L62 IONA

Mobile Volunteer Unit.

Stations

1956 Box? Hut?
? Wooden Hut next to Village Hall
1997 Large Black Garage on the left just as you come off the landing strip. (Old Cal-Mac store)             Photo
1/9/2007 New Station (turn left when you get to the top of the slipway)                                                             Photo

 

Firemasters

  

1968 Volunteer Leader W. S. Tindal
? to ? Volunteer Leader Ken Tindal (There 1991)
30/5/1997 to ? Volunteer Leader Gordon Grant
2001 to 14/9/2004 Volunteer Leader Gordon MacCormick
2007 Crew Manager David Allaway (there 2014)

 

Appliances

1956   One 2 Men Manual Pump  
199? TSJ132Y Ford P100/SFB L2P L2P
? ? Transit Van VSU
2001 L164YCS Iveco Turbo Daily/Emergency One VSU
2006 SF55ERJ Mercedes 814D/Emergency One VSU

 

Notes

1956 to 1975 Western Area Fire Brigade
1975 to 2005 Strathclyde Fire Brigade
2005 to 2013 Strathclyde Fire & Rescue (Name change only.)
1/4/2013 Scottish Fire and Rescue Service

 

In 1968 it was Volunteer Leader W. S. Tindal

Following representations received from Mull District Council as to the adequacy of the Fire Fighting Services at Bunessan, Mull, the Firemaster had made a survey of Bunessan district and also of the Island of Iona as to the position in this respect and, in consequence of his report, the Western Fire Area Joint Committee propose (a) to increase the establishment of equipment at Bunessan by one additional pump appliance, and (b) to establish a volunteer unit of 7 volunteer firemen and one two-man manual pump appliance on the Island of Iona. The cost of the proposals will be £160 and will be borne entirely by Argyll County Council. The proposals require an amendment to the Western Fire Area Administration Scheme Order
(From a letter dated 21/8/1956 to Gourock Town Council)

Strength today?(2 members were lost in the Iona boat tragedy 1998)

Duncraig, Iona, Argyll.:- The volunteer unit at Iona was called out on Sunday, 25th December, 1966, at 0720 hours to a fire in a two storey private house. On arrival the Officer-in Charge discovered the building was well alight. Two jets were quickly brought into action to control the fire but this having got a good hold, the building was severely damaged. Great credit is due not only to the members of this unit but to all the volunteers in Argyll and Bute who, when called upon, turn out so readily.
(WAFB Annual Report)

 Unconfirmed report from Mull that building has started on a new station. (3/10/2005)

Site cleared and ready for steel work to go up. (April 2006)

The new station will not be of the same design as the other Volunteer stations because of Iona's heritage status.

 

 

OFFICIAL OPENING OF

IONA COMMUNITY FIRE STATION 

STRATHCLYDE
FIRE & RESCUE 

1st September 2007 

 

GUESTS ASSEMBLE 

PLATFORM PARTY ASSEMBLES 

WELCOME AND OPENING REMARKS
Area Manager John Ironside 

OPENING CEREMONY
Councillor Brian Wallace
Convener of the Board of Strathclyde Fire & Rescue
 

DEDICATION OF STATION
Father Jim Thompson
Reverend Neil Anderson
 

CLOSING REMARKS
Chief Officer Brian P Sweeney Q.F.S.M. D.Univ. M.A. 

BUFFET

 

IONA COMMUNITY FIRE STATION 

In 1956 following representations received from Mull District Council as to the adequacy of the fire fighting services at Bunessan and lona, the Firemaster had made a survey of Bunessan District and also the Island of Iona as to the position in this respect and, in consequence of his report, the Western Fire Area Joint Committee propose (A) to increase the establishment of equipment at Bunessan by one additional pump appliance, and (B) to establish a volunteer unit of 7 volunteer firemen and one two man manual pump appliance on the Island of lona. The cost of the proposals will be £160.00 and will be borne entirely by Argyll County Council. The proposals require an amendment to the Western Fire Area Administration Scheme order.
(extract from letter dated 21/08/1956 to Gourock Town Council). 

Fortunately over the years the crews have not attended many serious house fires. However, the Western Area Fire Brigade, Annual Report recorded “Duncraig, Iona. The volunteer unit at Iona was called out on Sunday 25th December, 1966, at 0720 hours to a fire in a two-story private house. On arrival the Officer in Charge discovered the building was well alight. Two jets were quickly brought into action to control the fire but this having a good hold, the building was severely damaged. Great credit is not only due to the members of this Unit but to all the volunteers in Argyll & Bute who, when called upon, turn out so readily” 

In 2006, following the tendering process a contract was awarded to TSL Contractor Ltd, Craignure, Mull at a cost of £450,000. Work commenced in April 2006 and took approximately 10 months to complete. 

The role of Strathclyde Fire & Rescue has changed over recent years and continues to change. Firefighters now work proactively to reduce the number of fires, other emergencies, fatalities and injuries through a variety of community safety initiatives. Volunteer firefighters continue to perform an important role in their community, by providing 24/7 firecover, promoting fire safety message, carrying out Home Fire Safety Visits. On its official opening the station is crewed by 10 personnel, Crew Manager David Allaway, his deputy Gordon Bruce and firefighters Michael Gordon, Neil Harvery, Mark Jardine, John MacLean, Jane Martin, Lindsay McIntyre, Daniel Morgan and Shona Walker 

The new station is continued testament to Strathclyde Fire Board’s commitment to the rural communities of Argyll & Bute.

 

MAIN CONTRACTORS
TSL Contractor Ltd
Craignure
Isle of Mull
Argyll 

ARCHITECTS
Argyll and Bute Council
Property Department

 

 

 

If you know of any mistakes in this or have any additional information please let me know.

 

MAIN INDEX                         1975 INDEX                         STRATHCLYDE INDEX