R11 MAYBOLE

1 Pump Retained.

 Stations

? to 28/11/1959 Ladyland Road, MAYBOLE.
18/1/1960 Wellington Street, MAYBOLE, KA19 7DL                Photo

Wellington street occupied November 1959. Ladyland Road vacated 28/11/1959.

Firemasters

? to 1940 Chief Officer John Wallace
1940 to ? Chief Officer A. G. McColm
1956 to 1969 Sub Officer David Connell
1969 to 1977 Sub Officer Joe Cosby
1977 to 1983 Sub Officer Willie Ferguson
1983 to 30/4/2004 Sub Officer Ian Wallace
1/5/2004 to 18/4/2016 Sub Officer James Davidson (Jim)
18/4/2016 to Temporary Watch Manager Jane McCulloch

 

Appliances

WWII CS8594 Van or Car and Trailer Pump  
  ?GUC11? Austin K2/Home Office HrT
1961 RCS113 Bedford J5SZ3/HCB WrT (Write off RTA)
1964 ACS628B Bedford J5/HCB Angus WrT (Replacement for RCS113)
1983 YGE822S Dodge K1113/CFE WrL
1991 G792NGD Volvo FL6-17/Fulton and Wylie WrL
1997 H93YUS Scania 93M-210/Fulton and Wylie WrL
2004 P935SGE Scania 93M-220/Emergency One RPL
2013 October SF54RRU Scania 94D-260/Saxon RPL

 

Notes

There is a photograph in Maybole Past and Present, Page 33 of CS8594 with seven Firemen standing it front of it Carrick Academy and one of ten Firemen standing in front of an Auxiliary Towing Vehicle and Trailer Pump.

Station became operational November 1959 and was officially opened on the 18th January, 1960.

The Rescue Pump Ladder went on the run on Monday 29th November 2004.

2012 Maybole became one of three station to receive equipment for Animal Rescue, the other two being Campbeltown and Lesmahagow, when the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service was formed the equipment was withdrawn. Animal Rescue Unit.

 

? Maybole Fire Brigade??
1941 to 1948 National Fire Service
1948 to 1975 South Western Area Fire Brigade
1975 to 2005 Strathclyde Fire Brigade
2005 to 2013 Strathclyde Fire & Rescue (Name change only.)
1/4/2013 to Scottish Fire and Rescue Service

 

ASKED TO RESIGN
Scots Firemenís Request to their Chief

Following a meeting, members of the Maybole Fire Brigade, a voluntary organisation in Ayrshire, called upon Mr. John Wallace, their chief officer, to resign on the grounds that his advancing years prevented him from showing efficient leadership. They added that they could no longer continue to serve under him.
Mr. Wallace then tendered his resignation to the council. This led to an inquiry by the fire brigade committee, which interviewed every member of the brigade separately, and found that, while prepared to admit that the action they had taken was wrong, the members still adhered to their decision not to continue to serve under Mr. Wallace.
In these circumstances, the council accepted the resignation and decided to send to Mr. Wallace a letter sincerely thanking him for his long and faithful service, and deploring the action which had led to his resignation and to his assertion that he was no longer willing to command the fire brigade.
(Fire magazine, September 1940, Page 70.)

The new chief officer of the Maybole Fire Brigade is Mr. A. G. McColm.
(Fire magazine, October 1940, Page 87.)

MAYBOLE - The owners of the present retained fire station wish to re-occupy it, but great difficulty is being expirienced in obtaining an alternative site.
(The Firemaster's Annual Report, year ending 31/12/1950, Page 6)

MAYBOLE - Consideration was given to the acquisition of a piece of land between Wellington Street and Ladyland Road for the purpose of erecting a new fire station, but it is now proposed to acquire ground adjoining the present premises.
(The Firemaster's Annual Report, year ending 31/12/1951, Page 18)

MAYBOLE - The new single bay station at Wellington Street came into operation during November and arrangements are being made to have an official opening in January, 1960. The station is of a very pleasing and compact design, and should be a valuable contribution towards the maintenance of a high standard of efficiency at Maybole. In this direction Maybole Town Council have been most co-operative and have discontinued the public car parking facilities in the immediate vicinity of the station.
The old premises at Ladyland Road were vacated on 28th November, 1959.
(The Firemaster's Annual Report, year ending 31/12/1959, Page 18)

MAYBOLE - The new single bay Station in Wellington Street was officially opened on Monday, 18th January, 1960, by provost John Dunlop, J.P., of Maybole. The opening ceremony was well attended by Members, Officials and Guests, and was presided over by Provost W. S. Lanham, the Chairman of the Board. The formal opening ceremony was followed by a short display given by the local firemen, and the company thereafter retired to the Town Buildings where they were kindly entertained to afternoon tea by Maybole Town Council.
The Station was designed by Messrs. Stevenson & Ferguson, Architects, Ayr, and is a fine example of a modern one bay Fire Station well equipped to maintain the traditions relating to the Capital of the Ancient Kingdom of Carrick.
(The Firemaster's Annual Report, year ending 31/12/1960, Page 19)

 

 

The South Western Fire Area Administration Scheme Order, 1948

 

 

Equipment

Retained

 

1 Large Trailer Pump

1 Leading Fireman

 

1 Light Trailer Pump

9 Firemen

 

1 Towing Vehicle

 

 

The South Western Fire Area Administration Scheme Order, 1957

 

 

Equipment

Retained

 

2 Pump Appliances

1 Sub Officer

 

 

1 Leading Fireman

 

 

8 Firemen

 

Establishment 2000

 

 

Equipment

Retained

 

1 Water Tender Ladder

1 Sub Officer

 

 

1 Leading Firefighter

 

 

8 Firefighters

 

 

Maybole Fire Station WEB site

MAIN INDEX                         1975 INDEX                         STRATHCLYDE INDEX