P28 BRECHIN

2 Pumps, Retained

Stations

Early 1900s City Road, BRECHIN
? to ? South Esk Street, BRECHIN.                         Photo
1939 to 1974 South Esk Street, BRECHIN.
29/5/1974 to Scott Street, BRECHIN DD9 7BG.                Photo

Firemasters

 

1960 Sub Officer Farquhar
? to ? Station Officer Aly Smith
? to ? Station Officer Ken Coutts
? to ? Station Officer Bill Harper
? to ? Station Officer George Keir
1974 Station Officer Sam Balfour
1995 to Station Officer Bryan Cuthill

 

Appliances

 

1942

GLR732

Austin K2/Home Office 

HrT

1945

?

Bedford QL/Home Office 

WrT(A)

1953

CTS336

Commer QX/Carmichael

WrT

1956

FYJ142 

Commer QX/Carmichael      FYJ412?

PE

1970

MTS873J

Albion Firechief/Carmichael “Vista View” 

WrL

1971

OYJ465K

Albion Firechief/Carmichael “Vista View” 

WrL

1974 GSN566N Dodge K850/HCB Angus WrL

?

VYJ885N

Dodge K850/HCB Angus 

WrL

 

 

  First Second
1990 D639ESL VYJ885N
1992 E358JSN D639ESL
1998 M480WTS M481WTS
2006 ST52GYG M481WTS
2007 ST52GYG R441TSL
2008 ST52GYG V961DSN
2013 May SP57DXR ST52GYG

 

VYJ885N Dodge K850/HCB Angus WrL
D639ESL Dodge G13c/Fulton and Wylie WrL
E358JSN Dodge G13/Mountain Range WrL
M480WTS Volvo FL6-14/Emergency One WrL
M481WTS Volvo FL6-14/Emergency One WrL
R441TSL Volvo FL6-14/Emergency One WrL
V961DSN Scania 94D-260/Emergency One RP
ST52GYG Scania 94D-260/Excalibur RP
SP57DXR Scania P270/JDC RP

 

 

Brigades

1941 to 1948 National Fire Service
1948 to 1975 Angus Area Fire Brigade
1975 to 7/6/2005 Tayside Fire Brigade
8/6/2005 to 2013 Tayside Fire and Rescue (Name change only)
1/4/2013 Scottish Fire and Rescue Service

 

Notes

 

The Angus Fire Area Administration Scheme Order, 1958

 

                                                Equipment                                                             Retained

                                                3 Pump Appliances                                              1 Station Officer
                                                                                                                                1 Sub Officer
                                                                                                                                2 Leading Firemen
                                                                                                                                16 Firemen

 

Establishment 2000

                                                Equipment                                                             Retained

                                                2 Water Tender Ladders                                     1 Station Officer
                                                                                                                                1 Sub Officer
                                                                                                                                2 Leading Firefighters
                                                                                                                                16 Firefighters

 

This was A06 until 28/6/2004 when it became Station 6 and on ?/12/2015 it became P28 with the introduction of the new National Call Signs.

<PHOTO> Means there is a photograph in the article but the photograph is not on this site.

 

<PHOTO> Brechin Fire Crew
An early twentieth century Brechin fire crew are shown posing with hoses at the rear of the new fire station on City Road. In the seventeenth century much of the centre of Brechin had been destroyed in a huge conflagration that left wealthy merchant families destitute and without the means to restart their businesses. In the nineteenth century the Brechin fire crew were more organised and better equipped, but the key to the fire engine still had to be obtained from the police office on Church Street before a fire could be tackled. On one occasion they were called to a serious fire at Cortachy Castle during a house party hosted by the Earl of Dudley.
The Earl's guests had to be accommodated by the Earl of Dalhousie at Brechin Castle with their servants and horses spread around the hotels, inns and stables of the area. The Brechin Almanac noted that such fine horse flesh had never before been seen in the town's stables.
(Britain in Old Photographs, Angus by Fiona C. Scharlau. Page 82.)

1949/50 Approved or under construction, improvements to existing doorway and floor of appliance room at Brechin fire station.
Extension to appliance room to house new Pump Escape completed November 1956.
1958/59 The acquisition of additional accommodation at Brechin referred to in my last Report and the fitting out of an ablution block has now been completed. The result is very satisfactory.
1963 The existing fire station at Brechin is on rented premises and is much below the standard in modern retained fire station development. Bearing in mind the future needs of the City and Royal Burgh, when it was known that a site in Commerce Street was available, negotiations towards purchase were instituted and finally concluded at a price agreed by the District Valuer. The provision of a new fire station in Bechin will now therefore take its place on our programme of future developments.
1963 The Sub Officers who were Officers in Charge of Arbroath, Montrose, Brechin and Forfar were upgraded to the rank of Station Officers as provided for in the Brigade Administration Scheme.

Brechin’s new fire station opens 

Brechin’s new £50,000 fire station was officially opened last night by Dean of Guild Harold G. Morton, chairman of the Angus Fire Area Joint Board.
The station in Scott Street, replaces premises in
Southesk Street, which have been occupied by the fire brigade since 1939.
The new building comprises a two bay appliance hall, recreation and lecture rooms, station office, muster bay and ancillary rooms with a covered work bay at the rear.
The most up to date training facilities in the form of a large drill yard, four storey drill tower and an underground water tank of 2500 gallon capacity are also provided.

Plaque

After Mr Morton unveiled a commemorative plaque a presentation was made by him by Firemaster Alfred Jones.
In thanking all who helped in the construction of the station and the operating of the unit, Firemaster Jones said Brechin was the third station opened since he took command of the area in 1969.
The official proceedings started with an inspection of the guard of honour by Mr Morton, Firemaster Jones, Divisional Officer H. Ramsay, and Station Officer Sam Balfour in attendance.
Represented at the opening were Brechin Town Council, including Provost and Mrs A. Buchan and every station in the Brigade.

Long Service

Receiving 20 year service medals last night were: Sub Officer A. Smith, Brechin; Leading Fireman D. Haddon, Arbroath; and Fireman I Davidson, Arbroath.
(The Courier and Advertiser, Thursday, May 30, 1974. Page 8.) 

BRECHIN’S NEW FIRE STATION OPENED 

Brechin’s new £50,000 fire station in Scott Street was officially opened on Wednesday evening by Dean of Guild Harold G. Morton, chairman of Angus Fire Area Joint Committee.
Present at the ceremony were Provost and Mrs Buchan and members of the Town Council and officials and representatives of every fire station in the Brigade.
The guard of honour was inspected by Mr Morton, Firemaster A. Jones, Divisional Officer H. Ramsay, and Station Officer Sam Balfour in attendance. Mr Morton went on to unveil a commemorative plaque. A presentation was made to him by Firemaster Jones, who remarked that Brechin was the third station to be opened since he took command of the area in 1969.
Sub Officer A. Smith, Brechin, was presented with his 20 years service medal.
Refreshments were served and thereafter the guests were shown over the station.
The new building comprises a two bay appliance hall, recreation and lecture rooms, station office, muster bay and ancillary rooms with a covered work bay at the rear. The most up to date training facilities in the form of a large drill yard, four storey drill tower and an underground water tank of 2500 gallon capacity are also provided.
Brechin people have an opportunity of seeing over the station during Civic Week.
(The Brechin Advertiser, Thursday, June 6, 1974. Page 2.) 

FIRE STATION OPEN 

The new Fire Station in Scott Street, open to the public during Civic Week, proved a great attraction for the youngsters, especially at the beginning of the week when Station Officer Sam Balfour and his staff were “invaded” by hordes of teenagers and younger children who had to be “invited” to behave – or leave.
Later, however there were more family visits with the mums and dads asking all about the equipment while their kiddies enjoyed the thrill of sitting on a real fire engine.
One slightly critical comment heard was not about the station itself, which is perfect for its purpose, but on the fact that whether an appliance leaves via Montrose Street or Southesk Street, it has a very bad junction to negotiate when joining these streets. Possibly the planners had something in mind which will remove this danger in future.
(The Brechin Advertiser, Thursday, June 13, 1974. Page 2.)

 

 

 

If you know of any mistakes in this or have any additional information please let me know.

 

MAIN INDEX                         1975 INDEX                         TAYSIDE INDEX