upon the services of officers and men and the use of fifty pumps.
The areas affected on March 13, 1941, were Knightswood, Scotstoun, Lambhill, Kelvingrove, Hutchesontown, Yoker, Kingston, Hyndland, Kelvindale, Partick, and Clydebank. Altogether 250 pumps were in operation at fire incidents in these areas. Five fire stations were hit during this raid and a number of fire appliances put out of action.
Special mention must be made of the part played by Boy Messenger Neil Leitch. A part time volunteer, he immediately reported for duty on his bicycle on the receipt of the "alert." He dashed from his home without wishing his family good bye, and reported to Partick Fire Station.
Shortly afterwards, he volunteered to accompany a senior officer of the Fire Service to the Hyndland district.
This officer sent him with a message for assistance. Although Boy Messenger Neil Leitch, who was only 16 years of age, was thrown from his bicycle on more than one occasion by the effects of blast, whilst endeavouring to reach Partick Fire Station, he managed to deliver his message.
On one occasion, he was so badly injured that he was carried into a first aid dressing station. After the minimum amount of attention, he insisted upon proceeding with his message, contrary to the advice of the ambulance officers.
He informed them that he must get this message through, as it was very important, and in spite of his injuries, continued on his way to Partick Fire Station. Just before he reached the Station, it was hit by a high explosive oil bomb and he received further injuries. Despite this, he heroically carried on and finally delivered the message.
Messenger Leitch subsequently succumbed to his injuries. In recognition of his heroic conduct, the Lord Provost of the City of Glasgow, Sir Patrick Dollan, and the members of the Fire Service, erected a Celtic Cross over his grave at Dalbeth Cemetery.
On March 14, 1941, a number of fires caused by the enemy action of the previous evening were still blazing furiously, and the enemy, taking full advantage of the resultant illumination, carried out a further attack. On this occasion the districts affected were Yoker, Partick, Dumbarton, Clydebank, Dalnottar and Dumbarton County. The seriousness of the situation can be gauged by the necessity to put into action over 200 pumps with the proportionate number of officers and men.
The areas affected on April 7, 1941, were the Central, Dalmarnock, Kingston, Shawlands, Bridgeton, Whiteinch, Partick, and Clydebank districts, the fire incidents demanding the attendance of 74 pumps.
On April 16, 1941, an urgent call for assistance was received for re-inforcements for Northern Ireland, and twenty five pumps and 250 officers and men were dispatched from Clydebank to Belfast. The personnel were engaged for several days dealing with serious outbreaks of fire in that city as the result of enemy air attack.
A further attack was made on Belfast on May 5, 1941. Again assistance had to be sent to the extent of twenty pumps and 200 officers and men, who remained in Belfast for some considerable time.
On both of these occasions, I received very fine tributes from governing officers responsible for Northern Ireland and the City of Belfast.
Meanwhile, a number of pumps and their crews had been dispatched to Glasgow from England to make up resultant deficiencies. This foresight was justified. On May 6, 1941, enemy air activity created incidents in the Central, Eastern, Northern, Dumbarton, and Bearsden districts, which required the attendance of thirty pumps.
A further enemy attack developed the next night over the Burgh of Greenock. Incidents were also created in the Kelvinside, Hillfoot, and Dumbarton areas. From this Fire Force Area, fifty five pumps were sent into action, the majority being dispatched to Greenock.
That was the last occasion on which Clydeside was threatened by the flames started by enemy bombers.
The courage and devotion to duty displayed by members of Fire Service in Scotland was in no way less than that shown by their English colleagues during the more persistent and frequent raids on ports and industrial areas over the Border. We in Scotland are proud to feel that we contributed our share in the fire defence of this island, did everything that was asked of us and were prepared to have given more had the call been made on us.

 

They Gave their Lives

 

Thirty two men of Western (No. 1) Area were killed in action during the war.

Their names are:

Fm. Walter Bilsland

Dumbarton.

Fm. S. Libbert

Ibrox.

B./M. W. Campbell

Kinning Park.

Fm. J. MacDonald

Bankhead.

Fm. H. Carlisle

Bankhead.

Fm. A. McGibbon

Bankhead.

Fm. A. Clelland

Bankhead.

P./O. Wm. McGregor

Alexandria

Fm. H. Collins

Bankhead.

Fm. O. McIntosh

Bowling

Fm. A. Donald

Bankhead.

L/Fm. G. McLaren

Dumbarton.

Fm. H. Donnelly

Bankhead.

Fm. J. McLean

Bankhead.

Act. Sub./O. J. Edmiston

Bankhead.

Fm. R. Morrison Jr.

Bankhead.

Fm. T. Finlay

Bankhead.

Fm. C. Mulvaney

Bankhead.

Fm. G. Geddes

Bankhead.

B./M. R. Pacitti

Bankhead.

Fm. M. Girvan

Wellshot.

Fm. W. Robertson

Bankhead.

Fm. M. Harrison

Kinning Park.

Fm. H. Simeon

Bankhead.

Fm. W. Hunter

Bankhead.

Fm. T. D. Turnbull

St. Peter's.

Fm. A. Irwin

Bankhead.

Fm. R. Walker

Bankhead.

Fm. Wm. Jackson

Ibrox.

B./M. D. Woodhead

Bankhead.

B./M. N. Leitch St. Peter's. L./Fm. R. Woodhead Bankhead.

 

B/M  Boy Messenger

In addition, 221 men were injured.

(From a photocopy of a book or magazine in Clydebank Library)

 

 

 

MAIN INDEX                         1975 INDEX                         STRATHCLYDE INDEX