1 Pump Retained.


1903 Fire Station                                                        Photo
14/5/1969 Crieff Road, ABERFELDY. PA15 2BJ.           Photo



1903 to 1907 Captain Donald Reid
1907 to 1927 Nov Captain John Menzies
Late 1930s to 1941 Firemaster James MacDonald
1941 to 1948 Section Leader James MacDonald
1948 to ? Leading Fireman James McDonald
? to ? Sub/L Fm? Tom Stewart
1960 Sub Officer John Carmichael
1961 to May 1966 Sub Officer A Galbraith
May 1966 to ? Sub Officer Norman Shaw (there May 1969)
1979 to 1988? Sub Officer Tom MacDougall
2000 Sub Officer Dave Stewart
2007 Watch Manager Dave Stewart
2019 Watch Cammander Stephen Dolzanski


Station Commanders

1999 to 2002

ADO Mick McKay

2002 to 2004

ADO Colin Hannigan

2004 to 2007

ADO Stewart Edgar

2007 to Station Manager Billy McLintock



1879   Hose and Fire Plugs  
1903   Standpipe & Hose  
1922   Steamer P
1940   Daimler Car & Dennis Trailer Pump TrP
1945?   Austin K2 ATV
1952 EGS43 Commer QX/McMurray & Archibald PE
1954 FES906 Commer 45A/HCB WrT
1970 UES871K Dodge K850/HCB Angus WrL
1990 XSP678T Dodge K1113/HCB Angus WrL
1992 D641ESL Dodge G13c/Fulton and Wylie WrL
1998 J389ESN Volvo FL6-14/Emergency One WrL
2003 V961DSN Scania 94D-260/Emergency One WrL
2007 Y299PSP Scania 94D-260/Excalibur RP
2009 W638OSP Scania 94D-260/Excalibur/Emergency One RP        (ET rebuilt as RP)
2010 SP56FRJ Scania P270/JDC RP




1903 to 1941 Aberfeldy Fire Brigade
1941 to 1948 National Fire Service
1948 to 1975 Perth and Kinross Fire Brigade
1975 to 7/6/2005 Tayside Fire Brigade
8/6/2005 to 2013 Tayside Fire and Rescue (Name change only)
1/4/2013 Scottish Fire and Rescue Service




The Perth and Kinross Fire Area Administration Scheme Order, 1948


                Equipment                                                                                             Retained

                1 Standard Towing Unit with Light Pump mounted                       1 Leading Fireman
                1 Large Trailer Pump                                                                            9 Firemen



The Perth and Kinross Fire Area Administration Scheme Order, 1952


                Equipment                                                                                             Retained

                1 Pump Appliance                                                                                2 Leading Firemen
                                                                                                                                8 Firemen



Establishment 2000


                Equipment                                                                                             Retained

                1 Water Tender Ladder                                                                       1 Sub Officer
                                                                                                                                ? Leading Firefighters
                                                                                                                                ? Firefighters


This was B06 until 28/6/2004 when it became Station 26 and on ?/12/2015 it became P20 with the introduction of the new National Call Signs.

ABERFELDY – A public boon – Through the untiring exertions of our townsman, Mr Rankin, the village is now in possession of a fire hose, and fire plugs have been placed in the various parts of the town, the hose will be of great service in case of an outbreak of fire. On Saturday interesting experiments were made to test the efficiency of its working when it is found that the force is such as to throw the water to the top of the highest buildings in the village. Too much praise cannot be given Mr Rankin, not only for the trouble and expense he has been at in raising the sum necessary for this, but also for the interest he takes in everything which is calculated to benefit our village and inhabitants.
(Perthshire Advertiser, Tuesday, March 25, 1879. Page 3.)


<PHOTO> Chairman of Perth and Kinross Joint Fire Committee, Mr. A. D. C. Main, presents a long service award to Sub Officer Carmichael, Aberfeldy, after the opening of the new fire station at Callander on Tuesday. Sub Officer Carmichael joined Aberfeldy brigade in 1939.
(Perthshire Advertiser, Saturday, May 21, 1960. Page 8.)


Intimation was made that with the opening of the new fire station, more parking space would be made available in the Town Hall Square.
(Perth Advertiser, Wednesday, 14 May, 1969. Page 14.)


Aberfeldy’s New Fire Station Opened

The new £11,000 fire station at Aberfeldy was officially opened on Wednesday evening by Provost James Fisher.
Situated in Crieff Road, the station is a single bay unit, consisting of an appliance room, lecture room, kitchen and showers. It took just under a year to complete.
In his address to the large company who attended the opening, Provost Fisher gave a brief history of Aberfeldy Fire Brigade.
“The new Fire Station,” he said, “is a great asset to Aberfeldy and this is an eventful occasion for all local people.”
The Fire Brigade in the town was started in 1903, and comprised 13 men. In those far off days, Government grants and assistance were not in existence, and running costs were aided by social functions and help from the Council. In 1911 motor transport was used for the first time and from then on the Aberfeldy Brigade never looked back.
Presiding over the ceremony was Councillor John Kydd, chairman of Perth and Kinross Fire Committee, who said: “Aberfeldy Brigade have a long list of honours to their name and this is another occasion for their annals.” He added that the new station in Aberfeldy was the thirteenth to be built by the Joint Fire Committee since 1948. The proceedings were closed by Mr James Macnab yr. of Macnab. Following the ceremony those present were invited to view the new station.
(Perth Advertiser, Saturday, 17 May, 1969. Page 13.)


Aberfeldy’s New Fire Station Opened 

<PHOTO> Provost James Fisher performs the opening ceremony at the new £11,00 fire station at Aberfeldy on Wednesday.
<PHOTO> The new fire station at Aberfeldy, which is located in Crieff Road and is a single bay unit. It took just under a year to complete.
<PHOTO> Firemen who attended the inaugural ceremony. (Line up of 11 firemen.)
(Perth Advertiser, Saturday, 17 May, 1969. Page ?)




<PHOTO> BOYS OF THE OLD BRIGADE. The “boys” are (l. to r.): John Menzies (plumber), Captain; James MacDonald (Burgh Surveyor), foreman; Bailie Charles Munro; Daniel Stewart; Stewart Robertson (slater), fireman; James A. MacGregor (postman), secretary.
<PHOTO> The men of the Brigade 14th May, 1969. Photo by A. C. Cowper,
From its unobtrusive beginning in a Council Chamber 66 years ago to the present day, the following is just some of the history that surrounds Aberfeldy Fire Brigade. The first twenty fire calls and some of the changes in office bearers are published below, all leading up to Wednesday’s opening ceremony of the new Fire Station.
Aberfeldy Fire Brigade was formed at a meeting held in the Council Chamber on
21st October, 1903. Bailie D. R. Reid presided. The following were appointed as office bearers and firemen:— Bailie Donald Reid, captain; John Menzies, plumber, vice-captain; James A. MacGregor, postman, secretary.
The other members of the Brigade were:— James MacDonald, joiner, foreman; Peter MacDonald, gardener, assistant foreman; Duncan Robertson, blacksmith, engineer; George Watson, coachbuilder, assistant engineer; Alexander Anderson, dyer; William Walker, grocer; Alexander MacKenzie, plumber; John Fisher, plumber; Stewart Robertson, slater; and Duncan Ritchie, cabinet maker, all firemen.
The captain, Bailie Reid, was very enthusiastic and took a great interest in the progress and efficiency of the men. He introduced a new system of training procedure which proved of great service.
A book containing a set of rules, regulations and byelaws for the guidance the Brigade was to be drawn up. The newly formed Brigade turned out for a preliminary practice on 24th October, 1903, a Saturday afternoon.


The new Aberfeldy Fire Brigade’s first "call-out" was on the morning of Tuesday, 16th February 1904 in connection with an outbreak of fire in one of the dining rooms in the restaurant in the Square, owned by Mr John McLean. It was only a slight outbreak and was soon under control.
The second call out took place four months later on the morning of 9th June, 1904, to a fire at the back premises of Messrs Duncan MacGregor, butcher, Bridgend. The damage was estimated at £50.
It is perhaps interesting to note at this point, that following each fire the men were paid according rank, i.e. 10/- for the captain, 5/6 for the firemen, and refreshments to the value of, 3/8d.
The third call out of the new brigade was on the morning of 4th November, 1905, over a year later than the previous one. This time it was a slight outbreak at the premises of Messrs. James McKeracher, cabinet maker, Dunkeld Street.


The next fire followed one year and three months later, on 2nd February, 1907. The outbreak, a chimney fire at the old Cottage Hospital, Home Street, was quickly extinguished.
The fifth call was perhaps the worst fire that has ever taken place in Aberfeldy. It occurred on 14th March, 1907, at the premises of Messrs. Duncan MacGregor, butchers, Brigend, Aberfeldy, already struck by fire in 1904.
The shop adjoined the Breadalbane Arms Hotel. The property a building two storeys high at the front and three at the back, consisting of a dwelling house on the ground floor, a baker’s shop occupied by Mr John Wilson and the rooms above, were tenanted. The other shop was unoccupied.
One of the ground floor rooms was occupied by Mrs MacGregor. Mr Peter Clark slept in a bedroom in a top flat and Mr Duncan MacGregor, butcher and proprietor of the buildings, Mrs Finlayson and Mrs Hay were others in the building .at the time.


The fire was discovered shortly after five o’clock in the morning by Mrs Hay. The Fire Brigade was soon on the scene and succeeded in rescuing Mrs Hay, Mrs Finlayson and Mr D. MacGregor. Unfortunately Mrs MacGregor and Peter Clark perished in the flames;
The sixth call out of Aberfeldy Fire Brigade followed only eight days after their fifth, on 22nd March, 1907. This time it was a serious outbreak on the east side of Kenmore Street. A dwelling house occupied by Miss M. McDonald, and shop premises occupied by Messrs. W. Waler, grocer and Messrs. John Walker, game dealer, were all completely gutted. Falling sparks from the fire ignited the roof of the Union Bank. The damage was estimated at £1,900.
Shortly after this fire the captain, Bailie Reid, resigned because of ill health. Mr John Menzies succeeded him as captain and held this post until November, 1927.


The seventh call was on 5th November, 1907, to an outbreak in the premises occupied by Messrs. D. R. McDonald, saddler, Dunkeld. This fire was quickly under control before doing much damage.
Six fire extinguishers were bought in October, 1908. Two were placed on the fire engine, two placed in the Town Hall and one each given to the captain and vice captain for them to take to any outbreak for their immediate use.
A wooden shed belonging to W. A. Robertson, burned to the ground, was the Brigade’s eighth call. The date was 27th October, 1909.
On 8th January, 1910, .a workshop belonging to Messrs. Duncan Ritchie, cabinetmaker, Moness Terrace, was burnt out.
The tenth turn out for the Aberfeldy Brigade was on 2nd; February, 1910 to a slight outbreak at the house at 40 Dunkeld Street, occupied by Mr James Stewart. The Brigade prevented the blaze from doing further damage.


The eleventh and twelfth turnouts took place on 4th April and 5th August, 1911, respectively. The first was to a stock-yard fire at Duntuim and the second, a similar fire, at Castle Menzies Farm. On this latter occasion the fire engine was hauled to the fire by the Castle Menzies motor car.
Two months later, 27th August, 1911, a very serious outbreak took place at 22 Kenmore Street where two lives were lost, Ann Cameron and her son, John Taylor, being burned to death.
In November, 1912, the, founder and former captain of Aberfeldy Fire Brigade, Bailie D. R. Reid, died.
Twice in 1914 the force were called out. Firstly on 23rd February, to a slight outbreak at the premises of Messrs. Henderson, fishmongers, Brigend, Aberfeldy, and secondly to an outbreak at D. R. Reid’s adjoining premises in Market Street on 6th June.
In 1914 four men joined the Territorials, and this proved difficult to find suitable replacements. Temporary appointments were made, most of them later confirmed. Nine members of the Brigade were on active service before the end of the First World War.


In 1921 all firemen’s houses were equipped with an alarm bell connected to the fire alarm at Bridgend. The following year, 10th May, 1922, a special meeting decided that Mr W. Mathieson should be appointed to take charge of the new fire engine, recently purchased by the Town Council, and that he was to be held responsible for the maintenance of this new ‘steamer’.
This new ‘steamer’ got its first chance to go into action on 29th January, 1923 when the force was summoned to a serious farm fire at Balnacraig, Fortingall, and ‘worked most satisfactorily’.
Three years later, 21st April, 1926, a fire took place at the Station Hotel stables and in the same year a blaze at the Palace Hotel was soon under control.
The vestry of the Parish Church was paid a visit by the Brigade on 18th December, 1927, and two years later, 8th January, 1929, the Brigade were on their twentieth call out, to a serious fire at the Railway Station.
In 1929 another special meeting came to the decision that they would not call in the services of Perth Fire Brigade, except on the order and instruction, of the captain.


On 3rd November, 1934, electric light was installed at the Fire Station, 31 years after the force was formed.
The house of Fireman A. Galbraith, 29 Dunkeld Street, Aberfeldy, was visited twice in five months by his colleagues. The first call was on Friday, 13th December, when the blaze was put out by using two extinguishers and the second visit, was on Tuesday, 21st May, 1936. Mr Galbraith later became officer in charge at Aberfeldy.
On 27th March, 1939, the Aberfeldy unit of the Auxiliary Fire Service was formed in addition to the regulars. The twelve members of the A.F.S. were as follows:— A. Campbell, 26 Kenmore Street; J. Carmichael, Bank St; W. D. Fergusson, 19 Kenmore Street; D. McArthur, Bank Street; W. McDonald, 21 Kenmore Street; C. McDougall, Atholl House; G. McFarlane, 20 Market Street; W. C. Robertson, 3 Ardbeg; G. Smart, 18 Breadalbane Terrace; W. Stewart, 44 Kenmore Street and W. Stewart, “Strathview”, Chapel Street.


On 25th June, 1940, a Dennis Trailer Pump and a 25h.p. Daimler saloon car for towing were issued to the Brigade. A year later, 19th August, 1941, the Aberfeldy Brigade became a unit in the newly formed National Fire Service.
During the Second World War the Aberfeldy Brigade had two air raid warnings. The first of these was on Tuesday, 17th February, 1942, at 7.45 a.m. The red alert lasted 55 minutes. The second warning came on Tuesday, 25th March, 1943, at 1 p.m. until the all clear 15 minutes later.
On the denationalization of the Fire Service, the Perth and Kinross Fire Brigade was formed. Mr J. McDonald became officer in charge of Aberfeldy, followed by Mr Tom Stewart, who was in turn followed by Mr John Carmichael.
Mr A. Galbraith took charge in 1961 and the present officer in charge, Sub Officer Norman Shaw, 28 Kenmore Street, has held that position since May, 1966. Leading Fireman George McDonald is his deputy. The full complement is eleven men, all of whom were on parade on Wednesday at the opening of the New Fire Station. 

‘Plane crash

On Saturday, 29th May, 1943, Aberfeldy Fire Brigade were summoned from Kellas’s Garage at 1-30 p.m. to a crashed aeroplane on the Fearnan—Fortingall road. The ‘plane, a twin-engined Ablemarie had ploughed into the wall separating the parishes of Kenmore and Fortingall. In the aircraft was one Czechoslovakian and three Russian pilots out on a training flight from Errol. The Ablemarie’s glider towing mechanism had unlocked and this caused the ‘plane to crash. At the controls at the time was the commander of the party, a Russian Colonel. One of the first on the scene was Mr John McEwan, Fortingall. The Brigade arrived but could do nothing as the aeroplane burst into flames. No bodies were recovered. The Brigade returned to Aberfeldy at 4-35 p.m. 

Former Aberfeldy fireman dies

A former member of Aberfeldy Fire Brigade, Mr John Carmichael, 3 Tayside, Aberfeldy, died this week at the age of 68.
Mr Carmichael was one of 12 men in the Auxiliary Fire Service when it was formed in addition to the regulars, on 27th March 1939.
Mr Carmichael, a native the burgh, was a motor mechanic to trade. He retired a few years ago.
He was an office bearer in the former Breadalbane Church, and had been a member of the bowling club.
As a member of Breadalbane Football Club he had been an standing goalkeeper, but had refused the opportunity to play in senior games.
Mr Carmichael’s wife died some years ago and he is survived by one son. 

Aberfeldy’s New Fire Station Opened 

County Councillor John Kydd, chairman, of Perth and Kinross Joint Fire Committee, presided at the opening of Aberfeldy’s new Fire Station on Wednesday before a large number of guests.
Provost Fisher of Aberfeldy declared the station open and gave an account of the Brigade’s history since its formation in 1903.
County Councillor MacNab of MacNab, Killin, proposed a vote of thanks. Afterwards the guests made an inspection of the station, which is fitted with up to date equipment, and were later entertained to tea in the Brigade grounds.
The Brigade has one sub officer, one leading fireman and nine firemen.
Our picture on the right shows the men of the Brigade on parade at the opening of their new Station on Wednesday evening.
(North Perthshire Guide, Saturday, 17th May, 1969. Pages 4 and 5.)

The two photos in the above article 17/5/1969.



On Wednesday 21 October 1903 a group of public spirited men met in the Council chamber of Aberfeldy town hall to consider the advisability of forming a fire brigade for the burgh.
The meeting was chaired by Bailie Donald Reid and it was unanimously agreed to form a brigade of 13 members. Bailie Donald Reid was appointed Captain and James McDonald was appointed foreman.
Within weeks of the inception of the brigade a Committee was appointed to draw up rules for the brigade. The rules were drafted and after consideration by the members the draft rules were submitted to the Town Council for approval.
This having been obtained the rules were formally adopted by the Brigade and printed copies were issued to each member.
About this time (early 1904 ) the Provost of the Burgh offered to finance at his own expense the attendance of two members of the Brigade for a weeks training at Glasgow Fire Brigade H Q. this offer was accepted.
The equipment at the inception of the Brigade consisted of a standpipe and several lengths of hose (probably leather) but a short time later a steam pump was obtained from Taymouth Castle.
The first petrol engine trailer (a Dennis 350/500 gpm) was provided by Perth & Kinross County Council about 1940 and this was to be towed by a Daimler Motor Car. The Motor Car was replaced about 1945 by an Austin 2 ton towing vehicle which continued in service until replaced by a Comer type B water tender.
Mr James McDonald served as Foreman and Secretary of the Brigade until he was appointed Firemaster in the late 1930's and he continued in that post until Nationalisation of the Fire Service in 1941 when he was appointed section leader and Officer in Charge Aberfeldy. On the return of the Fire Service to Local Authority control in 1948 he continued to serve as Officer in Charge Aberfeldy until his retiral.
In 1948 James McDonald was awarded the British Empire Medal in King's Birthday Honours list for his long and honourable service. Mr McDonald was subsequently honoured by Aberfeldy Town Council at a Complimentary Dinner when many tributes were paid to his long and honourable service.
It is interesting that retained members of the Aberfeldy Brigade were called up for active service in the Armed Forces and served abroad during The Great War 1914/18, the second World War 1939/45 and during the Suez Crisis. They all returned safely.
(Dave Stewart OIC stn B6 Aberfeldy. 2001.)




If you know of any mistakes in this or have any additional information please let me know.


MAIN INDEX                         1975 INDEX                         TAYSIDE INDEX                    SFRS NORTH SDA STATIONS