S04 PORT GLASGOW

1 Pump Wholetime, 1 Pump Retained.

Stations

 

1787 Timber Shed at the Head of the Dock
1832/33 to 1836/37 Engine House Head Of Mid Quay
1906 Refuse Destructor
about 1920's Harbour Master's Office
1920 to 1931 Steele & Johnstone's Garage Queen Street
??/?/?? to 7/7/1969 Anderson Street                                                                                                  Photo
7/7/1969 East Bay,  Port Glasgow,  PA14 5NF (Official Opening 1/10/1969)              Photo

 

1940 AFS station in Anderson Street
1942 NFS station in Anderson Street
1942 NFS hut & garage on shore opposite Gas Works
1942 NFS prefabricated hut & garage in Woodhall Terrace

 

Firemasters

1787 to 1801? Hugh McMurtrie (Overseer of the Fire Engines)
? to 1817 John Anderson
1817 to Mr Frazer
1832/33 to 1840 Captain Daniel Ritchie
1848 to 1860 John McLaggan
1860 to Mr McCammond
1877 to 1904 Superintendant John Lambie
1904 to 6/5/1907 Firemaster John Smith
6/5/1907 to Firemaster William Lambie
1911 to 1914 Firemaster William Scott
1914 to 1931 Firemaster Barclay
? Column Officer Reid
         to 1963 Station Officer Eric Crilley
1963 to 1975 Station Officer James McCallum
1975 to 1981 Station Officer Ian Kelly
1981 to 1984 Station Officer Tommy Faulds
1985 to 1989? Station Officer Peter Kelmam
1990? Station Officer Bill Coyle
? to 31/12/1992 Station Officer Tommy Trotter
1/1/1993 Rider Station Officer's
1/1/1993 to 30/9/2005 Assistant Divisional Officer Dave Adam (Greenock Sector Officer)
30/9/2005 to Station Manager 'A' John Divers

 

 

 

 

Appliances

1787 Fire Engines
1831 2 Large Engines and 1 Small Engine
1834/35 Water Engines and other apparatus
1847 2 Engines
1899 1 Hose Carriage and 1 Hand Hose Barrow
? to 1912 2 wheeled hose carriage
1912 to 1920 2 wheeled hose carriage
1920 to 1931 Motor Fire Engine with 35' ladder
  Wholetime Retained
Anderson Street    
WWII GGN788  
1954 GHS350 GLE934
1963 GHS350 NHS196
1971 YHS151H MHS162
Sixties GHS350 DGE657
Bay Street    
1975 YHS151H MHS162
1976 KGA483N MHS162
1978 KGA483N KHS842
1980 KGA483N UHS814G
  VGG407R ?
1981 OGD70V ?
1983 UGA405W KGA483N
1989 LGD625Y XUS188S
1991 LGD631Y OGD76V
1992 J164JUS OGD76V
1993 J164JUS E144XDS
1995 N831JSU E144XDS
1999 N831JSU F182FHS
2003 J165GUS F182FHS
2004 SF53POV F182FHS
2004 SF53POV R943HYS
2010 November SF10GWE R943HYS
2016 Sept SF10GWE SF03OMU

 

 

GGN788 Austin K4/Home Office ECU
GLE934 Austin K4/Tange 6" SP
DGE657 Austin/Leyland Pump Heavy Pumping Unit
GHS350 Dennis F12//Dennis (Merryweather Wooden Ladder) PE
MHS162 Dennis F8/Dennis MP
YHS151H Dennis F108/Dennis (Merryweather Metal Ladder) WrE
UHS814G Dennis F108/Dennis WrL
KGA483N Dodge K850/Fulton & Wylie WrL
VGG407R Dodge K1113/Fulton & Wylie WrL
XUS188S Dodge K1113/Fulton & Wylie WrL
OGD70V Bedford TKEL/HCB Angus CSV/F & W WrL
UGA405W Bedford TKEL/HCB Angus CSV/F & W WrL
LGD625Y Bedford TKEL/F & W Fire Warrior 1 WrL
LGD631Y Bedford TKEL/F & W Fire Warrior 1 WrL
E144XDS Scania G82M/Fulton & Wylie WrL
F182FHS Scania G82M/Angloco WrL
J164JUS Scania G93M-210/Emergency One WrL
J165GUS Scania G93M-210/Emergency One WrL
N831JSU Scania G93M-220/Emergency One WrL
R943HYS Scania 94D-220/Emergency One RPL  (retro fit)
SF03OMU Scania 94D-260/Saxon  (CCTV) RPL
SF53POV Scania 94D-260/Saxon RPL
SF10GWE Scania P280/JDC/Poly Bilt RPL

Notes

1787 to 1931 Port Glasgow Fire Brigade (Disbanded 31/12/1932)
1932 to 1941 Greenock Fire Brigade provided cover
1941 to 1948 National Fire Service
1948 to 1975 Western Area Fire Brigade
1975 to 2005 Strathclyde Fire Brigade
2005 to Strathclyde Fire and Rescue (Name change only.)

In 1847 the Gourock Ropework Company had a fire engine.

 

Extracts from Port Glasgow Town Council Minutes 1787 to 1914 (320KB)

 

‘Port’ Firemen Made a New Station Out of a Stable 

Port Glasgow fire station in Anderson Street, a former stable which was acquired as a temporary building about 1939, is today one of the mot comfortable and compact in the West of Scotland—due entirely to the efforts of the Brigade’s 21 Whole-time and 10 part-time members.
At the beginning of the war when it was decided that Port Glasgow should have a fire brigade of its own, there was a possibility of building a station.
A stable in Anderson Street was acquired and the brigade moved in. Today, however, all signs of the stable have been eliminated.
In off-duty periods and when there were no fires to fight, when training and fire fighting gear had been brought up to regulation standard, the staff set about brightening up and improving their station.
Firemen, who had formerly been tradesmen, rallied round. Through their efforts, and those of the station’s handymen, changes at the station during the past few years have been quite amazing to those who can remember the building as it was formerly used.

GLAZED BRICK

The new garage which houses the ‘Port’ unit’s two machines was formerly a flat roofed whitewashed brick building which neither appealed to the eye nor fulfilled any very useful purpose.
Now it has become a handsome glazed brick building with a tiled floor and an all glass roof—and all the conversion work, with the exception of the laying of the tiles, was done by firemen.
What was once a hay loft has now been made into a comfortable dormitory (complete with television) while another part of the loft houses the unit’s recreation room.
At the moment many jobs are still under way. The biggest them is the construction of officers sleeping quarters, in the loft of another part of the main building. Joists have been floored and the “handymen firefighters” are planning to knock down part of the roof and fit a dormer window.

COST—£500

Naturally financial assistance was required when the ‘Port’ unit set about improving their station. A grant of £500 was made by fire brigade headquarters—but surely never before was this sum made to do so many jobs. The ‘Port’ fir men were careful to make the cash go as far as possible.
Always they were on the look out for bargains. And sometimes they were lucky.
The roof of the garage was once part of a pavilion which stood in grounds of a large Skelmorlie house. The owner gave it to the firemen on the condition that they would be responsible for its stripping and transportation.
Shipbreaking yards have also been visited and today part of a ship’s mast supports the roof of the dormitory. A ship’s companionway makes a sturdy staircase.
Among other bargains which have been picked up is the unit’s billiard table. This was bought for £10. When a representative of its Glasgow makers was overhauling it some time ago, he estimated that it was worth more than £150—despite the fact that the table must be nearing its 100th birthday.

CO-OPERATION

With the arrival of better weather and lighter nights station improvements are going ahead at steady rate, though the pace is expected to slacken as summer brings its usual spate of heath fires. Already the ‘Port’ unit has had more calls during the first four months of the year than it had during the same time last year. And that was an all time record.
Station Officer E. Crilley, commenting on the improvements which have been carried out at the fire station, said that none of it would have been possible but for the co-operation of his staff of twenty one who had made a very fine job of everything they had tackled.
Footnote. It is estimated that Greenock Fire Brigade’s new station which is to be built near Charing Cross will cost in the region of £73,000.
(The Greenock Telegraph, Tuesday, 5 June, 1956. Page 6.)

 

'Port's' new fire station is now operational

Port Glasgow's new fire station at East Bay Industrial Estate became operational yesterday. A three bay station, it replaces the brigade's old premises in Anderson Street.
Facilities in the new building include a hose and drill tower and a breathing apparatus chamber.
"It's a tremendous improvement over the premises from which we have had to operate for so many years," said Mr R. Herbert, Western Area Firemaster.
SEPTEMBER OPENING
The new station will, it is anticipated, be officially opened by Mr Joseph Hartil, former firemaster, late in September or early in October.
To mark the occasion, a trophy or plaque will be presented by the Town Council. Arrangements for this have been left in the hands of Provost Alex. MacLean and Hon. Treasurer Andrew Ballantyne.
Among the advantages of the new station are vastly improved catering and recreational facilities.
LONG OVERDUE
In addition to its retained unit, under the charge of Station Officer James McCallum, the service'' has 23 personnel on which to draw.
Mr Herbert described the new premises as "something which is long overdue in Port Glasgow, and which is in keeping with the standard of other stations throughout the county."
(Greenock Telegraph, 8th July, 1969 Page 7)

Plaque is unveiled at 'Port's' new fire station

<PHOTO> Mr Joseph Hartil unveils a commemorative plaque at Port Glasgow's new Fire Station. Watching are Dr. J.W.Macfarlane and (right) Provost Alex Maclean of Port Glasgow.
Port Glasgow's new Fire Station was officially opened yesterday afternoon when the Commandant of the Scottish Fire Service Training School, Mr. Joseph Hartil, unveiled a plaque at the station.
Chairman of the Western Fire Area Joint Committee and Convener of the County, Dr. J.W.Macfarlane, said: "This is the 14th station to open in the Western Area since 1948, and the ninth since 1964. This is a great feat."
Mr. Hartil, former Area Firemaster, said: "Now is the time to get down to the task of preventing fires in Scotland. More than 800 lives are lost through fire every year, and there is a loss of over £1,000,000."
"We firemen," he added, "have reached a standard today to enjoy the respect of the public."
SERVICE MEDALS
Rev. Peter M.Houston, the Brigade chaplain dedicated the new fire station.
Long Service awards were presented to: Divisional Officer J.McLaren, Paisley: Station Officer G.Boyack, Johnstone: Station Officer M.Mitchell, Paisley: Sub Officer C.Miller, Darnley: Leading Fireman W.Kemp, Lamlash: Fireman C.Hughie, Paisley: Fireman J.Henderson, Greenock and Fireman R.Lloyd, Greenock.
At the finish of the official opening, firemen gave a display of rescuing a man from a burning tower using their Snorkel.
(Greenock Telegraph, Thursday 2nd October, 1969 Page 8)

FIFTY YEARS OF

PORT GLASGOW FIRE STATION

1939-1989

Prior to the outbreak of World War II, there was a considerable lack of uniformity about the nations fire defences. There were professional and partly professional Brigades: Police Brigades; Fire/Ambulance Brigades; Insurance Brigades; Works Brigades; and Brigades maintained by private individuals. Some were wholly volunteer, some part-time, and some manned on a full-time basis.
In Renfrewshire there were originally five separate Fire Brigades, namely, Greenock, Paisley, Gourock, East Renfrewshire and West Renfrewshire.
At the commencement of World War II, The Fire Service was nationalised. In 1941 the five Renfrewshire Brigades were amalgamated into the substantial Western No.2 Area of the National Fire Service. This area comprised the seven counties of; Renfrew, Argyll, Ayr, Dumfries, Kirkubright, Wigton and Bute. Mr Robert Bowman, Firemaster of the Paisley Fire Brigade was appointed Fire Force Commander.
Port Glasgow's first established fire station was situated in Anderson Street (adjacent to the Port Glasgow Cleansing Dept/Esso garage). As the photograph shows, the men who served there had few training facilities and enjoyed little in the way of home comforts.
In 1947, the Fire Service was de-nationalised by Act of Parliament, and control passed to the Local Authorities. Western No.2 Area was disbanded, and Mr Bowman became firemaster of the newly-formed Western Area Fire Brigade. Under his jurisdiction came the counties of Renfrew, Argyll and Bute, and the large burgh towns of Paisley, Greenock and Port Glasgow.
During the fifties, the original Port Glasgow Fire Station was extended and refurbished. Legend has it that the fire authority purchased a glass conservatory roof from a mansion in Ayrshire, then transported it to the 'Port' where the firemen converted and built the two-bay appliance room (the appliance being the vehicle in Fire Service jargon). This Station was possibly the only one in history to feature a glass roof - not recommended for heat retention and unfortunately, rather attractive to small boys with catapults.
The photograph clearly shows the considerable building talents of the firemen of the day. Plans for Port Glasgow's next (and present) fire station were discussed at a meeting in 1967 with Mr Norman Buchan MP for West Renfrewshire, and Under-Secretary for State at the Scottish Office. At issue was a five year plan to replace fourteen stations throughout the Western Area.
Two years later, in October 1969, the Port Glasgow component of these plans came to fruition with official opening of an excellent three bay fire station by Mr J. Hartil, the Commandant of the Scottish Fire Service Training School, and a former Western Area firemaster. This handsome, well-appointed building, and the provision of modern equipment, brought Port Glasgow's fire fighting facilities up to date - a far cry from Anderson Street during World War II.
The Western Area Fire Brigade remained in existence until May 1975, when Regionalisation was introduced in Scotland, and Strathclyde Fire Brigade was formed. Its area was integrated within the new Brigades 'C' and 'F' Divisions. 'C' Division now comprises of the Districts of Inverclyde, Renfrew and Eastwood within Strathclyde Region.
Despite the decline of Port Glasgow's shipbuilding industry, its fire station, under the umbrella of Strathclyde Fire Brigade, has gone from strength to strength.
Tremendous advances have been made in the design of fire appliances and equipment. Hydraulic rescue gear and air powered lifting bags are provided for the rescue of persons from road accidents and industrial accidents. Fully-protective gas suits in conjunction with the latest positive-pressure compressed air breathing apparatus enable the firemen to work in toxic and corrosive atmospheres. Inflatable craft, emergency lighting generators, advanced foam-making equipment and two-way hand held radios are all available to the firemen of today. Just as modern technology has led to new hazards, so it has provided solutions by way of improvements in equipment.
Difficulties of incompatibility of equipment which plagued Brigades in the past have largely disappeared. Due to standardisation of hydrants and other equipment throughout the country, a present day fire appliance can operate effectively anywhere.
The people of Port Glasgow can be justifiably proud of their Fire Station and its history. Over these fifty years, many changes have taken place, but the dedication of the Fire Service to the protection of the public remains as strong today as in the past.
(An article in the Comet Festival programme by Mr James A. McCallum - former Station Officer, Port Glasgow Fire Brigade.)

Buchan Sees the Latest Firefighting Gear

Mr NORMAN BUCHAN, MP for West Renfrewshire, made his first visit to his constituency as Under Secretary of State at the Scottish Office yesterday.
His visit began at Renfrew Fire Station where he saw a demonstration of two new fire fighting machines which are to be delivered shortly to Greenock, the snorkel and the high expansion foam unit
At Port Glasgow Fire Station later in the afternoon, Mr Buchan inspected the station and discussed the plans for the new station with Firemaster Joseph Hartil and Divisional Officer James Ferrie They explained various points to him and said that they hoped to see work begin on the site adjacent to the new dual carriageway before the end of the year.
IMPRESSED
He told a Telegraph reporter that he was impressed with the way in which the station was kept. He had been told that within 25 seconds of an alarm the fire pump is on its way to the fire.
"I know the inadequacies of this station", he said when told by Station Officer James Mc Callum of the difficulties from parking near the station.
After a tour of the station with, Station Officer McCallum, Mr Buchan had a private talk with the firemen.
(A report published in The Greenock Telegraph 20/5/67.)

The Western Fire Area Administration Scheme Order, 1948

  Equipment Whole-time Retained
  1 Pump Escape 12 Company Officers 1 Leading Fireman
  1 Self-propelled pump 2 Section Leaders 9 Firemen
  1 Adapted towing car (Gen purpose) 2 Leading Firemen  
  1 Light Trailer Pump (Area reserve) 16 Firemen & Watch Room Attendants  

Establishment 2000

  Equipment Whole-time Retained
  2 Water Tender Ladders 4 Station Officer 1 Sub Officer
    4 Sub Officer 1 Leading Firefighter
    20 Firefighters 8 Firefighters

 

The Wholetime staff are splint over 4 Watches each consisting of 1 Stn O, 1 Sub O and 5Ffs.

Establishment 2016 July

  Equipment Whole-time Retained
  2 Rescue Pumps 5 Watch Manager 1 Watch Manager
    5 Crew Manager 1 Crew Manager
    15 Firefighters 8 Firefighters

The Wholetime staff are splint over 5 Groups each consisting of 1 WM,1 CM and 3 Ffs.

 

If you know of any mistakes or have any additions to this document please let me know.

 

MAIN INDEX                         1975 INDEX                         STRATHCLYDE INDEX