F68 GIGHA

Mobile Volunteer Unit.

Stations

? to 1955 Metal cabinet adjacent to Island Shop
1955 to 2001 Wooden Hut beside the Post Office.                          Photo
27/7/2002 to Volunteer Garage (road up from slipway turn left)    Photo

Firemasters

 

 

1960 to 9/1/1993 Volunteer Leader Sheamus McSporran
? to 7/10/2005 Volunteer Leader Warren  Harvey
2014 Volunteer Leader Andrew Clements

 

Appliances

1948 to ?                        1 Two-men manual pump

? to 2001                        Pump, hose etc.

2001                                Y628TYS    Mercedes 814D/Emergency One        VSU

 

 

Notes

The new station is complete but has not been handed over to the brigade yet. (1/6/2001)

The new station became operational on 23/7/2001, and was Officially Opened on 27/7/2002.

 

1941 to 1948 National Fire Service
1948 to 1975 Western Area Fire Brigade
1975 to 2005 Strathclyde Fire Brigade
2005 to 2013 Strathclyde Fire & Rescue (Name change only.)
1/4/2013 Scottish Fire and Rescue Service

2014 this unit now has Hydraulic cutting equipment (Combi Tool). Don't know when received.

 

 

The Western Fire Area Administration Scheme Order, 1948

                                                                                        Equipment                                                                                        Volunteer

                                                                                       1 Two Men manual Pump                                                               7 Firemen

 

 

OFFICIAL OPENING

 

Gigha Fire Station

 

Saturday 27th July 2002

 

 

ORDER OF PROCEEDINGS

GUESTS ASSEMBLE

PLATFORM PARTY ASSEMBLES

OPENING REMARKS
Councillor J Stirling
Member, Strathclyde Fire Board

OPENING CEREMONY
Councillor J Shaw
Convenor, Strathclyde Fire Board

DEDICATION OF STATION
Reverend Rosemary Legge

PRESENTATION OF TRAINING CERTIFICATES
Firemaster J Ord OstJ, QFSM, GIFireE

FIREMASTER’S REMARKS
Firemaster J Ord OstJ, QFSM, GIFireE

CLOSING REMARKS

BUFFET

 

GIGHA

VOLUNTEER UNIT

 During the Second World the island’s Home Guard were in essence the foundations for the Volunteer Fire Unit. Post war, the Western Area Fire Board maintained the equipment which consisted of a stirrup pump, canvas buckets, lines and “Dad’s Army” style tin helmets; all stored in a metal cabinet adjacent to the island’s shop. One large wooden ladder was also available but no one knew how to operate it, nor indeed did anyone know how it was to be transported to a fire.
The turnout system was uncomplicated but effective, simply “hand wind the siren and those who arrived manned the buckets”.
In 1955 water mains and fire hydrants were installed on the island. The unit were then issued with standpipes and fire hose along with an 8’ x 4’ timber shed which was again located at the shop.
The formation of Strathclyde Fire Brigade in 1975 brought further developments in the form of improved resources, a structured approach to training and the provision of uniform in keeping with Wholetime colleagues.
The Unit Leader for most of this period was Sheamus McSporran (1960 to 1993) who on the 12th January 1993, only three days after he had retired from the Unit suffered a fire loss in respect of his motor vehicle. The alarm was raised late in the evening by neighbour Angus McVean, who calmly enquired “Is that supposed to be on fire?” Needless to say the Unit was called and promptly extinguished the fire preventing it from spreading to adjoining properties.
Today we are here to open this new facility with all its modern fire fighting equipment, breathing apparatus and purpose built fire appliance.
However we should not forget the volunteers past and present who give and have given so willingly of their time to serve their community.
Strathclyde Fire Brigade will continue to provide resources, training and community safety initiatives, it is the men and women who volunteer their time and effort that enables a fire service to be provided.
It is to them that we express our gratitude.

 

MAIN CONTRACTORS

 Messrs Mckinven and Colville
7-11 Argyll Street
Campbeltown
PA28 6AY

 ARCHITECTS

 Argyll and Bute Council
Department of Transportation and Property
Director:- Mr Alistair Gow

 

Designed and produced by Strathclyde Fire Brigade (Graphics)

 

 

 

MAIN INDEX                         1975 INDEX                         STRATHCLYDE INDEX