2 Pumps, 1 Aerial, 1 Major Rescue Vehicle Wholetime, 1 Pump Retained.
|Loreburn Street, DUMFRIES.|
|1925 to 1958||George Street, DUMFRIES. Photo of site|
|28/11/1958 to||Brooms Road, DUMFRIES. DG1 2DZ Photo|
Messing and dormitory accommodation was provided at requisitioned premises
belonging to the Loreburn 36 George Street.
George Street premises vacated 28/11/1959. Brooms Road Official Opening 28/11/1958.
|1923 to 1939||Firemaster William B. Thomson|
|1948 to 1975||South Western Area Firemasters|
|1975 to||Dumfries and Galloway Firemasters|
|?||GXN229||Austin K4L/Merryweather 60' Hand Operated||TL|
|1958||NYR127||Bedford SHZ/Home Office AFS||SP|
|1958||LCS147||Dennis F25/Dennis Type B with 45' alloy ladder||WrL received new|
|1969||NCS142G||Bedford TJ4L/HCB Angus Type B||WrT received new|
|1970||SAG982J||Bedford TKEL/HCB Angus Type B||WrT/L received new|
|1971||TSD310J||Land Rover 108/SWAFB BA/Radio/Accident van||received new|
|1973||RCS7M||Bedford TKEL/Jag 4.2/HCB Angus||WrT|
|1974||TSD404N||Bedford TKEL/Jag 4.2/HCB Angus||WrT/L|
|1974||HSJ451N||Bedford TKEL/Jag 4.2/HCB Angus||WrT|
|BAT||Retained||Major Rescue Vehicle||Prime Mover||Welfare Unit|
|GXN229||Austin K4L/Merryweather 60' Hand Operated||TL|
|LCS147||Dennis F25/Dennis Type B with 45' alloy ladder||WrL received new|
|NYR127||Bedford SHZ/Home Office AFS||SP|
|TSD310J||Land Rover 108/SWAFB BA/Radio/Accident van||Received new 1971|
|NSW277M||Bedford VAS2/Binnie of Wishaw/DGFB||BAT (Converted Library Van to Fire Brigade 1987)|
|RCS7M||Bedford TKEL/Jag 4.2/HCB Angus||WrT|
|HSJ451N||Bedford TKEL/Jag 4.2/HCB Angus||WrT (was jump crewed)|
|TSD404N||Bedford TKEL/Jag 4.2/HCB Angus||WrT/L|
|PSM981S||Dodge K1113/HCB Angus||WrT|
|RSM721S||Dodge K1113/HCB Angus||WrT|
|VSM823V||Dodge K1617/HCB Angus||WrL|
|C745OSW||Dodge S66/Angloco/Penman(BAT)||CIU/ST then BAT|
|E690WSW||Dodge G08/Scott||CU then ICU|
|H246KSM||Scania G93M-210/Emergency One||WrT|
|H466JSW||Scania G93M-210/Emergency One||WrL|
|H467JSW||Scania G93M-210/Emergency One||WrL|
|L279VSW||Renault B110 Turbo/DGFB||ISU|
|R429RSW||Scania P94D-220/Emergency One||FRT|
|R430RSW||ScaniaP 94D-220/Emergency One||FRT|
|W523OSW||Volvo FL6-14/Emergency One||MRV|
|Y127WSM||Volvo FL6H/Emergency One||FRT|
|Y128WSM||Volvo FL6H/Emergency One||FRT|
|SG52XXD||Volvo FL6H-220/Emergency One||FRT|
|SF03MPX||Scania 94D- /Emergency One||HRU (ex Easterhouse)|
|SG53GWC||Volvo FL6H-220/Emergency One||FRT|
|WX54VWD||MAN TG-A 26-363 FDLRC 6x4/Marshall SV (PM 205)||PM for New Dimension Pods|
|SJ05GXF||DAF LF55/TVAC Plastisol||FRT|
|SA06TYD||DAF LF55/TVAC Plastisol||FRT|
|SJ57HMA||Volvo FM9/GB Fire/Magirus Multistar||ART|
|SF08AFJ||Scania P310 CP14 6x2 RS/JDC/Vema 282ARP MKIII||ARP|
|SK09PPV||Ford Transit 115 T350 LWB HR/Cebotec||Welfare Unit|
|SG59CYT||Scania P270/Emergency One||FRT|
|SG10CRF||Mercedes Atego 818/Cebotec||CU|
|SF14KGE||Scania P280/Emergency One||RP|
|KN64RVO||Volvo FLL290/Emergency One||RP|
There are 3 trailers kept on station
Ifor Williams 2 Axle/Anderson
Ifor Williams 2 Axle/Anderson
Ifor Williams 2 Axle/Anderson
Pods 2010 USAR SCO02 on station. ENV SCO02, MDS SCO02 at shed at Workshops.
|? to 1941||Dumfries and Maxwelltown Fire Brigade|
|1941 to 1948||National Fire Service|
|1948 to 1975||South Western Area Fire Brigade|
|1975 to 2005||Dumfries and Galloway Fire Brigade|
|2005 to 31/3/2013||Dumfries and Galloway Fire and Rescue Service|
|1/4/2013||Scottish Fire and Rescue Service|
Fires were frequent and caused much damage to Friar's Vennel in 1701. Not
till 1724 did the town possess a "water engine" for use on such occasions.
(History of Dumfries by William McDowall. Page 547.)
Chief of Dumfries Fire Brigade since 1923, and a former member of the Edinburgh
Fire Brigade, Mr. William B. Thomson is dead.
(Fire, May, 1939. page 268.)
The South Western Fire Area Administration Scheme Order, 1948
|1 Self propelled Pump||1 Company Officer||2 Leading Firemen|
|1 Turntable Ladder||2 Section Leaders||14 Firemen|
|1 Large Trailer pump||2 Leading Firemen|
|1 Light Trailer pump||16 Firemen and Watchroom atendants|
|1 Portable Power Pump|
|1 Towing Vehicle|
|1 Salvage Tender|
The South Western Fire Area Administration Scheme Order, 1957
|1 Turntable Ladder||1 Station Officer||1 Sub Officer|
|4 Pump Appliances||2 Sub Officers||2 Leading Firemen|
|1 Other Operational Vehicle||2 Leading Firemen||13 Firemen|
|16 Firemen and Watchroom Attendants|
|3 Water Tender Ladders||4 Station Officers||1 Sub Officer|
|1 Aerial Ladder Platform||4 Sub Officers||2 Leading Firefighters|
|1 Control Unit||12 Leading Firefighters||10 Firefighters|
|1 Major Rescue Vehicle||52 Firefighters|
|1 Combined Aerial Rescue Pump||4 Watch Manager B||1 Watch Manager A|
|2 Fire Rescue Pumps||12 Crew Managers||? Crew Managers|
|1 Control Unit||52 Firefighters||? Firefighters|
|1 Major Rescue Vehicle|
|1 Prime Mover|
Wholetime Firefighters operate a four watch system. (2 days, 2 nights, 4 off. Red, Blue, Green and White.)
An Urban Search and Rescue Unit (USAR) was received under the New Dimension programme and is crewed by the retained unit.
NEW FIRE STATION
Divisional Headquarters Opened At Dumfries
Sir John Crabbe Performs Ceremony
The new Dumfries Fire
Station built in Brooms Road by the South Western Fire Area Joint Board, at a
cost of £45,000, was officially opened yesterday afternoon by Sir John Crabbe,
of Duncow, H. M. Lieutenant for Dumfriesshire and convenor of the county. Sir
John was deputising at short notice for Provost George J. McDowall, Dumfries,
who is unfortunately indisposed.
At the opening ceremony, which took place in the Appliance Room of the Fire Station, the chair was taken by Mr Robert MacInnes, Beith, vice-chairman of the South Western Fire Area Joint Board who was taking the place of Board’s chairman, Treasurer M. A. S Hamilton, who is also indisposed.
Mr MacInnes was accompanied by Sir John Crabbe, Mr A. F. C. Clark, assistant secretary, Scottish Home Department; Mr H. R. Mackay, area Firemaster, Kilmarnock; Mr I M’Caig, county clerk, Ayr; Mr J. Sutherland, Dumfries, the architect for the new Fire Station; and the Rev J. L. Mangles Troqueer Church, Dumfries who dedicated the building.
Fruits of Development
The chairman welcomed
the members of the public present, and intimated apologies for absence from
Treasurer Hamilton and Provost McDowall. After referring to the pleasure it gave
the Area Joint Board to have Sir John Crabbe to perform the opening ceremony, Mr
MacInnes said that the splendid new fire station was one of the fruits of
firefighting development which had taken place in recent years.
Sir John Crabbe said that late the previous night, on returning from receiving a cup from the management of the Regal Cinema for civil defence, he had been informed on the telephone that Provost McDowall was indisposed and asked to open the fire station in his stead.
He supposed he must have been contemplating what he would say since he had dreamt that, during the ceremony, the fire alarm went, and that the firemen had dashed away with their appliance to the seat of a real fire. What had struck him at the time was what a practical and spectacular opening that would have made.
Glamour of the Engine
Referring to the
interesting brochure giving details of the new fire station, copies of which had
been circulated to those present, Sir John said that he noticed that there was
now no mention of “fire engine” and that the word “appliance” had now been
He was sorry about that, because the old fire engine, whether it was pulled by horses or by a motor, had a great glamour attached to it. Everyone invariably dashed to the window when they heard the clanging of the fire bell, to see the fire engine dash past with its crew clinging on like limpets.
He regretted that the words “fire engine” had sunk into oblivion, and that the word “appliance,” which could be applied to anything and everything, had taken their place.
Costly and Dangerous
Fires, went on Sir
John, were not only terrifying, but were most costly to the nation, as the
published list of fires each month showed. They would, however be far more
costly and dangerous were it not for the leadership of the firemasters, the
skill and bravery of the fireman, and the modern appliances with which they were
Something else which was not fully appreciated was that the firemasters and their staff were always inspecting factories and public buildings of all sorts, and giving advice on their safety.
Dumfries concluded Sir John Crabbe, “has now a central fire station worthy of the Royal Burgh, and since it has been erected on an ideal site with easy access to most of the landward area, everybody should be pleased.
Sir John was thanked on the call of the chairman.
Mr Clark expressed
congratulations to the South Western Fire Area Joint Board, on behalf of the
Scottish Home Department, on the erection of the new fire station. The station,
he said, would be a valuable addition to the firefighting resources of both the
burgh of Dumfries and the three southern counties of Dumfries and Galloway.
They in the Home Department knew only too well that that day’s opening ceremony was the culmination of a long and sometimes weary journey. Economic circumstances had delayed that interesting piece of capital investment as they had other pieces of capital investment throughout of the country.
Rev Mr Mangles then offered a prayer of dedication.
Alarm Bell Rung
Mr Sutherland thanked
the contractors for their support and help, and paid a glowing tribute to
Firemaster Mackay for all interest he had taken throughout all the stages of the
building of the new fire station.
Sir John Crabbe was then conducted to the control room, where he rang an alarm bell to signify that the station was officially an operation. On this signal, firemen manned one of the appliances, and drove it out of the station.
The guests were thereafter conducted in parties round the premises, and, on completion of the inspection, were treated to a buffet tea in the lecture room.
The New Station
The new fire station has been built to replace the fire station erected in 1925 by the burgh of Dumfries. The old station was found to be inadequate for present day requirements as it could not house all the appliances attached to it. Consequently, vehicles and pumps had to be kept in the open, and messing and dormitory accommodation for the men had to be provided some distance away in the requisitioned premises belonging to the Loreburn Bridge Club at 36 George Street, Dumfries.
The station occupies
a prominent site extending to 1.74 acres in Brooms Road, at the junction with
Leafield Road, and is designed to accommodate three first line appliances, three
other vehicles, a whole-time staff of 22, and a part-time staff of 16, in
addition to auxiliary fire service personnel.
The station will be known as the Dumfries Fire Station and, as a divisional headquarters station, will serve the purpose of “parent” to all the 16 part time fire stations in Dumfriesshire, Kirkcudbrightshire and Wigtownshire.
The basic planning
requirements of a new whole-time fire station are simplicity of the plan and
correct layout of the operational units of the station so that the rapid
turnouts to calls can be made. This has been achieved in the new premises,
although it is unfortunate that the provision of a hose drying and drill tower
has been withheld because of the present restrictions on capital expenditure. It
is hoped, however, that approval will be given to incorporate this essential
part of the station at an early date.
(Dumfries and Galloway Standard, 29 November, 1958. Page 15)
If you know of any mistakes in this or have any additional information please let me know.
MAIN INDEX 1975 INDEX DUMFRIES & GALLOWAY INDEX