Fife.jpg (39520 bytes)

Fife Fire Brigade came into operation on the 16th May, 1948 under the Fire Services Act, 1947 covering the county of Fife and the burghs of Dunfermline and Kirkcaldy. The Brigade continued until Regionalisaton on 16th May, 1975 when it retained the same name and area but came under Fife Regional Council instead of theFife Fire Area Joint Committee.


1948 to 1970                                Dunnikier Road,  Kirkcaldy
1970 to 1975                                Strathore Road, Thornton, Kirkcaldy, KY1 4DF


1948 to 1954                                 Firemaster W.H.Moore MBE KPFSM
1954 to 1964                                 Firemaster A.J.Greenslade MBE GIFireE
1964 to 1967                                 Firemaster P.Watters MIFireE
1967 to 1971                                 Firemaster T.N.Watkins MIFireE
1971 to 1975                                 Firemaster F.Partington FIFireE



1948       1975  
Kirkcaldy WT/RT   Retained disbanded 1975 Kirkcaldy WT
Dunfermline WT/RT   Retained disbanded 1975 Dunfermline WT
Methil WT/RT   Retained disbanded 1960 Methil WT
Markinch RT   Closed 1973    Replaced by Glenrothes Glenrothes WT
      Opened 1970 Rosyth WT
      Opened 1970 Thornton WT
Burntisland RT     Burntisland RT
Lochgelly RT     Lochgelly RT
Cowdenbeath RT     Cowdenbeath RT
Cupar RT     Cupar RT
St. Andrews RT     St. Andrews RT
Newburgh RT     Newburgh RT
Auchtermuchty RT     Auchtermuchty RT
Tayport RT     Tayport RT
Crail RT   Disbanded 1956    
Anstruther RT     Anstruther RT
St. Monance RT     St. Monance RT
Comrie RT   Disbanded 1951    


Stations Built

Station Occupied Official opening
Glenrothes   12/3/1974



Lieut. Col. M. E. Lindsay, Craigfoddie, Deputy Lieutenant of Fife, attended Wednesday's meeting of Fife Fire Area Joint Committee in Cupar to present the King's Police and Fire Service Medal to Firemaster W. H. Moore.
(The St Andrews Citizen, Saturday, September 27, 1952. Page 8)

Two separate Auxiliary Fire Service stations also operated at Kirkcaldy (Beverage Park) and Auchtermuchty (Stathmiglo) at various times during the 1956-1966 period.


MAIN INDEX                             1948 INDEX