2 Pump Retained.
|? to 1978||? Photo|
|24/8/1978||Millgate, CUPAR. KY15 5EE. Photo|
|October 2012||Large Shed at Elmwood College on Carslogie Road|
|28/8/2013||Millgate, CUPAR. KY15 5EE refurbished|
|? to 1941||Firemaster Robert Bett|
|1948 to 1955||Sub Officer Robert Bett|
|? to ?||Station Officer J Latto|
|? to ?||Station Officer A Carmichael|
|? to ?||Station Officer D Young|
|? to 1986||Station Officer M Smith|
|1986 to 2002||Station Officer George Laing|
|2002 to||Station Officer Mark Cook (Still there 2016)|
Steam Pumping Engine
Petrol Driven Engine
|1953||LFG176||Commer QX/HCB Angus||WrT(A)|
|EFS591S||Dodge K1113/HCB Angus||WrT|
|ASG997W||Dodge G1313/HCB Angus||WrLR|
|C104VSC||Dodge G1313/Fulton and Wylie||WrLR|
|T410BSH||Volvo FL6-14/Emergency One||WrL/R|
|T469BSH||Volvo FL6-14/Emergency One||WrL/R|
|SK04BJX||Volvo FL6H/Emergency One||WrL/R|
|SV10GVC||Volvo FL15/Emergency One||WrL/R|
|SV10GVD||Volvo FL15/Emergency One||WrL/R|
|1880 to 1941||Cupar Fire Brigade|
|1941 to 1948||National Fire Service|
|1948 to 1975||Fife Fire Brigade|
|1975 to 1985||Fife Fire Brigade|
|1985 to 2013||Fife Fire and Rescue Service|
|1/4/2013||Scottish Fire and Rescue Service|
The Cupar Fire Brigade was administered by the Cupar Area Joint Fire Brigade Committee. (1941)
Retiral Gift at Cupar
Mr Thomas Smith, who recently retired from office as Deputy
Firemaster in Cupar, was honoured last night by colleagues and members of Cupar
Area Joint Fire Brigade.
Councillor A. M. Duncan, chairman of the joint committee, mentioned that Mr Smith had given 53 years' service . He called upon Firemaster Robert Bett to hand over a gift of a chiming clock.
(The Courier and Advertiser, Wednesday, July 9, 1941. page 2.)
NEWS IN SHORT
Hitherto on a retained basis, Cupar’s Firemaster, Mr. R.Bett, has been placed on the professional establishment of the brigade.
(Fire, December, 1940. page 118.)
The retirement is announced of
Mr Robert Bett. Mr Bett was Firemaster of Cupar, Fife, at the time of the
nationalisation of the Fire Service during the last war. Since 1948 Mr Bett has
held the rank of Retained Sub Officer in Fife Fire Brigade. He recently
celebrated his 70 birthday.
(Fire magazine, April 1955.)
Cupar, being the County town of the Kingdom of Fife, has always been to
the fore in showing an example, and not least in the field of firefighting.
Records show that as early as 1880, Cupar had a volunteer Fire Brigade which was equipped with a barrow containing water buckets, hose and branches. This volunteer Fire Brigade existed for a number of years and did some sterling work for the County seat. Further progress came when insurance Companies started taking an interest in firefighting when they provided equipment and paid men on a retained basis to answer fire calls.
Then we had the ludicrous situation of fire crews returning home without fighting a fire because the company was not insured. To overcome this situation, Local Authorities took over control of Fire Brigades and they became much more efficient units and were supplied with modern equipment.
Cupar received their first steam pumping engine in 1916 and had a retained or part-time crew who were paid 1/6d when they answered a call, and in an effort to speed up attendance, the first man at the Engine House received 2/6d.
With the introduction of the petrol engine, fire engines were further modernised and Cupar received the first petrol driven fire engine, equipped with pneumatic tyres, in 1929. This arrangement was in existence until the 2nd World War, when Cupar was absorbed into the National Fire Service, a situation which was to continue until 1947, when Fire Brigades were returned to Local authorities under the control of the Fife Fire Area Joint Committee, which became the Police and Fire Committee on regionalisation.
Progress and a forward looking Committee are responsible for this ceremony today and you can see a very modern Fire Station with all the required amenities and also provided with two of the modern fire appliances, stocked with up to date equipment.
(From and article given to me by Ken Reid)
Cupar had a call sign of B4 in Fife Fire and Rescue Service, this was changed to N27, the new National Call Sign, when Thornton Control closed on 30/3/2016.
The Fife Fire Area Administration Scheme Order, 1948
|1 Towing Vehicle & Major Trailer Pump||1 Section Leader|
|1 Water Tender & Light Trailer Pump||2 Leading Firemen|
1 Light Trailer Pump
2 Water Tender Ladders
1 Station Officer
1 Sub Officer
2 Leading Firefighters
Wednesday 28th August 2013
Programme of Events
1815 – Arrival of Guests
1830 – Introduction/Domestics
Station Manager S Thomson - Scottish Fire and Rescue Service(SFRS)
1845 – Chair of Fire and Rescue Transitional Committee (FRTC)
Councillor Neil Crooks
1900 – Re-Opening of Cupar Fire Station
Chief Officer Alasdair Hay (SFRS)
1915 – Station Tour
1930 – Buffet/Refreshments
Note –The above stated times are for guidance purposes only and may subject to change.
If you know of any mistakes in this or have any additional information please let me know.
MAIN INDEX 1975 INDEX FIFE FIRE & RESCUE INDEX