1 Pump Retained


  Burgh Yard
1937? High Street, LOCKERBIE.
28/2/1991 to Glasgow Road, LOCKERBIE. DG11 2AT                   Photo




1956 to 1983 Sub Officer William Coupland B.E.M.           (Willie)
1983 to 2001 Sub Officer Charles Fraser Walker M.B.E.
2001 to Sub Officer John James Irving



1959   Bedford Type B WrT received new
? NCS443 Bedford J5SZ3 WrT
? NCS142G Bedford TJ4L/HCB Angus WrT
1980 RCS7M Bedford TKEL/Jag 4.2/HCB Angus WrT
1990 A954HSW Dodge G12C/Mountain Range WrL
1992 F897ASW Dodge G13/Excalibur FRT
1998 H467JSW Scania 93M-210/Emergency One FRT
1999 T332ASW Volvo FL6-14/Emergency One FRT
2014 SF14KGK Scania P280/Emergency One RP
2020 July KY65OLU Volvo FL/Emergency One RP

 T513ASW    Mercedes 815 Atego/Hinds of Carlisle a Fire Safety Exhibition Unit is kept in Bay 2. 10/9/2016 this motor is no longer at Lockerbie.


1941 to 1948 National Fire Service
1948 to 1975 South Western Area Fire Brigade
1975 to 2005 Dumfries and Galloway Fire Brigade
2005 to 31/3/2013 Dumfries and Galloway Fire and Rescue Service
1/4/2013 Scottish Fire and Rescue Service



A hose cart, helmets and axes were the only equipment needed by the Lockerbie Fire brigade in the last years of the nineteenth century, but many towns were not so well equipped even in the twentieth century.




The South Western Fire Area Administration Scheme Order, 1948

  Equipment Retained
  1 Large Trailer pump 1 Leading Fireman
  1 Light Trailer pump 9 Firemen
  1 Towing Vehicle  


The South Western Fire Area Administration Scheme Order, 1957

  Equipment Retained
  2 Pump Appliances 1 Sub Officer
    1 Leading Fireman
    8 Firemen



  Equipment Retained
  1 Water Tender Ladder 1 Sub Officer
    1 Leading Firefighter
    8 Firefighters



  Equipment Retained
  1 Water Tender Ladder 1 Watch Manager
    2 Crew Managers
    9 Firefighters





Awards – and a new station – for fireman 

Lockerbie fireman proudly showed off their brand new fire station yesterday morning.
They lined up for special guests who were invited to the official opening ceremony performed by Councillor Russell Brown chairman of the region’s public protection committee.
The old fire station was built around 1936 as an annexe to the building used by Lockerbie Town Council.
Now the new fire station provides up to date facilities which include a spacious drill yard with drill tower, two appliance bays and ancilliary accommodation.
The station is manned by 10 retained personnel under the leadership of a Sub Officer, providing fire cover in the community 24 hours a day, 365 days per year. They respond to approximately 150 turnouts per year, many of which are road traffic accident on the busy A74.
During the ceremony, Employers Certificates of Appreciation and Fire Brigade Long Service and Good Conduct Medals were presented.
Medals were presented to Divisional Officer Gallagher; Retained Sub Officer McColm; Retained Fireman Wismach; Retained Fireman Galbraith; Retained Fireman McCleary; Retained Fireman Saville; Retained Fireman Maxwell; Retained Fireman McCarton; Retained Fireman Bryden; Retained Fireman Lawrie.
<PHOTO> Our picture shows the men who were presented with medals with Firemaster Barry Stiff. Lockerbie firemen are lined up on both sides.
(Dumfries and Galloway Standard, 1 March, 1991. Page 14)




If you know of any mistakes in this or have any additional information please let me know.


MAIN INDEX                         1975 INDEX                         DUMFRIES & GALLOWAY INDEX                    SFRS WEST SDA STATIONS