B6 NEWTON STEWART
2 Pumps, 1 Incident Support Unit, Retained
|1930/40's||Queen Street, NEWTON STEWART.|
|1944 to 1966||Princess Avenue, NEWTON STEWART.|
|26/5/1966||Arthur Street, NEWTON STEWART. DG8 6DE. Photo|
Arthur Street operational February 1966, official opening 26/5/1966.
|1960||Sub Officer W. McCreadie (Bill) (there in 1966)|
|1971||Sub Officer Donald McKie|
|1986||Station Officer W Marr|
|2010||Watch Manager Tom Howatson (there 2006)|
|2016||Watch Manager Roy McClymont|
|1930/40's||Ford Pilot and Trailer Pump|
|1970||SAG984J||Bedford TKEL/HCB Angus Type B||WrT received new|
|1973||DAG332L||Land Rover 108/SWAFB||BA/RT|
|TCS749||Bedford TK/HCB Angus||WrT|
|B867LSW||Dodge G13/Mountain Range||WrL/ET|
|E682WSW||Dodge G08/excalibur CBK||C/FRT|
|K53TSM||Scania 93M-210/Emergency One||FRT|
|K54TSM||Scania 93M-210/Emergency One||FRT|
|L281VSW||Renault B110 Turbo/DGFB||ISU|
|SD53AEK||Ford Ranger 4x4/Truckman||L4V|
|SJ05GXF||DAF LF55/TVAC Plastisol||FRT|
|SA06TYF||DAF LF55/TVAC Plastisol||FRT|
|FT-11||Ifor Williams 2 Axle/Anderson||Decontam Unit|
|SF59CYT||Scania P270/Emergency One||FRT|
|SF10GVU||Scania P270/Emergency One||FFRT|
|PX13ODN||Land Rover Safari||L4V|
The Ford Ranger tows the Decontamination Trailer FT08.
The Land Rover tows the Eurocraft RIB
FFRT Fire and Flood Rescue Tender
|1941 to 1948||National Fire Service|
|1948 to 1975||South Western Area Fire Brigade|
|1975 to 2005||Dumfries and Galloway Fire Brigade|
|2005 to 31/3/2013||Dumfries and Galloway Fire and Rescue Service|
|1/4/2013||Scottish Fire and Rescue Service|
Up until 1988 the Officer in Charge of a two pump retained station was a Station Officer. After 1988 anyone who became the Officer in Charge had the rank of Sub Officer.
1999 Station received a new pitched and tiled roof.
ALL PRESENT AND
SIR FOR THE NEW OPENING
<PHOTO> Crew lined up in front of appliance in front of station.
Newton Stewartís new Fire Station in Arthur Street was officially opened on Thursday night when officials for the South Western Area attended. Pictured above at their new premises are the members of the twenty strong local Fire Brigade with their Station Fire Chief, Mr Bill McCreadie. Work on the new two pump station was started over a year ago, but it has been operational since February of this year. This is a well designed station, complete with hose tower which has a dual purpose; one section is used for drying off hoses while the firemen use the other part for training exercises.
(The Galloway Gazette, Saturday, May 28, 1966. Page 5)
Newton Stewart Fire Station Opened
TRIBUTE TO EFFICIENT AND EXPERIENCED UNIT
The inauguration of Newton Stewartís new Fire Station in Arthur Street took
place on Thursday night when officials from the South Western Fire Area Joint
Board were present along with representatives of Newton Stewart Town Council.
The members of the twenty strong local Fire Brigade with their Station Officer,
Mr Bill McCreadie, also attended.
The guests included Bailie James McCallie, Kilmarnock, chairman of the South Western Fire Area Joint Board; Mr Fraser Ballantyne, Divisional Officer, Ayr; Mr Philip Morrison, Deputy Firemaster from Headquarters, Ayr; Mr Fraser Wilson, Clerk of the Board, Ayr; Mr J Sutherland and Mr Ian Smith of Messrs Sutherland & Dickie, Architects, Dumfries. Apologies for absence were intimated on behalf of Mr H. R. MacKay, Firemaster, Ayr, and H. M. Inspector Mr A. D. Wilson, Edinburgh.
Also present were Mr D. T. Wright, Auchleach, Ardwell, and Councillor A. N. Walker, Newton Stewart, County Council and Town Council representatives respectively on the South Western Fire Area Joint Board; Provost R. L. Paterson, Bailie J. C. Neil, Bailie A. Merrilees , Mr R McInnes Wilson, Joint Town Clerk, Newton Stewart, and Police Inspector R Blakley.
The Guests were first shown over the premises and expressed themselves as
delighted with the new station. Work on the new two pump station was started
over a year ago, but it has been operational since February this year. The
station is manned by twenty part time retained personnel covering the Burghs of
Newton Stewart and Wigtown, and generally an area of approximately eleven miles
radius from Newton Stewart.
The station comprises three appliance bays, Control Room, Muster Room and Lecture Room for Firemen and the usual ancillary parts of the premises used for checking and repairing hose, breathing apparatus, etc. There is also a Utility Room for the washing of dirty uniforms and a Drying Room for the drying of clothing after fires. A spacious yard exists for the carrying out of drills and a 50ft. drill and hose drying tower which will be a great asset to the personnel in maintaining a high standard of training on the Station.
The construction of the engine room is concrete framed Bison with brick infilling and folding doors which ensure a speedy turn out of the appliances and return entry doors from the rear to enable the appliances to be washed down and replenished with dry hose under a 25ft. cantilever canopy.
The Administration sections of the building, adjacent to Arthur Street, are of traditional brick construction with flat bitumen covered roof and the internal walls are a mixture of granite stone, timber lined and painted plasterwork with tiles in the Ablution sections of the premises. Floors are, in the main, quarry tiles and wood blocks in the Watchroom and Lecture Room, with the Drill Yard surfaced mainly in bitumen.
MODERN AND PLEASING
The architects, Messrs Sutherland & Dickie of Dumfries, together with the
contractors, have combined to present a most modern Fire Station of pleasing
appearance and embodying all the internal features of a modern Fire Station,
which will serve the area for many years to come.
Having made an inspection of the premises, the guests and members of the Fire Brigade assembled in the Lecture Room where Bailie McCallie spoke of the pleasure it gave them to be present that evening and called on Councillor A. N. Walker, Newton Stewart, to inaugurate the new Station.
Councillor Walker said that the new Station was a far cry from the old utility wartime building in Princes Avenue erected by Wholetime personnel of the National Fire Service in 1944, and which was latterly proving inadequate to meet the requirements of a one pump station let alone the increased responsibilities now relating to Newton Stewart in its capacity as a two pump station.
During the time of the National Fire Service from 1941 to 1948 a fire station was in commission in Wigtown, and although this was disbanded after the war due to the difficulties encountered with regard to recruitment and other considerations, the South Western Fire Area Joint Board had nevertheless had the fire safety interests of the residents of that part of Wigtownshire very much in mind. Since the war the district previously served by Wigtown Fire Station had been covered largely by the Newton Stewart unit of the Brigade, and after a comprehensive review of the position in 1962 it was decided that this arrangement should be continued
In addition, in view of the gradual development over the years and the increased
fire cover commitments in the Newton Stewart area, it was also decided that
Newton Stewart should be upgraded to a two pump station with a complement of
twenty firemen instead of ten. He was pleased to say that one of the factors
which weighed heavily in support of this decision was the proven efficiency and
experience of this unit under the leadership of Station Officer McCreadie who
has served continuously with that Brigade since 1940.
In all matters relating to the erection of that station it was his pleasure to record that the Board had the utmost consideration and assistance from the members and officials of the Newton Stewart Town Council. This has been greatly appreciated and was typical of the interest which the Town Council had always taken in the welfare of the Fire Brigade. The close proximity of the new Police Station was perhaps most appropriate, not, he would hasten to assure them, because of any misgivings with regard to the morals and behaviour of that smart and, he was sure, well disciplined body of firemen, but because of the close liaison and happy relation which the South Western Area Fire Brigade had always maintained with the Dumfries and Galloway Police.
That fine new three bay fire station with its modern fire appliances and
equipment was one of the most up to date in the country. It was a credit to the
architect and to all associated with its erection and he was confident that the
experience, efficiency and enthusiasm of the members of that unit were such that
the residents of that district of Wigtownshire and West Kirkcudbrightshire could
rest assured of a very high standard of fire protection.
Provost R. L. Paterson, on behalf of Newton Stewart Town Council and district, said he would like to compliment the South Western Fire Area Joint Board on the magnificent building they had now got there and the fine body of men to man it. He knew most of them personally and he was quite sure they would be a credit to the Service. He thanked the Board for bringing it there and he hoped they would not have to use it too often.
Thereafter an excellent tea was served by members of the local Fire Brigade who were thanked by Bailie J. C. Neil.
Mr Fraser Wilson, Ayr, on behalf of the guests, said they had enjoyed coming down to Newton Stewart, and thanked Bailie McCallie for carrying out the duties of Chairman.
Baillie McCallie replied and conveyed to the Architects the Boardís appreciation of the magnificent job they had done.
(The Galloway Gazette, Saturday, June 4, 1966. Page 2)
- Subject to the approval of the Central Department it has been agreed to
purchase a small area of ground adjoining the Fire Station. The old appliance
room doors were no longer fit for service and have been replaced with folding
(The Firemasterís Annual Report for year ending 31/12/1958, Page 17)
- Four 2ĺ k.w. electric storage heaters were installed.
(The Firemasterís Annual Report for year ending 31/12/1959, Page 19)
- Approval was given to the acquisition of an area of ground adjacent to the
Fire Station, and this is now being levelled to form an extension of the drill
(The Firemasterís Annual Report for year ending 31/12/1960, Page 20)
- The area which is to form the extension to the drill yard has now been
levelled and will soon be ready for surfacing. This improvement in training
facilities should contribute to greater efficiency.
(The Firemasterís Annual Report for year ending 31/12/1961, Page 19)
- The modified fire cover arrangements for the County of Wigtown necessitate the
maintenance of a two-pump retained station at Newton-Stewart, and negotiations
are in hand with the County Planning Officer for the acquisition of a suitable
(The Firemasterís Annual Report for year ending 31/12/1962, Page 16)
- Site difficulties have prolonged deliberations on the erection of a new
two-pump station at Arthur Street, but these have now largely been overcome and
approval for the proposed work is now awaited.
(The Firemasterís Annual Report for year ending 31/12/1963, Page 18)
- Work on the new two-pump retained station is progressing satisfactorily.
(The Firemasterís Annual Report for year ending 31/12/1964, Page 16)
- The new two-pump station at Arthur Street has only just been completed and is
expected to become operational at an early date. This is a well designed
station, complete with hose tower, and should lead to an improvement in the
general standard of efficiency.
(The Firemasterís Annual Report for year ending 31/12/1965, Page 18)
- This new two-pump station was officially inspected on Thursday, 26th May,
1966, by Bailie James Macaulay, Chairman of the Board, Councillor A. N. Walker
and Mr. D. T. Wright, the Board representatives for Wigtown County Council, and
Provost R. L. Paterson and other members of Newton Stewart Town Council. The
Architect was represented at the ceremony together with Officials of the Board,
Newton Stewart Town Council and Durnfries and Galloway Constabulary.
This modern attractive station includes a 3-bay appliance room and a spacious drill yard complete with a 50 ft. drill and hose drying tower.
(The Firemasterís Annual Report for year ending 31/12/1966, Page 18)
- Most of the usual defects due to settlement of the building have been
rectified, but a few complaints have yet to receive the attention of the
(The Firemasterís Annual Report for year ending 31/12/1967, Page 18)
- Remedial work has been approved to eliminate the percolation of rain water
through the brick panels of the hose-drying tower. This work will be supervised
by the Architect for the station, Messrs. Sutherland, Dickie and Partners,
(The Firemasterís Annual Report for year ending 31/12/1968, Page 18)
- The hose drying tower has been treated externally for water percolation as
recommended by the Architect and it is hoped this will prove satisfactory.
(The Firemasterís Annual Report for year ending 31/12/1969, Page 17)
ĖExterior painterwork was carried out by station personnel and electrical
repairs by a local contractor.
(The Firemasterís Annual Report for year ending 31/12/1971, Page 19)
The South Western Fire Area Administration Scheme Order, 1948
|1 Large Trailer pump||1 Leading Fireman|
|1 Light Trailer pump||9 Firemen|
|1 Towing Vehicle|
The South Western Fire Area Administration Scheme Order, 1957
Equipment Retained 2 Pump Appliances 1 Sub Officer 1 Leading Fireman 8 Firemen
Equipment Retained 2 Water Tender Ladders 1 Sub Officer 1 Other Specialist Vehicle 2 Leading Firefighters 17 Firefighters
Equipment Retained 1 Water Tender Ladder 1 Watch Manager 1 Fire and Flood Rescue Tender 3 Crew Managers 1 Water Rescue Unit 16 Firefighters
If you know of any mistakes in this or have any additional information please let me know.
MAIN INDEX 1975 INDEX DUMFRIES & GALLOWAY INDEX