N12 STEPPS

1 Pump Retained

Stations

1950 to 7/2/1953 Appliance kept in corner of open garage in County Repairs Department.
7/2/1953 to ? Old Stables, Mount Harriet House, Mount Harriet Drive.                                             Photo
April 1975? Cardowan Road, STEPPS. G33 6HT.                                                                                  Photo

Firemasters

? to ? Sub Officer Bill Steedman
1964? to 1979? Sub Officer Robert Kirk
1979? to 1990 Sub Officer Jim Hope
1990 to 1998 Sub Officer Brian Wallace
1998 to 23/2/2005 Sub Officer John McGrath.
29/4/2005 to Sub Officer Thomas K. Mclaren
2013 to Watch Manager Chris Burns

Appliances

 

1950? GLR701 Austin K2/Home Office HrT
1957? RVA222 Bedford D4SZ/HCB WrT
1973? KVD596L Dennis D/Dennis WrL
1989 GGG661T Dodge K1613/HCB Angus WrL
1990 EGD267X Bedford KG/CFE WrL
1994 D999SSU Scania 82M/Fulton and Wylie WrL
1998 H101YUS Scania G93M-210/Emergency One WrL
2005 L716UGA Scania G93M-210/Emergency One WrL
2007 SG02XLU Scania 94D-260/Emergency One RPL
2013 June SF06GCK Scania P270/JDC RPL
2017 July SF10EJC Scania P280/JDC/Polybilt RPL

Notes

 

Pre 1948 ?
1948 to 1975 Lanarkshire Fire Brigade
1975 to 2005 Strathclyde Fire Brigade
2005 Strathclyde Fire & Rescue (Name change only.)

 

The Lanarkshire Fire Area Administration Scheme Order, 1948

  Equipment Volunteer
  First Aid Appliances 1 Leading Fireman
    5 Firemen

 

Establishment 2000

 

Equipment

Retained

 

1 Water Tender Ladder

1 Sub Officer

 

 

1 Leading Firefighter

 

 

8 Firefighters

 

Upgraded from Volunteer to Retained in 1950.

The Part Time Retained Fire Station in Stepps came into operation on 1st May, 1951, but during the two weeks until the end of the year they did not attend a Fire Call
(Lanarkshire Fire Brigade Annual Report. 1950 1951.)

Work commenced at the beginning of February 2006 to refurbish the station which will give the station a new  office for the OiC, new locker and shower area for the station crew, plus new entry at the front for disabled access with a provisional finish for May/June 2006

 

PROBLEM FACING LANARKSHIRE FIRE BRIGADE

Through the goodwill and co-operation of the County Repairs Department in Stepps, a Retained Unit was set up in August, 1950. Facilities were granted to house the Fire Appliance in a corner of the open garage. Many of the personnel forming the Unit were recruited from the Depot and live and work close to the Station. This arrangement, though admirable for a short period, was quite inadequate as a permanent feature.
To be really successful a Retained Unit must be a closely knit team and have ample drill, lecture and recreational facilities; these were lacking in the set up as existing. Experience has shown that where these amenities are provided, greater efficiency is attained. A fireman must feel pride in showing his friends round the Fire Station, pride in the uniform he wears and of the service he represents.
It is obvious then, that the question of the provision of a new station at Stepps was a matter of some urgency. The problem then to be faced was that of finding a suitable building which was capable of being adapted to suit the Fire Brigade requirements. A new building would, of course, have been the ideal solution, but owing to the limitation on capital expenditure being imposed by H.M. Government this had to be ruled out. The next consideration was to find premises close to the County Repair Depot where so many of the personnel were to be found. This naturally narrowed the field and it was but a short step to the old stables at Mount Harriet House.
Negotiations were then opened between the Fire Brigade Committee and the County Repairs Depot Committee and agreement was reached and work commenced in September, 1952.
An estimate for the work was drawn up and the Fire Brigade Committee agreed to an expenditure of 1,000 on the project. This figure was agreed at the Scottish Home Department. All labour has been provided from Fire Brigade staff and the following shows the amount of man hours and materials used.

Man Hours

3,605

Bricks

8,000

Sand

12 tons

Cement

4 tons

Chips

5 tons

Granite

3 tons

Tiles

2,600

Slates

3,000

Hardboard

3,844 sq.ft.

Plasterboard(8’x4’)

92 sheets

Hardwall Plaster

10 cwts.

Timber

75 sq.yds. and 75 cu.ft.

Paint, Electrical and Plumbers Accessories.

The Construction Squad consisted of:-
The Gaffer
A Joiner
A Plumber
A Bricklayer
2 Slaters
An Electrician

(From the Souvenir Brochure of the Official Opening of the Mount Harriet Drive Station Saturday, 7th February, 1953)

 

 

Stepps new fire station is operational. (Lanarkshire Fire Committee minutes. 3/10/1973.)

 

 

 

 

If you know of any mistakes in this or have any additional information please let me know.

 

MAIN INDEX                         1975 INDEX                         STRATHCLYDE INDEX