1 Pump W/T 1Pump R/T.
|? to 1890||Quay Street (Fire damaged)|
|1890 to 1910||Quay Street (rebuilt)|
|1910 to ?||Bankend|
|7/3/1958||Castlegreen Street Dumbarton G82 1EA Photo|
|1927? to 1939||Firemaster W. B. Carberry (There in 1927 Dumbarton Burgh Fire Brigade)|
|? to1941||Firemaster Jas. Hunt (Dumbarton Burgh Fire Brigade) (1/9/1941 became Column Officer "D" Division NFS Western No.1 Area)|
1938 Enclosed van with crew cab, folding down Escape and trailer Pump
|SN9453||Austin/J C Bennet (Sigmund Pump/60' Escape)||PE|
|SMS681||Land Rover 108/Fire Armour||L4P|
|SMS684||Land Rover 108/Fire Armour||L4P/RT|
|2011 Aug 29||SF11EEP||SF06GAU|
|E461SSD||Ford Transit LWB/SFB||RRU|
|H95YUS||Scania G93M-210/Fulton and Wylie||WrL|
|L724UGA||Scania G93M-210/Emergency One||WrL|
|P940SGE||Scania G93M-220/Emergency One||WrL|
|N298NGG||Mercedes 412D/Emergency One||RRU|
|Y546TNS||Scania 94D-260/Emergency One||RPL|
|1907? to 1941||Dumbarton Burgh Fire Brigade|
|1941 to 1948||National Fire Service|
|1948 to 1975||Central Area Fire Brigade|
|1975 to 2005||Strathclyde Fire Brigade|
|2005||Strathclyde Fire & Rescue (Name change only.)|
Leven Shipyard Brigade Mr Jackson. 1907.
1940 Vale of Leven Fire Brigade. Tender with 30'Ajax (xx531) and GLM792? 6 men.
1950 Vale of Leven Fire Brigade. TL (Austin K4? GXNxxx) PE, Tender, ATV. 17 plus men.
21/1/1893 Bowling recently formed Fire Brigade attended blaze at Littlemill Distillery Bowling.
1939 AFS at Alexandria had 5 L/Fm and 26 Fm. 5 trailer pumps with 5 men per pump.
1940 Renton Fire Station , Back Street; Station, Auxiliary Fire Pump and Protective clothing all destroyed in fire. Vale of Leven AFS and Dumbarton Fire Brigade attended.
1942 AFS at Renton had 25 men.
1945 There were 5 men in the full time crew at Dalmonach.
1975 Dumbarton Burgh Hall Fire (at least 2TL, 1PE & 1WrT).
There was a TL at Castlegreen Street when it opened.
The fire station at Dalmonach belonged to Caulfields in 1958 and is no more as it was destroyed in a fire some time ago. (Told by Garage owner on site 26/10/1998)
The fire station at Dalmonach was tucked in behind the lodge house and the garage, the owner of which you spoke to. I visited it during the 50s. One of the part time firemen was also a part time employee of my father. The pride and joy of the station was an ancient Halley appliance which if their boasts were correct had the greatest lift of any pump in the area. (R. Bain 6/12/2007)
Fire Brigade with engine Armstrong Whitworth Works Fire Brigade 1915. (Armstrong Whitworth 1914-1918). Photo of in Loch Lomond Factory Outlets Alexandria.
The first Rescue Pump in Strathclyde went on the run at Dumbarton on the 17th January 2002.
DUMBARTON BURGH FIRE BRIGADE.
<PHOTO> The Convener and Staff of
the Fire Brigade photographed with appliances
So much progressive work has been done by our local “city fathers” during the past few years towards putting the Burgh’s fire fighting forces on an up-to-date and modern footing that a brief description, accompanied by the photographic illustrations, will go far to convey to our readers just how efficient our Fire Brigade now is. The history of the Brigade in its early days, like so many old records, is not very complete; we do know, however, that twenty-five years ago the appliance was changed from a hand-drawn reel to a horse-drawn machine, and until recent years this was found to be sufficient. The advent of the motor put a new complexion on things, however, and with the difficulty of obtaining horses, our Town Council, in 1923, faced the problem boldly by purchasing a light motor fire engine of the Stanley Ford type, having a high speed turbine pump, which is capable of pumping 200 gallons of water per minute from a lift of 25 feet and discharging same through two 7/8-in, nozzles to a height of 75 feet. The engine body is designed to carry 10 men, 300 yards of delivery hose, 40 feet of suction hose and all the necessary appliances. With its extra high speed gear box the motor is capable of attaining a speed on the road of 35 miles per hour.
Time and again the adaptability of the light fire engine for small town and county district fires has been adequately proved. The Dumbarton Brigade within the last year took over a portion of the county area for fire protection, and at a recent fire at Arrochar arrived in record time, found that the nearest available water supply was Loch Long, and that the tide was far out. The engine was, however, run down to the beach and over the soft sand to the water’s edge, and, delivering a good supply of water, the fire was soon under control.
When the Council purchased the engine they also bought a fire escape which can extend to a height of 50 feet and can also be adapted as a water tower. The personnel of the Brigade is made up of 1 Firemaster, 1 Captain, 1 Driver and 6 Firemen. Alarm bells ring in the homes of the staff when calls are made, and this is highly satisfactory at night, but not so suitable by day when men are at work. It should be mentioned that the firemaster, Mr W. B. Carberry, has had long experience in fire extinguishing, having been appointed firemaster at Larkhall, Lanarkshire, in 1896.
As we go to press we learn of a new development in the fire protection machinery of our town. The Town Council, having decided to further improve the appliances, in having a motor fire tender built on lines similar to the present engine, and this will prove an enormous boon to the staff in its work.
<PHOTO> The Interior of the Fire Station. Showing SN2723?
<PHOTO> Councillor Bilsland, Convener of the Fire Brigade.
<PHOTO> Mr W. B. Carberry, Firemaster.
<PHOTO> Captain A. Lynn, Dumbarton Fire Brigade.
(The Rock magazine, 1927 Volume 8 Number 4. Pages 6-9)
DUMBARTON'S NEW FIRE STATION
FORMAL OPENING CEREMONY
Bailie Andrew Mair, J .P., opened Dumbarton's new fire station, the
most modern and up to date in Scotland, last Friday afternoon, in the presence of fire
chiefs from four counties; representatives of the Scottish Home Department, Dumbartonshire's two M.P.s; Provosts and town clerks of Dumbarton and Cove and
Kilcreggan; the Chief Constable of Dumbarton, and members of the Central Fire Area Joint
He said: "In 1948 with the approval of the Dumbarton town council, our Fire Brigade was moved temporarily to the Vale of Leven to protect some of the appliances which could not be properly housed owing to the low roof in our old fire station. The stay there was a bit longer than we expected. However, on looking round this well equipped station, which I think can be a prototype for Scotland, you will agree the delay has been worth while. This most up to date building, which cost approximately £47,700 to build is considered the western station of our Central Area Fire Authority, embracing Stirlingshire, Clackmannanshire and Dumbartonshire, and will give fire cover to that very vulnerable area stretching from Clydebank to Balloch, Helensburgh and beyond. All stations are linked by radio and within seconds the whole central area of Scotland is alerted to deal with any call. It is fitting that this rapidly expanding burgh of over 26,000 people should have a fire station in keeping with the County Town of Dumbartonshire. No local authority could face such an outlay, and when I add that a modern fire fighting appliance like a turntable ladder costs about £12,000 today the benefits accruing from the amalgamation of all the local fire brigades become obvious.
"The Fire service in this country is held up as an example and copied by other nations. We have studied the fire stations built during the last five years and have incorporated in this building certain improvements such as an oil burning central heating system which, although slightly dearer in fuel, is very much cheaper when consideration is given to the manpower question. Some of the features were copied from the design of the cleansing stations erected during war time. In particular, when firemen come back dirty from a fire they can undress, hang up their wet clothing in the drying chamber, move next door and have a bath and thence to the locker room where their dry, spare uniform is kept. One unusual feature is the watch room and general office combined and everything possible has been done to reduce maintenance to a minimum in order to save manpower. The incorporation of a photo electric eye on the station doors records on a graph the time taken from receipt of a call until a machine leaves the station. This is the first time such equipment has been fitted in any fire station. Apart from a hose and drill tower which are still considered essential, and without which the building is incomplete, this section will be modern forty years from now."
Referring to the presence of the two members of Parliament, Mr Tom Steele, Dumbarton West and Mr Cyril Bence, Dumbarton East, Bailie Mair said that the Central Area Fire Committee felt that the allocation of Government Grants to the Fire Service was "Very unfair."
"Our Fire Service," he said, "operates 24 hours a day, like the police. Their functions are: the saving of live, property and industrial risk. They are the mainstay of any Civil Defence scheme either in being or likely to be formulated, yet we are only allowed a grant of 25 per cent as against 50 per cent for the Police Service and from 75 to 100 per cent for Civil Defence. I do not think it is generally known that amongst the many duties carried out by the Fire Service is that of covering the Fire risk to the large volume of shipping that enters and leaves the river Clyde. It is unfair that such a large proportion of the cost should have to be paid by ratepayers in the Clyde Valley."
Bailie Mair paid tribute to the architect and the contractors for "a good job, well done." He then pressed a button. The large, airy building was filled with the clamour of the alarm bell, the double doors swung wide automatically, the men raced to their machines and within seconds they were away. And the new station was officially in operation for the first time.
Ex-Provost James Thomson, Kirkintilloch, chairman of the Central Area Joint committee, who presided, paid tribute to the memory of the late Mr George McLaren, of Stirling, who was chairman of the committee from its inception ten years ago until his recent death. Mr Thomsom went on to say: "This is a great occasion indeed in the history of the Central Fire Area Joint Committee. When it was formed ten years ago we found ourselves with a very poor collection of Equipment and very poor stations: some were badly sited, and some were practically non existent. The committee purchased a number of new appliances and began to build stations. This station is the most up to date in Scotland. The men have been provided with the best accommodation we could give them. Fire fighting appliances of the present time are very expensive and have to be carefully cared for, by making the men comfortable we expect and we get results. I am happy to see this station completed. When the time came for us to decide who would have the honour of opening it, the committee were unanimous in selecting Bailie Mair who has been a member of this committee since it was formed."
After the opening ceremony had been performed Mr Tom Steele and Mr Cyril Bence spoke briefly, expressing their pleasure at being invited to the function. Other speakers included Mr A. F. C. Clark, Assistant Secretary, the Scottish Home Department: Mr A. Smith, Architect: and Mr Williamson, representing the contractors, who presented a wristlet watch to Bailie Mair.
The guests were entertained to light refreshments in the recreation room and were then taken on a conducted tour of the airy, beautifully appointed building. The new station's nerve centre the watchroom, houses all the telephone equipment, private alarm systems from public works in the district and the general office. The main doors are also electronically controlled by a switch in the watchroom. A new feature is the timing mechanism incorporated in the fire station doors. When a fire appliance passes through the doors on its way to a fire the exact time is recorded on a graph by means of a beam, which is emitted from a photo electric cell being broken.
Showers and a locker room are provided so that when the firemen return from a fire, dirty and wet, they can undress, bathe and obtain a change of clothing, leaving their wet clothing in the drying room. And within minutes they are ready to tackle another outbreak. A central heating plant ensures a supply of hot water at all times.
At the rear of the building is a large yard used for hose washing and drilling purposes. The yard can be floodlit to allow for night training. Eventually the authorities intend to erect a hose and drill tower which is regarded as an essential in modern fire stations.
A messroom is provided for the personnel taking meals in the Fire Station when on duty. An up to date kitchen is provided for the preparation of meals. Recreation facilities are provided also, and the messroom and recreation room are merely separated by a folding partition so that the whole accommodation can be used for lecture purposes, social activities, showing of films, etc.
The dormitory on the top flat provides sleeping accommodation for the night shift personnel when on duty. An attempt has been made to sub divide the dormitory to try to avoid the "hospital" or "barrack room" atmosphere. Dunlopille mattresses are provided on the beds in the interests of hygiene and economy since the beds are communal for all the Duty Watches in the Station.
Polished steel poles are provided from the first floor down to the Ground Floor so that the firemen can slide down those poles when the fire bell goes, and arrive in the Muster Bay where their fire kit is hanging ready. The poles and Muster Bay have been so arranged in relation to the Appliance Room that men have the minimum of running to do to amount the appliances, thus speeding up the turnout of fire appliances to a fire call.
A separate room has been provided for the maintenance and testing of the Breathing Apparatus Sets in the Station, which of course must be done in very hygienic conditions.
Included in the new equipment are three new fire fighting appliances. Two are departures from the traditional red of the fire brigade. Instead the bodywork has an aluminium finish, thus eliminating the necessity for renewing paintwork. One of these is a huge double purpose vehicle which carries a turn table ladder for life saving as well as a pump and four hundred gallons of water for fighting. Another vehicle carries a 100 ft. steel turntable ladder for use in fighting fires in high buildings.
Each vehicle is fitted with two way radio linking the fire crews to both the station and the headquarters.
The station is so sited as to have ready access to all parts of its 'fireground' and also to enable reinforcements to be sent speedily to Clydebank if necessary. It will serve as parent station to Balfron, Cove, Helensburgh and Arrochar, part time satellite stations. There are 23 men on the whole time strength of the station with 17 part time firemen to answer any emergency.
Firemaster Mr J. T. Davidson, has announced that his divisional officer Mr T. Pryde, will welcome visits from the public at the new station.
(The Lennox Herald, March 15, 1958. Page ? )
If you know of any mistakes in this or have any additional information please let me know.
MAIN INDEX 1975 INDEX STRATHCLYDE INDEX