2 Pump Retained.
|to July 1961?||Lady Mary Row (opposite present station)|
|July 1961?||Lady Mary Row, CAMPBELTOWN, PA28 6HS. Photo|
Officer In Charge
|? to ?||Station Officer Neil Morrison|
|? to 30/6/1987||Station Officer J. Martin there 1971|
|1987 to ?||Station Officer Pete Simpson|
|<1998 to 16/5/2001||Station Officer J. Armour|
|June 2001 to||Station Officer Ronald Souden (Ronnie) (there 2014 now Watch Manager)|
1887 Manual Pump Horse drawn.
|2010||P940SGE||K662OSU (Spare) (664 main pump not worth repairing)|
|2010 Nov 9th||SF53YMA||P940SGE|
|KGE453N||Dodge K850/Fulton and Wylie||WrL|
|OYS145Y||Bedford KD/Fulton and Wylie Midi (Fire Witch)||WrL|
|OYS146Y||Bedford KD/Fulton and Wylie Midi (Fire Witch)||WrL|
|G536PGE||Scania 93M-210/Fulton and Wylie||WrL|
|K664OSU||Volvo FL6-18/Emergency One||WrL|
|K667OSU||Volvo FL6-18/Emergency One||WrL|
|N832JSU||Scania 93M-220/Emergency One||WrL|
|P940SGE||Scania 93M-220/Emergency One||RPL|
|1886 to 1941||Campbeltown Fire Brigade|
|1941 to 1948||National Fire Service|
|1948 to 1975||Western Area Fire Brigade|
|1975 to 2005||Strathclyde Fire Brigade|
|2005 to 31/3/2013||Strathclyde Fire and Rescue (Name change only)|
|1/4/2013 to||Scottish Fire and Rescue Service|
When the new call signs were being implemented in the WEST SDA over a 7 week period beginning 31/8/2020 doing 1 LSO Area per week, Campbeltown was changed from L16 to E29.
CAMPBELTOWN FIRE STATION F20 CENTENARY YEAR
In November 1886 Campbeltown Town Council first recruited men to form a
Volunteer Fire Brigade to serve the town. They recruited seven tradesmen, 3 joiners, 2
blacksmiths, 1 coppersmith and 1 slater. No mention in the records about equipment.
The Council then wrote to the Officer commanding 1st Argyll Highland Rifle Volunteers asking if Sergeant Instructor David Moore would be allowed to drill and train the Volunteer Firemen. Permission was given.
Next available records show that on Wednesday 22nd June 1887 the steamer Kinloch delivered a horse drawn hand fire pump to Campbeltown. This pump with all its necessary equipment cost £35.00 a bargain. It was bought from Greenock Town Council who had used it for several years for their own Fire Brigade. The pump was accompanied on ferry by Superintendent Taylor of the Greenock Fire Brigade. A demonstration of the appliance was given on the Quay by Mr Taylor. The results seemed to be more than satisfactory to the assembled Town Officials. It was stated at the time that the Fire Pump could also be used to fill the town Water Carts with sea water in the Summer when fresh water was "in short supply". This was at a time when Campbeltown had a thriving Whisky industry more than 30 stills in operation. The present Fire Station is built on the site of one of these old distilleries (no samples left). The volunteer firemen of those days were paid the sum of three shillings on each occasion they turned out for training.
In 1939 Campbeltown became part of the National Fire Service and so remained until 1948. From 1948 until the formation of Strathclyde, they were part of the Western Area Fire Brigade.
F20. is at present a two pump retained station. With a Station Officer in charge, a Sub Officer, 2 Leading Firemen and 16 men as the compliment. The next nearest appliance is from Tarbert, 38 miles away and again retained. The nearest wholetime appliance is Belfast N.I.
The retained members come from a variety of occupations; Drivers, mechanics, builders, painters, electricians, clerks, gas fitters, regional employees, agricultural etc. They take their Brigade duties seriously and keep a sense of humour and fun. They are the 1986-87 Scottish Fire Drill Champions.
Earlier this year in March a function was held to celebrate the Centenary. Serving members, former members and special guests attending. Among the invited guests that attended were from Brigade H.Q. Mr & Mrs Halliday and from 'F' Division Headquarters Mr & Mrs Miller and Mr & Mrs Smart. The social evening was organised by Neil McLennan and David Anderson. Celebrations went on until the "wee small hours".
There was a photo showing Serving Members and Senior Officers posing during the celebrations.
(Aye Ready Issue 1, August 1987. Page 25)
During 1959 a HrT was sold by auction.
The Western Fire Area Administration Scheme Order, 1948
|1 Self Propelled Pump||1 Section Leader|
|1 Large Trailer Pump||2 Leading Firemen|
|1 Standard Towing Vehicle||13 Firemen|
|1 Light Trailer Pump *|
* These appliances are for alternative manning only.
1949 Order placed for two 1 hour Compressed BA sets for this station.
2012 Campbeltown became one of three station to receive equipment for Animal Rescue, the other two being Maybole and Lesmahagow, when the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service was formed the equipment was withdrawn. Animal Rescue Unit.
Firefighters present £870 to Benevolent Fund
<PHOTO>(group of fourteen outside Carradale Station) (Black &
Last Tuesday evening (September 25) both the Carradale and Campbeltown fire stations handed over cheques for the Fire Services National Benevolent Fund.
The cheque given by Campbeltown was to the brilliant value of £650, of which £550 was raised through a street collection. The other £100 was raised through firefighter John Warehams sponsored moustache shave.
Carradales cheque was an amazing sum of £220. Both fire stations are very grateful to all those who donated to both of these collections.
Senior Divisional Officer Mr McCaffrey is pictured along with Campbeltown Station Officer Ronnie Souden, Carradale Volunteer Leader Robert Strang, Divisional Officer for Argyll Bill Grant and firefighters from both stations.
(Campbeltown Courier, Friday 5 October, 2001. Page2.)
On the 15th June 2013 Crew Manager Paul Souden was awarded the Queen's Fire Service Medal in the Queen's Birthday Honours list.
If you know of any mistakes in this or have any additional information please let me know.
MAIN INDEX 1975 INDEX STRATHCLYDE INDEX SFRS WEST SDA STATIONS