The Lanarkshire Fire Brigade was formed on the 16th of May 1948 and covered the whole county of Lanarkshire including the burghs therein. With Local Government reform on the 16th May 1975 along with Glasgow Fire Service, and parts of Central Area Fire Brigade, South Western Area Fire Brigade, and Western Area Fire Brigade it became Strathclyde Fire Brigade.
1 Divisional Officer (Deputy Firemaster)
1 Column Officer (Third Officer)
2 Company Officers
1 Leading Firewoman
1948 to Late '60s Knowetop, Motherwell
Late '60s to 1975 Bothwell Road, Hamilton
1948 to 1962 Firemaster Alexander H Nisbet OBE GM
1963 to 1975 Firemaster John Stewart OBE QFSM
|Re-opened 1/9/1949 as W/T & R/T||Bishopbriggs||WT/RT|
|New Station 1961||East Kilbride||WT|
|Bellshill||RT||Closed 28/4/1962 re-opened?||Bellshill||WT|
|Cambuslang||RT||Closed 7/10/1961 re-opened?||Cambuslang||WT|
|Stepps||Vol.||Was RT by 1961||Stepps||RT|
|Crawford||Vol.||Closed April 1961?|
Report on fire Cover in Lanarkshire in 1966
Fire Stations 1950
Extracts from Joint Board Minutes.
Radio call signs for Rutherglen were 1st(PE) FM24, 2nd(WrT)
FM25, TL FM26, Station Officer FM24A, Station Van FM24B.
(From Billy Sweeney (Mighty Mouse) ex-Rutherglen and East Kilbride. 26/6/2010)
The brigade was made up of two divisions, A was north of the River Clyde and B was south of the River Clyde.
The following stations were built by Lanarkshire Fire Brigade:-
The strength of each Part time Retained Unit was increased by 1 Section Leader.
(Lanarkshire Fire Brigade Annual Report. 1950 – 1951. Page 19.)
Under the fire services act of 1947, fire
brigades, which had been nationalised during the second World War, were returned
to the control of local authorities, as from 16 May 1948. The advantage of
organisation on a regional basis had been realised, and the act constituted the
whole of Lanarkshire, including the burghs, a Fire Area for administrative
purposes. Thereupon the county council and the town councils of the large burghs
drafted the Lanarkshire Fire Area Administration Scheme Order, 1948. To a
Lanarkshire Fire Brigade Joint Committee the county council appoints annually 16
members, the town council of Motherwell and Wishaw four members, and the town
councils of Airdrie, Coatbridge, Hamilton and Rutherglen two members each, a
total of 28.
As the scheme is at present operated, whole time fire stations are maintained at Motherwell, Coatbridge, Hamilton, Rutherglen, Lanark, and Bishopbriggs. Part time stations are situated at Abington, Bellshill, Biggar, Cambuslang, Douglas, Larkhall, Lesmahagow, Shotts, Stepps, and Strathaven (where a new station has been completed). In view of developments at East Kilbride a station will be erected there.
(The Third Statistical Account of Scotland Vol. VIII. The County of Lanark (1960). Page 95)
LANARKSHIRE FIRE BRIGADE 1960
Full Time Stations Part Time Stations
East Kilbride later Shotts
If you know of any mistakes in this or have any additional information please let me know.
MAIN INDEX 1948 INDEX