P01 PERTH

2 Pumps, 1 Aerial, 1 Heavy Rescue Unit, 1 All Terrain Vehicle Wholetime.

Stations

1796 circa Part of St John's Church                                Photo
? Part of the Weight house, a building west of St John's Church
1836? Dry Arch in Perth Bridge                               Photo
1835? to 1921 13 Tay Street                                                   Photo
1921 to 1971 11 King Edward Street
29/9/1971 to 401 High Street PERTH PH1 1PL.                Photo

 

Firemasters

1835 to 1843 Firemaster R. Boyle
1843 to 1850 Superintendent James Thompson
1850 to 1877 Superintendents J. Boyle and T. Welsh
1877 to 1887 Captain James McLeish
1887 to 1896 Captain John Masterton
1896 to 1920 Captain Robert McDonald
1920 to 1941 Firemaster W. J. Patterson MIFireE
1941 to 1946 Fire Force Commander A. S. Pratten M.B.E.
1946 to 1947 Fire Force Commander A. Nisbet G.M., MIFireE
1947 to 1975 Firemaster A. Masson M.B.E., O.B.E., QFSM, MIFireE Perth & Kinross Fire Brigade
1975 to 1980 Firemaster A. Jones Tayside Fire Brigade
1980 to 1985 Firemaster D.Nicol M.B.E., FIFireE Tayside Fire Brigade
1985 to 1990 Firemaster Alex. Winton QFSM, MIFireE Tayside Fire Brigade
1990 to 2001 Firemaster D. Marr Tayside Fire Brigade
2002 to 3/2012 Firemaster Stephen Hunter Tayside Fire Brigade
3/2012 to 16/8/2012 Acting Chief Officer Alasdair Hay
16/8/2012 to31/3/2013 Acting Chief Officer David Boyle
   

 

Appliances

 

?

GS5538

Dennis

PE

1942

GLE939

Austin K4/Perth Fire Brigade Workshops MKII

WrT

1942

GLT724

Austin K2/Home Office                      Ex ATV

HrT

1942

GXH573

Austin K2/Home Office                      Ex ATV

HrT

1942

GXH589

Austin K2/Home Office

ATV

1943

GXN232

Austin K4/Merryweather 60’

TL

1946

?

Bedford QL 4x4/Home Office

WrT(A)

1952

EGS86

Commer 86A/Carmichael

PE

1953

EGS298

Commer QX/Carmichael

PE

1957

LGS493

Commer 86A/HCB

WrT

1959

LES448

AEC Mercury/Merryweather

TL

1959

JGS652

Land Rover 109/P&KFB

ET

1961

PGS442

Land Rover 109/P&KFB

ERT

1961

?

Land Rover 109/P&KFB

CU

1961

RES758

Commer QX/HCB

WrT

1962

UES184

Land Rover FC109/P&KFB

GPL

1962

UES692

Commer 86A/HCB

WrE

1966

FGS986D

Commer VAKS/HCB Angus

WrT

1968

KES313F

Commer VCMW/HCB Angus

ET

1968

KGS901G

Commer VBKW Walkthru/HCB Angus

HrT

1968

LGS96G

Commer VA/Carmichael

WrT

1970

RES144J

Dodge K850/HCB Angus

WrL

1971

TES268K

Dodge K850/HCB Angus

WrE

 

  First Second Aerial CARP Emergency Tender ATV Heavy Rescue Unit Water Rescue
1927 ES3639 ES2773?     Horse drawn steamer      
1973 TES268K TES539K LES448   KES313F      
1990 E358JSN D641ESL E689SEA   D637ESL      
1992 J391JSN J392JSN E689SEA   D637ESL      
1994 L511SSN L512SSN E689SEA   D637ESL      
1998 P645KSP P646KSP E689SEA   D637ESL      
2000 V963DSN V964DSN E689SEA   W638OSP N952EES    
2002 V963DSN V964DSN ST02GAU   W638OSP N952EES    
2003 ST52GYH ST52GYJ ST02GAU   W638OSP      
2004 SP04ECF ST52GYJ ST02GAU   W638OSP      
2006 ST52GYF Y301PSP ST02GAU       SP54EDF  
2007 SP06EGZ Y301PSP ST02GAU       SP54EDF  
2008 SP57DXS SP06EGZ ST02GAU       SP54EDF  
2010 SF10EER SP57DXS ST02GAU       SP54EDF  
2011 Apr 6 SF10EER SP57DXS   SP10EKC     SP54EDF  
2012 August SF10EER SP57DXS   SP10EKC     SP54EDF ST60SLZ
2013 May SP62AVU SF10EER   SP10EKC     SP54EDF SP55CXT
2017 Nov SP62AVU SF10EER   SP10EKC     SP54EDF ST60SLZ
2018 SP62AVU SF10EER   SP10EKC     SP54EDF SV15MSX

 

ES2773? Dennis PL
ES3639 Dennis PL
D641ESL Dodge G13c/Fulton & Wylie WrL
D637ESL Dodge G13c/TFB ET
E358JSN Dodge G13c/Mountain Range WrL
E689SEA Scania P82M/Fulton & Wylie/Simon SS263 HP
J391JSN Volvo FL6-14/Emergency One WrL
J392JSN Volvo FL6-14/Emergency One WrL
L511SSN Volvo FL6-14/Emergency One WrL
L512SSN Volvo FL6-14/Emergency One WrL
N952EES Crayford Argocat 8x8 ATV
P645KSP Volvo FL6-18/Emergency One WrL
P646KSP Volvo FL6-18/Emergency One WrL
V963DSN Scania 94D-260/Emergency One WrL
V964DSN Scania 94D-260/Emergency One WrL
W638OSP Scania 94D-260/Excalibur ET
Y301PSP Scania 94D-260/Excalibur WrL
ST02GAU Volvo FM12/Angloco/Bronto F32HDT ALP
ST52GYF Scania 94D-260/Excalibur RP
ST52GYH Scania 94D-260/Excalibur WrL
ST52GYJ Scania 94D-260/Excalibur WrL
SP04ECF Scania 94D-260/Excalibur RP
SP54EDF Scania 94D-230/Ray Smith PM
SP55CXT Mercedes Sprinter 416 CDi TSU
SP06EGZ Scania 94D-260/Excalibur RP
SP57DXS Scania P270/JDC RP
SF10EER Scania P270/Emergency One RP
SP10EKC Scania P380/Angloco/Bronto F28ALR ARP
ST60SLZ Ford Transit TRU
SP62AVU Scania P280/Emergency One RP
SV15MSX Mercedes Sprinter 4x4/Carmichael WRU

Pods on station Heavy Rescue Unit (SUHRU2), Hazardous Material Unit (SUHMU). (5/1/2010)
Pods on station are Heavy Rescue Unit (on prime Mover) and Environmental Unit (in yard). (20/9/2011) (18/8/2012)
The TRU and TSU are Water Rescue Units, they were swapped as Perth do more water rescues and needed the bigger van.

Brigades

1835? to 1941 City of Perth Fire Brigade
1941 to 1948 National Fire Service
1948 to 1975 Perth and Kinross Fire Brigade
1975 to 7/6/2005 Tayside Fire Brigade
8/6/2005 to 2013 Tayside Fire and Rescue (Name change only)
1/4/2013 Scottish Fire and Rescue Service

 

Notes

 

The Perth and Kinross Fire Area Administration Scheme Order, 1948

                                                                                    Equipment                                                             Wholetime                             Retained

                                                                                    1 Turntable Ladder                                              1 Company Officer               2 Leading Firemen
                                                                                    1 Pump Escape                                                     2 Section Leaders                 14 Firemen
                                                                                    1 Self Propelled Pump towing Light Pump       4 Leading Firemen
                                                                                    2 Large Trailer Pumps                                          24 Firemen and Watchroom Attendants
                                                                                    3 Standard Towing Units (2 Area Reserve)
                                                                                    1 Water Tender with Light Pump mounted
                                                                                    1 Hose Carrier

 

The Perth and Kinross Fire Area Administration Scheme Order, 1952

                                                                             Equipment                                                             Wholetime                             Retained

                                                                            1 Turntable Ladder                                              1 Company Officer               2 Leading Firemen
                                                                            5 Pump Appliances                                              2 Section Leaders                14 Firemen
                                                                                                                                                            4 Leading Firemen
                                                                                                                                                            24 Firemen and Watchroom Attendants

 

Establishment 2000

 

                                                                                Equipment                                                             Wholetime

                                                                                2 Water Tender Ladders                                     4 Station Officers
                                                                                1 Aerial Ladder Platform                                     4 Sub Officers
                                                                                1 Emergency Tender                                            12 Leading Firefighters
                                                                                                                                                                56 Firefighters

Manning WrLs 5 and 4, ET 3 and ALP 2 min crew per watch 14. The Establishment is split over 4 watches, Red, White, Blue and Green working an average of 42 hours per week on a 2 days, 2 nights and 4 days off rota.

 

Establishment 2011

 

                                                                                Equipment                                                             Wholetime

                                                                                2 Rescue Pumps                                                   4 Watch Managers
                                                                                1 Aerial Aerial Platform                                       12 Crew Managers
                                                                                1 Prime Mover                                                      56 Firefighters
                                                                                                                                                               

Minimum Manning 1st 5, 2nd 4, ARP 4 (CM, driver and 2 BA). If HRU required the CM and 1 BA from the ARP crew the HRU which has the 2nd as a support pump and the ARP becomes an Aerial only with the other BA becoming OIC. House fire would get 2 pumps and if persons reported or over 4 storeys high the ARP would also attend. If 2 pumps out ARP becomes 3rd pump and attends any other calls.
The Establishment is split over 4 watches (each watch consists of 18 crew, 1 WM, 3 CM and 14 Ffs), Red, White, Blue and Green working an average of 42 hours per week on a 2 days, 2 nights and 4 days off rota.

This was B01 until 28/6/2004 when it became Station 21 and on ?/12/2015 it became P01 with the introduction of the new National Call Signs.


Perth's new Fire Station at Longcauseway went operational at 8-30am on Sunday 25th July 1971 and was officially opened on Wednesday, 29th September, 1971.
 

 

Opening of Perth’s New Fire Station.

INTERESTING CEREMONY ON WEDNESDAY.

A MIDNIGHT ALARM. 

One of the most interesting functions which has taken place in Perth for a long was the formal opening of the new Fire Station in King Edward Street on Wednesday, and the pleasant social evening which followed. The ceremony was performed by Miss Rachael Pennycuick, Murrayfield, Craigie, the generous donor of the two splendid motor fire engines, in presence of a company which included, in addition to Lord Provost the Hon. John Dewar, the Magistrates and Town Councillors and their wives, representatives of all the works in the city; Mr Frank Eastman; Mr J. G. Mathews; Mr Jas. Douglas; Mr D. Black; Mr Craggs; ex-Lord Provost and Mrs Wotherspoon; Chief Constable and Mrs Scott; Mr P. Brown; Mr and Mrs John Clark; Mrs W. Scott.
Ex Bailie Robert Stewart, Convener of the Watching and Lighting Committee, was in charge of the proceedings.
Ex-Bailie Stewart said that, apart from the Town Council, he did not know of any local body that had been more severely criticised than the Perth Fire Brigade. Whether the criticism of the Town Council was justified or not, he was not to say, but he thought the criticism, so far as the Fire Brigade was concerned, was altogether too severe and most unjust; unjust in this respect, that he thought they had a body of men capable of doing the work which they were called upon to do. He thought they were all agreed that the men went to their work with a bravery and heroism which could not have been surpassed. If the criticism had been confined to the equipment, he would have agreed. The men were certainly seriously handicapped for want of better equipment, but that had been overcome by the generosity of Miss Pennycuick, when she supplied the town with two of the latest fire engines—(applause)—and the most up-to-date appliances. Now he thought they could look forward with pride to Perth as possessing one of the best equipped Fire Brigades in the country. Having been supplied with such handsome gifts, the Town Council, with the object of acquiring premises for their accommodation, purchased that building, which they had altered and extended. On the ground floor provision had been made for an engine room holding two of Dennis’ latest 65 horse power fire engines, each capable of delivering 500 gallons per minute. Both machines carried 35 feet scale ladders along with twenty four 100 feet lengths of hose, with other fire appliances. At the back of the engine-room were the racks for storing the hose after being washed, dried and repaired. In the floor of the engine room there was a pit for cleaning and repairing the under portions of the engines.
It would be observed that the doors of the engine room were rapidly and easily opened by a patent cord attachment with almost instantaneous action. The room in which they were seated housed the steamer, and located in that section was the Firemaster’s office and watch room, to which all the firemen’s houses in the flats above were connected by electric call bells. The workshops were located to the rear of the engine rooms, and embraced engineering, tinsmith and paint shops.
The hose tower, which was 60 feet high, and a most important and useful adjunct to the station—it, too, was the gift of Miss Pennycuick—was adapted to hold thirty 100 feet lengths of hose. The boiler flue from the heating chamber was carried up inside the tower by means of metal piping so as to engender the necessary heat for hose drying purposes. The courtyard, which was used for drill and general cleaning purposes was entered off King Edward Street, and connected directly with the station. Below the floor of the yard was located a petrol bulk storage tank of 200 gallons capacity.
The station was lit by electricity, and was heated throughout by hot water. Hot water was also supplied to the firemen’s houses, which were located along with the Firemaster in the flats above. In conclusion, ex-Bailie Stewart stated that the Fire Station would be open for inspection by the citizens for a week, and he hoped many of them would take an opportunity of inspecting the premises.
The Lord Provost thereafter handed a gold key to Miss Pennycuick, with which, amidst applause, she opened the door.
Miss Pennycuick expressed her thanks, and said she would treasure the key as a memento of the pleasant times she had had in Perth since she came to live in the Fair City. (Applause)
Lord Provost Dewar said he felt sure that there was one person in the room who would prefer that he should say nothing about her at all, and that was Miss Pennycuick, but he could not let that opportunity slip of saying how much they in Perth owed to her. In these days of high income tax, still higher super tax, and very high rates: when they paid these various items in their yearly budget they somehow felt that hey had done their duty to the country—and he had a sneaking feeling of sympathy towards that attitude. But Miss Pennycuick had not been content with that but had helped her town in a way that it would be difficult to repay. Sometimes such a gift was hedged round with conditions because the donor wished to impose his or her own ideas on the community, but Miss Pennycuick’s gift had been free front all conditions, so that they I could do whatever they wished with it. That was the type of gift which one appreciated, and which from the point of view of the town was eminently valuable. (Applause) She had said in effect—“I want Perth to have finest fire fighting machine in Scotland for a town of its size,’’ and ‘‘We have got it,’’ said his Lordship. On behalf of a grateful city and from the bottom of a grateful heart he thanked her. (Applause)
Mr D. A. Stewart, architect, said that on behalf of Miss Pennycuick he had to thank the Lord Provost for his kind words. He could assure them that he would not be consulting Miss Pennycuick’s wishes if he made a long speech. He had only to thank them for their great kindness.
Mr Stewart thereafter, on his own behalf and on behalf of the contractors, presented ex-Bailie Stewart with a handsome silver tea service, which he asked him to hand over to his good lady. The gift was in appreciation of the great amount of work which the Bailie had undertaken in the re-organisation of the Fire Brigade and
in the re-construction of the Fire Station.
Ex-Bailie Stewart thanked the contractors
for their generous gift. The little he has done in the re-organisation of the Fire Brigade and the completion of these buildings has been a work of pleasure to him. He thought it was the duty of every citizen to do his best for his native city, and that was the only purpose he had in view in any work he had done.
After the company had inspected the Station, Miss Pennycuick pulled the cord which automatically threw open the doors, and the two engines with their staffs complete proceeded into City Hall Square, where, in presence of a large crowd, and under the direction of Firemaster W. J. Paterson, they proceeded to give a very smart exhibition of their skill as fire fighters. Afterwards the company was entertained to tea in the Lesser City Hall.
In the evening, and through the kindness of a prominent Perth gentleman, the members of the Fire Brigade, with their lady friends, together with the Lord Provost, Magistrates, and Town Councillors, were entertained to a thoroughly enjoyable dance in the Lesser City Hall. The arrangements were most admirably made by ex-Bailie Stewart and Mr Paterson, the pleasure of the evening being added to by the excellent dance music provided by Young’s Orchestra. The M. C.’s were Messrs C. Winton and R. Duncan, the purveying being done by Messrs J. Hewat & Son.
During the course of the evening a fire alarm was given, and the men on duty faded out into the night, and were on their way to the seat of the outbreak within a couple of minutes. To their intense satisfaction they found on arriving at Needless Road that some nervous individual had called them out to extinguish some smouldering rubbish, and within a quarter of an hour again they were tripping it with the best.
Amongst those who accepted invitations were :—Lord Provost Dewar, Dean of Guild Henderson and Mrs Henderson, Bailie Ross and Mrs Ross, Bailie Hunter and Mrs Hunter, Bailie Taylor and Mrs Taylor, Treasurer M’Cracken and Miss M’Cracken, Councillor P. Baxter, Sir Samuel Chapman, M.P., and Lady Chapman, Councillor Downie and Mrs Downie, ex.Bailie Gowans and Mrs Gowans, Councillor Heatley and Mrs Heatley, ex-Bailie Macpherson and Mrs Macpherson, Councillor Munro and Mrs Munro, Councillor R. Stewart and Mrs Stewart, Conncillor Traill and Miss Traill, Mr John Wood and Councillor Mrs Wood, Councillor W. J. Wood, Councillor J. Stewart, Messrs W. Keay, and R. Duncan, Mr and Mrs J. Robertson, Mr and Mrs J. Connon, Mr and Mrs J. Taylor, Mr and Mrs T. Abbott, Mr and Mrs G. Ewart, Mr and Mrs A. Tulloch, Mr and Mrs C. Winton, Mr and Mrs A Curr, Mr and Mrs T. Clark, Mr J. Smith, Mr and Mrs F. Alexander, Messrs J. Lamont, R. Watt, and T. Smith, Mr and Mrs A. Stein. Mr and Mrs A. Honeyman, Mr and Mrs F. Gracie, Mr and Mrs J. Garvie, Mr A. Given, Mr and Mrs C. Harris, Mr D. Mackenzie, Mr and Mrs J. M’Ewan, Mr W. Steel, Mr H. Douglas, Depute Town Clerk, and Mrs Douglas, Mr G. Walker, Town Officer, and Miss Walker, Mr R. Todd, Town Clerk’s Department, and Mrs Todd, Mr and Mrs Don, Mr D. Hislop, Miss Simpson, Mr Harris Hunter; Miss Lee, Matron of the Fever Hospital; Mr and Mrs L. Munro, Miss J Malcolm, Miss M’Rae, Mr and Mrs A. J. M’Donald, Miss Simpson, Mr and Mrs James Currie, Mr and Mrs John Norval, Mr Wm. M’Cracken, Mr and Mrs W. Scott, Miss M’Adam, Miss Grieve, Miss M’Rae, Miss Nairn, Miss M. Paterson, Dr. Parker Stewart, etc.
(Perthshire Advertiser, December 23, 1922.)

 

 

New Perth fire station comes into operation
 

The fire engines of Perth City division of the Perth and Kinross Fire Brigade will turn out from the King Edward Street fire station for the last time this weekend. The occasion will be the final stage of the  division's "flitting" to their new station in Longcauseway.
The new station. which also houses the brigade's control room, comes into commission from 8-30 a.m. tomorrow. From that time, all emergency calls will be dealt with from the brigade control at the new station, and only the brigade's headquarters and administrative and fire prevention departments will continue to operate from 11 King Edward Street.
Firemaster Mr A. Masson stressed: "From Sunday there will be nobody in this place except during normal business hours. There will be nobody here in the evenings or at night and it will be no use banging on the doors."
The brigade are retaining the upper storeys of the King Edward Street station for their administrative and fire prevention departments, but they are vacating the ground floor which will then be available for let.
The building in King Edward Street has been in use as the city's fire station since 1921, when it was converted from a block of shops and a billiards saloon. In recent years it has been "bursting at the seams" and unable to meet the brigade's requirements.
The new six bay station at Longcauseway has accommodation for all the firemen's requirements, full training facilities and also accommodation for stores and the maintenance of appliances and equipment.
The flitting there started about a year ago, when the new workshop accommodation was completed, and has been continuing gradually as the new buildings were completed. The tempo of the move was stepped up last week when the builders finally moved out and the whole job will be completed tomorrow morning.
A total of about 70 people - firemen and civilian personnel - move into the new station from King Edward Street premises.
Although in commission as from tomorrow, the new station will not be officially opened until sometime in September. A definite date has yet to be fixed for the ceremony.
(Perthshire Advertiser, Saturday, July 24, 1971. Page ?)
<PHOTO> The new city fire station at Longcauseway which will come into use on Sunday. It will be officially opened in September. (Perthshire Advertiser, Saturday, July 24, 1971. Back page)

 

 

Better training facilities at new fire station

Lord Provost David K. Thomson officially opened Perth and Kinross Fire Brigade's new station at Longcauseway on Wednesday. The station is equipped for utmost efficiency, not surprisingly since fire fighting is a business where a few second's delay can be disastrous.
Sophisticated communications ensure a swift departure for fire tenders when the alarm is raised. If you dial 999, an operator at the telephone exchange will ask for your exchange and number, then immediately use a direct line to the service you require.
If there is a fire in Perth, tenders will leave from the Longcauseway station immediately. The Perth control room is also in direct contact with 15 retained stations throughout the area. These sub-stations are situated at Coupar Angus, Alyth, Blairgowrie, Dunkeld, Pitlochry, Aberfeldy, Killin, Comrie, Crieff, Auchterarder, Dunblane, Doune, Callander, Aberfoyle and Kinross.
Contact can be made by direct line to any of these stations and a tender can be on the road ONLY THIRTY SECONDS after the 999 call has been made.
The new station, with six appliances, is one of the largest in Scotland. The area that the Perth and Kinross Fire Brigade serves is very wide however.
Firemaster Mr A. Masson says "This is a functional station without any undue trimmings. It is about the minimum size to cater for the needs of Perth and Perthshire and, of course, Kinross."
There is accommodation for about 50 firemen in the new buildings. About 17 firemen work each of the eight hour shifts. When the men are not fighting fires, attending accidents and other special services, they are working to keep the appliances and gear in top working order.
The greatest advantage of the new premises over the old station in King Edward Street, which still houses much of the administrative and fire prevention departments is the scope for training the men.
At the rear of the appliance bays, whose wide frontage and exit is a special feature of the station, is situated a 65 feet high training tower which the firemen use in exercises requiring their turntable ladders.
Behind the tower there is a special building which is used to recreate the situations that a fireman can face. This building can be filled with smoke and intense heat, using fan heaters at the end of the building. Firemen, wearing breathing apparatus, must enter this inferno to "rescue" dummies from "rooms" of the building.
Other buildings in the complex, which is estimated to have cost about £250,000, accommodate storerooms and workshops for the maintenance of appliances and equipment.

Business as usual - despite opening!

Some men of the Perth and Kinross Fire Brigade's Perth staff missed the opening of the new Perth station on Wednesday when they were called out only minutes before the opening ceremony.
Guests were already arriving for the ceremony when some of the men had to turn out for what proved to be a minor outbreak at 4 Jeanfield Road, not far from the new premises.
The new station, which cost £1/4 million, was opened by Lord Provost D. K. Thomson, who, after declaring the station open, made a 999 to the control room and asked for the station's alarm to be sounded.
Lord Provost Thomson said the pervious city fire station had, for far to long, been in a central area, amid much congestion, when precious minutes lost could give a fire a better chance to gain a hold. The new station was in a strategic position and almost in the centre of the "new" Perth.
Such buildings and equipment, he went on, were a great aid but would be useless unless the personnel had expertise, initiative and above all, courage and these attributes were there in plenty among the Perth firemen.
Chairman of the Perth and Kinross Fire Brigade Joint Committee, Mr John Kid, said the opening of the new station was the climax to his committee's efforts to modernise the brigade.
These efforts had been directed first towards the provision of country stations for retained firemen; the provision of adequate facilities for the professional fulltime firemen coming last on the building programme.
Mr Kidd presented minature firemen's axes as momentoes of the occasion to the Lord Provost and to Hon. Treasurer A.U. Cross, vice chairman of the brigade committee, who proposed the vote of thanks.
During the ceremony, the Lady Provost, Mrs J.A.C. Grant, presented long service and good conduct medals to the following:- Deputy Firemaster McMurtie (25 yrs.), Divisional Officer Nelson (23 yrs.), Asst. Div. Officer Muir (24 yrs.), Station Officer Curr ( 21 yrs.), Station Officer Macdonald A. ( 25 yrs.), Sub Officer Clark ( 25 yrs), Sub Officer Christie ( 25 yrs.), Fireman Lawton ( 22 yrs.), Fireman Macaskill ( 21yrs.), Fireman Newton ( 25yrs.).
<Photo> The main building at Perth's new fire station with the garaging accommodation for appliances on the left and, on the right, the operational rooms, offices and quarters for personnel.
<Photo> Lord Provost Thomson officially opens the new fire station by dialling "999". He is being watched by Hon. Treasurer A. U. Cross, vice chairman of Perth and Kinross Joint Fire Committee. Also pictured is the Firemaster, Mr A. Masson.
<Photo> The main console in the control room of Perth's new fire station. It controls very sophisticated fire warning and call out system.
<Photo> The kitchen in the personnel quarters at the new fire station.
<Photo> The Lady Provost, Mrs J. A. C. Grant, presented long service awards to (l. to r.) - Fireman N. McAskill (21 years' service), Assistant Divisional Officer J. R. Muir (24 years), Sub Officer G. Clark (25 years), and Deputy Firemaster D. McMurtie (25 years).
<Photo> Also recipients of long service awards at Wednesday's ceremony (l to r,) - Sub Officer R. Christie (25 years), Station Officer D. Curr (21 years), Divisional Officer J. Nelson (23 years), Fireman E. Lawton (22 years) and Fireman L. Newton (25 years).
<Photo> Part of the audience at the official opening of Perth's new fire station.
(Perthshire Advertiser, Saturday, October 2, 1971. Page )

Manpower Shortage

The opening this week of Perth's new fire station makes this an appropriate time to acknowledge a debt we all owe to a section of the community which does not receive enough public recognition for the many vitally important duties it performs.
We take most of our emergency services for granted. Firemen are no exception. We assume they'll be there when needed - in times of fire, of course; at serious road accidents in which the victim may be trapped in his car; flooding; and countless other emergencies great and small.
But a warning has been sounded this week that in some parts of the country, the fire service is facing a critical manpower shortage.
Mr John Jackson, Her Majesty's Inspector of Fire Services for Scotland, in his report for 1969 and 1970 states that increasing demands made on the fire service, both on the operational and on the fire prevention fronts, have had to be met in spite of the fact that many brigades are under manned.
At the end of 1970, the total wholetime male strength of the fire service in Scotland was 2733 - 346 short of the authorised establishment.
Although recruitment was slightly better than in the past, the result was largely offset by the numbers retiring on completion of service.
"Throughout the country the wholetime manpower situation has not shown any really marked improvement though the trend in recruitment was moving in a favourable direction in the later part of 1970 and the number of men in post at December 1970 was in fact the highest for a number of years.
"Bearing in mind the large exodus expected of men retiring in 1972 and 1973 it is to be hoped that the level of the intake of recruits will continue to improve during 1971.
Restrictions on public expenditure placed on fire authorities in January, 1968, in the light of the national economic situation had not been lifted by the end of 1970, Mr Jackson says. One result of this was that the establishments had not been increased to meet the pressing need for additional training of brigade personnel, particularly on fire prevention work.
The economic situation may, however, solve Mr Jackson's manpower problem. In times of heavy unemployment, recruitment into organisations like the fire service, police etc. always increases. Now is the time for the fire service to advertise itself as a worthwhile career for a young man.
(Perthshire Advertiser, Saturday, October 2, 1971. Editorial Page )


 

The tower of Perth's new fire station dominates the western area of the city. The station, one of the most up to date and well equipped stations in the country, supercedes the former station in King Edward Street, which also long provided a highly efficient service, and was equipped to the highest standards then prevailing.
The generous gift of two motor fire engines by Miss Rachael Pennycuik, of Murrayfield, Craigie, in the aftermath of the First World War had persuaded the council to proceed with the modernisation of the service, and the transfer from the old station in the City Chambers in Tay Street to the new building in King Edward Street.
Several major fires within the city had accelerated the project, and Miss Pennycuik further defrayed the cost of the tower in King Edward Street. She was honoured by being made a Free Burgess of the city in 1921.
The King Edward Street Station, which also housed the firemaster and certain officers, is presently the object of an interesting shopping development, and will shortly disappear from the city scene in its present form.
The Feus Road/West High Street site allows much greater space and facilities, allowing a much speedier, turn out than the restricted city centre site provided.
(Perth Advertiser, October 21, 1980. Page 12)

Hose Tower, Fire Station Building, King Edward Street

For 60 years a prominent feature in the city centre, the recently demolished hose tower was erected by a bequest from the late Miss Rachael Pennycuik, of Murrayfield, Cragie, and then described as "the most unique gift ever given to the municipality".
Miss Pennycuik had already gifted two of the latest type of fire engines. Several severe conflagrations had caused much damage and apprehension in the city. The older generation will remember the somewhat primitive fire apparatus emerging from the pend in Tay Street below the city chambers. The gift of the two engines prompted the Town Council to proceed with the development of the King Edward Street Station to the highest standards prevailing.
The large tenement block housing the Station, imposing in red sandstone, provided domestic accommodation for the firemaster and some firemen, others resided nearby in such places as Marshall's Buildings, with call out alarm bells provided.
Miss Pennycuik, though a native of Morayshire, evinced much public spirit for the adopted city, which was recognised by the presentation of the Freedom of the City on June 21, 1921. (The rest of the article is not fire service related.)
(Perth Advertiser, March 12, 1982. Page 12)

£97,000 extension for Perth fire station 

A £97,000 extension to be built to the Divisional Fire Brigade Headquarters in Longcauseway, Perth, it was agreed in principal at a Tayside Region Police and Fire sub-committee meeting this week.
The extension will accommodate the divisional commander, training officer and fire prevention department. Minor internal alterations will also be carried out to the main headquarters building to house the brigade’s administrative department.
The committee was told that, at present, the divisional commander, administration, training and fire protection departments are accommodated in a temporary building at the rear of the main station complex.
This building is estimated by the region’s director of architectural services to have a life span of some five to 10 years. It attracts a high level of annual running and maintenance costs, however, which are likely to increase, and various options were considered.
The meeting was told that immediate provision of a new, permanent extension would allow the temporary building and the ground to the rear of the main building to be disposed of. It was also the best financial solution, largely because of the immediate reduction in running costs.
The solution also had the advantage of bringing all of the divisional headquarters staff under one roof and, as the most likely location of the extension was at the front of the main building, of restricting access, by visiting members of the public to a more readily supervised area.
As a result of difficulties experienced with the existing electric underfloor heating system in the main building, investigations are currently being undertaken into the feasibility of alternative means of heating.
Should they reveal that a new system is required it will be installed prior to, or simultaneously with, the new extension.
When the extension is complete the existing temporary buildings and land will be leased to another regional council department.
(Perth Advertiser, August 22, 1986. Page 5)

 

 

 

 

 

If you know of any mistakes in this or have any additional information please let me know.

 

MAIN INDEX                         1975 INDEX                         TAYSIDE INDEX