The Central Area Fire Brigade came into operation on the 4th May, 1948 under the Fire Services Act,1947 covering the counties of Clackmannan, Dunbarton and Stirling, and the burghs of Clydebank, Dumbarton, Falkirk and Stirling. The Brigade continued until Regionalisaton on 16th May, 1975 when part of it went into Strathclyde Fire Brigade and the remainder helped form the Central Region Fire Brigade.


1948 to 1975                     Meiklehill House, KIRKINTILLOCH, Dunbartonshire.



1948 to 1961                     Firemaster James T. Davidson O.B.E.
1962 to 1975                     Firemaster Samuel Park




1948 1975
East Falkirk WT Falkirk WT/RT
North Stirling WT/RT Stirling WT/RT
West Strathleven WT/RT Closed
South West Clydebank WT Clydebank WT
North East Alloa WT/RT Alloa WT/RT
South Kirkintilloch WT/RT Kirkintilloch WT/RT
Alexandria RT
Arrochar Vol. Arrochar RT
Balfron RT Balfron RT
Bridge of Allan RT Bridge of Allan RT
New RT Unit ?      New station 8/11/1973 WT/RT Cumbernauld WT/RT
Cove and Kilcreggan RT Cove RT
Denny RT Denny RT
Dollar Vol. Dollar RT
Dumbarton RT Dumbarton WT/RT
Falkirk   RT Closed 1955 & replaced by Grangemouth Road    
      Opened 1962 Garelochhead RT
Grangemouth RT Closed 1955 & replaced by Grangemouth Road  
Helensburgh RT Helensburgh WT/RT
Kilbowie * Closed ?
Kilsyth RT Kilsyth RT
Larbert * Larbert RT
Lennoxtown RT Closed 1/1/1958    
Milngavie RT Milngavie WT/RT
Old Kilpatrick RT Closed 1949/50
Slamannan RT Slamannan RT
      Opened 1968? Tillicoultry RT

* Not yet in operation but to be Retained

Stations Opened

? 3/3/1955 Falkirk
? 7/3/1958 Dumbarton
6th 8/6/1960 Larbert
? 25/2/1962 Clydebank
? 17/1/1964 Alloa
? 12/5/1965 Stirling       (afternoon)
? 12/5/1965 Doune        (night)
? 18/7/1967 Bridge of Allan
? 12/6/1968 Tillicoultry
? 20/11/1968 Kilsyth
? 11/6/1969 Slamannan
? 23/11/1972 Garelochhead
? 8/11/1973 Cumbernauld
? 11/9/1974 Milngavie
? 7/5/1975 Helensburgh


The original cap badge was the standard Scottish Fire Brigade one of the Home Office star, red ring and in the centre of the ring a heraldic jet of water playing on a fire over the Scottish National Emblem (Thistle in a golden field) with CENTRAL FIRE BRIGADE in the red ring. About 1968 the centre of the cap badge was split into two on the left was the normal Scottish badge and on the right the cross of St Andrew in red and chrome with the Coat of Arms of Dumbartonshire, Clackmannanshire and Stirlingshire.



MAIN INDEX                     1948 INDEX